Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Don't worry guys, Trump might not be lifting the Jones Act to help Puerto Rico, but he's doing it for the right reasons:

https://twitter.com/rebeccaballhaus/status/913088395286597633

Well, I mean...what good's a tragedy if no one profits?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I'm one of the 33,035 people replying to a single trump tweet

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

You'll have to get someone else to talk to Trump about lifting the Jones Act. Hopefully they'll time their little conversation just right so nobody with US Shipping interests talks to Donny between the end of their conversation and him making a definitive tweet about it.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
No way he's actually going to sign an EO about selling insurance across state lines. Surely he just off the cuffed that and his advisors are now either explaining to him why he literally can't do that or distracting him with some tasty yum yums or something.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
I'm pretty sure we've seen this EO song and dance before. He's going to sign something directing HHS to draft a plan that would allow for insurance to be sold across state lines and think he actually made a law.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

empty whippet box posted:

No way he's actually going to sign an EO about selling insurance across state lines. Surely he just off the cuffed that and his advisors are now either explaining to him why he literally can't do that or distracting him with some tasty yum yums or something.

You have to remember that he thinks all the things he's been signing are Executive Orders, because he still doesn't know what an EO actually is. All those pointless signing ceremonies they've been holding where he signs toothless proclamations, statements, and requests for Congress to do something? He thinks' those are all things he actually made happen by signing them and now they're happening and man are all the previous Presidents dumb and low energy for not accomplishing so many thing as the golden Donald J. Trump.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Flip Yr Wig posted:

I'm pretty sure we've seen this EO song and dance before. He's going to sign something directing HHS to draft a plan that would allow for insurance to be sold across state lines and think he actually made a law.

Followed by firing the head of HHS the next day.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

This so wrong. The idea is that all insurance companies would locate to the state with the most favorable conditions, ie Delaware. The consumer benefits are exactly 0.

Well sure there's that too, but the funny thing is this won't even entice insurance companies into selling insurance to more states. The barrier to getting into a new state is not paperwork or regulation, its fear of adding a large book of business that is badly mispriced and you don't figure that out until you've already lost millions and are on the hook for millions more. When insurance companies expand, they do it cautiously and slowly. You aren't going to bribe them into rapid expansion with a slightly-more company-friendly contract language.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Did this get posted? Jesus Christ.

https://twitter.com/jaketapper/status/913057532976955392

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
https://twitter.com/BillKristol/status/912788806687952896

Throwing Turtles
May 3, 2015

I'm having chicken salad for lunch today. Karl Marx was right.

Javes
May 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT APPEARING OFFLINE SO I DON'T HAVE TO TELL FRIENDS THEY'RE NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR MY VIDEO GAME TEAM.
https://twitter.com/sahilkapur/status/913108548833484808

Javes fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Sep 27, 2017

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

More like #standingonthelittlepeople.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Local Candidate Found Posting On Forums For Drug Users And Gun Nuts

E. Owner of the website known to troll mothers of dead babies and fight movie directors.

Local Candidate associated with Slenderman murders.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Dear god do not post that you are running for office on a board where apparently people get doxxed by alt-right fucks.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Mystic Mongol posted:

He's a disaster for the country as a politician, but he was the real deal in Vietnam. His captors gave him the opportunity to leave (they found out his family was rich and thought they could get something for him) but he refused to leave without his subordinates, a decision that cost him five years and maimed him to this day.

It wasn't just that his family was rich: his father was the commander of the United States Pacific Command. They literally captured the admiral's son and were trying to exchange him.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

The USS John S. McCain that was in the news recently for the mid-sea collision is named after his Father AND Grandfather.

Rigel posted:

Well sure there's that too, but the funny thing is this won't even entice insurance companies into selling insurance to more states. The barrier to getting into a new state is not paperwork or regulation, its fear of adding a large book of business that is badly mispriced and you don't figure that out until you've already lost millions and are on the hook for millions more. When insurance companies expand, they do it cautiously and slowly. You aren't going to bribe them into rapid expansion with a slightly-more company-friendly contract language.

There's also the not-insignificant challenge of setting up a network of providers.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

YOU BETTER STAND FOR THAT FLAG THOUGH!!!

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Wow great job one-upping Paul Ryan, Scotty, you're so with it.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

If you like your money, you can keep it

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Taerkar posted:

The USS John S. McCain that was in the news recently for the mid-sea collision is named after his Father AND Grandfather.

There's also the not-insignificant challenge of setting up a network of providers.

I hadn't thought of that because its not as relevant in my flavor of insurance, but yeah you are right. Not already having agreements set up with the local hospitals is an enormous barrier to entry.

letthereberock
Sep 4, 2004

For health insurance, the difference between state regs really only accounts for a very small percentage of the difference in the price of plans. No one in California is going to be saving a ton of money by purchasing a plan out of South Carolina. The plan would still be underwritten based on the expected cost of care in California.

"Selling across state lines" is such a red herring in the health insurance debate that I can't believe anyone who uses it really believes it.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Another tooth is forming on the alligator of disapproval.

https://twitter.com/NateSilver538/status/913111799632994304

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Tim Scott than gripped the podium and yelled "wazzzzzzup," before announcing the new official South Carolina state mascot: the Noid.

Tart Kitty fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Sep 27, 2017

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
wtf is bridage

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

So, a nice thing about being in California is that my insurance has to cover trans-related health care. Could a trans person in say, North Carolina, purchase Californian insurance with trans coverage and have it covered? Or could the insurance company still deny those requests because of state laws not requiring coverage for trans related care (eg hormones)?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Number of brides in a given area.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Rigel posted:

Another tooth is forming on the alligator of disapproval.

https://twitter.com/NateSilver538/status/913111799632994304

I think we have to accept that for the next 6-12 months, unless the economy crashes, Trump's approval rating will hover between 35-40%. Which is terrible, but not low enough to cause Republicans/Supporters to abandon him in the run up to the mid terms.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Mystic Mongol posted:

He's a disaster for the country as a politician, but he was the real deal in Vietnam. His captors gave him the opportunity to leave (they found out his family was rich and thought they could get something for him) but he refused to leave without his subordinates, a decision that cost him five years and maimed him to this day.

He hasn't been "the real deal" at any time in his loving life. He only became a pilot through his father's connections, and by most accounts he was a lovely, unsafe pilot.

You know why he didn't take the offer to get released? Because it'd have required him to make disloyal statements and violate the Code of Conduct, risking a court martial. It was an offer given to many and it meant speaking out against the US and lying about the treatment they got to the press. They had to admit the US was a war criminal and the treatment they got from the North Vietnamese was "lenient and humane". Refusal was common. Nothing extraordinary there.

Want to know the only extraordinary part? That he was the son of a Navy admiral. And how did the NV discover this? Because McCain told them. Because within 2 weeks of capture he broke down and spilled the beans on loving everything.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

French.
masculine noun
(automobiles) speed governing

Or maybe he typed brigade wrong.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

farraday posted:

French.
masculine noun
(automobiles) speed governing

Or maybe he typed brigade wrong.

I'd rather think he spelled birdage wrong and it was a dumb joke about tweet storms

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Rigel posted:

That wouldn't really be "buying insurance across state lines". Currently insurers choose whether or not they want to sell to people in say, Chicago. (The requirements to file rates and comply with state regulations are not a big deal)

When people say they want to buy across state lines what they typically mean is they want to tell insurance companies they can no longer pick and choose which areas of the country to sell insurance, you either make your product available to everyone in the country, or no one. Health insurance companies are obviously going to fight against that.

The thing that idiot republicans don't get is that its not state laws that prevent or hinder insurance companies from doing business, the insurance companies themselves do not necessarily want to be in business in every state, especially if they have no data or experience in a new state.

The requirements to fill rates with state DOIs are a big deal because the state DOIs have some say on those rates. Those rates are derived from risk pools. Vis a vis, the risk pool is limited to your state. I'm part of a "national account" (i.e. my company has offices in multiple states), but technically the company that insures me (UnitedHealthcare) is a local CT subsidiary, and the largest possible risk pool is the population of CT (about 10 million people). Right or wrong (and I'm not an actuary), the idea is that if you could sell to larger risk pools, you could have lower rates.

This probably impacts the regional health plans more than the large national ones: if you can suddenly sell to 10s of millions of people rather than your current state, it might open up more competition.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Conspiratiorist posted:

Want to know the only extraordinary part? That he was the son of a Navy admiral. And how did the NV discover this? Because McCain told them. Because within 2 weeks of capture he broke down and spilled the beans on loving everything.

yeah what a dickless loser for suffering psychological collapse after two measly weeks in a brutal prison camp. there are guys in guantanamo who have gone longer than that without suffering intense mental harm. what a dumbass

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

boner confessor posted:

yeah what a dickless loser for suffering psychological collapse after two measly weeks in a brutal prison camp. there are guys in guantanamo who have gone longer than that without suffering intense mental harm. what a dumbass

Correct, he was just another PoW, no more heroic than the many that broke under pressure.

For those two weeks. Afterwards he was called the "crown prince", kept isolated from the others and given special treatment including medical care, since he became an invaluable propaganda tool.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
E: Might be a bit much

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
https://twitter.com/my2k/status/913110559024803840

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Honestly if he's allowed to say his name, i would assume they would figure out the rest sooner or later.

The fact that he chose to remain there rather than leave isn't in dispute though, I believe.

As far as McCain as a politician - I disagree with his politics, but he does represent a kind of Senator that believed in the purpose of government and the worthwhile-ness of having rules and conventions. So from that perspective, more people like him would be better than more jackasses who don't believe in anything but blowing things up and then cashing out.

letthereberock
Sep 4, 2004

Gnossiennes posted:

So, a nice thing about being in California is that my insurance has to cover trans-related health care. Could a trans person in say, North Carolina, purchase Californian insurance with trans coverage and have it covered? Or could the insurance company still deny those requests because of state laws not requiring coverage for trans related care (eg hormones)?

If the California insurer's plan documents state that they cover something, they'd have to cover it. They couldn't retroactively say "oops you live in a place where we don't legally have to cover this so we aren't."

The idea behind buying across state lines is people saving money by buying worse plans from states with fewer regulations. But like I mentioned the impact would be minimal.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Do we know for sure that Vladivostok isn't a suburb in Boston?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
McCain wasn't a lovely pilot. He also did heroics on Forrestal fire, and had plenty of opportunities to avoid combat.
He helped fellow inmates during captivity, and had a good career after pow time in increasing naval aviation safety under his command, and did a good career in the Navy.

This can be disconnected from his politics.

• Locked thread