Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
peanut
Sep 9, 2007

The TCM pill for an upset stomach is 5-6 little brown herb spheres that smell like rotten bbq sauce. They didn't make me less nauseous (;゜∀゜)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Except those brown spheres actually worked significantly better than pepto bismol or anything else over the counter in the US. 2 of them were enough to get rid of any major upset stomach.

The only problem was that some Japanese researcher ended up finding that they had the possibility of increasing the risk of certain cancers/heart issues so people stopped using them...

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Bajaj posted:

Ayurveda stuff
Jeez that was one hell of a thorough answer, thanks man! I had a vague awareness of homeopathy being a big deal in India but I didn't realise it was like literally-you're-allowed-to-call-yourself-a-doctor-and-most-people-won't-know-any-better level. I'm not sure what the deal with quack stuff is here in Malaysia, I know that the health ministry has a traditional/complementary medicine division tasked with protecting people from fraud but who the hell knows what good it actually does. Whatever the case it's still waaay less visible here than it was when I was living in the UK.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

MetaJew posted:

My GF, who came to the US from Beijing when she was a child, has had some acne flair up after the pharmacy+health insurance changed the generic BC she was getting.

This has resulted in her mother insisting she see a local TCM doctor. She refused, but eventually her mother called the "doctor", made some appointment, and then said she would pay for it. So, to prevent an argument she goes along with it.

Cut to the consultation, the TCM doc "measures her pulse" and tells her that "she has a lot of heat" in her abdomen that needs to be "cooled down". He then prescribes her a poo poo ton of herbal supplements to take, at an outrageous volume. Two bottles she's supposed to take 10 pills each, after each meal, and another bottle of pills which he says he makes himself, she was supposed to take 5-10 after each meal. I think she was told, ultimately to take something like 40-50 of these pills a day.

After looking at the bottles, and talking to her mom, we find that they are all laxatives of some form or another.

Honestly I was more worried that he was going to somehow give her antibiotics and muscle relaxers, based on what I've read in this thread.

the crazy thing here is that in the traditional interpretation of TCM biological heat, that's a correct diagnosis, and the course of action i've seen prescribed for that most often (temporary change of diet away from 'heat-inducing' foods - in "lives on this planet" terms, dairy and oils) is in fact what many dermatologists will tell you to do while your body adjusts to the new inputs. this will generally calm down your body's tendency to produce oils and make it easier to keep pores unclogged and clean. this sort of lifestyle tweak is exactly what traditional medicines are good at because that's the only loving thing they've ever had visibility to fix in 4950 of the 5000 years of history.

but naturally since traditional medicine is much less formal than allopathic medicine, isn't really subject to oversight after the practitioner graduates, and each practitioner knows they're largely above criticism, at least half of the practitioners i've ever met just do this poo poo and happily load up starry-eyed rubes with dozens upon dozens of supplements connected by some thin line of logic pioneered by a dude in a bird's mask back before anyone knew what soap was.

it's one of the things that makes me most mad about TCM practitioners. some of these teachings, if scrutinized under the scientific method, could easily be incorporated into standard primary care and bring some great techniques to practices that your stereotypical MD doesn't have on their radar at all. but the field is so dominated by bloated hucksters with a narcissist complex that any attempts like that are just going to get the party line of "white man cannot understand"

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

That said you still see combination TCM herbs/imported spirits shops in big shopping malls here. Hennessy and rhino dick good for healthy

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

Bajaj posted:

Chinese men hate her legs and she feels like a freak. She had thighs and a good butt, but those two things don't really exist in southern China. Even the women scoff at photos of the effects of squats on the legs and butt, and call it all "fat." A girl can go to a gym for years, but the last thing she'll do is pick up anything with weight.

I think I mentioned it in the thread before, but the ideal female in china has a body like ginger root (and a face like grey alien)

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

HAT FETISH posted:

That said you still see combination TCM herbs/imported spirits shops in big shopping malls here. Hennessy and rhino dick good for healthy

After all, if you use enough of one, you'll need the other.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

LentThem posted:

I think I mentioned it in the thread before, but the ideal female in china has a body like ginger root (and a face like grey alien)

That's ginseng, not ginger.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

peanut posted:

The TCM pill for an upset stomach is 5-6 little brown herb spheres that smell like rotten bbq sauce. They didn't make me less nauseous (;゜∀゜)

ntan1 posted:

Except those brown spheres actually worked significantly better than pepto bismol or anything else over the counter in the US. 2 of them were enough to get rid of any major upset stomach.

The only problem was that some Japanese researcher ended up finding that they had the possibility of increasing the risk of certain cancers/heart issues so people stopped using them...

afaik they just found carcinogenic medicinal stuff in them when they got tested somewhere. Those type of stomachache remedies work in a brutish way where it's meant to physically gunk up your gut walls and keep it apart from irritants, pepto bismol is a weird metal salt that will leave a shiny solid behind if you blow torch it for example.

Bajaj
Sep 13, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Darkest Auer posted:

Indian TCM sounds exactly as bad as Chinese TCM
It really calls for a more balanced diet based on the birth type you fall into. Rather than the focus on "hot body, now you have herpes" like TCM, it is more subtle. Like I said, unlike China, nobody will pressure you or care at all if you utterly reject it. You can completely say "I don't care, I don't believe in it" and you won't get called ignorant or that you don't understand. In China to reject TCM is an up-ladder battle, and TCM constitutes the closest thing Mainlanders have to a functioning system of logic in daily actions. Ayurved has no true reach into average daily life or social behavior, and most people shun it completely. If they can afford to go to a modern hospital or the cheap price of allopathic medicine (a week's supply of most allopathic pills here are about 100 or 200 rupees), they an afford to utterly ignore ayurveda except for being delighted that their shampoo has neem in it. Yoga is a health fad here just as much as it is in the West. A lot of that traditional stuff got erased in a sense. Even the Christian British succeeded in ways forcing them to call their gods "idols" and their religious books "mythology" over more respectable terms (LOL at colonists being respectful).

Bajaj fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Sep 27, 2017

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

afaik they just found carcinogenic medicinal stuff in them when they got tested somewhere. Those type of stomachache remedies work in a brutish way where it's meant to physically gunk up your gut walls and keep it apart from irritants, pepto bismol is a weird metal salt that will leave a shiny solid behind if you blow torch it for example.

Pepto-Bismol uses a small organic molecule, most of which burns under the torch leaving behind metallic Bismuth. Dunno if the bismuth is a critical component in the non-diarrhea formula.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem

Coolguye posted:

the crazy thing here is that in the traditional interpretation of TCM biological heat, that's a correct diagnosis, and the course of action i've seen prescribed for that most often (temporary change of diet away from 'heat-inducing' foods - in "lives on this planet" terms, dairy and oils) is in fact what many dermatologists will tell you to do while your body adjusts to the new inputs. this will generally calm down your body's tendency to produce oils and make it easier to keep pores unclogged and clean.

Lol this isn’t true.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Maybe everything... is bad?!?.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
I mean, all medicine is inherently bad. That's why I just envision a healing ball of white light and project all my discomfort into it, where it is absorbed and returned to the earth~~~~~

HerStuddMuffin
Aug 10, 2014

YOSPOS
Bajaj, I don't mean to pry (bullshit, I totally do), but are you working in India? Are you just living on your savings from China and enjoying life for however long they last?

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

McGavin posted:

That's ginseng, not ginger.

god damnit I meant to say ginseng thats how i sourced that image in the first place

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

Bajaj posted:

It really calls for a more balanced diet based on the birth type you fall into.

What does that even mean? I'm afraid India has utterly broken your mind, especially since apparently you voluntarily live in a prohibition state(?).

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Haier does not drink.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Bajaj posted:

Gyms are a dime-a-dozen as the middle-class shifts from obese to less-obese. Gyms are of all varieties, from hole-in-the-wall free-weight gyms (one I went to look at was 500 rupees, or $8 USD per year), to super fancy ones with all-imported stuff and all sorts of fitness classes. Women are very under-represented in the gyms though, and that's probably due to feeling too weird being surrounded by a ton of young guys. The gyms I've been to have very strict policies about NO PHONE, probably because of guys taking photos. The guys all arm exercises. Many Indian men have those itty-bitty genetically scrawny calves that are the size of most people's wrists, and tend to skip leg day always. One guy in my gym is only biceps and nothing else. He just pumps his 'ceps and leaves, and it's the only part of him that isn't scrawny.
Still, I see arms here or guys with muscles every single day, and in ways that I only saw once or twice in my entire year in China. It might be the whole "beans and milk products" at every meal thing, but without following all that strict TCM garbage and Chinese diet or the gorging on meat, Indians put on muscle way better than Chinese. The owner of my gym is pure veg, like many of his clients, and just eats tons of milk and beans. The dude is huge without being fat, and his arms are as big as my head.

Oddly enough, the habits of gym-going Indians fascinates me. Ever since you pointed out one specific exercise, I can't not notice it whenever this one Indian guy does it at my gym. I've only ever seen him do that thing where you swing dumbbells in front of you, and never any other free-weight exercise (though that could be confirmation bias on my part).

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Haha how did this get here.

nomad2020 fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Sep 27, 2017

big time bisexual
Oct 16, 2002

Cool Party
:barf:

quote:

I moved to China a few weeks ago and this happened last week.

I was out and about with another international teacher I met a few days earlier. As we were walking towards the bar we bar we had planned on visiting, I had an emergency. I had to take a poo poo. Desperately. I calmly suggested to her that we find a bathroom soon while I on the inside was squirming in pain knowing this diarrhea that was about to happen wasn’t going to be any fun.

We eventually find a restroom and I am relieved to finally take this glorious poo poo. I am hoping there will be one western style toilet, but there are only squatty pottys. I bust the door open to one of them and realize that there is no toilet paper in the stall. I search frantically, but find none. I take a few deep breaths and tell myself: “you got this. Just hold it.” I walk back out and about 10 steps out I rush back as I’m literally about to poo poo myself. At this point I can think of two options:

1. poo poo myself.

2. Take a dump in the squatty potty and use the toilet paper in the trash can (since you’re not supposed to flush down toilet paper) which other dudes have used God knows how many minutes before my arrival.

I settled for option 2. In addition, there was no soap to wash my hands with afterwards. It was hard trying not to gag for the remainder of the evening.

TL;DR Re-used used toilet paper and now always bring tp with me

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
That was an urban legend in Korea. "The teacher that reused the toilet paper".

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

I've wiped my rear end with actual bills more than once in China. Always forget the tissues.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Re: TCM Visit in the US

He told her to cut out something like dairy, beans, avocados, and oily foods from her diet but she really doesn't eat much of any of that anyway. So lol.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

I have personally wiped my rear end with a sock after an emergency dumping in Korea

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
My first bathroom experience in china was a real shocker. My wife (gf at the time) and I landed in Beijing, then we took a bus from Beijing to her hometown. It was a six-hour bus ride, and they stopped halfway at a restaurant that was godawful and clearly paid the busses to go there. There was a giant pile of loving garbage right in front of the door, over six feet high of just loving garbage.

Anyway, I had to piss and followed the Chinese guys toward the bathroom. I get into the bathroom and it was the worst smell I'd ever experienced in my life thus far. I look over and I see that it's the squat toilets (which I'd expected and was prepared for) but I wasn't prepared for the squat toilets having no dividers of any kind. Just holes all over the place in what felt more like a shed than a building, and I see like 9 Chinese guys just dropping their pants, squatting, and making GBS threads within a few seconds of going down. I hear all these gross making GBS threads sounds and guys moaning as they poo poo. Some start lighting up cigarettes as they poo poo. It just blew me away how loving godawful it smelled and how inhuman it felt. There's something about making GBS threads privately or having some semblance of humility that elevates humans beyond animals, and the way these dudes were just like letting it rip into holes in the ground was totally inhuman.

Luckily I just had to piss, so I did it while avoiding breathing or inhaling, and I got out as soon as possible.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
Has anyone been peaked at taking a piss at the urinal?

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

ladron posted:

I have personally wiped my rear end with a sock after an emergency dumping in Korea

I used a receipt once.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

nickmeister posted:

Has anyone been peaked at taking a piss at the urinal?

I tried that once in college when I was drunk. Fell over trying to get the right angle.

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

angel opportunity posted:

My first bathroom experience in china was a real shocker. My wife (gf at the time) and I landed in Beijing, then we took a bus from Beijing to her hometown. It was a six-hour bus ride, and they stopped halfway at a restaurant that was godawful and clearly paid the busses to go there. There was a giant pile of loving garbage right in front of the door, over six feet high of just loving garbage.

Anyway, I had to piss and followed the Chinese guys toward the bathroom. I get into the bathroom and it was the worst smell I'd ever experienced in my life thus far. I look over and I see that it's the squat toilets (which I'd expected and was prepared for) but I wasn't prepared for the squat toilets having no dividers of any kind. Just holes all over the place in what felt more like a shed than a building, and I see like 9 Chinese guys just dropping their pants, squatting, and making GBS threads within a few seconds of going down. I hear all these gross making GBS threads sounds and guys moaning as they poo poo. Some start lighting up cigarettes as they poo poo. It just blew me away how loving godawful it smelled and how inhuman it felt. There's something about making GBS threads privately or having some semblance of humility that elevates humans beyond animals, and the way these dudes were just like letting it rip into holes in the ground was totally inhuman.

Luckily I just had to piss, so I did it while avoiding breathing or inhaling, and I got out as soon as possible.

Collective making GBS threads sheds sound like 100% authentic relics from the Cultural Revolution era.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

I used a receipt once.

was it for socks?

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart

Darkest Auer posted:

Collective making GBS threads sheds sound like 100% authentic relics from the Cultural Revolution era.

Cheng Guang knew he had to poo poo, but it wasn't time yet. He clenched his cheeks as he shouted down the mineshaft in completely unintelligible garbles of redneck dialect. He even managed to get an "er hua" onto several non-vowels, which should have been impossible.

He wandered down the mineshaft with his hands clasped behind his back. As the boss of the mineshaft, it was his duty to inspect the work unit personally.

He passed by a group of miners squatting down in a pile of garbage, their picks piled on the ground and covered in a layer of coal. They smoked cigarettes and grunted at each other. Cheng Guang grunted at them as he passed by.

His stomach rumbled, and a stream of liquid poo poo escaped into his sole pair of soiled underwear which he hadn't hand-washed in two or three days. He clenched his cheeks harder to stem the flow. The liquid poo poo was hot and warmed him as he walked further down the cold shaft.

He passed a half-dozen more miners all sleeping in a minecart. Their legs were hanging out of the cart as they snored loudly. One miner was managing to smoke a cigarette even as he snored and drooled.

Cheng Guang nodded at him and gave a hearty grunt, praising his ingenuity.

At this rate, Cheng Guang's work unit would definitely not meet the party's quota, which was fine, because the quota didn't need to be filled for two more weeks, and was thus not an immediate problem. Probably in two weeks, on the day of the quota and the day the party's inspectors would arrive, Cheng Guang and his work unit would frantically and ineptly start swinging their pickaxes as they realized the problem, but right now, everything was great.

Except for his need to poo poo.

It wasn't time yet.

Everything in this new country had a time. On September 22nd, the first day of Fall, it was time to put on your thick clothes. The bitter cold hit Xinjiang in early September this year, but only on September 22nd was it time to put on the coats.

7:00AM was the time for breakfast. Cheng Guang's new country only had one timezone, which made a lot of sense for a country more than 6,000 kilometers across. Cheng Guang's village was so far West, that the sun had barely set at 7:00 AM. Still, because 7:00 AM is the time that you eat your breakfast, so Cheng Guang and his family slurped their breakfast in the pitch darkness of 7:00AM.

Around Noon, which was the good time for lunch, the sun finally began to rise, and Cheng Guang and his comrades slurped their lunch and gnawed on their lunch bones while enjoying the Noon sunrise.

10:00pm was the time you go to sleep. The sun wouldn't set for several more hours, but everyone knew you should sleep at 10:00pm if you wanted to be able to wake up in total darkness to slurp your breakfast at 7:00AM.

All of those other times were irrelevant to Cheng Guang in this moment, however, as he waited with tight asscheeks for the time he most craved: communal toilet time.

"Coal Mine Boss Li," the voice near him grunted.

"En?" Cheng Guang grunted back.

"Didn't you hear me?" The voice was Little Foreigner. That's what they called their comrade who had the weird white skin and blue eyes.

"I didn't understand your language," Cheng Guang lied to save face. He hadn't heard him because he was focusing so hard in holding his poo poo in.

"I speak Mandarin," Little Foreigner said. "Your parents brutally colonized my country and forced this language onto me, I've spoken it since birth. I'm not even allowed to learn my parents' langauge."

"Ah," Cheng Guang grunted, retroflexing the poo poo out of the sound, "Yes, you've always been part of China, little foreigner."

Little Foreigner sighed. "Why don't I dig you a hole with my pickaxe, and you can poo poo into it, Coal Mine Boss Li?"

Cheng Guang furrowed his brows at Little Foreigner, then slapped him with a hearty backhand. "We poo poo together! And I don't need to poo poo now, it's not communal bathroom time yet. How could I poo poo if it's not the time to do it? Idiot Foreigner."

Little Foreigner apologized, which was very foreign of him, and Cheng Guang threw a lump of coal at him as he crawled back down the shaft and out of Cheng Guang's view.

Cheng Guang squatted himself down, pressing his rear end onto the cold, hard ground so that his poo poo wouldn't escape his body. He waited like that, squatting as deep as a Chinese could hope to squat, until communal toilet time finally arrived.

He blew his whistle, and the miners all woke up.

They hustled and bustled out of the shaft, but none faster than Cheng Guang.

Upon exiting the shaft, they all rushed together to the collective toilet. It was one big trench dug into the soil. It took a lot of work to maintain a trough this size, as they always had to dig it deeper when it filled with poo poo and piss. With a work unit of over 40 miners, a huge trough of this size was the only way to accommodate the entire work unit's communal poo poo. A small trough would only be able to hold three or four miners at a time, which would make no sense, as all 40 miners need to poo poo at 3:30pm, which is the time that everyone takes a poo poo together.

Back in the village away from the mineshaft, all the villagers would wake up from their naps to crowd into the village's communal troughs.

When the clock struck 3:30pm, all bowels released. It was like a cacophony, but a cacophony that sounded good instead of bad, as all of Cheng Guang's work unit let their shits rip into the trough. The smell hit him like a wall, and he sighed relief. That smell always reminded him of how good it felt to not have to poo poo anymore.

He pulled out a cigarette and lit it, then he looked down at the man squatting next to him, and they grunted at each other as they smoked and blew smoke into each others' faces.

Once the clock hit 3:33 pm, it was time for them all to pull their pants up without wiping. They did this in unison, and Cheng Guang grunted at everyone to get back into the shaft. He'd spotted a nice dark corner in the shaft, and now that he'd lightened his load, he was going to go have a rest in the musty hole until it was 5:00pm, the time everyone wakes and leaves work together.

angel opportunity fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Sep 27, 2017

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

https://imgur.com/gallery/5oE1r

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
That was a good read. You should write Great Leap shortstories. The means of production.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Oh, my.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

this except george takeiishly

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

angel opportunity posted:

Cheng Guang knew he had to poo poo, but it wasn't time yet. He clenched his cheeks as he shouted down the mineshaft in completely unintelligible garbles of redneck dialect. He even managed to get an "er hua" onto several non-vowels, which should have been impossible.

He wandered down the mineshaft with his hands clasped behind his back. As the boss of the mineshaft, it was his duty to inspect the work unit personally.

He passed by a group of miners squatting down in a pile of garbage, their picks piled on the ground and covered in a layer of coal. They smoked cigarettes and grunted at each other. Cheng Guang grunted at them as he passed by.

His stomach rumbled, and a stream of liquid poo poo escaped into his sole pair of soiled underwear which he hadn't hand-washed in two or three days. He clenched his cheeks harder to stem the flow. The liquid poo poo was hot and warmed him as he walked further down the cold shaft.

He passed a half-dozen more miners all sleeping in a minecart. Their legs were hanging out of the cart as they snored loudly. One miner was managing to smoke a cigarette even as he snored and drooled.

Cheng Guang nodded at him and gave a hearty grunt, praising his ingenuity.

At this rate, Cheng Guang's work unit would definitely not meet the party's quota, which was fine, because the quota didn't need to be filled for two more weeks, and was thus not an immediate problem. Probably in two weeks, on the day of the quota and the day the party's inspectors would arrive, Cheng Guang and his work unit would frantically and ineptly start swinging their pickaxes as they realized the problem, but right now, everything was great.

Except for his need to poo poo.

It wasn't time yet.

Everything in this new country had a time. On September 22nd, the first day of Fall, it was time to put on your thick clothes. The bitter cold hit Xinjiang in early September this year, but only on September 22nd was it time to put on the coats.

7:00AM was the time for breakfast. Cheng Guang's new country only had one timezone, which made a lot of sense for a country more than 6,000 kilometers across. Cheng Guang's village was so far West, that the sun had barely set at 7:00 AM. Still, because 7:00 AM is the time that you eat your breakfast, so Cheng Guang and his family slurped their breakfast in the pitch darkness of 7:00AM.

Around Noon, which was the good time for lunch, the sun finally began to rise, and Cheng Guang and his comrades slurped their lunch and gnawed on their lunch bones while enjoying the Noon sunrise.

10:00pm was the time you go to sleep. The sun wouldn't set for several more hours, but everyone knew you should sleep at 10:00pm if you wanted to be able to wake up in total darkness to slurp your breakfast at 7:00AM.

All of those other times were irrelevant to Cheng Guang in this moment, however, as he waited with tight asscheeks for the time he most craved: communal toilet time.

"Coal Mine Boss Li," the voice near him grunted.

"En?" Cheng Guang grunted back.

"Didn't you hear me?" The voice was Little Foreigner. That's what they called their comrade who had the weird white skin and blue eyes.

"I didn't understand your language," Cheng Guang lied to save face. He hadn't heard him because he was focusing so hard in holding his poo poo in.

"I speak Mandarin," Little Foreigner said. "Your parents brutally colonized my country and forced this language onto me, I've spoken it since birth. I'm not even allowed to learn my parents' langauge."

"Ah," Cheng Guang grunted, retroflexing the poo poo out of the sound, "Yes, you've always been part of China, little foreigner."

Little Foreigner sighed. "Why don't I dig you a hole with my pickaxe, and you can poo poo into it, Coal Mine Boss Li?"

Cheng Guang furrowed his brows at Little Foreigner, then slapped him with a hearty backhand. "We poo poo together! And I don't need to poo poo now, it's not communal bathroom time yet. How could I poo poo if it's not the time to do it? Idiot Foreigner."

Little Foreigner apologized, which was very foreign of him, and Cheng Guang threw a lump of coal at him as he crawled back down the shaft and out of Cheng Guang's view.

Cheng Guang squatted himself down, pressing his rear end onto the cold, hard ground so that his poo poo wouldn't escape his body. He waited like that, squatting as deep as a Chinese could hope to squat, until communal toilet time finally arrived.

He blew his whistle, and the miners all woke up.

They hustled and bustled out of the shaft, but none faster than Cheng Guang.

Upon exiting the shaft, they all rushed together to the collective toilet. It was one big trench dug into the soil. It took a lot of work to maintain a trough this size, as they always had to dig it deeper when it filled with poo poo and piss. With a work unit of over 40 miners, a huge trough of this size was the only way to accommodate the entire work unit's communal poo poo. A small trough would only be able to hold three or four miners at a time, which would make no sense, as all 40 miners need to poo poo at 3:30pm, which is the time that everyone takes a poo poo together.

Back in the village away from the mineshaft, all the villagers would wake up from their naps to crowd into the village's communal troughs.

When the clock struck 3:30pm, all bowels released. It was like a cacophony, but a cacophony that sounded good instead of bad, as all of Cheng Guang's work unit let their shits rip into the trough. The smell hit him like a wall, and he sighed relief. That smell always reminded him of how good it felt to not have to poo poo anymore.

He pulled out a cigarette and lit it, then he looked down at the man squatting next to him, and they grunted at each other as they smoked and blew smoke into each others' faces.

Once the clock hit 3:33 pm, it was time for them all to pull their pants up without wiping. They did this in unison, and Cheng Guang grunted at everyone to get back into the shaft. He'd spotted a nice dark corner in the shaft, and now that he'd lightened his load, he was going to go have a rest in the musty hole until it was 5:00pm, the time everyone wakes and leaves work together.

Same

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFvmpvrSSrw
Reminds me of videos of dogs trying to take sticks through doors/gates but lack the spatial reasoning skills to understand why they won't fit.

Bajaj
Sep 13, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Darkest Auer posted:

What does that even mean? I'm afraid India has utterly broken your mind, especially since apparently you voluntarily live in a prohibition state(?).
Rude. Why so salty?

I mean that rather than TCM's "EVERYTRHING YOU DO WILL KILL YOU UNLESS IT'S HOT WATER!!!!", ayurveda is like "Suffering from too much acid? Eat foods on this other end of the scale from your normal diet." In ayurveda, people are born into certain body element types and should eat accordingly to balance their life energies or whatever they're called. It's largely a diet-based health system.

I was just trying to explain bits about ayurveda and comparing to TCM, I didn't realize answering goon questions and statements is considered "breaking my mind." Posters are vastly over-inflating how little ayurveda has to do with anything here outside of the poorest villages or as part of an advertisement campaign for bodywash or toothpaste. I always tell people here "sorry, I don't believe in it," and that settles it.
The biggest point I was trying to make is that it has nothing to do with daily life, unlike TCM which is one of the strongest systems of mental and physical control in Mainland life outside of Face. loving everything in China has a TCM quip about it. But seriously, ayurveda means nothing here unless you're illiterate and rely on it and homeopathy. Nobody cares, nobody is going to talk about it. I was just trying to say "Chinese can't shut the gently caress up about TCM." I loved being in my thirties and being told that iced tea is going to give me pneumonia and whooping cough because they are cold and my body is hot and my body doesn't know what to do when confronted with cold liquids. In fact, maybe the stomach will get cancer from cold drinks! Humans have never had to eat cold things in the history of human evolution. Oh no.

This is the most I have talked about ayurveda in many years, even living here.

gently caress yeah I live in prohibition state. I don't drink, so I am not sure how that was supposed to be an insult. (Born and raised culturally) Indians make for some horrendous, violent, and angry drunks. Every bit of woman-hating insecurity and social anxiety they try to hide comes flying out. I thought it was very apt that Rajesh on the Big Bang Theory was a rude rear end in a top hat when drunk and it was the only time he was able to talk to girls. Due to intense social, job, and family pressures, a lot of Indian males are walking balls of depression and nihilism. It is an epidemic here on a scale that makes it almost entirely normal and regular for guys to be completely depressed. Put some booze in them and many seem to think they are in the ring in WWE, muscles included.

It's safe and quiet here at night, no matter what time we're out. Except for the young guys who are utterly convinced drinking makes them more Western and modern, I haven't met a single non-college-age person here that thinks they should lift the ban because of how safe it makes the place. The women are thankful as hell for it, whether at home or outside.

EDIT: People here don't smoke, either. I've smelled maybe one cigarette since I've been here, and a couple bidis from road workers. Going from Mainland where people smoke in elevators and 9/10 guys are puffing away, I almost forgot the smell already.

I forgot to add before that my bag was flagged for searching in the Mumbai aiport when I arrived. I had to put it through a special x-ray machine. The woman started chastising the young guy in front of me for bringing foreign cigars and cigarettes into India and he shouldn't smoke and it's bad for him. He said it wasn't his bag, and I raised my hand and she said "oh" and stopped talking.

HerStuddMuffin posted:

Bajaj, I don't mean to pry (bullshit, I totally do), but are you working in India? Are you just living on your savings from China and enjoying life for however long they last?
I have a little bit of stuff I can do online, but mostly taking a break for the next couple months. I'll go somewhere else next and see what I can scrounge up. I have been getting several invites back to Shenzhen, and my excuse has been "They will close the VPNs by February and I can't live in China without one." Even Chaoshan Girl is saying she'll help me get a new place to rent and I should come for a few months at a time to get a break. I told her she can meet me in Thailand or something.

Tantan thinks I am in Kashgar and some other Xinjiang cities. Hooo.. those mixed ethnicity women are drat fine. Seriously, way better than the Guangdong fare over the past year. I'm disappointed now.

Bajaj fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Sep 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

You've posted some really vile and shocking poo poo, but the fact that you watch big bang theory is by far the most unsettling thing I've read in this thread.

• Locked thread