Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

big money big clit posted:

Pobst said the Engine and Brakes were good and the suspension was soft. Which is probably fine, it's not a sports car, it's a "sporty" car.

If it's like any other 'sporty' car, it will have a 'performance' package that gives you stiffer suspension, bigger brakes and some ground effects and stuff, for a few grand on top of the original price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
I guess the biggest reason why I am so skeptical of cars like this is the price. I've said it before but for a lot of luxo buyers in this range, price isn't a big deal. However for a decent subset, they're spending $35-55k on a car, they want it to be really solid. So for cars in this category I want to see them succeed in as many categories and checkboxes as they can, because this is going to be the only car for a lot of people, myself included if I were to buy it used.

If it's a Fiesta, it can be poo poo in a few categories and skate by on its value and advantages in some areas. When you approach $50k, you want to see every box in that category checked as much as possible.

The GT checks a lot to be sure, and it's a great effort.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

CornHolio posted:

If it's like any other 'sporty' car, it will have a 'performance' package that gives you stiffer suspension, bigger brakes and some ground effects and stuff, for a few grand on top of the original price.

The GT is the performance package because it adds the 3.3TT engine, brembo's and LSD. The US spec GT will just have a stiffer suspension then what Motortrend drove at the track.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Fo3 posted:

It was a holden commodore SS, they didn't copy the malibu styling, it was the newer AU version of what the pontiac whatever was, in 4dr. (as the coupe was dropped here a decade ago so it was 4dr or nothing .)
Pretty sure you got them cheaper than what AU sold the SS for; But the price was still high because I remember reading that GM could only sell 4-6k of them per year without breaking CAFE limits

We got a front clip that looked a lot like the Malibu and big anonymous Chevy sedan is not an interesting look.

The SS was never about CAFE.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Monkey Fracas posted:

So the Stinger is a Korean Taurus SHO/Chevy SS? Fine with me.

Would be neat to see them really nail a smaller sporty car, though- sure it'll happen eventually.

The G70 is supposed to be the direct 3 series competitor.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

We got a front clip that looked a lot like the Malibu and big anonymous Chevy sedan is not an interesting look.

The SS was never about CAFE.

The 90s Impala SS (to use an example) was not much of a looker either, it must be said.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
September 26, 2017
When it goes on sale in December, the 2018 Kia Stinger will cost $32,795 to start, including destination, the automaker announced Tuesday. That's for a base model powered by a turbo-4 that makes 255 horsepower.

Models equipped with a twin-turbocharged 3.3-liter V-6 making 365 hp will start at $39,895, again including destination. Rear-drive is standard on all models and all-wheel drive is available for $2,200.

Kia said a fully loaded, all-wheel-drive Kia Stinger will cost around $51,000, but added that full pricing details will arrive next month.

The Kia Stinger will be offered in base, Premium, GT, GT1, and GT2 trim levels with escalating features. Base and Premium versions will be powered by the turbo-4, while the GT versions are V-6-only affairs. GT models will be equipped with the automaker's first electronically adjustable suspension system, partly developed by former BMW M division chief engineer Albert Biermannat Kia's engineering center in Germany.

According to Kia, the V-6-powered Stinger will be able to reach 60 mph in 4.7 seconds, en route to a top speed of 167 mph.

Base versions of the Stinger will have 18-inch wheels, a six-speaker audio system, and a 7.0-inch touchscreen for infotainment. Top-trim versions will sport 19-inch wheels wrapped in performance rubber, an 8.0-inch touchscreen, and a 15-speaker Harmon Kardon audio system that includes subwoofers underneath the front seats.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Well anyway back to cars that AI posters are actually going to buy

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Human Grand Prix posted:

The 90s Impala SS (to use an example) was not much of a looker either, it must be said.

You mean this one?

I always thought they looked pretty fantastic, a sort of less-turbo'd Grand National kind of Impala.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

51 k is way too much for that awd tt.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

euphronius posted:

High output AWD is pretty expensive isn't it?

dk2m
May 6, 2009

Michael Scott posted:

I guess the biggest reason why I am so skeptical of cars like this is the price. I've said it before but for a lot of luxo buyers in this range, price isn't a big deal. However for a decent subset, they're spending $35-55k on a car, they want it to be really solid. So for cars in this category I want to see them succeed in as many categories and checkboxes as they can, because this is going to be the only car for a lot of people, myself included if I were to buy it used.

If it's a Fiesta, it can be poo poo in a few categories and skate by on its value and advantages in some areas. When you approach $50k, you want to see every box in that category checked as much as possible.

The GT checks a lot to be sure, and it's a great effort.

Yeah I agree with this. Once you're ready to start dropping >$45K, the intangibles start becoming a priority. Especially for non-enthusiasts, the element of badge snobbery becomes a real thing. I guess there's a reason why Lexus and Infinity are a thing in the US, spending that much money on a brand like Kia that is marketed as economical and sensible is pretty off putting to your average American consumer.

On the other hand, if that means Kia heavily promoting and incentivizing the car, I'm all for it.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

euphronius posted:

Good thing the V6tt awd starts at $42,050 including destination. If you don't need adaptive cruise/moonroof/auto braking/Heads up display/premium audio/ventilated front seats/etc then you can have your reasonably priced performance GT car.

[quote="“dk2m”" post="“476803860”"]
Yeah I agree with this. Once you’re ready to start dropping >$45K, the intangibles start becoming a priority. Especially for non-enthusiasts, the element of badge snobbery becomes a real thing. I guess there’s a reason why Lexus and Infinity are a thing in the US, spending that much money on a brand like Kia that is marketed as economical and sensible is pretty off putting to your average American consumer.

On the other hand, if that means Kia heavily promoting and incentivizing the car, I’m all for it.
[/quote]

I'm betting most of the non enthusiast Stinger buyers are going to get the 2.0T which is squarely in the $30k range and is well worn territory for the brand.

If you look at this like the Sorento which starts around $29k and tops out at $47k it's not much of a stretch. Kia sells lots of $40k+ Sorento's.

I got word today that the advertised lease on the base 2.0t should be $299/mo with under $2k down. That's with no dealer discounting.

kill me now fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Sep 27, 2017

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

42 is much much better . You could def get under 40 I think new. Under 20 in three years .

Promising

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

kill me now posted:

If you look at this like the Sorento which starts around $29k and tops out at $47k it's not much of a stretch. Kia sells lots of $40k+ Sorento's.

The Sorento is a 3 row crossover, so I don't think it's an especially useful comparison to a sporty sedan with a liftback.

Trampus
Sep 28, 2001

It's too damn hot for a penguin to be just walkin' around here.

KakerMix posted:

You mean this one?

I always thought they looked pretty fantastic, a sort of less-turbo'd Grand National kind of Impala.

Yeah, I've always thought those looked amazing. I worked with a guy that had one and loved seeing it in the parking lot all the time.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

big money big clit posted:

The Sorento is a 3 row crossover, so I don't think it's an especially useful comparison to a sporty sedan with a liftback.

It's an expensive Kia. The comparison is apt

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

KakerMix posted:

You mean this one?

Probably meant the early 2000's FWD one. GARBAGE.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

[quote="“OXBALLS DOT COM”" post="“476804471”"]
It’s an expensive Kia. The comparison is apt
[/quote]

This.

It's not hard to imagine a dad who has 2 or less kids going into a Kia dealership planning on being practical and looking at a Sorento SX AWD only to see the Stinger GT AWD and go the slightly less practical but much cooler and more fun route for about the same cost.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

[quote="“OXBALLS DOT COM”" post="“476804471”"]
It’s an expensive Kia. The comparison is apt
[/quote]

The big horsepower large sports sedan market is not the same as the 3 row crossover market. Buyers are looking for different things as evidenced by the fact that they're buying very different vehicles. The issue isn't "expensive Kia," it's "expensive Kia in a niche market that is almost completely owned by a handful of vehicles with substantially more history and brand recognition in that segment."

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
The argument was specifically "nobody will pay $40k for a Kia." Thie is the rebuttal that plenty of people already do in fact buy $40k Kias.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

euphronius posted:

42 is much much better . You could def get under 40 I think new. Under 20 in three years .

Promising

Not gonna be under 20 in 3 years unless it's a stripper. Car is too good and warranty is too long. More like 5 years for a decent example is my theory.

And you know what? The used market is gonna have some real fuckery, because I think new demand for this is gonna be way lower than A4, 335i etc. but used demand will be up there. Prices will remain floaty.

kill me now posted:

It's not hard to imagine a dad who has 2 or less kids going into a Kia dealership planning on being practical and looking at a Sorento SX AWD only to see the Stinger GT AWD and go the slightly less practical but much cooler and more fun route for about the same cost.

This is a great pipe dream image. I hope it rings true.

Michael Scott fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Sep 27, 2017

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

You can get a 2014 hyundai genesis for $14k. a 2015 which is the newer model for under $20k. 2015 genesis 5.0s for $25k, less than 50% of sticker for a 2 year old car.

$20k V6 stingers in 3 years could be possible, but the first requirement is that someone buys them new which might not happen.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

Powershift posted:

You can get a 2014 hyundai genesis for $14k. a 2015 which is the newer model for under $20k. 2015 genesis 5.0s for $25k, less than 50% of sticker for a 2 year old car.

$20k V6 stingers in 3 years could be possible, but the first requirement is that someone buys them new which might not happen.

If it's a $40k base rwd model the lease buyout price would probably be around $23-24k and at least with most Kia's is pretty close to where the market value is when the lease is up. The question is what the 4cyl/6cyl split is and among those v6 models how many are base rwd ones. In some markets it may be a very small percentage of the cars. Probably going to be 70/30 in favor of 2.0T cars and in the snow belt at least, the V6 models will probably be 90/10 AWD/RWD. Then you have to factor in that 10% of 30% being a 50/50 split between base and loaded up. Then take that and divide up the color option percentages.

If you want one off lease for $23k in 3 years you should probably consider being the person who leases it new or you'll probably be SOL

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

The argument was specifically "nobody will pay $40k for a Kia." Thie is the rebuttal that plenty of people already do in fact buy $40k Kias.

I didn't make that argument, but that's fine. My argument is that I don't think plenty of people will buy THIS $45k Kia.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

CornHolio posted:

God, same. I don't care about any autonomous tech outside of cruise control - I don't want lane departure warnings, or automatic cruise control, or any of that stuff. I don't care about electric or hybrid vehicles. I don't want an automatic transmission. I'm OK with a decent touchscreen and GPS, but I kinda still want a CD player. I don't care about pairing my phone and getting awesome stuff through Android Auto or Apple Carplay (my phone doesn't support Android Auto anyway). I don't want a CUV or SUV.

I want literally every single thing on this list for my next car.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
As far as "modern amenities" my stripper Renegade has cruise control and A/C as an option, and if I were ordering it myself and not buying off the lot I may have even gone without that. Though the steering wheel audio controls are nice, I do like that. Less reaching over to the radio face is always good

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Just FYI- the decision for Canadians is extremely simple-
We only get the TT V6 Stinger with AWD for our market.

So you pay either 45k for a well equipped model or 50k for the fully loaded one.

http://www.kia.ca/stinger2018

For reference I specced out an Audi A4 with all the options the loaded Kia gets:
Automatic Safety features
Adaptive suspension
Rear seat vents
Heads up display
S line package.
Heated steering wheel etc.

The Audi came out to 57k CAD before tax and PDI which would've pushed it north of 60k.

A fully loaded Stinger GT AWD comes in at "under 50k".

Based on this on paper analysis the Stinger GT sits precisely between the A4 and S4 in terms of performance. That's a very good deal if you can't afford to pay for an S4 and want to have a loaded A4 with a longer wheel base and better performance.

Also let's say you're one of those guys in poor financial shape who saved up forever to get a car and will blow away a sizeable amount of money on a downpayment and finance the rest so you can afford it. That KIA will be cheaper to run, have less quality issues, cheaper insurance and cheaper maintenance. If money is a problem for you but you still want a nice car this is the best game in town. You'll sacrifice brand cachet, some performance at limits you will never reach and a nicer interior for a vehicle that overall will please the average driver without making him rue the day he ever decided to spring for a luxury car.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
if money is a problem for you why in the gently caress are you buying a 50k CAD Kia

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

if money is a problem for you why in the gently caress are you buying a 50k CAD Kia

There are people here paying $50k CAD for a nissan altima.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Can't say it's to keep up with the Joneses, because it'd have to be something with brand cachet for that to be the case.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Maybe because YOLO? I remember people saying that a lot. Is that... still a thing?

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

davebo posted:

Maybe because YOLO? I remember people saying that a lot. Is that... still a thing?

No, all the people who said that are dead. Every one.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I'm talking about circumstances where you really want a nice car that you'd be willing to make sacrifices elsewhere to get one and since you'd be sensitive to sudden financial shocks and high insurance premiums you can cut down your cost of ownership with the KIA. And if you are someone who wants to own the car a long time your depreciation isn't as much of an issue either.

In Canada I suspect that Stinger will be cheaper to insure than a Honda Civic and roughly the same price to maintain. The used market for it might be more competitive than we think since brand new buyers would still gravitate towards Audi leases.
I also think incentives will start to pile on by model year 3 which further makes it a compelling choice.

Look theres an entire market of people who like loaded mid sized sedans for their features and comfort but never could afford or justify the price premium for a similarly equipped German car with AWD etc. Now you can get a car that lets you have your cake and eat it too. Considering how many Optima SXTs and Accord Tourings I've seen I think the stinger can catch more than just enthusiasts.

The stinger costs about 5k more than a fully loaded Camry XSE V6 and looks far less "family car" than a Ford Fusion Sport.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Kraftwerk posted:

I'm talking about circumstances where you really want a nice car that you'd be willing to make sacrifices elsewhere to get one and since you'd be sensitive to sudden financial shocks and high insurance premiums you can cut down your cost of ownership with the KIA. And if you are someone who wants to own the car a long time your depreciation isn't as much of an issue either.

In Canada I suspect that Stinger will be cheaper to insure than a Honda Civic and roughly the same price to maintain. The used market for it might be more competitive than we think since brand new buyers would still gravitate towards Audi leases.
I also think incentives will start to pile on by model year 3 which further makes it a compelling choice.

Look theres an entire market of people who like loaded mid sized sedans for their features and comfort but never could afford or justify the price premium for a similarly equipped German car with AWD etc. Now you can get a car that lets you have your cake and eat it too. Considering how many Optima SXTs and Accord Tourings I've seen I think the stinger can catch more than just enthusiasts.

The stinger costs about 5k more than a fully loaded Camry XSE V6 and looks far less "family car" than a Ford Fusion Sport.

It's also worth noting that if I'm reading the spec sheet right, even the base 4cyl US stinger, a ~$30k car, comes with rear A/C vents, heated leather seats, a loving heated steering wheel, carplay and android auto, backup camera, front and rear parking distance sensors.

I looked at Impalas this weekend, and you're past $40k just to get that stuff. Sure GM will pile $4k of incentives on there, but in the market of larger cars the Stinger comes really drat well equipped for the price, and is RWD to boot.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

You're making a gently caress of a lot of assumptions

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
While I think the Stinger is probably a fine car I do have a hard time wondering what the market size is for someone that just has enough money to buy a brand-new car but doesn't care about badges or esteem at all but still wants a bigger GT-style car. I'd have to assume someone struggling to get a 'nice' car is going to get a 'nice' one, an Audi probably. That's 'nice' and a Kia isn't, not yet.
If someone is really struggling they aren't going to buy a new car at all which makes it even easier to get a 'nice' car.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Powershift posted:

No, all the people who said that are dead. Every one.

drat. I guess Lonely Island were right all along.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

Powershift posted:

You're making a gently caress of a lot of assumptions

I suppose I am. I talk to a lot of car dealers and maybe 90% of their order books for Canrys, audis etc are leases. It's almost like the new car market never actually buys to own cars anymore and the used car market just gets the off lease purchases. If you care about money and want luxury it's a no brainer where your lease payments are gonna go. Warranty etc won't matter once you renew.