Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Serf posted:

Personally I think Chumbyxirinnish is for me.

Could this thing be any more :effort:

Roll a d100 on this table to see how little effort was put into it!

code:
01-10: None at all
11-20: Gave it to the intern
21-30: Hit random keys on the keyboard while watching a skin flick
31-40: Dumped a bunch of scrabble tiles on the floor
41-50: Had Jim speak into a speech-to-text program after he came back from the dentist
51-60: Took some names from awful z-tier fantasy novels Mike Mearls had in his closet and added more consonants to them
61-70: Stole the names from a nerdy tween's first DnD campaign
71-80:  Straight up reused names from previous supplements
81-90: Looked at a bunch of medieval name lists online and spelled them slightly differently
91-100: Spent a whole evening actually coming up with names for the tables

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

I agree on Battlemaster maneuvers and hell I homebrewed 22 new ones, but at the same time I feel like it's a pretty big design problem right now that BM maneuvers are tied to one single fighter archetype and that makes me really not want to play any other fighter archetype. Really, all fighters should get BM maneuvers and the martial archetypes need to be overhauled. Like, Knight is kinda neat, but picking it means no maneuvers at all and that's sad.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Magil Zeal posted:

I agree on Battlemaster maneuvers and hell I homebrewed 22 new ones, but at the same time I feel like it's a pretty big design problem right now that BM maneuvers are tied to one single fighter archetype and that makes me really not want to play any other fighter archetype. Really, all fighters should get BM maneuvers and the martial archetypes need to be overhauled. Like, Knight is kinda neat, but picking it means no maneuvers at all and that's sad.

There was a time when the archetype you picked determined the maneuvers that you got access to

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

There was a time when the archetype you picked determined the maneuvers that you got access to

And yeah if they added a bunch more maneuvers that'd be feasible. Still need the overhaul to do it though. That'd be a much better state than the current one.

Makes me miss the playtest packets and how some of the earlier ones handled martial damage dice. The end result is still disappointing these many years later.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
The problem with revising the fighter is that doing that admits “stupid class for idiots you can look down upon” and “the character you give your annoying kid sibling” aren’t good bases for class design, and that’s not the classic feel of D&D so Metals will never do it. Even if he did, enjoy waiting what five years for it to become AL legal, assuming he has the balls to print the updates ranger in this.

Serf
May 5, 2011

If the fighter is the class for idiots, what does that make barbarians?

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Serf posted:

If the fighter is the class for idiots, what does that make barbarians?

A class for sophisticated idiots.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
I know this is an incredibly stupid build, but how would you folks build a STR based GOO bladelock?

Starting level 5.

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

"When life gives you ghosts, you make ghost-robots"

I think this is a philosophy we can all aspire to.

mango sentinel posted:

I know this is an incredibly stupid build, but how would you folks build a STR based GOO bladelock?

Starting level 5.

Core stuff:
Level 1:
Variant Human for the extra feat to get War Caster.
Starting stat array, with human bonuses:
STR 15 + 1
DEX 14
CON 12
INT 8
WIS 10
CHA 13 + 1

Make your pact weapon a greatsword.

Level 4 Feat:
Great Weapon Master feat for the Power Attack effect.

Invocations:
Level 2: Agonizing Blast and then one of the following: Repelling Blast, Mask of Many Faces, Fiendish Vigor, or Armor of Shadows
Level 5: Thirsting Blade

Spells:
Cantrips:
Eldritch Blast
Booming Blade
Green-flame Blade

Level 1:
Armor of Agathys
Hex

Level 2:
Mirror Image
Invisibility

Level 3:
Fly
Hypnotic Pattern

All levels after this can go wherever. Go Paladin so you can smite, go Wizard so you actually have some spells slots, whatever. If your GM allows Unearthed Arcana, there's the Claw of Acamar invocation that I definitely recommend since it gives you a reach weapon with a smite that stops movement, and the Grasp of Hadar invocation which is basically reverse repelling blast.

Rip_Van_Winkle fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Sep 26, 2017

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

mango sentinel posted:

Starting level 5.

Variant Human (+ sign is add racial point)
STR 15+
DEX 10
CON 13+
INT 8
WIS 12
CHA 14

First level in Fighter for CON save proficiency, Heavy Armor proficiency, Great Weapon Fighting Fighting Style, Second Wind and fighter HP. Rest go into Warlock.

Human Feat goes into Great Weapon Master, or Heavy Armor Master if you want to do Blade Ward+Armor of Agathys shenanigans. Level 4 (5) ASI goes into STR.

Invocations are Devil's Sight and something else. Agonizing Blast works for a decent ranged option. Next level you grab Thirsting Blade for your Extra Attack.

Cantrips: EB, Blade Ward, whatever you want. Green-Flame Blade is going to be better than your Attack action for exactly one level.

Spells: Hex, Armor of Agathys, whatever. Hold Person, Misty Step, Hypnotic Pattern, Counterspell, Fly, are good.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Related: if I'm expecting a fight can I just Hex a party member and move it with a bonus action on my turn in combat?

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

If you kill them first before it wears off.

The cast time is a bonus action to start with, so that wouldn't be necessary - did you think it was an action?

OneTwentySix fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Sep 26, 2017

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

OneTwentySix posted:

If you kill them first before it wears off.

The cast time is a bonus action to start with, so that wouldn't be necessary - did you think it was an action?

Oh, yes. Nevermind then. I all sorts of misread that spell. Thinking it's a full action cast and thinking you could shift it at will, not just at 0 hp.

mango sentinel fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Sep 26, 2017

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Thumbtacks posted:

My group is about to start a campaign my friend is DMing and he homebrewed his own world and stuff, it looks super cool. His only backstory restriction is that we all come from a small farming town and grew up together, so no mysterious strangers or princes or poo poo.

The story is something like we grew up in a small farming town that can grow some vegetable that the rest of the world can't do the area is rapidly growing and becoming rich and that somehow is part of the story, so I have some wiggle room.

I'm trying to think of farm town backstories and I'm not sure what I should focus on. My girlfriend is planning on rolling a Druid that's a "professional scarecrow", we have a rogue and a hunter that I don't know the backstories of. I'm thinking some kind of frontline fighter but I'm not sure which one. Any ideas?

So far I have two options, I'm thinking either a nice and simple farmhand and just grapple everything like that one guy suggested. Another option is a guy that became a paladin because his mom wanted him to but he never really knew what he wanted to do and figured he had to do SOMETHING. I need to be vaguely frontline-y because we have a druid (probably), a ranger, and a thief.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

A Moon druid is a serious front-liner, and I think rangers can play there too, so you might have more flexibility.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Yeah my group's moon druid is the only one who gets close to anything on purpose.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
I was considering that but I think we'll already have a druid so I want to give some more variety. I'm also worried about whether or not we should have a healer, because it feels super weird not having someone that can patch people up, but also that kind of limits my options.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
My point was more like, you have a druid so they may well take the frontline role and you need not constrain yourself based on that. Play who you want.

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!

Thumbtacks posted:

I was considering that but I think we'll already have a druid so I want to give some more variety. I'm also worried about whether or not we should have a healer, because it feels super weird not having someone that can patch people up, but also that kind of limits my options.

Go Bard. You can do anything and everything. Valor for front line, Lore for now caster supremecy.
Heading word will be enough heals for the entire game and Bard's get it at level 1.

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

I was after some feedback on firstly this semi homebrew Arcane Archer option I’m offering our Ranger. Secondly I’ve also changed the Ranger class to allow all Rangers to focus on either their Beast companion or their Hunter skills as they progress. Our party is hitting 5th level so maybe there’s something at higher levels that will make either of these ideas OP or unbalanced.

I’m modifying the UA Arcane Archer to function as a Ranger Conclave. In my campaign a Ranger gains both Hunter and Beastmaster option at 3rd level and then can choose between a Hunter ability or Beastmaster ability for each subsequent Conclave ability, so Conclaves don’t really exist except as more options. I will be adding Arcane Archer to these Conclave options, adding options at 3rd, 7th and 15th level. Generally, if a ranger doesn’t choose Arcane Archer at 3rd level they can’t retrospectively add it later, short of some magical means or other DM fiat.

The Arcane Ranger is lifted from UA, but instead of the Conjure Arrows ability I’m adding an ability at 7th level to craft spell infused arrows (rune arrows) from arcane scrolls and non magical arrows. These can only be fired by “priming” with an arcane arrow, which as per the UA the Arcane Archer may use twice per short rest.

To make a rune arrow, the Arcane Ranger must source an arcane scroll which they decipher using an Arcana check.

At 7th level the Arcane Ranger also gains woodcarving skill to carve runes into the arrow shaft. The AR then casts a ritual whereby the runes magically transfer the spells effects from the scroll into the runes of the arrow and readies the spell to be delivered via the arrow head. The scroll is absorbed into the rune arrow as part of the ritual.

The ranger may only create rune arrows of spell level equivalent to their own ranger spell casting ability. So at 7th level the Arcana Ranger can create rune arrows of 1st or 2nd level, then 3rd level opens up at 9th AR level, etc.

While the AR uses an Arcane Arrow “slot” to prime the rune arrow for firing, the AR can not apply either the force damage or the Arcane Shot feature to a rune arrow. Only the magical energy is transferred to the rune arrow and the energy dissipates at the end of the turn or until it strikes a target or surface, triggering the spell.

The spell save DC and level of the spell should be at the Ranger level, as though the Ranger cast it.

In terms of material expense, I’m thinking the scroll manufacture is the expensive part (50gp for a 1st level scroll and up to 2500gp for a 5th level scroll). Once the Ranger has the scroll they can perform the rune arrow ritual anywhere in the wilderness, as fits their theme.

I’m also I’m considering creating a hierarchy of materials to make rune arrows that deliver the spell more effectively. I’m keeping the flavour that Arcane Archery is an Elven thing so their material skills with Mithril etc can come into play.

I think that seems balanced and should scale with the Ranger, not too OP. How wrong am I?

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

mango sentinel posted:

Oh, yes. Nevermind then. I all sorts of misread that spell. Thinking it's a full action cast and thinking you could shift it at will, not just at 0 hp.

As an FYI, hex also stays around after encounters as well. I think by 5th level it sticks around for 8 hours, then to 24 hours after that. So if everyone does a short rest, it'll usually still be around while you have all your slots back again. You can get it to last an entire Adventure League adventure usually. Unless there is travel.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Sep 27, 2017

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Philthy posted:

As an FYI, hex also stays around after encounters as well. I think by 5th level it sticks around for 8 hours, then to 24 hours after that. So if everyone does a short rest, it'll usually still be around while you have all your slots back again. You can get it to last an entire Adventure League adventure usually. Unless there is travel.

That does, however, require concentration; also, that's not caster level, it's slot level- 3rd or 4th for 8 hours, 5th or above for 24. That's a lot of work for +1d6 damage per round.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

My point was more like, you have a druid so they may well take the frontline role and you need not constrain yourself based on that. Play who you want.

Yeah, make something fun to play and it'll work out. Your party has two characters who can do front-line melee fighting, so I don't think you should feel too compelled to assume that role. What I would do is take a full caster and focus on buffing the other two and debuffing enemies.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

Thumbtacks posted:

My group is about to start a campaign my friend is DMing and he homebrewed his own world and stuff, it looks super cool. His only backstory restriction is that we all come from a small farming town and grew up together, so no mysterious strangers or princes or poo poo.

The story is something like we grew up in a small farming town that can grow some vegetable that the rest of the world can't do the area is rapidly growing and becoming rich and that somehow is part of the story, so I have some wiggle room.

I'm trying to think of farm town backstories and I'm not sure what I should focus on. My girlfriend is planning on rolling a Druid that's a "professional scarecrow", we have a rogue and a hunter that I don't know the backstories of. I'm thinking some kind of frontline fighter but I'm not sure which one. Any ideas?

The town bully has been possessed by sentient fungus. Its plans for peaceful coexistence are well underway. Bwahaha. (ancient oath paladin, charlatan background - he only pretended to be tough)

A local hero selflessly rid the village of a demonic threat - but had to make a pact to get it to 'leave' forever. (a lawful good fighter/fiend warlock with the folk hero background)

Granny Mae has been growing these veggies for 50 years. Eating them for so long has weird results. Don't mess with Granny. (she's an angry barbarian)

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
You're a pod person. When asked why xy or z about pod person traits, just reinforce that you are an exact copy of (insert whatever race or class).

Also, Momotaro. You can grow the crazy huge peaches that hatch you, the folk hero who saves pastoral japan from demons with monkey friends.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Zomborgon posted:

That does, however, require concentration; also, that's not caster level, it's slot level- 3rd or 4th for 8 hours, 5th or above for 24. That's a lot of work for +1d6 damage per round.

Hex is 1d6 necrotic damage per attack rather than per round, so each Edritch Blast beam deals an additional 1d6.

It's clearly designed with a full warlock in mind, since they always cast it at a higher level. On the other hand, a MC warlock will have plenty of level 1 slots to use for it. Main drawback is that concentration means you can't use both it and the Darkness + Devil's Sight combo simultaneously.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Magil Zeal posted:

Hex is 1d6 necrotic damage per attack rather than per round, so each Edritch Blast beam deals an additional 1d6.

It's clearly designed with a full warlock in mind, since they always cast it at a higher level. On the other hand, a MC warlock will have plenty of level 1 slots to use for it. Main drawback is that concentration means you can't use both it and the Darkness + Devil's Sight combo simultaneously.

Should also note that Warlock spells auto level up. You always cast them at the highest spell level. So if you cast hex at 5th level it will last for a day and you won't need to waste another slot on it.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Then you get hit and lose concentration and nobody believes all your big talk about practicing Tantric Hex.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
If a Warlock gets hit, you're doing something wrong, or the DM is bored.

Also doing the Darkness + Devilsight combo will get you murdered at any table without asking permission first.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Philthy posted:

If a Warlock gets hit, you're doing something wrong, or the DM is bored.

Let me tell you about my 2-man sorcerer/warlock party.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Zomborgon posted:

Let me tell you about my 2-man sorcerer/warlock party.

Stack dex, have innate fire resistance and just drop fireballs on yourselves all day. Melee attackers solved.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Man, reading up on all the fun multiclass combos has me wishing I wasn't the dm right now. I'm definitely trying a bladelock next time I am playing.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

mango sentinel posted:

Stack dex, have innate fire resistance and just drop fireballs on yourselves all day. Melee attackers solved.

Naturally, but it's not like I was just going to tell them that- I'm the DM.

Dex is king, what else is new.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Philthy posted:

Also doing the Darkness + Devilsight combo will get you murdered at any table without asking permission first.

I'm pretty sure that's at least 85% of the intent behind the Devil's Sight invocation. Like, you don't even need to MC for it. It's baked into the class. I don't see why it'd require any more permission than any other class using their class features in tandem for good effect.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

[quote="“Magil Zeal”" post="“476824078”"]
I’m pretty sure that’s at least 85% of the intent behind the Devil’s Sight invocation. Like, you don’t even need to MC for it. It’s baked into the class. I don’t see why it’d require any more permission than any other class using their class features in tandem for good effect.
[/quote]

i thought they meant murdered by your party for making it so they can't see.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Magil Zeal posted:

I'm pretty sure that's at least 85% of the intent behind the Devil's Sight invocation. Like, you don't even need to MC for it. It's baked into the class. I don't see why it'd require any more permission than any other class using their class features in tandem for good effect.

The question is not "does the game encourage this interaction." It's very clearly intended. It is also incredibly unfriendly to the rest of your party if it's the core thing your character is doing.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

mango sentinel posted:

The question is not "does the game encourage this interaction." It's very clearly intended. It is also incredibly unfriendly to the rest of your party if it's the core thing your character is doing.

Maybe for a Bladelock. A normal warlock who stands back and blasts generally won't inconvenience his or her allies. Even a Bladelock might be able to find a way to use it, depending on some combination of these factors: how far they can move, what objects they can cast it on, the presence of familiars to handle the objects, and how strict the DM is about stowing/drawing items. Probably lose the defensive benefits though.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

wait, what do objects and familiars have to do with making it so your party can't see? i think maybe we're talking past each other about different things?

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Trebuchet King posted:

wait, what do objects and familiars have to do with making it so your party can't see? i think maybe we're talking past each other about different things?

You can cast Darkness on an object, and if you can fully cover the object it blocks the Darkness. The idea being that you cast Darkness on an object on your person, then after you make whatever attacks you want you can cover up the object to let your allies see again. How exactly you do this is shenanigans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
You can cast it on an object and then fiddle with the hand economy and your free object interaction per turn to stow/unstow said object.

It's stupid.

Anyway, as long as you don't cast Darkness on top of your party it's all fine. Hex is higher damage over an encounter anyway, so Darkness is just for the defensive benefits.