Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

admiraldennis
Jul 22, 2003

I am the stone that builder refused
I am the visual
The inspiration
That made lady sing the blues

alecm posted:

Thank you so much for this. I managed to find eight drives across two different Best Buys, all within the date ranges you mentioned and all red label Thai drives. Strangely, I saw no Chinese drives at all.

I found this PDF guide on a very straight forward way to open the case, and was able to do the first one in about 5 minutes. I couldn't find the original post to attribute credit, but it seems to have originated at the [H]ard forums. It's the most clear and concise breakdown of what to do I've seen. At the very least, it's better than watching some dude narrate his 15 minute struggle to open the case over the course of a YouTube video.

No problem! Glad it worked out for you.

That's a good shucking guide. I used full credit-card-sized-things to hit the tabs (I have a stack of old ones for stuff like this), and a thin + thick guitar pick (latter was actually from a toolkit) for the prying.

emocrat posted:

OK based on this post I just ran out and bought 2, both had the 08/26/2019 date and from Thailand. Best Buy says I got 15 days to return them, so I figured it also verify using the SMART thing you mentioned above before prying them open. So, since you offered pointers, can you briefly tell me how to do that? Is this with Crystaldisk or what? What info am I looking for? Thanks!

CrystalDiskInfo should be able to do this no problem - https://crystalmark.info/software/CrystalDiskInfo/index-e.html. Sometimes SMART over USB has driver requirements. If that doesn't show your model number, you may need to try installing a special driver.

FWIW, I did three with that warranty date - all Red label drives mfg 2017-06-18.

admiraldennis fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Sep 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

eightysixed posted:

I was going to use 2 disks for data and 2 disks for parity with unRAID. Is this a bad drive to do this with? y/n :shobon:

You could, but I see no reason to do so when you can get 8TB WD Reds for $180--grab two of them and now you've got the same capacity in a smaller, quieter footprint. The only downside would be if you were planning on doing a RAID 1+0 (or whatever the unRAID analogue is) to try to get more-than-single-disk performance.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.
Yeah, but I kind of want 2 disk parity regardless. And $720 is a lot of money when I know I really don't need that much space.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
8tb reds are $340 in the UK but they don't appear to sell the external version at all. I can't believe how cheap you're getting them :psyduck:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The My Book with the curved front seems to have sold out now and been replaced with a new design, no idea what's inside them:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Western-Digital-Desktop-Backup-Software/dp/B01LWVT81X/

Works out at $226 if you remove the VAT, it's not too far off.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Djarum posted:

Amen. I have no idea when it became the thing to make your computer look like a loving Daft Punk concert but man it looks embarrassing. I have had to go completely out of my way to find decent, well made, windowless cases for all my machines anymore.

And Jesus gently caress if I get one more thing with a blue LED that I can see from space I am going to lose it.

I usually just snip or put electric tape on LEDs now. I bought a kettle the other day and plugged it in. It had 2 blue ones. They're everywhere now.

quote:

Not to be a Seagate apologist, but it's worth noting that those terrible Seagates are generic desktop drives, while the WD's are all Reds.

Also the Backblaze workloads must be absolutely insane.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I give zero cares what my cases look like because they go in he closet, garage, or under my desk the way God intended.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

The Gunslinger posted:

Also the Backblaze workloads must be absolutely insane.
And with any storage reliability investigation you have to look at what “failure” is defined to be. Nearly every research paper I look at defines it differently and in sometimes arbitrary ways. “Failure rate” should really be “replacement rate” for a lot of the charts and tables I see since the former can be misleading. If “failure” aligns to your interpretation then great, but it doesn’t always.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

Thermopyle posted:

I give zero cares what my cases look like because they go in he closet, garage, or under my desk the way God intended.

Same here, as long as it is quiet, it's good.

Greatest Living Man
Jul 22, 2005

ask President Obama

IOwnCalculus posted:

Did you buy the motherboard and chassis together or separately? If you bought it as a complete system it should hopefully have whatever riser card is needed. Supermicro UIO boards are meant to fit their specific chassis, as opposed to the generic xATX form factor boards and chassis that they also manufacture.

And yes a board like that is absolutely designed to have a riser card plugged into it, generally without any PCIe switch logic needed.

On the drive controller front, since you don't mind used hardware, get a LSI controller instead. Dead reliable and extremely well supported.

It came with a riser. Now I just gotta grab an old monitor and ps2 keyboard.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

The Gunslinger posted:

I usually just snip or put electric tape on LEDs now. I bought a kettle the other day and plugged it in. It had 2 blue ones. They're everywhere now.

I got these stickers that will dim them to acceptable levels. I had to get them for my Surfboard since the LEDs on those are brighter than the sun. I dunno why everyone seems to use only the ultra bright LEDs, they have to cost more.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Greatest Living Man posted:

It came with a riser. Now I just gotta grab an old monitor and ps2 keyboard.

If it really is the -F version of the motherboard, it has a separate IPMI port that will let you use another computer as a keyboard / video / mouse over the network. You really only need a keyboard and monitor to get into BIOS the first time and reset the IPMI configuration.

I also guarantee you that board works with a USB keyboard.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
Anyone know on Synology why now and again I'll go to the admin page UI and it will just be dog slow + constantly pop up empty boxes with just an "OK" button?

like this:

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

Sniep posted:

Anyone know on Synology why now and again I'll go to the admin page UI and it will just be dog slow + constantly pop up empty boxes with just an "OK" button?

I've never seen the empty error message, but I've seen the interface and file transfers get ridiculously slow and wonky when a hard drive starts giving read errors. Maybe manually check all the smart information for your drives and see if anything is out of the ordinary.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Heads-up: Best Buy's eBay storefront has 8 TB EasyStores for $180 (limit two, can't place multiple orders), ebay is running a 15% off coupon (CPP15OFF) and also earn 8% eBay bucks on top of that. Final price for me was $324 shipped for two drives after tax.

Coupon probably won't last forever, those usually have a limited amount of promotional funds behind them, so don't dally. Bonus eBay bucks earn has to be activated and expires tonight.

You might also be able to use eBates or bonus credit card points to get another percent back.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Sep 29, 2017

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

That's less than half price of what we pay in £. Sigh.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Sniep posted:

like this:

Joke answer: don't worry, it's just saying everything is OK and wanted to say it.

(Is there a process explorer or something similar so you can see what might be causing that?)

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Paul MaudDib posted:

Heads-up: Best Buy's eBay storefront has 8 TB EasyStores for $180 (limit two, can't place multiple orders), ebay is running a 15% off coupon (CPP15OFF) and also earn 8% eBay bucks on top of that. Final price for me was $324 shipped for two drives after tax.

Both of these seemed to be dead for me when I tried them.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

DrDork posted:

Both of these seemed to be dead for me when I tried them.

8% ebay bucks is still active at a minimum (for the next half hour). You have to activate the bonus ebay bucks offer (usually there's a link on the front page if they're running it), but it's targeted so it's possible you didn't get it. In my experience, every time I see a meta post about it I've always been targeted, and I think they pretty much hit up everyone on their promo mailing list, but ymmv. There's enough places with ebay storefronts that ebay bucks promos end up being a decent way to get some deals and I consider them pretty much as good as cash (definitely beats mail-in rebates!).

As for the coupon, it's down, although rather than a "expired" it's a weird message about "coupon code is not active yet". The speculation is that they didn't mean to activate this at the same time as the eBay Bucks promo (I've never seen them do a discount AND an ebay bucks promo at the same time) but that it'll probably come back at a future date. A 15% up-front discount does beat 8% ebay bucks that you have to wait 1-3 months for, so you might want to hold on. Best Buy seems to have an absolute fuckload of these drives so I doubt it's going anywhere.

eBay's fees are ~10% so a 15% discount is actually costing them money and a 15+8% discount is throwing money away hand over fist...

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Paul MaudDib posted:

eBay's fees are ~10% so a 15% discount is actually costing them money and a 15+8% discount is throwing money away hand over fist...

It's even worse than that, since major retailers and whatnot undoubtedly are not paying the full 10% fee. Though I also suspect a large number of people never redeem their eBay Bucks, thanks to them expiring fairly quickly after they get issued (and eBay often not sending a reminder email to let you know they were issued in the first place).

I keep telling myself that I don't really need to replace my 8x2TB RAIDZ2 with a 3x8TB RAIDZ1 setup, but....

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Anyone buy these direct from BB Website before, which drives did you get?

Greatest Living Man
Jul 22, 2005

ask President Obama

IOwnCalculus posted:

If it really is the -F version of the motherboard, it has a separate IPMI port that will let you use another computer as a keyboard / video / mouse over the network. You really only need a keyboard and monitor to get into BIOS the first time and reset the IPMI configuration.

I also guarantee you that board works with a USB keyboard.

I'll try to configure this soon. I installed vSphere (ESXi) and am having lots of fun though. I think I can get a free license of most of this stuff through my engineering school.

e: definitely have to find a closet to put this thing in though. I'd run it to the basement but I'm worried it will get wet down there.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Dumb question: I moved, and when I reconnected my NAS (HPN40L running Freenas), I can connect to it via http and administer it, but windows explorer is asking for a username/password (and failing).

I'm accessing it via Windows 10, and I've changed the password and retried it, so it's not that. What am I missing?

Thanks, y'all.

Greatest Living Man
Jul 22, 2005

ask President Obama

I'll try to configure this soon. I installed vSphere (ESXi) and am having lots of fun though. I think I can get a free license of most of this stuff through my engineering school.

e: definitely have to find a closet to put this thing in though. I'd run it to the basement but I'm worried it will get wet down there.

I'm working towards having one VM running freeNAS handling my zfs pool, one running Windows server 2016 for Usenet services, and one running Ubuntu server for whatever else. I think the worst part is going to be dealing with SMB permissions; making sure windows can effectively write to the freeNAS vm. This is pretty cool so far though, I would recommend buying a cheap 2u from eBay for anyone who can hide it in a place where nobody can hear it. Much cheaper and more versatile than building your own NAS from new parts.

E: forgot to ask: Can I mirror my esxi install to safeguard against possible drive failure?

Greatest Living Man fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Oct 1, 2017

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
ESXi can be backed up (not really common to backup more than some small settings given it's intended to be lightweight and semi-dumb compared to vCenter) and while there's an HA configuration that will mostly just restart the same VMs on another ESXi host and the VMs need to be on shared storage for that to work, and that kind of setup is not happening for most people at home.

For home situations, I would give up on HA setups and focus on making it easier to setup something from scratch with minimal data loss either by doing backups (and testing them!) and try to keep your VMs on filesystems with some form of redundancy against drive failures or just expect to rebuild them in the event of a failure quickly.

I'm personally just going to put everything into containers, keep my container images as tarballs backed up with everything else, and run Kubernetes for everything basically.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
If you virtualized FreeNAS you have good options. You can create an NFS share, use ESXi to put a datastore on there, then back up all of your VMs to that datastore manually. Now all your VMs have whatever redundancy your other data does. You won't be able to backup your FreeNAS VM, but you can always backup to FreeNAS config and restore from that.

I personally have been a huge fan of taking literally any board with a good number of SATA ports and VT-d support and just using ESXi to passthrough the whole AHCI interface. Hook up a poo poo load of drives, run ESXi off a flash drive and go to town. Works way, way better than it should, and no need to buy an HBA. If you were worried about writes killing the flash drive there's nothing even stopping you from getting a cheap external SSD that connects via USB and putting ESXi on that.

If you do this ESXi will have to be hacked slightly to let you run a datastore on a USB drive, but it's no big deal and works great.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Steakandchips posted:

That's less than half price of what we pay in £. Sigh.

Hey but at least you have currency sovereignty and that's important!

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

:britain:

It also means every bit of computer tech has gotten much more expensive after the crash of the pound following the brexit disaster.

Greatest Living Man
Jul 22, 2005

ask President Obama

bobfather posted:

If you virtualized FreeNAS you have good options. You can create an NFS share, use ESXi to put a datastore on there, then back up all of your VMs to that datastore manually. Now all your VMs have whatever redundancy your other data does. You won't be able to backup your FreeNAS VM, but you can always backup to FreeNAS config and restore from that.

I personally have been a huge fan of taking literally any board with a good number of SATA ports and VT-d support and just using ESXi to passthrough the whole AHCI interface. Hook up a poo poo load of drives, run ESXi off a flash drive and go to town. Works way, way better than it should, and no need to buy an HBA. If you were worried about writes killing the flash drive there's nothing even stopping you from getting a cheap external SSD that connects via USB and putting ESXi on that.

If you do this ESXi will have to be hacked slightly to let you run a datastore on a USB drive, but it's no big deal and works great.

Can I use 2 flash drives mirrored for esxi?

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Can I use 2 flash drives mirrored for esxi?

ESXi can't do that, but FreeNAS can.

In fact, FreeNAS can virtualize Windows Server and Ubuntu just fine, all on its own. In your use case I don't see why you would want to run FreeNAS, Windows, and Ubuntu under ESXi.

I run FreeNAS under ESXi because I also virtualize pfSense. If I didn't have to worry about that, I'd just forego ESXi entirely.

If you want mirrored boot devices for ESXi you're looking at buying an SSD enclosure that supports RAID-1. They have 3.5" hard drive sized enclosures that fit 2x SSDs and can mount on the inside of your system, or they have external enclosures that hook up via USB. Both type start at $40-$50 for the enclosure.

Greatest Living Man
Jul 22, 2005

ask President Obama

bobfather posted:

In fact, FreeNAS can virtualize Windows Server and Ubuntu just fine, all on its own. In your use case I don't see why you would want to run FreeNAS, Windows, and Ubuntu under ESXi.

Is this FreeNAS 11's virtualization? Is it really just as good as ESXi?

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.
It's not precisely as good because the host OS isn't minimal, but it's more than ample for the average user.

Greatest Living Man
Jul 22, 2005

ask President Obama

G-Prime posted:

It's not precisely as good because the host OS isn't minimal, but it's more than ample for the average user.

I will check this out. Mostly I wanted a Windows VM to run Usenet automation programs. Plus the mirrored boot USB, and the ability to take snapshots of the VMs.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

I will check this out. Mostly I wanted a Windows VM to run Usenet automation programs. Plus the mirrored boot USB, and the ability to take snapshots of the VMs.

There aren't jails or dockers to do this with? Would be a lot less resources needed for them.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Is this FreeNAS 11's virtualization? Is it really just as good as ESXi?

It's about as good as Hyper-V, which is to say it's like 95% as good as a bare metal hypervisor like ESXi. Really all it lacks is the ability to pass through devices using VT-d, and supposedly FreeNAS will be enabling that sooner than later.

Also, all the major torrent and NZB softwares work great in FreeNAS jails, as does Plex.

Seems like your best bet is to just use FreeNAS + jails, and a single VM running Windows for whatever else you need.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,

Matt Zerella posted:

There aren't jails or dockers to do this with? Would be a lot less resources needed for them.

This.

FreeNAS 11 still has its old jail-based plugin system which you could run your various Usenet programs on. NZBGet, SABNZBD, Sonarr, Radarr, Couchpotato, etc. The overwhelming majority are there. 11 doesn't have Docker support (yet), but jails are hands down better from a performance perspective, because you don't have to spin up a VM and dedicate host OS resources to it to run the containers, and don't have to abstract the disks from the things writing to them.

If you really want to do a VM though, go for it.

Greatest Living Man
Jul 22, 2005

ask President Obama

G-Prime posted:

This.

FreeNAS 11 still has its old jail-based plugin system which you could run your various Usenet programs on. NZBGet, SABNZBD, Sonarr, Radarr, Couchpotato, etc. The overwhelming majority are there. 11 doesn't have Docker support (yet), but jails are hands down better from a performance perspective, because you don't have to spin up a VM and dedicate host OS resources to it to run the containers, and don't have to abstract the disks from the things writing to them.

If you really want to do a VM though, go for it.

Sure but most of these programs are optimized for Windows and hacked together using mono for freebsd support.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
I'd hardly call it hacked together when the official repo is built using Mono, and Microsoft actively contributes to Mono (and owns Xamarin). They work perfectly on other platforms. That's the entire point of Mono. It provides a common runtime environment that works cross-platform.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I'd rather hack together 10 different jails for my apps than try to run Windows Server under FreeNAS. Too many resources wasted with that route.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
I literally run Docker containers for all my Usenet related programs including Sonarr and Radarr that are .NET / Mono based with zero problems on a Linux host.