Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Wiley and Heron?

From what I've heard it's Wiley and either Heron or Purifoy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
My stepdad was right about money and Arizona, but he also said it about them getting guys over USC, so, lol.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

https://twitter.com/JasonRileyWDRB/status/912811444856598528

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

http://tucson.com/sports/arizonawil...2ac626eb67.html

quote:

Wildcats assistant Book Richardson facing up to 60 years in prison in bribery scandal

60 years!!

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Duckaerobics posted:

Yeah got home and saw some of the excerpts of the indictment and Person is definitely talking about Wiley in some, saying he could steer a kid who would join the team in the spring semester and play 1.5 years before he's eligible for the draft.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

also he will find the real killer

SteelFusion
Jan 10, 2006

that cow college

Duckaerobics posted:

Pretty sure P-1 is Purifoy - they make mention of Person telling him to maybe tell his stepdad about the deal, but not his sisters. Heron's bio on the AU site sounds like his parents are still together and he only has 2 brothers. Purifoy's bio only mentions his mom.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Too bad white collar criminals never get anywhere near the max years.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

All the same I'm sure he's thinking uh can I have the NCAA investigate this instead?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

kiimo posted:

If you somehow involve Nike in this as well basically all of college basketball save the handful of Under Armour teams go down with it.

Arizona is a Nike school but it does not appear in their case that this was shoe related, rather "work with this financial guy" related.

From the story you just posted it certainly looks like Quinerly is the guy who got paid.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

kiimo posted:

60 years!!

Guessing that's floating the maximum to get the guy to plea and roll over on everyone else. This is going to be a long time shaking out.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
I am gonna just go out on a limb and say Sean Miller is probably out sooner or later

He and Book Richardson have been together since Xavier

fuckin :rip: Arizona

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
Well, Dave Wojcik's resignation is explained now and it's no good

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Seriously just loving toss him out the door, Louisville. He's already on (in-conference) suspension for hiring hookers for high school kids, this isn't gonna get better.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

fast cars loose anus posted:

Couple fun facts: Dawkins was fired from his agent job because he racked up $42,000 in Uber bills on some NBA player's credit card, and Michel once tried to beat up Dominique Wilkins over money he claimed he was owed for suits. Michel also used to be an NBA ref.

Sometimes i feel like i'm the only not-greedy person on earth.

How did he rack up that much in uber bills anyway? Hookers?

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

got any sevens posted:

Sometimes i feel like i'm the only not-greedy person on earth.

How did he rack up that much in uber bills anyway? Hookers?

quote:

The agent reportedly used the Uber account—which belonged to a player who was reportedly not an ASM client—1,865 times between July 2015 and May 2016, although no other employees at ASM were found to be responsible for the illegal activity.

That's an average of about five and a half rides a day so I have to assume he was using it to go literally anywhere and also getting his friends/family in on it.

e: also hookers yeah

fast cars loose anus fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Sep 27, 2017

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
as a bonus, louisville getting the death penalty and pitino being fired will probably cause the majority of the great commonwealth of kentucky to collapse into a smugness singularity emanating from the general area of lexington

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak

It is absolutely amazing how tonedeaf he is to all of this. He is again claiming innocence and ignorance to everything that happened. If nothing else, the NCAA should use that against him for lack of institutional control. He's basically admitting to it.

The NCAA will never get to him though, at least as an active head coach. They could throw a show cause on him but he's not coaching anywhere again after this anyway. Buzz around here is there is major news coming from the university in the morning, and I'd be shocked if it is not his firing, because as stated above he obviously is not going to resign.

I think Jurich has to go too. He is already at odds with the new president, who is already trying to clean things up in the non-athletics related scandals that are plaguing UL. Jurich was furious that the president reworked the deal with the city on the YUM! Center, which lessened UL's control over and revenue from the facility. Throw in all the other dirty stuff Jurich has overseen, including hiring Petrino again after blasting his character when he left the first time, and his gross misuse of university, not just athletic department, funds. They used university foundation money to buy a golf course. Hell, he even got Papa John kicked off the athletic board (though not the overall university board of directors) because he spoke negatively of the athletic program, and he's the guy whose name is on your football stadium.

Any other university would have fired their coach, and probably the AD, for the stripper scandal alone. This one is much worse, and I don't think either of them survive this.

I honestly feel sorry for their fans. Sure, there is some pleasure in the schadenfrued after UL fans ragged UK fans for years about how it doesn't matter how many titles UK wins, they'll all come down anyway because Calipari is a cheater. Of course it is their coach who has been proven the cheater, both in marriage and in basketball, and it is their banner that is coming down. But for ones I've heard from, this is the last straw. They're all out of defending Pitino and Jurich at this point. There's still some out there in denial, but not many. I don't wish the death penalty on the program, mostly because the severe negative economic impact it would have on the city and the state. So much of the downtown revitalization is centered around the YUM!Center. But they could be looking at a complete program rebuild not unlike what Kentucky went through in the late 80's, orchestrated ironically enough by the very man that is bringing their program down.

TheAlmightyFrog fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Sep 27, 2017

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

uncurable mlady posted:

as a bonus, louisville getting the death penalty and pitino being fired will probably cause the majority of the great commonwealth of kentucky to collapse into a smugness singularity emanating from the general area of bowling green go hilltoppers

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
I think Papa John bought the hookers, and nothing has proven me wrong

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
https://twitter.com/NoEscalators/status/912673034426880000
:drat:

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

elentar posted:

Guessing that's floating the maximum to get the guy to plea and roll over on everyone else. This is going to be a long time shaking out.

Oh yeah that's definitely what's going on, but that's also why the feds are really loving good at getting people to roll over on everyone else. I agree this is going to go on for quite a while.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
Can't wait for March Madness this year to be Evansville v. Prairie View A&M. Purplest team wins!

FrankeeFrankFrank
Apr 21, 2005

Say word son.
Can't wait til Pitino is a talking head on some studio show and gets to comment on some future NCAA scandal.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

If Pitino ends up getting actually named as one of the people on the calls the FBI has, no one is going to have anything to do with him except maybe some third tier Euro/Asian team. He'll be radioactive.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

uncurable mlady posted:

as a bonus, louisville getting the death penalty and pitino being fired will probably cause the majority of the great commonwealth of kentucky to collapse into a smugness singularity emanating from the general area of lexington

Just lmao if you think Cal isn't next.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Adun posted:

JFC if they give Louisville the death penalty ....

http://deadspin.com/louisvilles-arena-deal-is-a-complete-disaster-1797126730

And their biggest tenant might get shut down

The death penalty is never getting used again, at least not on a D1 football or basketball team.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Is there any reason the schools with the assistants accepting bribes to guide current players to certain advisers would experience much blowback as far as NCAA sanctions? These guys were acting outside the interests of the school and the team and just exploiting their players for personal gain. The school gains no tangible benefit from it; it's effectively the same as if an assistant had been embezzling money from the team. He's fired, and he's going to jail, but if that's the extent of it I don't see why Auburn, OkSt, Arizona, etc. have anything to worry about other than the black eye.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Just lmao if you think Cal isn't next.

I mean, it wouldn't surprise me one bit, although I'd like to think he's better at covering his tracks. :colbert:

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

TheAlmightyFrog posted:

Throw in all the other dirty stuff Jurich has overseen, including hiring Petrino again after blasting his character when he left the first time

I don't really know anything about Jurich, but the fact that he wasn't too proud to hire back Petrino when the opportunity presented itself has always left me with a good impression of the guy. It was a brave choice, and it's certainly paid off.

Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

General Dog posted:

Is there any reason the schools with the assistants accepting bribes to guide current players to certain advisers would experience much blowback as far as NCAA sanctions? These guys were acting outside the interests of the school and the team and just exploiting their players for personal gain. The school gains no tangible benefit from it; it's effectively the same as if an assistant had been embezzling money from the team. He's fired, and he's going to jail, but if that's the extent of it I don't see why Auburn, OkSt, Arizona, etc. have anything to worry about other than the black eye.

Well Auburn is going to lose the head coach and two of the best players on the team, which is probably going to be pretty devastating to a team trying to get things together. This may very well destroy Auburn's basketball program, especially considering the federal charges and the chances that these guys rat out everyone they can trying to get their sentences reduced.

This time line for the Chuck Person stuff is pretty damning. The FBI has a player on video and audio recording taking money from the cooperating witness.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Duckaerobics posted:

Well Auburn is going to lose the head coach and two of the best players on the team, which is probably going to be pretty devastating to a team trying to get things together. This may very well destroy Auburn's basketball program, especially considering the federal charges and the chances that these guys rat out everyone they can trying to get their sentences reduced.

This time line for the Chuck Person stuff is pretty damning. The FBI has a player on video and audio recording taking money from the cooperating witness.

Isn't Bruce Pearl the head coach?

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
just past 10am in Louisville, how much longer till Pitino gets the boot?

Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah he's the head coach, but even if he knew nothing about it per NCAA rules he's responsible. Add on the fact that he was already on thin ice with the NCAA and his career is probably over.

also,
https://twitter.com/michaeleaves/st...today-108060400

FrankeeFrankFrank
Apr 21, 2005

Say word son.

GobiasIndustries posted:

just past 10am in Louisville, how much longer till Pitino gets the boot?

They will probably take him to lunch, let him cum down his leg one more time, and then give him the bad news.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

General Dog posted:

Well, Lamont Evans, thought he charges relate to the agent thing, was also recorded saying that he was providing money to current players, and was also asking for money to pay a recruit.

Though it's possible he was full of poo poo.

That's the only one I've read somewhat carefully due to my Underwood interest.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

General Dog posted:

Well I'll be danged it's almost as if these large corporate-structure school groups (and there's all kinds of books about American Universities increasingly resembling corporations both in operation and intention) were designed specifically to Limit the Liability of their governors.

-No no no, it wasn't a go-ahead from management that lead us to commit those regulatory infractions, I'm simply so incompetent a businessman that I have no idea what my company does during its normal operations.
-Ahh, all's well and good then. I suppose we'll have to double your executive bonus as fair compensation for guiding us through this rough patch of public scrutiny.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

EvanTH posted:

Well I'll be danged it's almost as if these large corporate-structure school groups (and there's all kinds of books about American Universities increasingly resembling corporations both in operation and intention) were designed specifically to Limit the Liability of their governors.

-No no no, it wasn't a go-ahead from management that lead us to commit those regulatory infractions, I'm simply so incompetent a businessman that I have no idea what my company does during its normal operations.
-Ahh, all's well and good then. I suppose we'll have to double your executive bonus as fair compensation for guiding us through this rough patch of public scrutiny.

I'm talking about the assistant coaches scam that didn't (as far as we've been told) involve any money going in the pockets of players. They were taking money from professional managers/advisers to direct current players toward them when they're ready to go pro. This isn't something the school would want or benefit from, it's 100% a side hustle on the part of the implicated assistants.

Have they likely also done shady poo poo for their employers? Of course, but that's not the issue at hand right this minute.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

General Dog posted:

Remember the USC Reggie Bush sanctions? Those were for this same kind of thing (and total bullshit too :argh:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

The Glumslinger posted:

Remember the USC Reggie Bush sanctions? Those were for this same kind of thing (and total bullshit too :argh:)

Bush got something though, it's not clear the players these assistants were delivering were getting anything. Again, this is apparently a totally separate case from the Addidas money funneling.

• Locked thread