Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Godholio posted:

Unless that's a lake, probably something a bit different here.

The tweet is tagged "#Terracina" and that's on the coast, so probably not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Yikes. Doesn't look like he punched out.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

He must have ignored the computer telling him to pull up. What's surprising is not bailing, I've seen similar crashes but once the pilot sees the ground and sees that his pull out isn't going to work they punch out pretty fast. Obviously a lot going on.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBQoFoV05IE

longer and better quality video, crash is about 6m in

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Elendil004 posted:

He must have ignored the computer telling him to pull up. What's surprising is not bailing, I've seen similar crashes but once the pilot sees the ground and sees that his pull out isn't going to work they punch out pretty fast. Obviously a lot going on.

Yeah I'm pretty shocked he didn't bail; the plane was aimed away from the crowd the whole way. Maybe he thought he could still pull out of it?

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
looked like he was going way too fast to pull out from that low, he pulled up from fairly low altitudes earlier, dunno why he would make that mistake and ignore warnings though

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Do fighter jets have the same whoop whoop pull up alarm that commercial planes have?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

[quote="“Hot Karl Marx”" post="“476716656”"]
looked like he was going way too fast to pull out from that low, he pulled up from fairly low altitudes earlier, dunno why he would make that mistake and ignore warnings though
[/quote]

Maybe he blacked out or had some other medical emergency. Seems more likely than him just ignoring the fact that he was headed for the water.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

aphid_licker posted:

Do fighter jets have the same whoop whoop pull up alarm that commercial planes have?

Bitching Betty don't talk Italian apparently

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Wouldn't have helped there. He was already trying.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Probably a repost but gently caress it

https://twitter.com/danheed/status/912109682881208320

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

I feel like this should have an auto-reply of last year's tannerite-lawnmower man.

AHHH! AH BLUOFF MAH LEG!!!

edit: holy poo poo are we in a loving time warp? I wondered why this felt like forums deju vu:

Duke Chin posted:

"AUW I BLEW MUH LEG OFF!!"

...no? It didn't end like that guy? Aww, too bad.

Duke Chin fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Sep 26, 2017

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Duke Chin posted:

I feel like this should have an auto-reply of last year's tannerite-lawnmower man.

AHHH! AH BLUOFF MAH LEG!!!

edit: holy poo poo are we in a loving time warp? I wondered why this felt like forums deju vu:

lol i knew it was a repost but I didnt think it was me

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Whatever happened to that idiot who just about severed his leg?

Destro
Dec 29, 2003

time to wake up
Really good article on Raqqa

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/resources/idt-sh/the_city_fit_for_no_one_raqqa_syria_islamic_state_group

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

not caring here posted:

Whatever happened to that idiot who just about severed his leg?

pretty sure the lawnmower man got his poo poo severed fully

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

https://twitter.com/sommervilletv/status/912976391909646337

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
Here have a fresh one:

https://i.imgur.com/YrDRWpt.mp4

and then a... blast from the past :downsrim: :

https://i.imgur.com/nH4Rl34.mp4

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

This is a random question from someone whose only experience is Youtube videos...

If an explosion happened on/in a building and an untrained person was standing about 100 feet away, and not expecting it or looking at it, would that person be able to tell the difference between a strong enough car bomb or suicide bomb vs. a 250lb or 500lb bomb dropped on the same location?

Would a trained person, i.e. someone who has seen both in person before, be able to tell the difference?

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
The one thing any person only 100ft from a big enough car bomb or a 250-500 pound bomb would be pretty certain about is that they're extremely dead or in the process of being extremely dead in short order.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Phil Moscowitz posted:

This is a random question from someone whose only experience is Youtube videos...

If an explosion happened on/in a building and an untrained person was standing about 100 feet away, and not expecting it or looking at it, would that person be able to tell the difference between a strong enough car bomb or suicide bomb vs. a 250lb or 500lb bomb dropped on the same location?

Would a trained person, i.e. someone who has seen both in person before, be able to tell the difference?

Untrained/first few times its more like, Holy poo poo! Then, oh, that one was smaller/bigger than the last.

With enough exposure you tend to get a feel for what went off/the size of the munition/bomb.

That being said, if you are 100ft from a 500lb bomb, you are not having a good day if you survive.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Duzzy Funlop posted:

The one thing any person only 100ft from a big enough car bomb or a 250-500 pound bomb would be pretty certain about is that they're extremely dead or in the process of being extremely dead in short order.

Fair enough.

I guess what I mean is do these explosions look or sound or act any differently? If you're sitting behind adequate cover, in an armored vehicle, etc.

Like these dudes--bomb looks like it hit on the hill like 20 feet from where they are sitting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSzBCgbicbA

Phil Moscowitz fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Sep 27, 2017

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Fair enough.

I guess what I mean is do these explosions look or sound or act any differently? If you're sitting behind adequate cover, in an armored vehicle, etc.

Like these dudes--bomb looks like it hit on the hill like 20 feet from where they are sitting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSzBCgbicbA

Those dudes were saved by a solid rock cliff face. They felt that explosion in their bones. I would be surprised if none of them had their brains scrambled some.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
250lbs of HE doesn't really care whether it's contained in a steel bomb case or a pickup truck when it goes off. Any difference in sound isn't something someone could perceive.

Different kinds of HE have different blast characteristics. Two quantities of merit are called brisance and heave. The former is directly related to detonation pressure, which in turn determines the strength of the shockwave. The second is the capability of the explosion to do work. You can think of brisance as the capability of the bomb to break things into pieces, and heave as how far it throws them. Military explosives are generally higher brisance because they're in a steel case that is intended to fragment into shrapnel and not just burst open on one side.

Military explosives are also more energetic than non-military, because military explosives operate under tight constraints. If you want a bigger car bomb, steal a bigger car. If you're mining, drill a bigger hole and pour in more ANFO. But you can't make an artillery barrel or bomb case arbitrarily wide.

What this means is that a 500lb. GP bomb which is about 250lbs of steel bomb case and 250lbs of HMX will be more energetic than 250lbs of Semtex packed into the frame of a car, both because it's going to turn the 250lbs of steel bomb case into flying lawnmower blades, and because 250lbs of HMW will release considerably more energy than 250lbs of Semtex. But this is all engineering differences, stuff that maybe you could determine after the fact by forensic examination of the scene of the explosion. If either of them goes off right next to you there's no loving way you'd be able to tell the difference based on your own senses.

Obviously the sound of an aerial bomb or artillery shell falling on your head is going to sound different than someone driving an old Yugo up to your checkpoint, but I don't think that's what you mean.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

Duzzy Funlop posted:

https://fat.gfycat.com/MeagerGenuineBasilisk.webm

edit: Oh poo poo I learned a new word today! :toot:

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

ASAPI posted:

Those dudes were saved by a solid rock cliff face. They felt that explosion in their bones. I would be surprised if none of them had their brains scrambled some.

I think a few of them up top are definitely not doing well, you can see it toward the end of the video.

Phanatic posted:

250lbs of HE doesn't really care whether it's contained in a steel bomb case or a pickup truck when it goes off. Any difference in sound isn't something someone could perceive.

Different kinds of HE have different blast characteristics. Two quantities of merit are called brisance and heave. The former is directly related to detonation pressure, which in turn determines the strength of the shockwave. The second is the capability of the explosion to do work. You can think of brisance as the capability of the bomb to break things into pieces, and heave as how far it throws them. Military explosives are generally higher brisance because they're in a steel case that is intended to fragment into shrapnel and not just burst open on one side.

Military explosives are also more energetic than non-military, because military explosives operate under tight constraints. If you want a bigger car bomb, steal a bigger car. If you're mining, drill a bigger hole and pour in more ANFO. But you can't make an artillery barrel or bomb case arbitrarily wide.

What this means is that a 500lb. GP bomb which is about 250lbs of steel bomb case and 250lbs of HMX will be more energetic than 250lbs of Semtex packed into the frame of a car, both because it's going to turn the 250lbs of steel bomb case into flying lawnmower blades, and because 250lbs of HMW will release considerably more energy than 250lbs of Semtex. But this is all engineering differences, stuff that maybe you could determine after the fact by forensic examination of the scene of the explosion. If either of them goes off right next to you there's no loving way you'd be able to tell the difference based on your own senses.

Obviously the sound of an aerial bomb or artillery shell falling on your head is going to sound different than someone driving an old Yugo up to your checkpoint, but I don't think that's what you mean.

Good info, thanks! This is what I was wondering.

I was just wondering in the context of Syria for example, as we've seen investigations into whether an explosion in a hospital or other civilian building was caused by an airstrike or by a bomb, how reliable are eyewitness accounts of what they see/hear/feel as far as the explosion is concerned.

This may be obvious but I assume buildings, walls, vehicles etc. will diminish the shockwave and absorb shrapnel to varying degrees, whereas totally open areas like the roadway above will do nothing.

Phil Moscowitz fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Sep 27, 2017

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Phil Moscowitz posted:

I was just wondering in the context of Syria for example, as we've seen investigations into whether an explosion in a hospital or other civilian building was caused by an airstrike or by a bomb, how reliable are eyewitness accounts of what they see/hear/feel as far as the explosion is concerned.

Eyewitness accounts about *anything* aren't reliable.

Cabbage Disrespect
Apr 24, 2009

ROBUST COMBAT
Leonard Riflepiss
Soiled Meat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZzFwjT-D10M

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

There's a whole scene in Clear and Present Danger to address this.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
The machine is still on, Moira

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Pesticide20 posted:

The machine is still on, Moira

How much is the deposit?

Two, million, dollars.

Sexual Lorax
Mar 17, 2004

HERE'S TO FUCKING

Fun Shoe

poo poo

I only know enough about piloting to be dangerous, but the decision to stay on the ground came way way way too late there. When the landing chutes popped, I was expecting it to end with a lot of black smoke and burning trees.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Man the book's ending for Cortez is so much better. Instead of just shooting him, the US hands him over to the Cuban spy agency that had been hunting him at GITMO. Likewise Escobedo gets delivered to the hands of a rival cartel.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

WAR CRIME SYNDICAT posted:

How much is the deposit?

Two, million, dollars.

Would you take a company check?

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Sometimes you can get lucky when it comes to bombs landing near you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQ82dCcqpBY&t=32s

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

tastefully arranged labia posted:

Man the book's ending for Cortez is so much better. Instead of just shooting him, the US hands him over to the Cuban spy agency that had been hunting him at GITMO. Likewise Escobedo gets delivered to the hands of a rival cartel.

TBH all of the books to movies were trash.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Listen to this buckaroo.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Syrian Lannister posted:

TBH all of the books to movies were trash.

You arrogant rear end! You've killed us!

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

I would like to have seen Montana.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Here's a playlist of 8 videos of vietnam stuff set to the classics