Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Thanks for the unnecessary, instigating post. It wasn't even funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

um excuse me posted:

Thanks for the unnecessary, instigating post. It wasn't even funny.

It's a hard job, but somebody's gotta do it.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

InitialDave posted:

FFS. Just one quick trip to Halfords, and I had:
- BMW 3-series (debadged 4-pot diesel on a personal plate, absolutely shocking there)

Oh good my old e46 is still on the road.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

cakesmith handyman posted:

Oh good my old e46 is still on the road.
E90 I'm afraid.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
I live in a big city and I saw an Uber on the highway with severe rear end damage (trunk crushed in, tail light was gone, side of bumper crushed, rear side fender gone) to the point where twisted bodywork was rubbing on the mis-aligned tire. Of course the lady had passengers in the back.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

The Locator posted:

Must be somewhat recent (like within the last decade, my ticket was a good number of years ago), since I was ticketed for 10 over while passing. Wish it was legal everywhere.

Perhaps it was more than 10, but the officer kept it at 10 to lower the damage for you, or some weird zone, like what they call an urban district or maybe a work zone. I actually got my drivers licence in Montana and it was issued the same year they got rid of the 'reasonable and prudent' speed limits for highways, and we were taught that 10 over was fine.

And out of curiousity I wanted to check the history of the law and that website was pretty easy to figure out by changing the year.

The law in 1997 http://leg.mt.gov/bills/1997/mca/61/8/61-8-303.htm was still reasonable and proper

quote:

(1) A person operating or driving a vehicle of any character on a public highway of this state shall drive the vehicle in a careful and prudent manner and at a rate of speed no greater than is reasonable and proper under the conditions existing at the point of operation, taking into account the amount and character of traffic, condition of brakes, weight of vehicle, grade and width of highway, condition of surface, and freedom of obstruction to the view ahead. The person operating or driving the vehicle shall drive the vehicle so as not to unduly or unreasonably endanger the life, limb, property, or other rights of a person entitled to the use of the street or highway.

Which is awesome.

and 1999 http://leg.mt.gov/bills/1999/mca/61/8/61-8-303.htm contains :

quote:

(3) A vehicle subject to the speed limits imposed in subsection (1) traveling on a two-lane road may exceed the speed limits imposed in subsection (1) by 10 miles an hour in order to overtake and pass a vehicle and return safely to the right-hand lane.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I got my license in MT when "reasonable and prudent" was still in effect, and I remember when we had two cars out on the highway to practice passing the instructor was like, "yeah, just keep your foot in it until you're clear."

My current passing technique may reflect that advice. Although one time I almost got caught at a short passing lane where a cop was camped out at the end. What a jerk. Cars get so backed up behind a slow moving vehicle or two and if you don't get by, you're going to be sitting there for another 10+ miles.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

StormDrain posted:

Perhaps it was more than 10, but the officer kept it at 10 to lower the damage for you, or some weird zone, like what they call an urban district or maybe a work zone. I actually got my drivers licence in Montana and it was issued the same year they got rid of the 'reasonable and prudent' speed limits for highways, and we were taught that 10 over was fine.

And out of curiousity I wanted to check the history of the law and that website was pretty easy to figure out by changing the year.

The law in 1997 http://leg.mt.gov/bills/1997/mca/61/8/61-8-303.htm was still reasonable and proper

Which is awesome.

and 1999 http://leg.mt.gov/bills/1999/mca/61/8/61-8-303.htm contains :

Well... dunno. My ticket was in that same summer. I bought my car and thoroughly abused 'reasonable and prudent' for the few months before it went away, which made me sad. Mostly drove a company car around up there, and learned exactly where the speed governor on the different models of company car were. The guy who got the Crown Vic was always the first one to get anywhere!

I was only there for half the year (seasonal work), and it wasn't a ticket worth fighting.

I did get this from my time there though...

Pretty much guarantee that I'll never again reach that sort of speed on public roads.

Murphys Law
Nov 1, 2005
What is it with the people who travel for miles in the left lane at one speed who then accelerate the second they begin merging to the right and maintain the higher speed there?

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

I always floor it until I'm out of the oncoming traffic lane when passing, then brake down to a reasonable speed. I assume if a cop ever catches me doing 100mph to pass 3 cars in a 55 zone I'll pay the price, but I'd sooner risk that than spend any more time in the oncoming lane than I have to.

That said I once passed a pair of folks trundleing along at 40 in a 50, getting up to 75 mph in the process and the first car in the oncoming traffic was a cop. I got over with plenty of space to spare and immediately braked back down to 50 mph but I thought I was hosed. He just kept on going.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Maybe it's the same thing as this one guy in a VW this morning on my way home from work. Part of the route is along a stretch of road that goes from two lanes in each direction to one lane. At 7am the road's p.much empty and there is zero point in staying in the left lane because at this one intersection it turns into a left-turn only lane until after the intersection (not sure what the logic is here because I've never seen anyone turn left there in the three years I've driven down this particular road) where the right lane immediately starts merging into it. There are many signs indicating wtf the city planner on a coke binge in 198X was trying to accomplish with this arrangement and most people will move to the right lane long before getting to the intersection.

Anyways, I usually do about 15-20km/h over on this road because that's what traffic generally flows at but someone decided that wasn't fast enough (was hanging pretty close to my rear end) and he did a one blink of the indicator hop into the left lane and started to creep past me as we were were about 1km away from the aforementioned intersecion. When he got about halfway beside me I sped up a little to see if he was actually trying to pass because he seemed to be taking an awfully long time to overtake and ultimately I forgot I was only going to speed up a little, ended up doing 1.5x the limit and forced him to return to the right lane, behind me. He rode my bumper through the intersection, clearly mad that I denied him the pass, only to suddenly slam his brakes, hit his left turn indicator and nearly miss a turn-off into an apartment complex.

rear end in a top hat was gonna pass me and then loving turn left. If there was oncoming he would've had to stop, I would have had to stop, I have no regrets.

Fermented Tinal fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Sep 25, 2017

Murphys Law
Nov 1, 2005

Fermented Tinal posted:

rear end in a top hat was gonna pass me and then loving turn left. If there was oncoming he would've had to stop, I would have had to stop, I have no regrets.

I've had this happen to me before. I'm in the right lane with nothing but empty lane behind me. The pick up behind me in the left lane passes me, squeezes between me and the car in front of me, then immediately slows down to make a right turn. Why?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Murphys Law posted:

I've had this happen to me before. I'm in the right lane with nothing but empty lane behind me. The pick up behind me in the left lane passes me, squeezes between me and the car in front of me, then immediately slows down to make a right turn. Why?

Got there before you man.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Murphys Law posted:

What is it with the people who travel for miles in the left lane at one speed who then accelerate the second they begin merging to the right and maintain the higher speed there?

They're stupid assholes

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
Had some old man make eye contact with me in his mirror as I was driving behind him in a parking lot. I guess he decided gently caress it and just pulled out even faster so he could get in front, only​ to get screamed at by the woman he almost ran over because he was fixated on me. He sat there for a minute blocking traffic to let me know he won, and then drive off. I hate old all drivers.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

iospace posted:

I'm the person who will sit in the right most lane doing exactly the speed limit with cruise control on on a multi-lane, controlled access road. If you get upset, and don't move to a wide open left lane to pass me, I don't know what to tell you other than you're a dipshit. My gas mileage is more important than you having to save all of five seconds in the long run. And yes, I will accelerate if I do have to move to the left lane to pass someone (and then move back over).

The worst thing is when two people both try to turn left in the same median cutout.

Yeah, this is the correct way to drive. I generally do the speed limit in the slow lane as well. My earlier gripe was moving over to overtake someone going under the speed limit, only to have them shoot up past me when the speed limit drops and I adjust my speed and they do not. Then I look like the slow rear end in a top hat in the fast lane, even though I maintained the exact same relationship to the speed limit.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

sleepy.eyes posted:

Had some old man make eye contact with me in his mirror as I was driving behind him in a parking lot. I guess he decided gently caress it and just pulled out even faster so he could get in front, only​ to get screamed at by the woman he almost ran over because he was fixated on me. He sat there for a minute blocking traffic to let me know he won, and then drive off. I hate old all drivers.

Reminds me of this old piece of poo poo driving an Audi I encountered a few weeks ago.

Basically I was in the leftmost lane, going about 85mph on a 65mph highway, just trying to keep up with traffic. The old guy was behind me and we were passing everyone for a good 5 minutes before there was a break in the lane to the right. For whatever reason he just had to pull out into the right lane and try to get in front of me (now going at least 25+ MPH over the speed limit). And what's weird is he wouldn't keep going past all of the cars in the left lane, he wanted to get in front of me specifically.

Then we turned off onto the same exit and he thought it was hilarious to pull up next to me and just wave. I have no idea what his problem was.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

PT6A posted:

Yeah, this is the correct way to drive. I generally do the speed limit in the slow lane as well. My earlier gripe was moving over to overtake someone going under the speed limit, only to have them shoot up past me when the speed limit drops and I adjust my speed and they do not. Then I look like the slow rear end in a top hat in the fast lane, even though I maintained the exact same relationship to the speed limit.

I cut most of my highway driving teeth in the middle of no-where, Wisconsin. Cops won't look at you funny unless you're going 10 over, but most people would just to 3-5 over, if that.

The major problem was tractors.

Also, dear idiots. Yes, I was using the left lane to pass. But I can't get out of the left lane if you try to pass on the right all the drat time.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

iospace posted:

Also, dear idiots. Yes, I was using the left lane to pass. But I can't get out of the left lane if you try to pass on the right all the drat time.
This is a disease everywhere.

The outside lane is not a fast lane. If someone's going slower ahead of you, but using it to overtake even slower traffic, tough loving poo poo.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Oh, and then one of them nearly rear-ended one of the other dudes who did that and I probably would have been collected in it.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
Today at lunch I parked my truck, like I normally do, perfectly straight between the 2 white lines of a parking spot.

The idiot in the Acura next to me rolls down his window to ask me "why you palk so close? you you no palk o'er dere?" Took me a minute to realize what the gently caress he was asking me... and why. He literally could not back out of this parking spot for no good reason other than he parked crooked as gently caress across 2 spots and couldn't figure out how to turn the wheel the other direction. So, he was going to hit my truck.
Then he starts ranting something about the parking lot not being full (there was one spot more than 4 rows away from the perfectly convenient spot I chose) and how "I don't need to park like DC" whatever the gently caress that means.

I just stayed in my truck yelling encouraging things right back at him. "You can do it! I believe in you! You've totally got this!" Completely expecting that I was going to have to exchange information with this guy, but nope... he made it. Managed to get out of his lovely parking job and get on with his day.
Until he backed into a cement light pole base, then ran over a curb trying to make a quick getaway. :sigh:

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
Last night, 10 PM, driving home. City recently (last few years) redid a freeway overpass to change it from a typical intersection to a diverging diamond, a fancy piece of poo poo where the opposing lanes actually cross over each other.

Normally it works fine, if people aren't morons. In this case, some dipshit decided to just ignore their red light and continue into the intersection ignoring me and my green light. Especially egregious because there was a car stopped in the second lane next to this clown.

Fine time for my goddamn dash cam to have died.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT
It rained today, which means Mother Nature is starting to weed out the idiots that can't drive and don't maintain their vehicles. Case in point, the RAV4 I saw on the way home that hit a fence because the idiot driver didn't look before trying to merge into the left lane, freaked out when they got honked at, jammed their brakes and overcorrected, hopping the curb and hitting the fence. Other driver and a couple other cars stopped, I kept going on my merry way. Can't wait until it gets cold and all the dumbasses who never change their tires go careening into the ditch...sucks to be them, but at least the road will have fewer morons for the rest of the people that can drive properly.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

InitialDave posted:

The outside lane is not a fast lane. If someone's going slower ahead of you, but using it to overtake even slower traffic, tough loving poo poo.

This is possibly the single lesson I would like to brand into the brain of everyone who gets a license. If the right lane is going 62, I'm probably passing them at 69, so you and your urgent need to go 72 can sit down and shut up until I have somewhere to merge over.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

Javid posted:

This is possibly the single lesson I would like to brand into the brain of everyone who gets a license. If the right lane is going 62, I'm probably passing them at 69, so you and your urgent need to go 72 can sit down and shut up until I have somewhere to merge over.

I know what you're getting at and do the same, but when you're the person behind it always feels like that driver is going "Hmm.... no.... no I don't think there's enough room here to move back over and... well you know what I could move over but I surely wouldn't want to get caught behind that person ahead. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm"

What sucks is when you're that guy, move over to be courteous, and the person who was "passing you" now creeps by half a mile an hour faster and gets you stuck behind a truck. Just pass me already!

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Javid posted:

The left lane is for passing, and if you're on a 2 lane road where the left lane is oncoming traffic then it's prudent to hammer down until the pass is over. . . I realize it doesn't work this way on a 4+ lane highway but when the right lane is going 68 and Grandma is creeping past at 68.5 in the left lane then people are going to rage out. The left lane is still a passing lane and people should like make an effort to complete their pass in less than 10 miles. But I'm pretty sure the law disagrees with my point of view on this, gotta fund Nowhere USA's anti terrorist swat team somehow.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Driving home tonight with absolutely no one behind me for miles. So naturally, the guy wanting to turn onto the road from a side street couldn't wait the few seconds for me to pass.

Or bother to quickly accelerate to the speed limit.

eriddy
Jan 21, 2005

sixty nine lmao
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/26/world/middleeast/saudi-arabia-women-drive.html

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

It's about loving time. I hope the accident rate doesn't jump too high due to roughly half the population getting their first license at a relative "same time" but women pick up on poo poo drat quick so it shouldn't be too bad.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

PCOS Bill posted:

It's about loving time. I hope the accident rate doesn't jump too high due to roughly half the population getting their first license at a relative "same time" but women pick up on poo poo drat quick so it shouldn't be too bad.

How the gently caress do you change a post so quickly from good to terrible and mysoginist so quickly?

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

How the gently caress do you change a post so quickly from good to terrible and mysoginist so quickly?

It's sort of his thing when he's trying to be subtle.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

How the gently caress is anything I said misogynist? Can you even read and comprehend sentences?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Assuming you're being genuine in wanting to know, saying things like "women pick things up drat quick," is patronizing and sexist, by making broad statements, positive or not, based on someone's gender.

This also leads to some other problematic inferences in your previous half of the statement, where it could be implied you believe women drivers might be bad at driving due to their gender, although I'm pretty sure you meant because they were new and that more drivers means more accidents? IDK. There were better ways to form that sentiment.

I don't buy that you're always making a troll post or that you meant to be offensive in this one, but yeah. Avoid painting in broad strokes.

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Sep 27, 2017

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Wasabi the J posted:

Assuming you're being genuine in wanting to know, saying things like "women pick things up drat quick," is patronizing and sexist, by making broad statements, positive or not, based on someone's gender.

This also leads to some other problematic inferences in your previous half of the statement, where it could be implied you believe women drivers might be bad at driving due to their gender, although I'm pretty sure you meant because they were new and that more drivers means more accidents? IDK. There were better ways to form that statement.

Break out the microscopes boys, we'll find something to be offended by somewhere!

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Oh ok I was worried I was falling for a PCOS Bill post and thought "maybe today I'll get to kick that football..."

Some content:

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Sep 27, 2017

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

No pics but yesterday there was a bro dozer sticking out into the parking lot aisle at school. I ended up parking betting it, then realized, ok, fine, your truck is legitimately too long for the spot.

Later when I got out it was replaced with a compact truck of the same make.

Well, that's my story

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

The correct decision upon realizing you're on the Gardiner is to get off the loving Gardiner ASAP before it collapses underneath you

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

iospace posted:

No pics but yesterday there was a bro dozer sticking out into the parking lot aisle at school. I ended up parking betting it, then realized, ok, fine, your truck is legitimately too long for the spot.

Later when I got out it was replaced with a compact truck of the same make.

Well, that's my story

The a garage I park in every time I go to Miami Beach has someone that works there and owns a similarly massive brodozer, the kind that juts several feet out of the space, and is legitimately just too big of a truck for Miami Beach. I bet it's pretty good in the floods there though…

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Wasabi the J posted:

Oh ok I was worried I was falling for a PCOS Bill post and thought "maybe today I'll get to kick that football..."

Some content:

Those vehicles are friends and want to cuddle. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
God I hate teenagers.

I'm going downhill on my street toward home, there's a car full of teenagers going uphill. We both reach an intersection at about the same time, she stops and puts her turn signal on just before entering it, I keep moving. As I'm about half way through she shrieks 'GOD YOU COULD HAVE WAAAAITED" and flips me off.

I wish I recognized her or her car, but I didn't. I love doing the "Friendly neighbor chat about your lovely kids" visit. Probably visiting someone up the hill from me.