Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Wow, that was fast! I didn't expect any bug fixes for at least another week.

Something uplifting from my galaxy of assholes and murderers:

This is the first time I've played a single run for long enough that I could actually do this! Take this, dimensional horror!

Thanks to dropping right on top of the horror, my losses were almost zero: Two battleships and four destroyers. Now if the fanatic purifiers bordering me would just stop trying to one-up me in ship-building, I could finally bring them down too, but alas, their fleet is even stronger then mine. Time to go back to expanding the fleet!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

quote:

- Traits are now restricted by moddable species archetypes rather than species classes, so new species classes need only be assigned the correct archetype instead of having to be added to every trait. Archetypes can be set to inherit the traits of other archetypes for easy creation of new archetypes with unique traits
Ohh yeah baby, that's the stuff.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo
Welp. I took down a contingency world but now I lack the fleet to take another and everyone else in the galaxy are being completely worthless, A/FE's included. I'll just watch the slow decline into hell now. Also, gotta say that I really appreciated the contingency world spawning another 100k+ fleet out of thin loving air when its fortification was at ~3k/20k.

Those contingency fleets are pretty bad, they chew up shielded battleships like candy. I'm not sure how I ought to fight them. Hit and run doesn't seem to work since they seem to outrange or be equal with my stuff even with long X slotters on battleships and a +20% range commanders.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
The Contingency fleets will always take a percentage of whatever you throw at them thanks to their arc emitters, so you need a strong mineral income to maintain a fight against them. They have relatively weak armour, so kinetics are a good option against them, twinned with energy torpedoes on corvettes to handle shields. You do need to ensure that you maintain range by arriving in system sufficiently far from them to take advantage of your range, however.

I lucked into the Encoder/Decoder reward from the Fortress in my game, so my fleets are high evasion corvettes plus battleships with two decoders and consequently highly accurate kinetic artillery. I use cruisers and destroyers primarily to screen the battleships.

A word of warning: they have no flak, so you might think bombers would be a good idea, but the one time I tried them the bombers flew around them for age without actually firing, I assume because of their low tracking.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

I'm usually just a "follow the resources" kind of space dictator president, but in my current game I've managed to find, all relatively near my homeworld, a 25-tile +15% minerals planet, a +20% Physics planet, a +20% Engineering planet (in the same system as the Physics planet), and a +25% Society Planet. This is the kind of thing that awakens my desire for Civ IV-era economic hyper-specialization. Honestly I wish I could find planets like this all the time.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Is there a primer on fleet composition/design somewhere? I usually plop down the biggest thing I have enough mineral for at the end of the month, and end up with horribly unbalanced fleets.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
One really encouraging thing about Synthetic Dawn is that the number of nasty bugs people are reporting seems to be way down compared to previous DLCs, and there's already a beta patch targeting almost all all the new issues I've seen reported. It's definitely a nice improvement, great work!

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Fat Samurai posted:

Is there a primer on fleet composition/design somewhere? I usually plop down the biggest thing I have enough mineral for at the end of the month, and end up with horribly unbalanced fleets.

I'm lazy but also can not not build something, so I build simply everything balanced to be equal in number. Minus or plus a couple ships in every category. If you scroll up for example, you'll see my fleet has nearly the same number of battleships, cruisers, destroyers and corvettes. It's a mess, but still easy to remember.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Main Paineframe posted:

One really encouraging thing about Synthetic Dawn is that the number of nasty bugs people are reporting seems to be way down compared to previous DLCs, and there's already a beta patch targeting almost all all the new issues I've seen reported. It's definitely a nice improvement, great work!

The worst I found wasn't being able to fix megastructures and tributary wargoal not working but they seem fixed.

I'm doing this early habitat run and it works well, I got voidborn as my 2nd perk. I also started next to a +25% mineral 25 size planet and a +15% mineral 24 size planet. Ran a constantly energy shortage in the early game due to smothering these planets with mines and robots but now they're supplying the raw materials to mass produce habitats which pump out energy. Horray!

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Sep 27, 2017

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
I'm about 100 years into my first Synthetic Dawn game, some thoughts:

Making new templates and assigning them to bots doesn't seem worth what you get out of it. I haven't felt like it's useful to do once, unlike bio-pops where a) habitability is a big issue and b) you only need to convert the pop of one world once to use it as a colony ship seedworld for that climate type from then on. I'm not far enough to tell if you can unlock 'advanced' machine traits like with bio pops, maybe that would change my mind. The decision making calculus taking into account mechanical (:haw:) differences between machine and organic pops really diminishes the usefulness of applying templates vs. building new ones. Maybe instead of clogging up your science (taking 10 years to upgrade 1 world) it should take time + cost minerals / energy for machines and food / energy for organics?

(All that said, after catching up on the thread I will probably update my homeworld only to a leaderbot template so that most of my leaders from there get upgraded. )

I seem to be getting noticeably fewer storyline event popups than before. I did accidentally turn off Leviathans before starting this game, but it seems to be less than even vanilla. Maybe machine empires are disqualified from firing some?

So far I'm really digging the various balance changes, I pursued fighter research and my fleet is mostly bomber / PD cruisers and battleships with some missiles and kinetics sprinkled in. Has been working well, although it seems like bomber visual effects often don't fire, maybe I have too many?

Minor, but I was a little disappointed in the machine world graphics. I was expecting something like Cybertron / one of the paintings that's been used to promote the expansion, more metallic and obviously artificial, instead it looks like the Moon with orange glowy city lines.

On that note, I really hope Paradox is working on a species pack for machines to add ships and city graphics, and maybe a few more portraits. I'd be totally fine with paying for it, the gameplay expansion itself is great and :10bux: for it is a steal.

metasynthetic fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Sep 27, 2017

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
So holy poo poo, maxing the adaptability tree for Inward Perfection gives all farms 1 mineral production too, and stacks with existing mineral production for a tile...and with capitol adjacency. Stack it with Idyllic civic, and now just farms forever. All the population, all the minerals, all the unity.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

metasynthetic posted:

I'm about 100 years into my first Synthetic Dawn game, some thoughts:

Making new templates and assigning them to bots doesn't seem worth what you get out of it. I haven't felt like it's useful to do once, unlike bio-pops where a) habitability is a big issue and b) you only need to convert the pop of one world once to use it as a colony ship seedworld for that climate type from then on. I'm not far enough to tell if you can unlock 'advanced' machine traits like with bio pops, maybe that would change my mind. The decision making calculus taking into account mechanical (:haw:) differences between machine and organic pops really diminishes the usefulness of applying templates vs. building new ones. Maybe instead of clogging up your science (taking 10 years to upgrade 1 world) it should take time + cost minerals / energy for machines and food / energy for organics?

(All that said, after catching up on the thread I will probably update my homeworld only to a leaderbot template so that most of my leaders from there get upgraded. )

I seem to be getting noticeably fewer storyline event popups than before. I did accidentally turn off Leviathans before starting this game, but it seems to be less than even vanilla. Maybe machine empires are disqualified from firing some?

So far I'm really digging the various balance changes, I pursued fighter research and my fleet is mostly bomber / PD cruisers and battleships with some missiles and kinetics sprinkled in. Has been working well, although it seems like bomber visual effects often don't fire, maybe I have too many?

Minor, but I was a little disappointed in the machine world graphics. I was expecting something like Cybertron / one of the paintings that's been used to promote the expansion, more metallic and obviously artificial, instead it looks like the Moon with orange glowy city lines.

On that note, I really hope Paradox is working on a species pack for machines to add ships and city graphics, and maybe a few more portraits. I'd be totally fine with paying for it, the gameplay expansion itself is great and :10bux: for it is a steal.

That's not really true IMO because the bonuses can be applied to specific pops very early and then you can just build those pops exactly where needed forever. For example, research bots can have 2 reduced upkeep traits and the 10% research trait, and your worker bots can have both the mineral/energy production traits and either upkeep reduction or build speed or whatever. Early on that may not seem like much but when you're 200 pops in, 10% less upkeep costs and 10% increased production is like 100 extra energy/minerals per month. That's pretty strong considering how easy of an initial investment it actually takes (click a few buttons very early, build the new bot templates everywhere). You really don't even need to consider the engineering research thing early on, just build the new pops and maybe do it later on when it'll take like 4 months for the 1-3 planets you had back then.

Also robots can stack build speed buffs almost immediately from game start to have something like 180% build speed, finishing each robot in 15-16 months instead of 30. That's better than like all organic growth builds until very late game.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Sep 27, 2017

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Aethernet posted:

The Contingency fleets will always take a percentage of whatever you throw at them thanks to their arc emitters, so you need a strong mineral income to maintain a fight against them. They have relatively weak armour, so kinetics are a good option against them, twinned with energy torpedoes on corvettes to handle shields. You do need to ensure that you maintain range by arriving in system sufficiently far from them to take advantage of your range, however.

I've found the opposite to be true when fighting them myself. Engaging at maximum range allows them the most time to mess with your fleet as you close in. If you have a lot of corvettes that race ahead they'll absorb the blow before the AI starts taking put battleships but I find jumping in ontop of them, or having their raider fleet spawn right next to mine allows you to cause maximum damage right away as you bring 100% of your fleet power into range immediately.

Cruisers can also work as a screen but they are a lot more expensive and time consuming to replace.

In the one game I've fought them in I noticed the awakened preservation AI will attack Contingency fleets and planets they have occupied but will not go after the Sterilization Hubs or homeworld. Normal AI nations are often helpless to stop them unless you have a larger blob that likes to build strong navies.

Annoyingly, in my game all 3 Trader Enclaves managed to get blown up (And none of the science or artisan ones) so the only way to pull in enough minerals to quickly rebuild a fleet was to pull it from my sectors. And guess what: a crisis doesn't count as being at war so that burned through a poo poo load of influence.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

"Build Speed" techs effect what exactly? Buildings? Robots? Ships? Megastructures? Spaceport upgrades? All of the above?

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Is there a way to have the game auto-pause when a research is complete? I sometimes play with my headphones off and miss the notification, and I don't want to miss out on research cycles with the scientist just sitting there idle.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

The good news is your guy will still generate research points even if he doesn't have an assigned research and the unused points get stored until he has something to use them on. I don't know of any setting to make the game pause for research though.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm

Mazz posted:

That's not really true IMO because the bonuses can be applied to specific pops very early and then you can just build those pops exactly where needed forever. For example, research bots can have 2 reduced upkeep traits and the 10% research trait, and your worker bots can have both the mineral/energy production traits and either upkeep reduction or build speed or whatever. Early on that may not seem like much but when you're 200 pops in, 10% less upkeep costs and 10% increased production is like 100 extra energy/minerals per month. That's pretty strong considering how easy of an initial investment it actually takes (click a few buttons very early, build the new bot templates everywhere). You really don't even need to consider the engineering research thing early on, just build the new pops and maybe do it later on when it'll take like 4 months for the 1-3 planets you had back then.

Also robots can stack build speed buffs almost immediately from game start to have something like 180% build speed, finishing each robot in 15-16 months instead of 30. That's better than like all organic growth builds until very late game.

I'm not saying building new robots with updated templates isn't good. I'm saying upgrading old ones isn't worth the required investment IMO, because the factors that drive one to do it for organics don't affect machine pops. It's a fair trade off because of how good building new ones is, sure, but I wish there was much of a point to using the feature.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Astroniomix posted:

The good news is your guy will still generate research points even if he doesn't have an assigned research and the unused points get stored until he has something to use them on. I don't know of any setting to make the game pause for research though.

So is it theoretically possible, then, to have research instantly complete, if I've let it accumulate enough research points while idle?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

How come Defender of the Galaxy got taken out? I liked that perk.

enraged_camel posted:

So is it theoretically possible, then, to have research instantly complete, if I've let it accumulate enough research points while idle?

No, research not spent goes into a pool, and comes out of that pool at the same rate you research normally. This is also where block research points from events go. You research at double speed until you deplete the pool, you can see it if you hover over the research points at the top of the screen. It's a good system. This is also why you never get instant research completions from getting a lump of points due to an event.

The downside is that if you have a few points in the pool, research will show as being completed twice as fast when you initially select it, as the projected time calculations don't take into account pool depletion.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Sep 27, 2017

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

enraged_camel posted:

Sadly no, the stored research gets applied slowly over time.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

OwlFancier posted:

How come Defender of the Galaxy got taken out? I liked that perk.

Defender of the Galaxy was not removed. What are you talking about?

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

enraged_camel posted:

Is there a way to have the game auto-pause when a research is complete? I sometimes play with my headphones off and miss the notification, and I don't want to miss out on research cycles with the scientist just sitting there idle.

There are many things I wish I could auto-pause for, like declarations of war. Am I just missing how to set that, or can it not be changed?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Wiz posted:

Bug: Ascension perk list is too long

Possible solution: move megastructures from being gated behind ascension perks to being available when the appropriate prerequisite techs are researched.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Wiz posted:

It's not in my perk list, is it ethic restricted? I have galactic contender but not defender. I would have assumed if either of them would be restricted it'd be contender given that you can't exactly make peace with the extradimensional horrors. Same with force projection, I can build up a massive navy but not use it to stop everyone getting eaten?

That's my perk list, I already took +20% borders and mind over matter, I'm pacifist/fanatic spiritualist, I don't remember it not being on the list before and I've played this empire a bunch so I figured it was taken out?

Searching it brings up this so I guess I'm not the only one? https://steamcommunity.com/app/281990/discussions/0/1495615865216061821/

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Sep 27, 2017

Jizz into Darkness
Oct 28, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

It's not in my perk list, is it ethic restricted? I have galactic contender but not defender. I would have assumed if either of them would be restricted it'd be contender given that you can't exactly make peace with the extradimensional horrors. Same with force projection, I can build up a massive navy but not use it to stop everyone getting eaten?

That's my perk list, I already took +20% borders and mind over matter, I'm pacifist/fanatic spiritualist, I don't remember it not being on the list before and I've played this empire a bunch so I figured it was taken out?

Searching it brings up this so I guess I'm not the only one? https://steamcommunity.com/app/281990/discussions/0/1495615865216061821/

Doesn't defender of the galaxy only appear if a crisis is happening?

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Picked this game up on the recent sale and enjoying it so far. The music is really chill.
I found a system called covfefe :haw:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jizz into Darkness posted:

Doesn't defender of the galaxy only appear if a crisis is happening?

That would be weird if so given the rate at which you would be acquiring traditions 200 years into the game... And it's never been the case before, given how infrequently I have crises and how frequently I take it for the opinion boost.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Another bug for the pile: After my first fleet reached ~500 fleet points, it stopped accepting new ships. My second fleet stopped around ~100 fleet points. I'm now either forced to make more and progressively smaller fleets, or just deal with not being able to reach my total fleet cap.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Libluini posted:

Another bug for the pile: After my first fleet reached ~500 fleet points, it stopped accepting new ships. My second fleet stopped around ~100 fleet points. I'm now either forced to make more and progressively smaller fleets, or just deal with not being able to reach my total fleet cap.

That isn't a bug, I believe, they put a maximum on how many ships a fleet can have. Is your second fleet made of smaller ships?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

OwlFancier posted:

That isn't a bug, I believe, they put a maximum on how many ships a fleet can have. Is your second fleet made of smaller ships?

No, it's a random collection of smaller and larger ships. Basically what made it in before this happened. It looks like this now:

My main fleet is around 500 fleet strength, the second ~100, the third ~20. It's like every consecutive fleet I make is 80% smaller!

Those ships are sitting there for nearly two years now, by the way. Just refusing to join the tiny 2k strength fleet there. I faintly remember something about a cap on how many ships you can have, but wasn't that 500 ships, not fleet points? I have barely two hundred ships in total. Also, even if it is 500 points, not ships, why can't I make another with that strength?

Edit:

I tired merging the ships with each other instead of the fleet they were sitting on. This way I could reduce this poo poo pile down to two more fleets of ca. 2k and 5k strength. But that's about it, those new fleets absolutely refuse to merge with each other. Now does all of this mean there is no cap and something is wrong with fleet merging, or that there is a cap and something is wrong with how the game enforces the cap? :confused:

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost
I think 100 years need to pass before Defender can be taken. Probably should be greyed out rather than vanish tho.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Libluini posted:

No, it's a random collection of smaller and larger ships. Basically what made it in before this happened. It looks like this now:

My main fleet is around 500 fleet strength, the second ~100, the third ~20. It's like every consecutive fleet I make is 80% smaller!

Those ships are sitting there for nearly two years now, by the way. Just refusing to join the tiny 2k strength fleet there. I faintly remember something about a cap on how many ships you can have, but wasn't that 500 ships, not fleet points? I have barely two hundred ships in total. Also, even if it is 500 points, not ships, why can't I make another with that strength?

Edit:

I tired merging the ships with each other instead of the fleet they were sitting on. This way I could reduce this poo poo pile down to two more fleets of ca. 2k and 5k strength. But that's about it, those new fleets absolutely refuse to merge with each other. Now does all of this mean there is no cap and something is wrong with fleet merging, or that there is a cap and something is wrong with how the game enforces the cap? :confused:

Do your ships have different FTL types or something?

MilkmanLuke
Jul 4, 2012

I'm da prettiest, so I'm da boss.

Baus is boss.
Did you get a different transportation tech recently? Or event ships with their own transport method? Engines don't mix and match well.

Edit: beaten like half my friends' empires in multiplayer

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Wiz posted:

Do your ships have different FTL types or something?

gently caress! Yes, one of my cruiser-designs still had Warp 3 instead of Jump Drives. Now I know why my main fleet is still using warp, while my newer fleets don't. The loving Escort-cruisers are slowing the fleet down, while preventing other ships from joining in! (And this answers why one of my fleets is just a group of cruisers using the outdated design.) :shepface:

Man, I thought I was going crazy there for a moment. Thanks!

Edit:

What a great way to start a war, ha ha! 80% of my fleet strength is now forced to stay in port to upgrade all those slow-rear end cruisers. On the other hand, one of the messed-up fleets surprised an enemy raider force in port, and then destroyed them, their space port and the military station close by. Almost makes it worth to face-plant like this. :v:

Libluini fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Sep 27, 2017

Miles Vorkosigan
Mar 21, 2007

The stuff that dreams are made of.
Sure love fighting the Prethoryn scourge alone while all my fellow Federation members are busy following the fed fleet which isn't moving. :suicide:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Miles Vorkosigan posted:

Sure love fighting the Prethoryn scourge alone while all my fellow Federation members are busy following the fed fleet which isn't moving. :suicide:

Much like they gave up on sectors and let us assume manual control, they need to do the same for ally fleets. The AI will never be good enough or not enrage players so just optionally let them ask/give control of fleets.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I think there may be a bug where you have to toggle the "follow this fleet" button a few times or something? I had a 20k fleet with an ally with a 40k fleet and the opponent with around 40k. The enemy fleet would capture one of my colonies, in hen my ally's fleet would go liberate for me.

Until one day they at seeming random formed up on my fleet and we steamrolled the AI.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Miles Vorkosigan posted:

I've pretty much given up on my first game. I went pure peaceful, made friends with EVERYBODY, and our federation is huge, spanning (at its max) nearly 80% of the galaxy. Sadly, though, we didn't get that last member before the Crisis hit, so we didn't win.

Most members have 50k-100k worth of fleets at any given time. The latecomer had at least 3 60k+ fleets. I, however, have a really hard time building a ship worth a drat. I max out about 20k before fleet caps and such eat my economy alive. I didn't invest anything in ships. Probably a newbie mistake.

It wouldn't be so bad, except I can't get my federation buddies to coordinate to fight the Scourge. It's taken over about a quarter of the galaxy now. Sometimes my buddies will throw 50k at one of the Scourge's 100k fleets, and lose everything. Once I got two 50k fleets following my 20k fleet, and we took out multiple 100k Scourge fleets, but we couldn't so much as dent a single infested world, because 4-5 more 100k Scourge fleets get there before we can finish it off.

The one time I stayed to try to finish off the world, we lost every ship.

I really dunno what to do, except start over. :(

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I found the EU4 ally AI pretty good. My 50k stack suddenly gets attacked by an enemy 80k stack? Suddenly my allies are rushing to the battle to help, and they do. I often feel confident enough to attack with less or equal numbers if allies are around because I know they'll join in fairly quickly. The problem of course is that there's not really any "front" or geography in stellaris war, it's fleets zipping around avoiding each other until they randomly get lucky and catch each other. Your ally's fleet might want to come help but is 10 jumps away from where the battle finally went down and won't get there in time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I just stomped the defenders of a Nazi Bird Land planet flat. My AI-Battlemechs and AI-Titans just stomped through their armies in seconds. That'll teach those one-eyed birds to commit genocide!

Those dumb SF-references are just so good. Too bad my Hunter-Killers are already too outdated, or I would have thrown them into the fray too, just alone for the Terminator-reference. :allears:

• Locked thread