Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

"Hey, don't put capture a guy!"
...Well I've got to put something!
What kind/brand of flea and heartworm protection are you all using for your dogs?

Is there a specific monthly chewable out there someone can recommend me?

Dennis McClaren fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Sep 25, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Jose posted:

get rid of the sister in law first imo

right? wtf is your sister-in-law going out to vet dogs for you? you got rejected for a dog that you and your wife loved because your loving sister in law went to check him out? Does she live with you? why does she get to decide what dog you get??

bobby rehome your dog and get one you actually want, not what your sister in law wants

you didnt adopt this poor dog, your sister in law did. you were "outvoted"?? i assume this is the wife's sister. why is she so involved in your lives and your choices

you chose a perfect dog that both you and your wife wanted! and then your sister in law went to see it and suddenly you weren't suitable! :(

eating only apples fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Sep 26, 2017

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Dennis McClaren posted:

What kind/brand of flea and heartworm protection are you all using for your dogs?

Ask your vet

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

Observing this filth unsettles me

Warbird posted:

Whatever you do, DO NOT agree to dogsit a husky. Trust me.

It's me, I'm the lucky rear end in a top hat with a husky who is content with two walks down the road a day. My broken husky is great, a+. Did you get end up taking in fuckface?

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Dennis McClaren posted:

I just suggest challenging all the fleas to one on one combat

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Bobby Deluxe posted:

We saw a dog we loved at one of the smaller places, but the sister in law went to see it and we got a call saying that she didn't seem happy, so they didn't want to go ahead with it.
I tried to say something while we were looking at options before the adoption, but was outvoted. I tried to be OK with it, tried to be positive since it took us so long to get to that point, and it's hard to tell sometimes when my negativity is from anxiety, and when it's a genuine worry.
I feel like poo poo about it because he's here now, and if he has to go back it'll be very bad for him, my sister in law will be pissed, and my wife will be gutted. But I just don't like him, and I think he can tell.

I work from home currently because of anxiety and depression, so i'm the person he'll be around most.

Getting a dog is not a voting matter. Everyone in the household (or at least every adult) needs to be happy with the choice. A dog is a loooong-term decision which can be very stressful at times, and everyone who lives in your house needs to be one hundred percent okay with adding that dog to your family. Just like how you and your wife didn't outvote your sister-in-law when she was unhappy with a dog that the two of you loved, they shouldn't have outvoted you when you were unhappy with a dog the two of them loved. Stop worrying, put your foot down, and send the dog back. Yes, your wife and sister-in-law will probably be mildly annoyed, but you're talking about taking on over ten years of misery and resentment because you went along with something you weren't comfortable with because you were afraid to rock the boat. That's especially the case when you're already having anxiety and depression issues, neither of which are going to be improved by having an adolescent murderdog you hate which is eyeballing your other pets and terrifying basically everyone you come into contact with. I almost feel like your story belongs in E/N rather than PI, because at the heart of it, it's absolutely a relationship and lifestyle problem rather than an animal problem. Send the dog back.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Psychobabble! posted:

It's me, I'm the lucky rear end in a top hat with a husky who is content with two walks down the road a day. My broken husky is great, a+. Did you get end up taking in fuckface?

Still hangs out with his owners, my in laws. Apparently he has chilled out a bit these days and is provisionally allowed to visit for short amounts of time without me shooting him.

We're totally getting him when they have to go back overseas, I just know it.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Main Paineframe posted:

I almost feel like your story belongs in E/N rather than PI,
Probably. To clarify, wife & sister in law inherited the house, they co-own it, so if the dog is living here, sister in law has to be ok with it. She was only supposed to be going with us to make sure she was ok with our choice, but ended up choosing.

Broke ground talking to my wife about it last night anyway. I said I was having trouble with how much different he was to what we agreed in terms of size, energy, prey instinct and breed. I don't think she's taking me very seriously, so i'm going to have to try and approach it again later.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
You might need to put on your speak bluntly and honestly tone there guy.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Yeah, for real. Sit her down and tell her what's wrong. Don't try to be subtle about bringing it up, this needs to be addressed now.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

It has, but she had to go to work. Leaving any E/N considerations aside, at least it's said.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Bobby Deluxe posted:

It has, but she had to go to work. Leaving any E/N considerations aside, at least it's said.

Alrighty. Good luck when she gets back.

On my doggie note: Apollo still isn't perfect on the leash - he wanders and likes to stop and sniff and my god he wants those chickens - but he's WAY better at stopping and looking at me, and generally obeying when I say come or gently tug on the leash to indicate that I want to keep moving.

Also, he loves his new kong, and how we're feeding him half of his breakfast/dinner in it now - he eats a bit of food in the bowl, then has to work for the rest. And then he runs around with the kong, drops it so it'll bounce, chases it, and drops it by me so I'll throw it. :kimchi:

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
Does anyone have any suggestions for soft/wet high value treats? Currently I am just using a roll of wet dog food, that I break up into little baggies, but over time they crumble and turn to dust, its just a pain. I was wondering if anyone had any soft/wet treats they highly recommend.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
your dog wants steak.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Knifegrab posted:

Does anyone have any suggestions for soft/wet high value treats? Currently I am just using a roll of wet dog food, that I break up into little baggies, but over time they crumble and turn to dust, its just a pain. I was wondering if anyone had any soft/wet treats they highly recommend.

Hot dogs and chicken jerky broken into chunks.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
String cheese or plain chicken. We used to boil chicken but microwaving it dries it out a little bit which is nicer to carry in a baggie versus wet boiled chicken. String cheese is magic though, anytime he hears a piece of plastic crinkling he comes running and licking his lips. When he knows I have string cheese in my hand, he is literally a brainless zombie.

Watch out for hot dogs though. Although the amounts are small, most hot dogs contain onion and garlic for flavoring, both of which can be toxic to dogs. I know a lot of people feed hot dogs as occasional treats and their dogs are normal and healthy but they give my dog pretty serious diarrhea. It could have been the fat or that it was something new but they never agreed with him any time he had them.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Tsyni posted:

Hot dogs and chicken jerky broken into chunks.

Verman posted:

String cheese or plain chicken. We used to boil chicken but microwaving it dries it out a little bit which is nicer to carry in a baggie versus wet boiled chicken. String cheese is magic though, anytime he hears a piece of plastic crinkling he comes running and licking his lips. When he knows I have string cheese in my hand, he is literally a brainless zombie.

Watch out for hot dogs though. Although the amounts are small, most hot dogs contain onion and garlic for flavoring, both of which can be toxic to dogs. I know a lot of people feed hot dogs as occasional treats and their dogs are normal and healthy but they give my dog pretty serious diarrhea. It could have been the fat or that it was something new but they never agreed with him any time he had them.

Not wet really, but if you don't like the idea of giving hot dogs directly, try this one cool trick. Put a few hot dog slices in with a baggie of kibble or other small treat. Shake it all up and let that bitch sit for a bit. Then you can take the hot dogs out but the kibble or whatever is now all extra stinky like they like :getin:

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Super Grocery Kart posted:

Not wet really, but if you don't like the idea of giving hot dogs directly, try this one cool trick. Put a few hot dog slices in with a baggie of kibble or other small treat. Shake it all up and let that bitch sit for a bit. Then you can take the hot dogs out but the kibble or whatever is now all extra stinky like they like :getin:

My mouth is watering right now.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Super Grocery Kart posted:

My dog would figure this out very quickly and give you very disapproving looks.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Put Apollo into the hallway (in lieu of any rooms because there's nothing to break in there if he freaks out, and he often lies in there while I'm taking baths), gave him a rope toy and a pig's ear to chew on, and closed the doors and left him alone for ten minutes.

He barked, he whined, he did eventually go quiet, but oh my god he came out of there and reacted to me as if I'd died and come back from Heaven. He'd also dropped his pig's ear pretty quickly and began to bark, so... it's mostly intact and now nearly a full reward for surviving that.

Gonna repeat that again tomorrow for a bit longer, see how he handles it. Any general advice/warnings? I don't want to be doing something wrong that's obvious to another more experienced owner.

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010
Hey guys, quick question for y'all. My dog LOVES being scratched at the base of her tail and will seek tail scritches at all costs, even to the point of rubbing herself against furniture for MORE SCRITCHES. As a result, she's rubbed her skin off a few times, causing small sores..

At this point I've learned to be careful about scritching her too much, and I scold her for rubbing herself against furniture, but I wouldn't be surprised if she rubs her skin off again at some point (especially if I'm not there to watch her). I took her to the vet for her tail sores in the past, but the sores are small enough that a vet visit seems overkill (they're basically scrapes). Should I be putting anything on these sores, or just let them heal on their own?

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Viola the Mad posted:

Hey guys, quick question for y'all. My dog LOVES being scratched at the base of her tail and will seek tail scritches at all costs, even to the point of rubbing herself against furniture for MORE SCRITCHES. As a result, she's rubbed her skin off a few times, causing small sores..

At this point I've learned to be careful about scritching her too much, and I scold her for rubbing herself against furniture, but I wouldn't be surprised if she rubs her skin off again at some point (especially if I'm not there to watch her). I took her to the vet for her tail sores in the past, but the sores are small enough that a vet visit seems overkill (they're basically scrapes). Should I be putting anything on these sores, or just let them heal on their own?

Your dog has a hell allergy, go to the vet

Crooked Booty
Apr 2, 2009
arrr

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Your dog has a hell allergy, go to the vet
More specifically your dog has a flea allergy. Use something better for flea control.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

My puppy is a cute devil and I am mostly enjoying her. She listens pretty well, but I need to have treats available on me more often so I can distract her from say, someone walking by my yard or a spot that looks like a good digging opportunity.

Two problems - one treats are gross. Two, she knows when I have treats and acts like a little angel, sitting, laying down and looking at me with her cutest look. She can smell if I have them in a pocket of any kind. Any tips on keeping stealth treats on one's person? Do those cheesy treat sacks you put on a belt have an anti-smell component? Am I doomed to smell like freeze dried goat forever?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

I'm an idiot! :downs:

I put Apollo into the hallway for his temporary isolation, gave him a ropetoy and a kong full of his dinner, and left him there for ten minutes. Came back to a hall full of poo poo. Guess who forgot that oh, right, DUH he goes poo around this time so I usually feed him, wait half an hour and take him for a long walk.

So put him into stresstown instead and I got a mess to clean up.

Great. Okay. Next time don't do it at that time, or walk him first. Thank god for odor neutralizers.

On the plus side: he seems to get quiet around the nine or ten minute mark? Which is great! I want to get him in there for longer - I mean in several weeks when he's used to it - but yeah!

The other plus side is that I don't have to take him for a long walk now: instead of getting me tired too I took him for a quick hose-down to make sure he wouldn't track poo poo everywhere, then played fetch and he's sprawled out next to me resting now.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

StrixNebulosa posted:

I'm an idiot! :downs:

I put Apollo into the hallway for his temporary isolation, gave him a ropetoy and a kong full of his dinner, and left him there for ten minutes. Came back to a hall full of poo poo. Guess who forgot that oh, right, DUH he goes poo around this time so I usually feed him, wait half an hour and take him for a long walk.

So put him into stresstown instead and I got a mess to clean up.

Great. Okay. Next time don't do it at that time, or walk him first. Thank god for odor neutralizers.

On the plus side: he seems to get quiet around the nine or ten minute mark? Which is great! I want to get him in there for longer - I mean in several weeks when he's used to it - but yeah!

The other plus side is that I don't have to take him for a long walk now: instead of getting me tired too I took him for a quick hose-down to make sure he wouldn't track poo poo everywhere, then played fetch and he's sprawled out next to me resting now.

nah you seem like you are doing fine and not being a dipshit and blaming the dog. you just keep on being you and youll have a real good pal here in a bit

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

sneakyfrog posted:

nah you seem like you are doing fine and not being a dipshit and blaming the dog. you just keep on being you and youll have a real good pal here in a bit

Thanks! I just wish I could get to that point without the horrible, smelly messes.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

HungryMedusa posted:

My puppy is a cute devil and I am mostly enjoying her. She listens pretty well, but I need to have treats available on me more often so I can distract her from say, someone walking by my yard or a spot that looks like a good digging opportunity.

Two problems - one treats are gross. Two, she knows when I have treats and acts like a little angel, sitting, laying down and looking at me with her cutest look. She can smell if I have them in a pocket of any kind. Any tips on keeping stealth treats on one's person? Do those cheesy treat sacks you put on a belt have an anti-smell component? Am I doomed to smell like freeze dried goat forever?

Just get one of those small 2x3 or 2x4 ziplock bags to keep treats in. Something like this is what I used to keep my treats in:
https://www.amazon.com/Beadaholique...KFB9FG9HBCAQ801

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Just out of idle curiosity, do colds and other respiratory tract infections that impair a dog's sense of smell affect their behaviour sometimes? I just had a cold lately, thought about how much dogs rely on their noses, and started wondering.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Whelp, have an adoption pending on a pooch. Should have him in my life in about a week. Just waiting on my housemate to get her dog current on immunizations, and the pups gotta meet, but they're both super sweet and I forsee no problems between them.

Next week can't come soon enough. Here's the pupper in question. Name's Frankie/Sea Breeze which I think are dumb, so I'm def gonna train him to recognize a different name. Thinking Grognar Jr or Pretzel. Met him this past Sunday and fell in love with him. It's been like 17 years since I last had a dog, can't wait to give him all the love.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
feed the sister in law to the dog bobby. you can return it for having the taste for human flesh

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
After nearly a year of high rise life, me, my wife, and our two year old Basenji/Jack Russell mix Lacy have moved to paradise: a standalone rental house with a fenced backyard. Lacy is over the drat moon, and we're really happy that taking her outside no longer involves a long hallway and nine floors in an elevator.

However, after three days there, an issue has cropped up: Lacy is even more athletic than I thought! Apparently being 20 pounds was no impediment to her scaling the 4 foot chain link fence once she saw a rabbit on the other side. We were already planning on not leaving her outside unattended, but it'd still be bad form for her to pop into the neighbor's yard whenever she wants.

So, any suggestions on a good way to keep her inside the fence? We're working on training her of course, but the neighbors have dogs so that may not be enough. We can't do too much to modify the fence since we don't own the place, but I can run basic stuff by the landlord and the neighbors. I'm thinking of buying a foot wide strip of chicken wire and laying it on the ground near the fence to see if that will deter Lacy from dashing over there and jumping up. If that doesn't work, then I will see about adding an L fence to the top or seeing if the landlord would be okay with some coyote rollers. I just don't want the place to look like a prison yard. Do you think the chicken wire is worth trying, or should I go another route?

e. Didn't attach a picture, v. rude of me imo

shirts and skins fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Sep 29, 2017

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
I'm not an actual dog owner so this could easily be awful advice, but given that it's all going to be supervised anyways, would a long tether work? Something that'd give her full (or near enough) command of the yard without being so long that she can hop the fence. It's what my parents do, and outside the handful of times that Griffin (or Dodger before him) has decided to run around the one tree in the yard multiple times so we have to go and unwind him, it always worked without a hitch.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Depends on the landlord, the neighborhood and the neighbors but sometimes you can pay to put up a new fence and knock off the cost over the period of your lease.

I've got a friend who does her own repairs to the house she rents and gives her landlord the receipts for materials along with the balance on her rent. But that's something they worked out. If a new fence were $1,000, your landlord may be okay knocking off $100 a month for 10 months. Or maybe just splitting the cost with you? Or maybe they won't pay anything but will let you do it? It doesn't hurt to ask, everyone's different.

I think my dog could probably jump over a 6 foot fence if she really wanted too. I brought her hiking once and she was running ahead and jumped down a 6 foot waterfall, then couldn't figure out how to get back up to the top where we were so she just jumped straight up the middle. She hasn't tried jumping out of my mom's yard yet though.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

With our lab/golden mix the fence jumper, we went to home depot and bought 6' stakes and chicken wire and used that to "extend" the fence. It looked like pure crap but it worked. We took it down once the dog turned around 5 ish and chilled out.

Now I have the opposite problem with my puppy squeezing under the drat thing. I'm working on a solution, probably with chicken wire again. It isn't a big deal since we supervise her 99% of the time.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Fuuuuuuck. The pooch I thought I had adoption pending on? Turns out not to be the case. The lady who was handling my application never updated it with the shelter and now some other dude has him pending for adoption. They're literally doing a walk-through of his house today and a meet-n-greet with his dog. I can only hope he lives in a disgusting, unsafe hovel or that his dog hates the potential incoming pooch.

I'm so upset and heartbroken. I mean I'd love any dog really, but I was under the impression that I had a sweet little doggy locked in and built up expectations of having him in my house.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

dog nougat posted:

Fuuuuuuck. The pooch I thought I had adoption pending on? Turns out not to be the case. The lady who was handling my application never updated it with the shelter and now some other dude has him pending for adoption. They're literally doing a walk-through of his house today and a meet-n-greet with his dog. I can only hope he lives in a disgusting, unsafe hovel or that his dog hates the potential incoming pooch.

I'm so upset and heartbroken. I mean I'd love any dog really, but I was under the impression that I had a sweet little doggy locked in and built up expectations of having him in my house.

Oh no! I'm sorry. That is super frustrating. I hope the right dog finds you whether it's this one or the next one.

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
I am looking at this fence extender for my jumper.

http://store.purrfectfence.com/product-p/kitdogstr100pl.htm

So far he hasn't tried to jump over but he jumps really high next to the 4' fence and we do get a lot of snow here. If the jump is only 2-3' then I think he will go for it... he's the Border Collie/Lab in the picture.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

I'm back with another question about Apollo!

...What's the best way to teach him to drop things? He's decently good at dropping things he finds on his walks and his tennis balls, but trying to make him drop his toys while we're playing tug of war is basically impossible, and it's a bummer. I have to kind of distract or trick him to his the toy away when it's time to go inside and well, I don't like doing that.

Payment, and a picture of the toy in question:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

I taught my dog by having two identical toys and always making the one in my hand the more interesting one.