Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

josh04 posted:

Yeesh, someone needs to let the guy who wrote this know that less is sometimes more. "Tarkin had a SMALL INKLING that maybe he might SUSPECT that he knew the secret identity of the DARK LORD... perhaps someone he knew from his PAST LIFE... someone he had WORKED WITH... someone whose name began with an "A"..."

Tarkin is not a good book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I always figured Tarkin obviously knew that Vader was Anakin. They bonded over their love of fascism during the Clone Wars.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Sounds like Hamill's twitter goof has been confirmed by one of the leak sites and the 8 trailer is coming on October 9. Cool

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNGWh_-R1VE

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Goddamn that got me excited about Star Wars again.

I'll take it.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

It's nice to see what EA and it's partners were able to create on a proper schedule without Disney poking them in the arm every 15 seconds prior to Episode VII, saying "Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet?", as was the case with the last Battlefront.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

every day i open palm slam game into n64 its episode 1 racer and right then and there is tart doing the moves w/main character bullseye navior. not everyone can say beat sebulba but i can i say it every day etc

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Zas posted:

every day i open palm slam game into n64 its episode 1 racer and right then and there is tart doing the moves w/main character bullseye navior. not everyone can say beat sebulba but i can i say it every day etc

loving Star Wars post of the decade.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

They appear to have actually listened to complaints about the first game. I was hesitant after the Battlefront was such a disappointment (beyond looking beautiful). But this looks fantastic.

Though it does bug me that they say this game "introduces character classes", when the first two Battlefront games from 2004 and 2005 had them years ago. They just got rid of them for the new Battlefront game.

Also, the naming convention they went with made talking about these games compared to the 2004 and 2005 games really annoying. There are now two games called Star Wars Battlefront, and two games called Star Wars Battlefront 2.

Still, though.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Gonz posted:

It's nice to see what EA and it's partners were able to create on a proper schedule without Disney poking them in the arm every 15 seconds prior to Episode VII, saying "Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet?", as was the case with the last Battlefront.

Yeah. You mean it's nice to see what a developer can do without EA forcing a deadline on them right? Because if you think EA was some put upon underdog then...

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

PriorMarcus posted:

Yeah. You mean it's nice to see what a developer can do without EA forcing a deadline on them right? Because if you think EA was some put upon underdog then...

My sympathy for EA is near non-existent, but it's incredible that Battlefront 1 even happened considering the deadlines for EVERYONE involved 2 years ago, both publishers and developers.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

lol at that brief scene where a stormtrooper uses what appears to be a shotgun. Like a normal rear end shotgun with projectile bullet spread... :wtc:

I hope they don't start adding poo poo into the movies like that. That stupid riot baton that can't be cut by a lightsaber from VII got the biggest eye-roll from me because it was like some dumb poo poo a second grader made up whilst playing outdoors...

"Oh yea? well I'm wearing lightsaber proof armor! Can't cut me!"

Serf
May 5, 2011

BarronsArtGallery posted:

lol at that brief scene where a stormtrooper uses what appears to be a shotgun. Like a normal rear end shotgun with projectile bullet spread... :wtc:

I hope they don't start adding poo poo into the movies like that. That stupid riot baton that can't be cut by a lightsaber from VII got the biggest eye-roll from me because it was like some dumb poo poo a second grader made up whilst playing outdoors...

It just seemed to be a rediscovery of the electro-staves used by those battle droids Obi-Wan and Anakin fought in Revenge of the Sith.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

I have bad news for you: it's poo poo like that from now until Disney sells the exhausted and nigh-worthless franchise to some wealthy fan for $10.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Serf posted:

It just seemed to be a rediscovery of the electro-staves used by those battle droids Obi-Wan and Anakin fought in Revenge of the Sith.

Yeah, that's just existing Prequel era technology.

homullus posted:

I have bad news for you: it's poo poo like that from now until Disney sells the exhausted and nigh-worthless franchise to some wealthy fan for $10.

But I guess keep blaming Disney.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Believe it or not, it's actually a carry-over from the Republic Commando game:

I think they have the Bryar pistol from Jedi Knight in there as well

Cross-Section fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Sep 27, 2017

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

George Lucas actually vetoed against the existence of lightsaber resistant material.

Also this is part of the Episode 8 toyline:

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

The MSJ posted:

George Lucas actually vetoed against the existence of lightsaber resistant material.

If he vetoed it, how'd it get into published material when he owned the franchise?

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

what about vibroblades

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Apparently it's a new thing he decided when making Clone Wars, which was at a higher canon level than books or games.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
A lightsaber can cut through anything but there's a lot of factors regarding the construction of the saber and how proficient the person is with the force that can effect whether it will in a specific instance. IIRC [technobabble] regarding the user going with the flow of the blade/the crystal in it/whatever and that's why part of the formal training involves someone constructing their own when they're ready. Like even in the 90s EU comics there'd be instances where a lightsaber fails to cut a thing but it was always that the person sucked or some other thing was going down.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

The MSJ posted:

What is that? Some sort of net?

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
It's an 'executioner trooper', so I'd say it's some sort of laser axe.

But as we all know, axes beat lances, while swords beat axes.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Google image searching "lightsaber axe" is a sad time. Not even Disney can crack it

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Brilliant, they can just use the same mold as the other stormtrooper toys, add the poo poo-stupid space axe, paint one additional black stripe on his head and sell tens of thousands.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Optimus Prime and Megatron have had a laser axe and laser ball and chain since forever in the comics/cartoons for toy purposes.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

MrMojok posted:

Brilliant, they can just use the same mold as the other stormtrooper toys, add the poo poo-stupid space axe, paint one additional black stripe on his head and sell tens of thousands.

That one costs $230.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MrMojok posted:

That will be left hanging on the shelves, yeah.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Neo Rasa posted:

A lightsaber can cut through anything but there's a lot of factors regarding the construction of the saber and how proficient the person is with the force that can effect whether it will in a specific instance. IIRC [technobabble] regarding the user going with the flow of the blade/the crystal in it/whatever and that's why part of the formal training involves someone constructing their own when they're ready. Like even in the 90s EU comics there'd be instances where a lightsaber fails to cut a thing but it was always that the person sucked or some other thing was going down.

A lightsaber is a fancy blowtorch. There's nothing magical about them in the Lucas films.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Taintrunner posted:

That will be left hanging on the shelves, yeah.

https://www.sideshowtoy.com/collect...3xoCAasQAvD_BwE

Picard Day
Dec 18, 2004

Obviously lightsabers can't cut through electro rods wielded by noble warrior monkbots. The answer is not in some canon-hole. The simple truth is these bots are using the force.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

The MSJ posted:

Apparently it's a new thing he decided when making Clone Wars, which was at a higher canon level than books or games.

IIRC, there's an episode where Obi-Wan and Anakin are stuck in a cortosis cave, and it functions like Tymothy Zahn's retcon (it shorts out lightsabers, causing them to shut down on impact) instead of the original lightsaber-resistant material version.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

MonsieurChoc posted:

IIRC, there's an episode where Obi-Wan and Anakin are stuck in a cortosis cave, and it functions like Tymothy Zahn's retcon (it shorts out lightsabers, causing them to shut down on impact) instead of the original lightsaber-resistant material version.

There's a jedi who gets a cortosis blade and does that to Vader.

Then, just after she's finished gloating, he picks her up by the neck and breaks it.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Captain Splendid posted:

There's a jedi who gets a cortosis blade and does that to Vader.

Then, just after she's finished gloating, he picks her up by the neck and breaks it.

Her fancy new toy has blinded her to the power of The Force.

edit: Speaking of toy, this is apparently Snoke.

The MSJ fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Sep 28, 2017

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

The MSJ posted:

Well hopefully the lightsaber cuts through that stupid electric arc, through the handle, and loving vivisects the guy..

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 222 days!

Minnesota Manatee posted:

I'm expecting that the Han Solo movie is going to be about Solo going to Kessel to smuggle spice but finding out that it comes from wookiee slave/prisoner labor (as shown in Rebels). He thinks he can do the job without scruples but as in ANH his conscience wins out and he rescues Chewie and other wookiees, which is where the life debt came from. The finale will be the Kessel Run, Han smuggling out escaped slaves/prisoners. Because if Han Solo smuggled spice out of Kessel, unless it came from a non-Imperial mine, then that would mean that he probably profited off of wookiee slave labor. Edit: maybe he rationalizes that the wookiees are prisoners, enemies of the government, until he sees how they use children too (also seen in Rebels).

There is no such thing as ethical consumption under the Empire :colbert:

Anyhow, it would totally turn out that his famous record-breaking run was the linchpin of his plan to free the Wookiees.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

The MSJ posted:

is that the sexy choker that padme was wearing in AOTC?

ep 8 gonna be weird af

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Pretty weird we're getting this character the same year Hugh Hefner died.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

The MSJ posted:

Did they base him on David Carradine?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

The MSJ posted:

This kinda looks like Tilda Swinton's Ancient One from Doctor Strange. Except for the head, obviously.

• Locked thread