Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Inquisitor :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

That looks sick, what's inquisitor's deal supposed to be? I remember some sort of dual pistol specialization but I don't actually know.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.
Grimtools is updated with the 2 new classes if you want to plan ahead. Also I'm pretty pumped.

watho posted:

That looks sick, what's inquisitor's deal supposed to be? I remember some sort of dual pistol specialization but I don't actually know.

Heavy on elemental/tri-elemental/pierce dual-pistol skills and 'seals' which I assume are like the Occultist's Sigil of Consumption.

Stokes fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Sep 19, 2017

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents
Release date is early october (not yet set in stone) and the two new masteries as well as the new devotions are available for preview on grimtools.com

As was expected from the dev stream screenshots, the Inquisitor is a very strong class for both solo and particularly group play, with many viable combinations, whereas the Necromancer is a garbagecannon for everything but pet builds.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

Here's the most obvious melee and ranged builds for Inquisitor. Inquisitor pairs well with Nightblade and Demo because neither has exclusive skills and both have default attack replacers, and you'll want both. (Technically Nightblade doesn't have one, but Shard + the dual wield WPS means it's comparable)

Inquisitor + Nightblade melee, featuring 99% enemy cold resist reduction (before your Occultist drops CoF, all of which stacks and can bring negative) and 95% chance to dodge all ranged attacks (this includes almost all AoE attacks) -- 100% if your resident mage runs Shroud of Illusion.
http://www.grimtools.com/calc/m23y4EZR

Inquisitor + Demolitionist ranged, featuring 82% total WPS of which 62% is AoE. Items are a temporary guess and I assume many will be replaced by new Inquisitor items. 2h chosen over dual wield because it's not clear yet if any 1h weapons will grant the Will of Fate/Vortex of Souls pierce property, which I predict will be bonkers with Fire Strike and Inquisitor WPS. None do currently.
http://www.grimtools.com/calc/RZRvoOZD

Dr_Gee
Apr 26, 2008
Just looked at the constellations in Grimtools.

Screw the new high-end constellations, tbh. The one I'm most excited about? The Quill. Holy crap, that's gonna hella change my Bomberwoman's whole setup, I think.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Are the Necro summons still temporary?

ssmagus
Apr 2, 2010
Assmagus, LPer ass-traordinaire
They haven't changed in anyway since we all last told you, so yes, the skeletons are temporary but with a summon cooldown lower than their duration. The reason why the devs have done that is the skill can get 6 different skeletons and summons any three of those at once. Also because the skeletons are slow, And you might need them closer?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

ssmagus posted:

They haven't changed in anyway since we all last told you, so yes, the skeletons are temporary but with a summon cooldown lower than their duration. The reason why the devs have done that is the skill can get 6 different skeletons and summons any three of those at once. Also because the skeletons are slow, And you might need them closer?

I was asking because they kept changing in the prerelease stuff and at one point had an upgrade that made them permanent.

Oh well, I won't be grabbing the expansion then :shrug:

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Zore posted:

No. They're permanent now.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

Zore posted:

It took me literally 5 seconds to go in Grimtools and check this. If this is the level of self-reliance you'll be bringing to the thread, maybe it's better that you don't get the expansion. For the rest of us.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Dr_Gee posted:

Just looked at the constellations in Grimtools.

Screw the new high-end constellations, tbh. The one I'm most excited about? The Quill. Holy crap, that's gonna hella change my Bomberwoman's whole setup, I think.

I really don't feel like looking it up because the constellation UI is garbo, what's it do?

Inquisitor looks fun but there's a lot of skills there that look not great, on paper at least. I might give a fire/lightning demo inquisitor build a go, that might be fun.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

I'm not sure I can think of a single tree that is as good at face value as Inquisitor.

Word of Renewal is probably the single best (group) buff in the game. Inquisitor's Seal is solid and situationally overpowered (Deathmarked Nightblades). Word of Pain is CoF-light. The two exclusives are both group-friendly.

I can't think of a group setup that wouldn't run at least one, preferably two, Inquisitors currently.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

FFFFFF died on the last guy on a Bastion of Chaos run I get like one day every few weeks to play a solid hour argghhgh

looking forward to building an extremely gimped cabalist petmans in the expansion

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
So this is me faffing about at work and figuring out skills for a cabalist. http://www.grimtools.com/calc/q2my3W2j I haven't looked at the new constellations much or all the new gear, so any advice there would be nice. I'm really just going on what the tooltips say since I haven't watched any of the dev streams, so if something is better/worse than it looks, I don't know. Really just spitballing a cabalist version of my old warlock summoner, who spat out a ton of wisps and bugs from assorted gear and buffed them via occultist. Wanted to get Manipulation but going 50/50 mastery is tough enough, let alone dumping another 13 points into it.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I'll just throw points wherever and play til I get bored with the character. I look forward to playing all of Normal and about 1/10th of Elite twenty more times.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

Yawgmoth posted:

So this is me faffing about at work and figuring out skills for a cabalist. http://www.grimtools.com/calc/q2my3W2j I haven't looked at the new constellations much or all the new gear, so any advice there would be nice. I'm really just going on what the tooltips say since I haven't watched any of the dev streams, so if something is better/worse than it looks, I don't know. Really just spitballing a cabalist version of my old warlock summoner, who spat out a ton of wisps and bugs from assorted gear and buffed them via occultist. Wanted to get Manipulation but going 50/50 mastery is tough enough, let alone dumping another 13 points into it.

Aren't you the guy who gave me poo poo for providing you excellent feedback the last time you posted a garbage build? And then proceeded to self-own and disappear from the thread? What the hell are you doing back here? Fix your builds yourself, you still haven't apologized for the last time you "asked for help".

Dr_Gee
Apr 26, 2008

watho posted:

I really don't feel like looking it up because the constellation UI is garbo, what's it do?

Inquisitor looks fun but there's a lot of skills there that look not great, on paper at least. I might give a fire/lightning demo inquisitor build a go, that might be fun.

It's a 4-node elemental constellation that requires 1 green and gives 3/3 green/purple. There hadn't been a great bridge from green to purple prior to this and (I suspect) it'll really help elementalist ranged/caster builds a whole lot. Probably won't need to take something like Hammer on my Bomberwoman just to get those sweet purp points. Elementalist melee will probably go a different route. Here's a hella basic, no-gear non-optimized Bomberperson that's fire/aether oriented: http://www.grimtools.com/calc/d2jaOxN9. Could probably easily do Fire/Lightning and swap in Inquisitor/Shaman instead of Arcanist...or not. Like, it just seems like the tweaks they did to the lower-left of the constellations (Murmur, Wretch, Quill; where I tend to spend most my time) are going to massively support some of my favorite builds. I have a hunch the upper-right of the constellations also got tweaked, too, but I don't spend as much time over there.

Also, while a whole lot less experienced with the game than Mash (with 0 multiplayer time), I concur with what they're saying about Inquisitor. poo poo's ridiculous unless you're really trying to avoid all elemental damage...and even then it seems like it still has decent nodes.

Dr_Gee fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Sep 28, 2017

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

The Mash posted:

Aren't you the guy who gave me poo poo for providing you excellent feedback the last time you posted a garbage build? And then proceeded to self-own and disappear from the thread? What the hell are you doing back here? Fix your builds yourself, you still haven't apologized for the last time you "asked for help".
lol nice meltdown

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

Yawgmoth posted:

lol nice meltdown

Nice threadshitting, dickweed. Just stop posting. I wasn't the only one who called you out last time you asked for help and then turned around and gave me poo poo for giving you exactly the help you asked for.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Yawgmoth posted:

lol nice meltdown

You suck.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

ok

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
It took me a while to find the info, but for those of us who backed this way back in the day at a high enough tier, apparently expansion keys will be distributed through humble bundle. It doesn't seem to be stickied anywhere on the Grim Dawn forums.

I'd forgotten that the keys were even distributed like that in the first place.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

People extending this conversation is making the whole thread suck. If you don't like someone, ignore him. I don't know why 2 month old, barely noticeable drama is worth dredging up to get into an absurd, childish discussion of who is and who isn't allowed to post in the thread.

Edit: To at least keep this partly relevant so I can pretend like I'm not being part of the problem, depending on itemization, I'm looking forward to playing a vitality decay death knight, using the new necro skills and vitality conversion with transmuted blade sweep to make a new type of tanky, DoT based, mixed range fighter/mage -- overall my favorite character type in Grim Dawn.

Heithinn Grasida fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Sep 29, 2017

Diogenes of Sinope
Jul 10, 2008

Heithinn Grasida posted:

Edit: To at least keep this partly relevant so I can pretend like I'm not being part of the problem, depending on itemization, I'm looking forward to playing a vitality decay death knight, using the new necro skills and vitality conversion with transmuted blade sweep to make a new type of tanky, DoT based, mixed range fighter/mage -- overall my favorite character type in Grim Dawn.

I'm also curious about this type of build. Pet builds aren't really my thing, but it looks like there are other options in the necro tree. Haven't dug into it much (frankly haven't played GD in months, been waiting for the expansion), hopefully it pans out.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Just checked Humble to see if I was getting the expansion but only bought the alpha/beta tier. Oh well they were gonna get my money either way.

Apparently I was meant to get the hat/coat/beer goodies, which was unexpected. Edit: found it wooo

Chubby Henparty fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Sep 29, 2017

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Heithinn Grasida posted:

People extending this conversation is making the whole thread suck. If you don't like someone, ignore him. I don't know why 2 month old, barely noticeable drama is worth dredging up to get into an absurd, childish discussion of who is and who isn't allowed to post in the thread.
It's really just The Mash throwing the same little tantrum he always throws. He's the Plutonis of Games and I have treated him as such.

Heithinn Grasida posted:

This sounds pretty fun and a bit like what I do with my blademaster but with less charging about the world. Wanna drop a grimtools link and we can discuss it?

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Yawgmoth posted:

This sounds pretty fun and a bit like what I do with my blademaster but with less charging about the world. Wanna drop a grimtools link and we can discuss it?

Vitality Decay Death Knight

This is just a very basic concept of the build with no devotions. I don't know what kind of gear will support it, whether there will be anything that supports bleed + vitality decay which could push the build in a different direction, or whether vitality decay is even a worthwhile concept in the expansion at all. One major weakness is that there is no real devotion proc that supports the build other than the new tier 3 devotion with -vitality resistance. Compared with a poison witchblade, which has fairly weak gear support, but can get massive poison explosions from Abomination, this build might really lack ways to apply vitality decay other than directly from its skills, which might not be enough.

I stopped at 32 Soldier, but I'm not sure if maxing Soul Harvest is worth it. I could leave it at one point and squeeze a few points into Scars of Battle instead, which might be better. Also not sure whether the massive single target vitality decay from Reap Spirit would be worth considering in spite of the fact that the aether damage and summon would likely be useless.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Heithinn Grasida posted:

It was literally only me extending it, I just didn't want The Mash to feel like he was standing on his own. People acting like assholes should be called out on it. I insulted someone for making GBS threads on the most helpful poster in the entire thread, I regret nothing.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Sep 30, 2017

Half-wit
Aug 31, 2005

Half a wit more than baby Asahel, or half a wit less? You decide.
I always found that it barely mattered what you "specced into" as far as class goes, because your build is more determined by what equipment you put on.

Similarly, Constellations (available to every class) always seemed to have a greater effect than the base class skill trees, as well.

Therefore...the best choice is to choose two classes that give you the class name you want.

IE: Necromancer-Inquisitor is going to be the best combination in the expansion because then you're called an "Apostate"

http://www.grimdawn.com/guide/character/masteries.php

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

mash isn't much better for spazzing out up there months after the fact.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I wanted to play this game some again, but I'll guess I'll wait for the expansion since it's less than a month out. Would necro be worth including on a poison build? Occultist/Necro I guess. Poison caster is the next thing I want to try.

Half-wit posted:

I always found that it barely mattered what you "specced into" as far as class goes, because your build is more determined by what equipment you put on.

Similarly, Constellations (available to every class) always seemed to have a greater effect than the base class skill trees, as well.

Therefore...the best choice is to choose two classes that give you the class name you want.

IE: Necromancer-Inquisitor is going to be the best combination in the expansion because then you're called an "Apostate"

http://www.grimdawn.com/guide/character/masteries.php

Occultist/Inquisitor is "Deceiver" which is pretty good.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I'm honestly just looking forward to being able to dual-wield pistols without waiting til level 20 or 25.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

docbeard posted:

I'm honestly just looking forward to being able to dual-wield pistols without waiting til level 20 or 25.

Did they change the mechanics of dual pistol firing any?

I mean, can the new class actually fire two shots at once or is it still that annoying stutter-shot?

Hauki
May 11, 2010

baram. posted:

mostly it just looks like two assholes being assholes to each other in an otherwise dead thread

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.
Steam has been updated with the expansion achievements.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

baram. posted:

I was literally two thirds way through typing up a thorough response to his question when I realized he was the guy who gave me poo poo the last time I did exactly that, and as long as I'm the only person in the thread giving feedback on endgame builds, I reserve the right to call out shitheads for what they are

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

It was literally only me extending it, I just didn't want The Mash to feel like he was standing on his own. People acting like assholes should be called out on it. I insulted someone for making GBS threads on the most helpful poster in the entire thread, I regret nothing.

Thanks, appreciated :)

Half-wit
Aug 31, 2005

Half a wit more than baby Asahel, or half a wit less? You decide.

Stokes posted:

Steam has been updated with the expansion achievements.

B...but...how do I get the achievements if the expansion isn't out yet?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Half-wit posted:

:anderswasrightfuckthechantry:

e;

Fintilgin posted:

It took me a while to find the info, but for those of us who backed this way back in the day at a high enough tier, apparently expansion keys will be distributed through humble bundle. It doesn't seem to be stickied anywhere on the Grim Dawn forums.

I'd forgotten that the keys were even distributed like that in the first place.

Oh gently caress I forgot I'd even backed. Do you recall what the needed amount for this is? I backed a fairly high sum IIRC and I'll be as happy as a pig in shite if I get AoM for no further money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Mister Adequate posted:

:anderswasrightfuckthechantry:

e;

Oh gently caress I forgot I'd even backed. Do you recall what the needed amount for this is? I backed a fairly high sum IIRC and I'll be as happy as a pig in shite if I get AoM for no further money.

I think I backed at $58 which was sufficient, but you should be able to just log into kickstarter and check your old pledge.