Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
Cool, I'll look for that price range the.

Oh, and after some more browsing I came across Pterinopelma sazimai. What do you guys think of that T?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

Agrajag posted:

Cool, I'll look for that price range the.

Oh, and after some more browsing I came across Pterinopelma sazimai. What do you guys think of that T?

I've never kept that particular species, but if I recall correctly they prefer slightly cooler temperatures than most other new world species. I don't believe they are very difficult to keep though.

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON
So, our beardie has picked up a parasite and as part of the treatment and prevention process the vet has told us to get rid of organic materials like wood in his tank, as they can harbor stuff. This means he's losing his driftwood, which he loves.

Cursory glance at amazon and petco looks like all the similar stuff for sale is "natural," is there anyone out there that makes poly equivalents for climbing?

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

mactheknife posted:

So, our beardie has picked up a parasite and as part of the treatment and prevention process the vet has told us to get rid of organic materials like wood in his tank, as they can harbor stuff. This means he's losing his driftwood, which he loves.

Cursory glance at amazon and petco looks like all the similar stuff for sale is "natural," is there anyone out there that makes poly equivalents for climbing?

Oh poo poo, that sucks! My dude loves his driftwood. If it's just climbing surface you need for now you could probably fashion some stuff with builders cloth in a pinch.

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo
Couldn't you also soak the wood in a bleach solution for a couple days? Then obviously soaks in clean water.

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

Cless Alvein posted:

Couldn't you also soak the wood in a bleach solution for a couple days? Then obviously soaks in clean water.

According to the Dr, that won't clean it? I don't know, sounds weird to me but I feel like she'd know better.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
You should be able to find something similar in the fish section

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

mactheknife posted:

According to the Dr, that won't clean it? I don't know, sounds weird to me but I feel like she'd know better.

You could bake your stuff, but perhaps the concern is shedding parasites live on the wood and then re-infect your pet later.

But yeah fish section, all those underwater decorations, your beardie doesn't really care if his basking spot is a natural piece of wood, or a garish resin skull.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Leperflesh posted:

But yeah fish section, all those underwater decorations, your beardie doesn't really care if his basking spot is a natural piece of wood, or a garish resin skull.
On that note, I'm a little surprised how common "natural" themed cages are as opposed to all the alternatives. Naively I'd expect to see more terrariums that look like space ships.

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011
We're all nature nerds more than we are specialty diorama curators

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

Thanks for the advice everyone. Ordered him a hammock and will be hitting up the aquarium section as well.

Also, his background/wallpaper is of a flaming castle. Because he's a dragon...

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Goddammit, now you're making me want to add a Captains chair to the tank. I bet he'd climb it.

Solid Cake
Jan 17, 2008

TRAPPED IN QUANTUM CHOCOLATE SINGULARITY!
SEND HELP!
Pillbug
Hi thread,

I don't know anything about reptiles (I am still working my way through the thread and learning), but my fiance loves snakes and wants to get one this year, probably in November. We are looking at getting a Western hognose because they are adorable and seem to be really chill from what I've read.

We need to get an enclosure for it before we go pick one up - several sources have said that a 5 gallon tank is good for hatchlings, and a 20 gallon tank will be good for an adult snake. The thing is, how long will it stay a baby? Is there any reason why we can't just go with the 20 gallon from the get-go since hognoses are ground-dwellers anyway? Or is that too much space for a little guy and it'll freak him out?

Unrelated: Do any of you with hognoses find them to be cuddly? A friend of mine has a ball python that loves to hang on you and chill and crawl around in your shirt and we'd really love a really physical snake like that - are we getting a good one for that sort of thing, or are they more hands off? (I realise that this will vary between individuals)

Thank you in advance for any advice you might have for a first-time noodle owner.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Solid Cake posted:

We need to get an enclosure for it before we go pick one up - several sources have said that a 5 gallon tank is good for hatchlings, and a 20 gallon tank will be good for an adult snake. The thing is, how long will it stay a baby? Is there any reason why we can't just go with the 20 gallon from the get-go since hognoses are ground-dwellers anyway? Or is that too much space for a little guy and it'll freak him out?
Thank you in advance for any advice you might have for a first-time noodle owner.

You could do something that someone suggested to me when i got my beardie. I didn't want to get a 20-gallon tank because he was just going to outgrow it, so I started with a 40-gallon setup instead. And the person I was talking to said to just block off part of the habitat while he was small and then open it up when he got bigger.

(I didn't end up doing that, but he didn't seem to care.)

E: apparently I was having a stroke when I originally wrote this

Zamboni Rodeo fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Sep 27, 2017

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

Solid Cake posted:

Hi thread,

Unrelated: Do any of you with hognoses find them to be cuddly? A friend of mine has a ball python that loves to hang on you and chill and crawl around in your shirt and we'd really love a really physical snake like that - are we getting a good one for that sort of thing, or are they more hands off? (I realise that this will vary between individuals)

I would tell the breeder you are getting the snake from that you want one that is calm and chill. Keep in mind they are reptiles and you can be accidentally bitten by the chillest snake, too.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

mactheknife posted:

I'm a total newb, but from that I've gotten from a lot of DIY hobbyists off Youtube; they bake their wood at 200F to kill living stuff on the wood. I can't recall for how long though.

edit: Is it just me or is acrylic suuper expensive vs glass? I'm kinda blown away at how much more nice looking acrylic containers of any sort costs as opposed to random glass food storage stuff.

Heck I was looking at the cost for acrylic sheets and even they cost more than glass sheets for DIY enclosure builds.

Agrajag fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Sep 27, 2017

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

Solid Cake posted:

Hi thread,

I don't know anything about reptiles (I am still working my way through the thread and learning), but my fiance loves snakes and wants to get one this year, probably in November. We are looking at getting a Western hognose because they are adorable and seem to be really chill from what I've read.

Yeah, snakes can stress out when they're in too large of a space. When he was about 2, I moved my bp from a 20 to a 55 because I thought he needed the room (derp). He stopped eating and wouldn't leave his hidey-hole, so I ended up trying a 30, and he was fine.

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

hyperhazard posted:

Yeah, snakes can stress out when they're in too large of a space. When he was about 2, I moved my bp from a 20 to a 55 because I thought he needed the room (derp). He stopped eating and wouldn't leave his hidey-hole, so I ended up trying a 30, and he was fine.

I have to disagree with you there. The size isn't an issue at all, it's open space without adequate hides that causes stress. If you have a 40 gal with one little hide on one side and one little hide on the other, it could cause issues. However a 40 gal with numerous hides and decor will not only be fine, it will be preferable. The only downside to a large cage is trying to find the drat snake in it, and a baby hognose is very tiny.

As a side note though, while hognoses are a very good choice for a first snake thy do tend to spend the majority of their time burrowed in the substrate.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous
Fair enough. I would probably have saved a lot of money if I'd gone with a bigger one, rather than scaling up. I've got my guy in a custom 48" now and he loves it.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Hornworms are apparently goddamn veal steak to 'ol sunny. He now stares at me in the morning hard as gently caress in the same spot, waiting to murder the little green tasties.

How the gently caress does a lizard have so much charisma?

snake and bake
Feb 23, 2005

:theroni:
Yeah, my two cresties have tons of charisma, way more than my pet rocks ball pythons. They're outrageously adorable.

snake and bake fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Sep 30, 2017

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

A beardy. Tangerine markings, he's about to shed again though, so I'll throw up a new pic when he does. Need to try to get him used to being held, but if it's too stressful I will stop.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

PathAsc posted:

Hornworms are apparently goddamn veal steak to 'ol sunny. He now stares at me in the morning hard as gently caress in the same spot, waiting to murder the little green tasties.

How the gently caress does a lizard have so much charisma?

Do you breed your own hornworms?

I just took a look at the price in my area and they're like a buck a piece.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Agrajag posted:

Do you breed your own hornworms?

I just took a look at the price in my area and they're like a buck a piece.

Not yet, I'm looking into it. If I did I wouldn't mind trying to hook goons up because the prices online are pretty ridiculous.

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo

PathAsc posted:

Not yet, I'm looking into it. If I did I wouldn't mind trying to hook goons up because the prices online are pretty ridiculous.

Online are better than in store. I think I paid roughly $13 for 6 of them.

https://dubiaroaches.com/collections/hornworms-for-sale

Isn't TOO awful. The flat rate shipping helps. Especially if you're buying more than hornworms.

They are also crack to all bug eating reptiles.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Cless Alvein posted:

Online are better than in store. I think I paid roughly $13 for 6 of them.

https://dubiaroaches.com/collections/hornworms-for-sale

Isn't TOO awful. The flat rate shipping helps. Especially if you're buying more than hornworms.

They are also crack to all bug eating reptiles.

I couldn't help but laugh at how he jumped at my hand every time I reached in.

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo
My female Tokay wasn't even bothering to chew them. Just swallowed as many as she could. Then she threw one back up barking at me cuz I had the audacity to get within 10 feet of her.

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

What's the best way to get a terrarium more humid? We've got a water bowl in there but it's still about 10-15% too low.

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

Spray bottles or misting system - cover part of the screen with plastic wrap as needed.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Also use a substrate that retains and then gradually releases the moisture, without getting moldy. I recommend a deep layer of sphagnum moss, which is typically pretty clean, soft, easy to burrow into, relatively cheap, and safe for most animals to accidentally swallow. You can heavily mist the moss (or even pour a bit of water directly into it) and it will soak it up like a sponge and then maintain higher humidity in the tank for hours.

Keep in mind that even when you're trying to raise humidity, ventilation is important. Ideally you can keep humidity up while supporting a healthy level of airflow.

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

Depending on what you're dealing with, live plants will also be a major help in raising humidity. This isn't really an option for a lot of animals since they'll destroy your plants pretty quickly, though.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
Anyone here raising their own dubia colony? i kinda need tips on how to keep them especially over the winter.

I just got a hundred of them and have them in one of those clear plastic bins and I bought a heat mat but I keep reading conflicting info on whether I can place the mat under the bin or not. Also I'm currently using some wet paper towels for moisture while I figure out what I want to settle on long term. I'm open to suggestions but I kinda want to avoid water crystals since they are super hard to come by where I am.

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

Agrajag posted:

Anyone here raising their own dubia colony? i kinda need tips on how to keep them especially over the winter.

I just got a hundred of them and have them in one of those clear plastic bins and I bought a heat mat but I keep reading conflicting info on whether I can place the mat under the bin or not. Also I'm currently using some wet paper towels for moisture while I figure out what I want to settle on long term. I'm open to suggestions but I kinda want to avoid water crystals since they are super hard to come by where I am.

Stick it on the side and keep them in a moderately warm room and they'll be fine. Don't bother with water crystals. I have 30+ colonies and have never used them. As long as they have regular fruits and vegetables they'll be fine.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Big Centipede posted:

Stick it on the side and keep them in a moderately warm room and they'll be fine. Don't bother with water crystals. I have 30+ colonies and have never used them. As long as they have regular fruits and vegetables they'll be fine.

But wont the heat mat melt the plastic and does it matter what side to put the heat mat on?? I got the ZooMed repti-therm mat.

Oh, and how much food should I give my colony? I don't want to toss too much in there and end up having rotten leftovers.

I also plan to get some isopods and springtails to toss in there once I get a chance to go to the expo later this month.

Agrajag fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Oct 3, 2017

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles
The pad shouldn't be hot enough to melt the plastic. As far as feeding goes you'll be able to figure out pretty quickly about how much to feed. Start small and if it disappears overnight feed more the next time.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Big Centipede posted:

The pad shouldn't be hot enough to melt the plastic. As far as feeding goes you'll be able to figure out pretty quickly about how much to feed. Start small and if it disappears overnight feed more the next time.

Ok, thanks.

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

Agrajag posted:

Ok, thanks.

No problem. Dubia are pretty easy to keep, just don't start feeding from the colony before it gets established and starts growing.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I have no idea what's hit my balls, maybe the temperature drop here in Phoenix, but 5 of my juvies have started striking the lids whenever I happen by. They think more mice are coming perhaps, even when they've just been fed the day previously, usually 2-4 adult mice.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
I'm still growing out my colony but once I get it established what should I be feeding the dubias for gut loading?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

Agrajag posted:

I'm still growing out my colony but once I get it established what should I be feeding the dubias for gut loading?

Just a variety of good quality food. Decent dog food, carrots, sweet potato, and oranges make a good staple.