Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/SportsCenter/status/913046846867636230

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrankeeFrankFrank
Apr 21, 2005

Say word son.

Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

General Dog posted:

Bush got something though, it's not clear the players these assistants were delivering were getting anything. Again, this is apparently a totally separate case from the Addidas money funneling.

This may be true for other schools, but the FBI has an Auburn player on audio and video recording receiving money from a financial adviser with Chuck Person in the room. This all happened in a hotel room in Manhattan when Auburn played BC in Madison Square Garden last year.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Duckaerobics posted:

This may be true for other schools, but the FBI has an Auburn player on audio and video recording receiving money from a financial adviser with Chuck Person in the room. This all happened in a hotel room in Manhattan when Auburn played BC in Madison Square Garden last year.

Oh okay, they're hosed then.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

I'm a little concerned about Lamont Evans' involvement because he was an assistant at South Carolina before leaving for Oklahoma State. Judging by the timeline (and our general lack of NBA talent), he didn't really get going with all this until after he left, but it does appear he tried bribing one of our players on his way out the door (likely PJ Dozier). There's no evidence that it worked, as far I've seen, but guess we'll just have to wait for more information to come out. I'm not super worried, but I'm also not happy we're gonna have to deal with this on some level.

Anyway, it's pretty wild that Pitino will get shitcanned for compensating players financially and not hiring sex workers for recruits to play with.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Louisville's president just fired Jurich, supposedly Pitino will be in short order.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Chief McHeath posted:

Louisville's president just fired Jurich, supposedly Pitino will be in short order.

Good, literally any other course of action would be incredibly damning considering what's gone on.

e:
https://www.cardchronicle.com/2017/9/27/16373712/tom-jurich-fired-louisville-athletics-greg-postel

quote:

Jurich met with U of L interim president Greg Postel Wednesday morning and was asked to resign. When he refused, Jurich was told that he was being relieved of his duties.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Hopefully this hole operation is an effort to take down Papa John.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

KSR is reporting that Jurich was told to fire Pitino.

He said no.

He got fired.

LMAO what a mountain to die on "No I won't fire the coach who hired prostitutes for and gave cash to players."

FrankeeFrankFrank
Apr 21, 2005

Say word son.
Is there any human being on Earth that isn't a total scumbag?

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak
Comedy option, not that it's not all comedy, but it comes out that Pitino is playing the long con, that he's still loyal to UK and has been working to take down Louisville all along.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Chief McHeath posted:

KSR is reporting that Jurich was told to fire Pitino.

He said no.

He got fired.

LMAO what a mountain to die on "No I won't fire the coach who hired prostitutes for and gave cash to players."

It's not like Jurich was going to get to stay if he fired Pitino, might as well tell 'em to go gently caress themselves.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

FrankeeFrankFrank posted:

If I can't believe in the integrity of college basketball coaches, what can I believe in?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Tom Crean

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak
Pitino out

FrankeeFrankFrank
Apr 21, 2005

Say word son.
http://www.universitysix.com/

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
ahahaha
https://twitter.com/PFTCommenter/status/913064749910413312

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

A good place to look is people who arent making piles of money from unpaid student athletes

FrankeeFrankFrank
Apr 21, 2005

Say word son.

I'm listening to a pro-Kentucky Wildcat radio station and they just predicted Pitino would end up at Tennessee.

They were joking... I think.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
God drat, I thought that vampire warlock motherfucker would never go away.

Today is a good day.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Benne posted:

Today is a good day.

Yeah after he got a pass for hiring prostitutes for HS kids I assumed he was safe for as long as he wanted to coach. I guess the FBI getting involved is a bit more serious.

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

General Dog posted:

Hopefully this hole operation is an effort to take down Papa John.

The investigation looks like it has girth.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
I don't know how NCAA penalities entirely work. Would Petino get a "show cause" penalty thing?

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Your Taint posted:

I don't know how NCAA penalities entirely work. Would Petino get a "show cause" penalty thing?

Potentially. Everything's up in the air right now. Everyone's scrambling, schools and the NCAA, especially the latter.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Your Taint posted:

They're literally going to have him killed

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

General Dog posted:

They're literally going to have him killed

Would it be televised?

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
At least they weren't covering up child rape for decades.

FrankeeFrankFrank
Apr 21, 2005

Say word son.

Your Taint posted:

At least they weren't covering up child rape for decades.

The investigation is still on going.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Auburn decided this morning to offer full refunds for basketball season tickets, they're expecting the worst.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)
A Bruce Pearl-coached team cheating? Now I've heard everything.

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

Benne posted:

Today is a good day.

lmao

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Auburn decided this morning to offer full refunds for basketball season tickets, they're expecting the worst.

:stare: yeah that's not a good sign.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

:stonk:

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Louisville presser expected to announce contract extensions for Petino/Jurich

not really but would it surprise you

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/dprk_news/status/913079466322210816

Huge if true

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/MWhicker03LANG/status/913081384238931969

Nepotism owns

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Quote/edit

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Where's this press conference gonna be streamed?

e: http://heavy.com/sports/2017/09/louisville-pitino-press-conference-live-stream-rick-fired-tom-jurich-watch-online-videos/

e2: a big ol' nothingburger, as expected.

GobiasIndustries fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Sep 27, 2017

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

630 WLAP on iHeart is the local UK homer station, 840 WHAS is in Louisville.

C. Everett Koop posted:

Louisville presser expected to announce contract extensions for Petino/Jurich

not really but would it surprise you

LMAO Pitino is going on unpaid Leave and Jurich is being put on paid leave while "a student athlete" is having his activities "suspended indefinitely."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Apparently the placement on leave is because the athletics association has to vote on it. I guess there just wasn't enough time between yesterday and this morning to hold a conference call or something!

• Locked thread