Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Sailor Viy posted:

If every pack has a lot of unplayable cards then don't they become playable by definition?

every card might be playable in a strictly literal sense, but that doesn't mean it feels good to play every card, and a set with a lot of cards it feels bad to play is gonna suffer. idk if thats true for ixalan and tbh i dont see how you'd come to a conclusion not even a week into release

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Entropic posted:

The weird thing about this format to me is that with all the Treasure makers, blue/black pirates is a far better ramp / fixing / splashing deck than any green-based deck. If you grab enough Prosperous Pirates, Sailor of Means, and a couple other incidental Treasure makers, you can basically splash anything.

I had the most fun with Treasure in the prerelease when using it for non-mana purposes like with Treasure Map and Makeshift Munitions. I agree however that I definitely could have splashed a third color even having only three or four Treasure-making cards.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
Green should have better fixing in draft since you will have greater chance to see copies of Dovers and New Horizons come around.

DurdleDuck
Jul 17, 2013

Sailor Viy posted:

If every pack has a lot of unplayable cards then don't they become playable by definition?

I think the problem I've run into so far is that the packs are half unplayable, and the other half has uncommon Reality Smashers etc - the power disparity seems pretty large even at common and uncommon levels. If everything was just kinda bad, that'd probably be better.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

DurdleDuck posted:

I think the problem I've run into so far is that the packs are half unplayable, and the other half has uncommon Reality Smashers etc - the power disparity seems pretty large even at common and uncommon levels. If everything was just kinda bad, that'd probably be better.

yea its pretty much this. theres not a lot of straight unplayables but theres lots of filler commons, and all that filler becomes irrelevant in the face of a big dinosaur or flying creature. Plus removal is pretty poor. once people figure out what the best cards/strategies are, there wont be effective ways to compete with them.

It'll be fine if you're not a serious player and just want to see pirates battling dinosaurs, but it's not looking great for competitive drafters.

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon
Jeskai Approach is a very fun desk from my XMage trials. You have enough power and removal to slog through the first 4-5 turns.

I tried the CFB Esper build too but it seems about 2-3 levels worse than Jeskai. Red spells are too good right now

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Fatal push is now being mass counterfeited by the major Chinese retailers. Be on the lookout in trades.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Sep 27, 2017

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
What was that drafting program people were talking about that simulates opening and drafting 3 packs with 7 other AIs?

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

Salvor_Hardin posted:

What was that drafting program people were talking about that simulates opening and drafting 3 packs with 7 other AIs?

draftsim.com

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Magic Forge also has this but their Ixalan update isn't out yet.

Also also xmage might have bots for drafting? But I don't know if they play games afterwards.

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon

Procrastinator posted:

Magic Forge also has this but their Ixalan update isn't out yet.

Also also xmage might have bots for drafting? But I don't know if they play games afterwards.

You can definitely draft and play sealed on XMage

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

DangerDongs posted:

Hostage taker doesn't work in this format of all the red removal dealing 3 damage. You are better off running Vaska's contempt or what ever it is called. Black losing Grasp is also a major blow, which pretty much makes red all that better.

Hostage taker will be perfectly fine in two kinds of decks:
1. Tempo lists running a ton of counter magic and hand disruption to protect it
2. Scarab God lists than can easily reanimate it as a 4/4 if it does eat a removal sepll

I would also say that losing grasp is a big big deal but looking at the sheer amount of playable black removal we have had a pretty significant increase. I don't know what that means for this standard but having more options for black removal might make things a bit more interesting.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Walk the Plank is pretty great removal tbh

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

LordAbaddon posted:

I would also say that losing grasp is a big big deal but looking at the sheer amount of playable black removal we have had a pretty significant increase. I don't know what that means for this standard but having more options for black removal might make things a bit more interesting.

losing Grasp is absolutely a big deal because now black has no consistent answers for a Hazoret below 4 mana, especially answers that are also generic good cards.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Elyv posted:

losing Grasp is absolutely a big deal because now black has no consistent answers for a Hazoret below 4 mana, especially answers that are also generic good cards.

I know, because I said so in that post you quoted, I was just commenting on how we seem to have more black removal

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

TheKingofSprings posted:

Walk the Plank is pretty great removal tbh

It not being instant is already enough to say its not great removal. In constructed anyway.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
Yeah I gotta agree that Hazoret is looking like she's shaping up to be an absolute terror in this format

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Sickening posted:

Fatal push is now being mass counterfeited by the major Chinese retailers. Be on the lookout in trades.

This card is an standard-legal uncommon still in print. Just thought maybe that should be pointed out for the price it's at.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Gonna laugh when Fatal Push is in MM2021 as a rare.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

ThePeavstenator posted:

This card is an standard-legal uncommon still in print. Just thought maybe that should be pointed out for the price it's at.

I skipped legacy FNM to go play modern because only the winner of legacy gets a promo but the top 15 (aka all) of modern gets one. Also legacy is $10 vs 5 for the other store. I'm drafting this week for the same reason. It'll be horrible.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
https://twitter.com/juzam_/status/913050389519360000

https://twitter.com/toddstevensmtg/status/913074017271205893

:shrug:

Edit: also 1pm pst Arena stream today

https://twitter.com/mtg_arena/status/912761445393289216

Tainen fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Sep 27, 2017

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

It is 99% more likely that Juza is a huge baby than that Ixalan is the worst, just saying.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend
Drafting pirates seems fun, as in they're greedy (heh) with all of the treasure tokens and I think you can find a way to splash some nice bombs with them. This is all after having not drafted it.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Juza is being a wimp. It's not a good format, but it's not THAT bad.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

It is 99% more likely that Juza is a huge baby than that Ixalan is the worst, just saying.

Just read his twitter posts in a Trump voice, makes it much more entertaining

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
My lgs is running ixalan draft tonight so if you all want an unambiguously good and correct opinion, you can check back later cuz I'll be droppin' it hot

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

Ixalan sealed/ draft is fun enough, but one complaint I have is that there are very few things to do with your mana later in the game, so flooding out is much more of a danger than it would be normally. At common you have the 1-drop cycle but they are all fairly unlikely to survive to 8 mana and they are all one-shot effects. You have Jungle Delver as well, a pretty underwhelming card but at least it's something. At uncommon you have Ruthless Knave, Thundering Spineback, Deadeye Plunderers, Shapers of Nature.

At rare you have ridiculous bombs like Waker of the Wilds, Captivating Crew, Repeating Barrage, and most of the flip cards.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

sit on my Facebook posted:

My lgs is running ixalan draft tonight so if you all want an unambiguously good and correct opinion, you can check back later cuz I'll be droppin' it hot

Wait, can you do that if the set isn't out?

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE

Sickening posted:

Wait, can you do that if the set isn't out?

We have a pretty tight group of regulars and we'll usually all sheet our pre-release winnings so we can use the packs for a week zero draft without the store having to open any product they're not supposed to

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Lets Pickle posted:

Ixalan sealed/ draft is fun enough, but one complaint I have is that there are very few things to do with your mana later in the game, so flooding out is much more of a danger than it would be normally. At common you have the 1-drop cycle but they are all fairly unlikely to survive to 8 mana and they are all one-shot effects. You have Jungle Delver as well, a pretty underwhelming card but at least it's something. At uncommon you have Ruthless Knave, Thundering Spineback, Deadeye Plunderers, Shapers of Nature.

At rare you have ridiculous bombs like Waker of the Wilds, Captivating Crew, Repeating Barrage, and most of the flip cards.

I'm struggling to think how anyone could beat Vraska in limited. I played against her at the prerelease and it wasn't even sort of close.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Draft review from a teammate:

The draft format is really straight forward. There's almost no hard removal, your curve is extremely important, and there are a handful of bomb uncommons and commons that will crush you in draft. Curving out is extremely important. There's almost no way to catch up on board once you're behind and because of synergy, snowballing advantage is a huge part of the strategy.
Tier 1 - RW aggro, RG Dinos, BW Vampires
Tier 1.5 - RB Pirates(?)
Tier 2 - UG Merfolk, UB Pirates

UW and GW don't appear to exist.

Uncommon and Common Cards that matter:

Tilonalli's Knight(C), Territorial Hammerskull(C), Merfolk Branchwalker(U), Otepec Huntmaster(U), Drover of the Mighty(U), Sky Terror(U), Charging Monstrosaur(U), Adanto Vanguard(U), Steadfast Armasaur(U), Duskborne Skymarcher(U). Kitesail Freebooter(U).
The decent removal is almost entirely sorcery speed, so two for ones are mostly in combat.
Pious Interdiction, Contract Killing, Walk the Plank, Ixalan's Binding, Lighting Strike, Savage Stomp, Unfriendly Fire

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
Pulled her in my second prerelease. Went 4-0.

Rides Naked
Jun 4, 2006

Program, Whale, Program
I've done like 4 drafts, not avr level but not super impressive. As others have noted there is some fairly crazy power discrepancy stuff happening. I like r/w aggro; the 2/3 dino fiend binder is kinda a house and you can end up with a ludicrous amount of them. 3 mana for that effect is real cheap and real good.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I remember liking Thrash of Raptors in the prerelease. A 3/3 for 3R is OK but getting +2/+0 and trample if you have another Dinosaur in play is real nice, especially in multiples. I went turn 2 Huntmaster, turn 3 Thrash, turn 4 Thrash swing for 10 with trample one game :feelsgood:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Let me spend treasure to hire mercenaries

Give me a bank I can put my treasure into

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Magic Arena stream

E: Apparently there are going to be cosmetics of some sort

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

DurdleDuck posted:

the avacyn restored gambit. although avacyn restored went even harder and made it so that you could never recover on top of most of the playable cards being massive beaters.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
The set would be awful if everything was just kinda bad though

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

the obvious solution is to not make bad cards but thats some galaxy brain level poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

rabidsquid posted:

the avacyn restored gambit. although avacyn restored went even harder and made it so that you could never recover on top of most of the playable cards being massive beaters.

It's pretty amazing that in AVR a 2/4 Flying Lifelink for four mana was like the fifth best common somehow. There was some dumb poo poo at common and uncommon, and there was also a whole lot of blanks, AND the rares were mostly either unplayables or game enders.

I'd much rather play Masques draft than AVR.