Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Rubiks Pubes posted:

I was wondering if anyone here could recommend a small power strip with 2-3 US power plugs and at least 1 USB port, that would be suitable for use in the toolbox?

Look for a "travel" power strip, they usually have 2-3 outlets and a USB charging port(s).

As long as you're just running a battery charger on it the load should be fine but I'd be wary running power tools on a strip intended for small/home office use.

Geoj fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Sep 25, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
Can anyone recommend proper sealant to use when drilling through a car roof? Planning on installing a radio antenna and maybe some other auxiliary equipment, and since my new car will probably be new, I don't wanna take any chances. Last time I used some good quality silicone, but I read several places that even the car stuff isn't really that great for the job.
Also, any recommendations for feeding cables through the car body? I feel like a rubber grommet isn't ideal and it should be sealed as well.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
I'm by no means an expert, but at my old work, we perforated a Mazda 3 to use as an antenna test platform. It seemed to be done with these grommets/plastik thingies that allowed for cable passthrough. Looked fairly skookum. But of course, this use case saw the antennas etc. being removed and remounted more often than you'll probably do.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
What kind of radio aerial do you need to add to a new car?

If it's for a CB or similar, might a clamp or bolt on mount be better than drilling?

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

InitialDave posted:

What kind of radio aerial do you need to add to a new car?

If it's for a CB or similar, might a clamp or bolt on mount be better than drilling?

2m, I am going for a clean install rather than some alternative mounting solution, it generally gives better performance and is less horrible to look at.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

SEKCobra posted:

2m, I am going for a clean install rather than some alternative mounting solution, it generally gives better performance and is less horrible to look at.

What about RTV sealant?

ThinkFear
Sep 15, 2007

SEKCobra posted:

Use a nmo mount, the included gasket will seal the hole.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

ThinkFear posted:

Use a nmo mount, the included gasket will seal the hole.

Doesn't seem like that's available here.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Seminal Flu posted:

Good chart:

FWIW, Snap-On owns Bahco as well.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

And also Williams and CDI

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Stanley owns Proto/Blackhawk now too. Good torque wrenches.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

SEKCobra posted:

I don't know that this solves the problem, but sometimes a source/part number helps, so:

Here is the one I used. Works well, I think we still put RTV around it.

And you're exactly right - mounting the antenna permanently / through the roof gives me wayyyyyyyy better performance than everyone else I see at the races with stick on/fender mounts.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Krakkles posted:

I don't know that this solves the problem, but sometimes a source/part number helps, so:

Here is the one I used. Works well, I think we still put RTV around it.

And you're exactly right - mounting the antenna permanently / through the roof gives me wayyyyyyyy better performance than everyone else I see at the races with stick on/fender mounts.

It's rather unfortunate as it seems like a nice system, but without easy availability for good antennas based on the system I can't really adopt it :/

lwoodio
Apr 4, 2008

SEKCobra posted:

It's rather unfortunate as it seems like a nice system, but without easy availability for good antennas based on the system I can't really adopt it :/

Would a waterproof strain relief work?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01GJ03AUQ/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1506365162&sr=8-3&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

I was considering it, but I'm worried that the damaged paint will lead to rust forming around the drillpoint without some form of "larger" seal.

Unsane
Jul 16, 2003

thus is the coolest thing ever. I kinda want to buy one, just because: https://www.kctoolco.com/wera-advent-calendar-2017/

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

SEKCobra posted:

I was considering it, but I'm worried that the damaged paint will lead to rust forming around the drillpoint without some form of "larger" seal.

The solution to that isn't (only) a seal, it's covering any newly created bare metal with paint.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

SEKCobra posted:

Where is "here" that you can't pick up NMO stuff at any ham radio store or website?

I put an NMO 2m on my car by popping out the rear courtesy light, drilling up with a stepped bit, and slathering the exposed edge with dielectric grease. When I sold the car years later, I just unscrewed the antenna and capped the connector. Never saw any rust.

(There's a ham radio thread in DIY. Come on over)

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

IOwnCalculus posted:

The solution to that isn't (only) a seal, it's covering any newly created bare metal with paint.

I am not a painter and I don't want to spray the interior of my car through a hole. Also paint matching and all that poo poo. Seems to me a sealant makes way more sense.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

SEKCobra posted:

I am not a painter and I don't want to spray the interior of my car through a hole. Also paint matching and all that poo poo. Seems to me a sealant makes way more sense.

You only need to paint the edge of the hole that you have drilled.

It's 1mm wider than the hole itself and you can cover it with touch-up paint with a little brush.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Even a little touch-up paint pen set will be fine, drill the hole through tape, paint the exposed edges, let it did, add a grommet or sealant afterwards.

E: exactly that ^

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Think of the paint as a colorful sealant you're using between the air and your sheetmetal.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
My experience with paint has always been very poor because of all the surface prep and priming. I suppose a paint pen might be simple enough, although those seem pretty expensive for what they are.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

SEKCobra posted:

My experience with paint has always been very poor because of all the surface prep and priming. I suppose a paint pen might be simple enough, although those seem pretty expensive for what they are.

It's literally easier than as applying nail varnish.

If you've ever painted your nails* and managed not to get it all over your skin or your trousers, then you can manage this job.

(*be honest, you have, haven't you)

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy

spog posted:

It's literally easier than as applying nail varnish.

If you've ever painted your nails* and managed not to get it all over your skin or your trousers, then you can manage this job.

(*be honest, you have, haven't you)

I blew my wife's mind one time by painting her nails and doing a really good job. Turns out I didn't spend all that time huffing MEK building scale models in Jr High for nothing.

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001
I have a BE pressure washer (BE317RA) and it has a plastic oil sight glass.
I was trying to be a good owner and change the pump oil, and I inadvertently overtightened the glass after draining the oil.
The threads snapped off the screw, and all the oil leaked out.

I bought these https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00G9CSJ1A/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
and they fit, and worked for about an hour until they snapped off again.

This parts page doesn't show the glass (its on the other side)
http://www.ppe-pressure-washer-parts.com/ar-rmv-pressure-washer-pump-parts

What do I buy so I don't get a plastic piece of crap again? I want one of the brass ones with a real glass, but don't know what actual size/pitch is for the hole.
The amazon ones screwed in, so its probably close. I am not sure if the plastic was just really bad and made it crack this time.

All the mcmaster-carr ones are standard thread/npt of some flavour.
Any ideas?

The canadian listing for those things says they are 3/8 pt. Which makes sense I guess. Im going to order some from mcmaster I guess.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

blindjoe fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Sep 27, 2017

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Unsane posted:

thus is the coolest thing ever. I kinda want to buy one, just because: https://www.kctoolco.com/wera-advent-calendar-2017/
It's the biggest missed opportunity ever that you don't need to use yesterday's bit to open today's little door.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
http://toolguyd.com/zoro-25-flash-sale-on-tools-machining-092717/

25% OFF at zoro on hand tools, no minimum

includes knipex :grin:

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001

BraveUlysses posted:

http://toolguyd.com/zoro-25-flash-sale-on-tools-machining-092717/

25% OFF at zoro on hand tools, no minimum

includes knipex :grin:

Just bought the 3 set.
https://www.zoro.com/knipex-plier-wrench-set-ergonomic-3-pcs-9k-00-80-45-us/i/G4784726/
Out of stock but good deal for $122

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

I’m considering the Dewalt XR 1/2” impact and found two versions, a 4.0 and a 5.0Ah, $300 or $350 with a charger. Any reason to choose one over the other? I’d say it will get used but not all the time, mostly for my family’s cars and odd jobs around the house.

Likewise, any other recommendations? The power/price of the Dewalt is pretty appealing, but if I could save a bit I wouldn’t mind.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
I have this one, it has snapped a subframe bolt because I was stupid.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00WTQW7JA/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

nitsuga posted:

I’m considering the Dewalt XR 1/2” impact and found two versions, a 4.0 and a 5.0Ah, $300 or $350 with a charger. Any reason to choose one over the other? I’d say it will get used but not all the time, mostly for my family’s cars and odd jobs around the house.

Likewise, any other recommendations? The power/price of the Dewalt is pretty appealing, but if I could save a bit I wouldn’t mind.

I have a DCF899 with a 4.0 AH battery, honestly unless you're a full time mechanic the 4.0 battery will last forever between charges.

I've been nothing but happy with mine in about 7 months of owning it.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Confirmed. The 899 is a total beast and conquered everything I've thrown at it.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp

nitsuga posted:

What do plan on using it for? I made a post about Milwaukees offerings, I'd just get their mid torque if I was doing it all over again. The DCF899 and 2763 are comparable and I find mine to be too cumbersome to use unless I really, really need to break something.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Bulk Vanderhuge posted:

What do plan on using it for? I made a post about Milwaukees offerings, I'd just get their mid torque if I was doing it all over again. The DCF899 and 2763 are comparable and I find mine to be too cumbersome to use unless I really, really need to break something.

Right, unless you're routinely working on heavy industrial machinery, get a smaller more maneuverable impact, it'll be far more useful in far more places, with enough oomph to break most bolts.

I've got the Makita XWT11Z three speed impact wrench with the 3 amp hour battery, which lasts all day and is super useful because it essentially has adjustable torque with the speed settings and can fit in a bunch of places where it's incredibly handy.

The rare occasion where you might actually need more torque is most likely going to be an easy to access bolt that you can throw a breaker bar and pipe on for more leverage.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

nitsuga posted:

Tool and usage dependent of course, but I've found that anything above 3Ah-ish is more than fine for the home gamer. I built an entire custom bed based on a sheet of plywood and three sections of ikea drawers on not even half a 5Ah charge (on a normal drill/screwdriver), and I've never used more than one bar on the 5Ah battery when using my impact working on cars, including a complete front axle brake job.

$50 is not worth it for the extra amp-hour. Spend the money on impact sockets/bits instead.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
The DeWalt is also adjustable. I'm just an idiot sometimes.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
Might as well post in here.

I'm doing increasingly more serious work in my barn instead of my dad's barn so occasionally running into a tool I'm lacking that he has, but that really I should get my own copy of.

So that said, what's a good bang/buck corded sawzall? I don't need anything fancy, I just need to hack up a bunch of unibody sheetmetal, and my cordless one dies pretty quick doing that.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
I have a Hazard Fraught (Harbor Freight) saw and it works fine as long as you use some non-crap blades. If you see yourself using it often you might consider something else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Sawzall isn't much of a precision tool, so harbor freight stuff should be fine. Besides my cordless Makita, I've got an ancient Sears one from my dad, and it works great, though it's a bit heavy.