Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

SamDabbers posted:

Isn't there a Windows 10: No Bullshit edition? Does the Enterprise SKU get all that crap installed too, or is that only LTSB?

Microsoft has really jumped the shark.

yes but for a variety of reasons we can't get it right now.

In 6 months to a year, sure, but unfortunately we need to do this now now now blah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Yes, 10 Enterprise gets all that crap installed.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

KoRMaK posted:

Bruh, notepad++ or sublime even if its nothing that needs compiled. Switch to twilight color scheme

At my company you have to install software from an approved list.

Notepad ++ is on there, but not sublime.

I'm trying to get us all set up in Git, so Code seemed like the right direction to go.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Thanks Ants posted:

.OST files are a local mailbox cache, not relating to archiving.

That I know. I guess another way to put it is, does msn.com email essentially use Exchange, and if so is online archiving also offered?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Thanks Ants posted:

I'm not ashamed to say that most of my job involves seeing problems and then figuring out what to type into Google to get onto the correct path to resolving it.
I tell people that I wasn't hired because I know how to fix things - I was hired because I understand problems and how to find solutions.

The Iron Rose posted:

Testing windows 10 for deployment in our enterprise environment, want to remove a bunch of the bloat that comes by default in Windows 10. Candy crush, minecraft, loving zune, et cetera.
Anyways, my question isn't really about the script. My question is - if you remove the built in apps from the .wim, if you create a new account (local/domain - not a mobile account), will all that bloatware install anyways?

I would assume not, but who the heck knows with Windows 10 and I only have one seed unit that I'd rather not flatten and reimage unless and until it becomes necessary.
Having recently done this - you are dealing with two kinds of bloatware in Windows 10.

There are ProvisionedPackages which is poo poo like Skype Preview and Get Office - those live in the Windows image and removing those will prevent them from appearing for new accounts.

There is also Start Menu Bloat - this is the really poo poo stuff like Minecraft and CandyCrush that installs on a per-user basis based on being pinned to the Start Menu. To prevent this stuff deploying for new accounts you have to alter the DefaultLayouts.xml in C:\Users\Default\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Shell. I'm still waiting for our designers to nail down what programs they want on there so in the meantime I just blank everything between the <StartLayoutCollection> tags - that forces it down to a default of just Edge, Setting and the Store.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Wilford Cutlery posted:

That I know. I guess another way to put it is, does msn.com email essentially use Exchange, and if so is online archiving also offered?

As far as I know it isn't. All the MS documentation I can find for Outlook's option to keep a selected subset of mail cached says it applies to Exchange / Office 365 only.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Update: not fired. Apparently I remind my manager of his son in law and he sees I have a lot of potential. If I haven't improved by next quarter I'm gone, but he'll be working with me on time management (my biggest problem area) on a weekly basis until then.

mewse
May 2, 2006

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Update: not fired. Apparently I remind my manager of his son in law and he sees I have a lot of potential. If I haven't improved by next quarter I'm gone, but he'll be working with me on time management (my biggest problem area) on a weekly basis until then.

I see it as pretty positive that your manager isn't bullshitting you and avoiding confrontation

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

My manager refuses to bullshit anybody as far as I can tell. It's refreshing.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Ghostlight posted:

I tell people that I wasn't hired because I know how to fix things - I was hired because I understand problems and how to find solutions.

Having recently done this - you are dealing with two kinds of bloatware in Windows 10.

There are ProvisionedPackages which is poo poo like Skype Preview and Get Office - those live in the Windows image and removing those will prevent them from appearing for new accounts.

There is also Start Menu Bloat - this is the really poo poo stuff like Minecraft and CandyCrush that installs on a per-user basis based on being pinned to the Start Menu. To prevent this stuff deploying for new accounts you have to alter the DefaultLayouts.xml in C:\Users\Default\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Shell. I'm still waiting for our designers to nail down what programs they want on there so in the meantime I just blank everything between the <StartLayoutCollection> tags - that forces it down to a default of just Edge, Setting and the Store.

bless your heart, thank you.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Honestly that sounds like a decent meeting, nearly everyone needs to work on time management, and if he can actually help you, all the better.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Ghostlight posted:

That's pretty awesome. Thanks.

Unrelated: Sonic got breached. 5 million cards compromised.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Please, tell us of your magical funtimes dealing with third party VSS providers, and the wonderful things they do juuuust differently enough to break poo poo.

gently caress third-party VSS writers, and gently caress third-party VSS providers with an especially spiky pineapple.

Every single one is bullshit. Assuming it doesn't just break native VSS stuff, it's inevitably going to fail in some oddball way.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Thanks Ants posted:

I was mildly encouraged when Microsoft went back from the ridiculous SKU count that was Vista, then I found out Windows 10 is going to have a Workstation edition and :suicide:

That's "Workstation" being used in the same sense that it used to be: a really powerful machine not in the same class as a desktop PC. This is Windows 10 for machines with a couple dozen cores and a terabyte of RAM. We do a lot of computational biology so these kinds of systems are surprisingly common on campus.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

anthonypants posted:

What.

If it's because the clock's off, you can boot into the BIOS and change the time, then boot into Windows.

I did that. Still no go, gives an error about the time not being synced to the DC. I boot back to the BIOS and the time is reset again.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

GreenNight posted:

I did that. Still no go, gives an error about the time not being synced to the DC. I boot back to the BIOS and the time is reset again.
Is it disconnected from the network?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

anthonypants posted:

Is it disconnected from the network?

Nope. I get an IP address from DHCP from both ethernet and wifi. I can login to Windows but the error appears whenever you click on a mapped drive.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

GreenNight posted:

Nope. I get an IP address from DHCP from both ethernet and wifi. I can login to Windows but the error appears whenever you click on a mapped drive.
Disconnect it from the network, then try to log in with an account that's logged on to that laptop before, so it uses the cached credentials instead of trying to talk to a domain.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

anthonypants posted:

Disconnect it from the network, then try to log in with an account that's logged on to that laptop before, so it uses the cached credentials instead of trying to talk to a domain.

Yes, we've been using an account with cached credentials. Hell I even removed it from the domain and readded it without issue.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

I have heard good things about VS Code and it does look pretty cool but it doesnt seem so great for PowerShell. Or rather, I haven't set it up right yet. I only occasionally write scripts and even when I do they aren't very long so maybe I'm not the target demo

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

myron cope posted:

I have heard good things about VS Code and it does look pretty cool but it doesnt seem so great for PowerShell. Or rather, I haven't set it up right yet. I only occasionally write scripts and even when I do they aren't very long so maybe I'm not the target demo

https://marketplace.visualstudio.com/items?itemName=ms-vscode.PowerShell

quote:

Features

Syntax highlighting
Code snippets
IntelliSense for cmdlets and more
Rule-based analysis provided by PowerShell Script Analyzer
Go to Definition of cmdlets and variables
Find References of cmdlets and variables
Document and workspace symbol discovery
Run selected selection of PowerShell code using F8
Launch online help for the symbol under the cursor using Ctrl+F1
Local script debugging and basic interactive console support!

Edit: https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/heyscriptingguy/2017/01/12/visual-studio-code-editing-features-for-powershell-development-part-2/

this link is better because it has cool gifs

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Straw poll, only comment if the answer is Agree or Strongly Agree:

I could perform my job without the assistance of search engines like Google and online resources like Stack Overflow/Serverfault

Technically yes, but only if I had a couple bookshelves worth of reference books. My memory isn't so hot to begin with, and having the internet has basically atrophied it to the point of being symlinks to a synapse that says "yeah that's possible, I can't be assed to remember how though"

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

ConfusedUs posted:

I could, but only because I wrote a significant portion of the top results for problems that I encounter in my field. You can't google for VSS problems without running across my work.

When I first read this post I thought you were referring to Visual Source Safe and I wanted to punch you through my phone.

But then I remembered that that program died a horrible death in the mid 00's.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

MF_James posted:

Honestly that sounds like a decent meeting, nearly everyone needs to work on time management, and if he can actually help you, all the better.

Yeah, I was scared shitless for a week or so but at this point I feel like all I have to do is learn to manage my time and keep cool under pressure and the only real damage done will be to my year end bonus.

Both my manager and the PM I work with are very paternal without being patronizing, if that makes sense. "Let me teach you what took me 30 years to learn on my own" type of thing.

My manager told me he'll let me know if he gets the feeling I've stopped caring, so I feel safe that I'll get a warning if things start getting really bad.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Agrikk posted:

When I first read this post I thought you were referring to Visual Source Safe and I wanted to punch you through my phone.

You'd think that. I know at least one company that was still using it as late as 2015.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Agrikk posted:

I guess I should qualify my acronyms.

VSS = Volume Snap Shot = the underlying tech that allows you to take backups of locked/in-use/open files in a Windows environment. It's been around since Server 2003 and actually worth a drat since Server 2008 and pretty loving solid in 2008R2 and up.

Third party VSS stuff, though, can die in a fire. Ain't no one capable of doing that right. Not Symantec, not Oracle, not anyone. I launch a campaign of "no, gently caress that" every time our own internal group says "we should just make our own thing."

Sure, there are a few limitations on what the built-in writers and providers can do. Especially on older versions of Windows.

But given the choice between solid performance and maintaining our own extension of the service to chase some bleeding-edge feature set, I'm going to argue for solid performance every time.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Not to be confused with SSV.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

ConfusedUs posted:

I guess I should qualify my acronyms.

VSS = Volume Snap Shot = the underlying tech that allows you to take backups of locked/in-use/open files in a Windows environment. It's been around since Server 2003 and actually worth a drat since Server 2008 and pretty loving solid in 2008R2 and up.

Third party VSS stuff, though, can die in a fire. Ain't no one capable of doing that right. Not Symantec, not Oracle, not anyone. I launch a campaign of "no, gently caress that" every time our own internal group says "we should just make our own thing."

Sure, there are a few limitations on what the built-in writers and providers can do. Especially on older versions of Windows.

But given the choice between solid performance and maintaining our own extension of the service to chase some bleeding-edge feature set, I'm going to argue for solid performance every time.

Behold! Look upon my BackupExec 3, ye mighty and despair!

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

You'd think that. I know at least one company that was still using it as late as 2015.

Microsoft ended support for it in 2005, but it certainly did not die. I worked for a company that used it for its software development (not a software business). One of the first things I did was propose to move to something relatively sane; the boss said VSS was perfectly adequate. After two incidents in the space of three months where it just lost 2 weeks' worth of code, he finally signed off on moving our code to TFS. This was in 2013.

My favorite part, other than the aggressive instability, was its concept of branching. Make a new branch off of main, make edits to that branch, and VSS helpfully updated main for you! How loving CONVENIENT. Maybe that was a configuration option and some idiot had at some point set it up that way, but I can't for the life of me figure out what the point of that was.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Git is insane but great. ever listen to a talk from torvald about it? It's alien tech lol

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

KoRMaK posted:

Git is insane but great. ever listen to a talk from torvald about it? It's alien tech lol

I honestly believe that when we make first contact the aliens will be jaw-droppingly shocked at some of the algorithms we've come up with. And maybe a couple of proofs in mathematics.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Yeah, I was scared shitless for a week or so but at this point I feel like all I have to do is learn to manage my time and keep cool under pressure and the only real damage done will be to my year end bonus.

Both my manager and the PM I work with are very paternal without being patronizing, if that makes sense. "Let me teach you what took me 30 years to learn on my own" type of thing.

My manager told me he'll let me know if he gets the feeling I've stopped caring, so I feel safe that I'll get a warning if things start getting really bad.

That's awesome, dude. My first and third supervisors in Geek Squad were like that, I would have followed them from store to store forever if I could have (and if it weren't retail). The first one helped me understand troubleshooting far beyond 'neighborhood kid that is good with computers', and the second taught me a good bit on the leadership/managerial side. If it weren't for them, I probably wouldn't have stayed in GS as long as I did, and I certainly wouldn't have been able to move up into real IT.

Treasure bosses like that. I got lucky to have two so early on, they're loving rare.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

GreenNight posted:

I couldn't do my job without all of you, confirmed.

Same

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

LethalGeek posted:

Holy poo poo, for real? I did enough programing in college but was way more in a hardware course. I can do all the things they mention there still off the top of my head. Ok I'd have to think about it cause it's been years but I feel I can answer all that.

I've written a few actual programs since college either for MMO poo poo or when I get a wild hair at work to fix some minor thing like hey lets find a way to extract from Outlook contacts & emails to import to Jabber since for some bizarre reason this doesn't exist. It even had buttons and options! I honestly figured I was scrub tier and really I am but I shouldn't be in the top whatever percentile according to that post.

I say that and then while telling my GF about this explained how recursion worked off the top of my head over a decade out of college. Even gave an example. There are people with actual comp sci degrees who can't do this I'm...holy poo poo.

Same GF who fell into being a computer janitor and when I mentioned F in hex she who hates math least understood F was the highest cause of messing with colors. People with masters can't answer that?

Having been on the hiring end, poo poo is depressing.

Che Delilas posted:

Microsoft ended support for it in 2005, but it certainly did not die. I worked for a company that used it for its software development (not a software business). One of the first things I did was propose to move to something relatively sane; the boss said VSS was perfectly adequate. After two incidents in the space of three months where it just lost 2 weeks' worth of code, he finally signed off on moving our code to TFS. This was in 2013.

My favorite part, other than the aggressive instability, was its concept of branching. Make a new branch off of main, make edits to that branch, and VSS helpfully updated main for you! How loving CONVENIENT. Maybe that was a configuration option and some idiot had at some point set it up that way, but I can't for the life of me figure out what the point of that was.

My first job out of college used VSS. Because the very concept of source control wasn't raised in that school (AND STILL ISN'T BEING!!!) I didn't understand how fundamentally awful the concept of "mandatory atomic locking for files" was.

At my next job, which used subversion, I asked how Armageddon doesn't happen if two people try to change the same thing since they can both work on the same file at once :ohdear:

I wish I could go back in time and prevent VSS from ever being made.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Behold! Look upon my BackupExec 3, ye mighty and despair!

My favorite thing about BackupExec is that it sets Shadowstorage space to "unbounded". This means every time there's a new snapshot, it will use up to 100% of the drive's space for that snapshot. It also means that Windows won't automatically clean up old snapshots. It keeps all of them forever.

Now, BE itself is supposed to clean up its own snapshots.

But what happens if you switch from BE to another program? Why, shadowstorage is still Unbounded!

So after running that new thing for a while, your drive is full, your backups may start to fail, and it's all that new program's fault, what a piece of poo poo, I'm going back to Backup Exec, why did I ever switch...

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Volmarias posted:

At my next job, which used subversion, I asked how Armageddon doesn't happen if two people try to change the same thing since they can both work on the same file at once :ohdear:

How does that work?

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

I just spent the last two days reading through this between working tickets and dealing with lovely office politics and god drat does it make me appreciate everything I have. Schadenfreude is a great coping mechanism.

On the upside, when you read this saga back to back instead of spaced out over the span of 4 years, it is a fantastic story. So many ups and downs. It would make a good book. Just needs a fantastic ending.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
Email came in, instructor was panicking because they sent emails from several different classrooms, and now that they're back in their office, the emails aren't in their sent folder in Outlook.

Now, I know by default sent items aren't going to sync between computers, but is that a feature that can be enabled? I've told them to just look in OWA for the sent items as they'll be there.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

larchesdanrew posted:

completely unfixable layer 8 issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

You fix a Layer 8 issue the same way you fix a printer; Put down a tarp, smash the head with a hammer, and bundle it all up for dumping in a landfill.

• Locked thread