Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
I'm glad this is a slow burn, I'm only mid level 11 in a hardcore run, and I am not a speedy ascender.
The genie seems to be helping out a lot though, and is by far the best iotm I've donated for in years. Or at least the most useful in run.
Like, I understand why Standard came about, but man, after years of not playing regularly it's rough not having access to all my cool junk!

Also due to hearing the whole thing in the latest Loathing podcast, I was able to suss out the source.
Surprising and awesome!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_MTXX0-w2E

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007
Apparently West of Loathing is nominated for a thing:

Asym's Twitter posted:

Hahaha! Check out the last nominee for "PC Game of the Year" in this year's Golden Joystick Awards: http://www.gamesradar.com/goldenjoystickawards/

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

I just completed my second ascension! And I have a question.

What should I be doing with my ronin pulls? 'cause I feel like I'm at a loss and there's not exactly a lot of literature online about what Optimal Hagnks Strategy is. Probably grind a bunch of low-level food and booze before ascending and just pull that, I reckon?

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain

Pseudoscorpion posted:

What should I be doing with my ronin pulls? 'cause I feel like I'm at a loss and there's not exactly a lot of literature online about what Optimal Hagnks Strategy is. Probably grind a bunch of low-level food and booze before ascending and just pull that, I reckon?

you can also buy food/drink from the mall to store and pull. i dont play softcore so i don't know whats hip and cool to pull, but potential ideas: for food, boris/jarlsburg/sneaky pete/digital/star key lime pies are 4 fullness, level 6 awesome pies that help with getting tower keys but somewhat pricy. browser cookies are 4 fullness epic food with no level requirement buyable from the mall for ~8000 meat. hacked gibsons are 4 drunk epic drinks for about ~6000

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another

Pseudoscorpion posted:

If you use Mafia, the Guide script by Ezandora is incredibly handy for this. It has a section that lists recommended pulls. Depending on what restrictions you're under, food and drink is usually a good bet. Spleen items too. I use a lot of mine on quest stuff:

knob goblin harem girl outfit (you can yellow ray this also)
gravy boat to clear the cyrpt quicker
ninja snowman climbing gear for mclargehuge, and also 3 clovers for the ore part
Blackberry galoshes for black forest
surgery gear for pygmy hospital
wet stew for palindome
drum machine, killing jar for desert
possibly tomb ratchets for pyramid
faction gear for island war (or yellow ray)
clovers for orc chasm, or keepsake boxes if you're willing to pay
more clovers for A-Boo Peak
chaos butterfly for dooks, although this is maybe not worth it idk

And some potions and poo poo along the way to pass stat/ resist checks etc. I also usually always pull a ring of conflict, duonoculars, and monster bait to reduce/ increase encounter frequencey

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

Pseudoscorpion posted:

Before you ascend, stock shore trip scrip, something to pull and sell, and liquid meat to mallbuy stuff in-run.

Were I you, I would buy pretty good food, shore about 5-6 times, buy a volcano one-day pass*, goldmine (do some research on the optimal way to do this), and sell most of the gold you get. That should set you up nicely. Keep a few gold on hand to pull-and-sell in-run if you need to. I usually pull at least one a run.

(*: If you need seed money for this, let me know - same name in game.)

I'm not sure if this is actually allowed (haven't ascended since the genie came out), but you could prep a couple pocket wishes too. Wish to be a little bit taller or to be a baller or to have a rabbit in a hat with a bat, as according to your class, for an early stat boost.

As far as what stuff exactly to buy and pull, I'll either edit this post or reply when I'm less out-and-about on cellphone internet.

EDIT: Or you can just refer to above. Although the only reason to do the dooks is if you're going hippy for one of their medals or you want the six-quest frat medal. That aside, it's a waste of time.

sfwarlock fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Sep 23, 2017

Maha
Dec 29, 2006
sapere aude
Dipping back in after almost a decade, applied to the clan as Coghazard.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
Fastest ascension yet. :toot:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Lyle's updated. You can chisel messages (one for each stock cert you've earned, doesn't use them up) on the line, and you can spend 11 advs/day working on the line.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The entire lyrics to Was Not Was' "Walk the Dinosaur" has been engraved in the Line. (You can chisel 3473 more phrases.)

I think I have plenty.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Manuel Calavera posted:

The entire lyrics to Was Not Was' "Walk the Dinosaur" has been engraved in the Line. (You can chisel 3473 more phrases.)

I think I have plenty.

I hope passengers on the Line enjoy riding over the lyrics to "Is das nicht ein Schnitzelbank?"

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jet Jaguar posted:

I hope passengers on the Line enjoy riding over the lyrics to "Is das nicht ein Schnitzelbank?"

Haben sie gehort das Deutsche Band?
e - I added that song to the list too.

I wonder if someone has added the Bee movie script yet.

Mercedes Colomar fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Sep 27, 2017

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost
I hope that when you ride the monorail it displays all the engravings for 1/60th of a second each. Then you have to ride it back because there's only one monorail station, and you see them all again in reverse order.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

Jet Jaguar posted:

Goddamnit, now I have the Animaniacs' "International Friendship Song" in my head. In public.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

Getting back into the 4 day and under 1000 adventure ascension loop, even with only 3 usable IOTMs (Lovebugs, Meteors, Genie). Feels good. Should probably offload some of my billionish meat in sellable stuff and pick up some of the earlier ones from this year, but ehhh.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Uuuugghhhh the island quest is still mandatory :smithicide:

How do I do this poo poo in the fewest adventures on a hardcore run

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain

Walrus Pete posted:

Uuuugghhhh the island quest is still mandatory :smithicide:

How do I do this poo poo in the fewest adventures on a hardcore run

war is one of those ones where lots of iotms synergize in speeding it up :shrug: although its still pretty reasonable without that much. without knowing what you have access to, some general advice:

barring gimmicky pathed runs, frat boys is always faster. so get the normal hippie outfit from the hippy camp before the war (5% drop rate for either piece, either use a yellow ray or boost/collect from noncombats), then fight/yr frat solders on pre-war frat camp to get the frat war outfit
(disintegrate is a permable yellow ray skill that costs 150mp and has a 100 turn cooldown, and the skill item for it is <2m in the mall)

before actually fighting in the war at all, do the three frat sidequests:
- the arena is the easiest, just grab rock band flyers and use them in every combat. if you can hit level 12 before finishing most of the level 11 quest, you shouldn't need to spend extra adventures setting up guy made of bees or whatever to finish it
- for gremlins, try to banish the amc gremlin if you can, otherwise standard procedure
- lighthouse is either really easy or really hard, depending on what iotms you have available. if, for example, you have this month's genie, you can simply wish to fight lobsterfrogmen (you need to fight 5 total, so will need either multiple wishes or sources of copying). if you don't have anything to cheese it, boost +combat (musk of the moose, cantata of confrontation, reodorant)
- if you have copy mechanics, there's a trick to do nuns before fighting on the battlefield as well, by collecting almost all of the meat in a hippie war outfit before fighting the last brigand or two as a copy, while wearing the frat outfit (wishes can do this, among others). wishing "to be frosty" gives you an effect thats both 200% meat and 100% items to use for nuns/filthworms back to back

you need to beat 64 soldiers before orchard opens for the frat outfit (so 8 combats with 3 sidequests, or 4 with nuns). boost items/use yrs if you got them for the filthworms itself. (note: you can adventure here/collect the heart while not wearing a war uniform and simply turn the heart in when you can reach it in the frat uniform)

ducks is never worth doing if you're trying to minimize adventures because it either takes 25 or 50 turns to complete and can't be sped up in any way. if you have the thanksgarden garden item, 3 cashews can be traded for a stuffing fluffer, which can be used from inventory to blow up a bunch of soldiers at no turn cost.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
A few other notes:

- use 2 stuffing fluffers early to unlock the sidequests - the first one saves you 5 turns, then second one 4. After that it's not worth it, use your other cashews on the other turn-saving stuff instead.
- if you have Calculate the Universe, you can YR the frat from that and skip the hippy outfit entirely.
- if you don't have a YR, the frat boy spy in the hippy camp has a much higher drop rate (30%) on outfit pieces. Getting enough +item to cap that and then buffing +combat% can be a better way to get the outfit.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

Lining up the guy made of bees in the haunted bathroom isn't optimal usually, but instantly completes the flyer quest. If you also grab an antique hand mirror and have funkslinging, you can throw that on the same turn (flyers first!) and get a decent spleen item out of it.

If you don't have a YR, you can also purchase a spacegate emergency disintegrator from the mall for a millionish and learn a spell that costs 150MP to cast.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Honestly most of the sidequests aren't as tedious as I seem to remember. All I really have access to as far as speeding things up is YRs and banishes from the clip art tome, but I already got almost all the way through the quest today doing things porbably nowhere near optimally. Just have to finish with the flyers then I can end things. I think most of my angst about the Island quest stems from playing KoL daily, instead of once a week like I do now so I always have 200 adventures saved up :v:

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost
Dr. Gordon Stuart, a Scientist will convert any dirt or granite you find while working on the line into "Dust bunnies" and back again, for no as-yet-discernible reason.

e: people figured this out like two weeks ago, i've been busy OK

A HUNGRY MOUTH fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Sep 28, 2017

Jeff the Mediocre
Dec 30, 2013

Stupid question: if you ascend, does the genie bottle go back to being corked?

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
No, it's like deck of every card or li-11 voucher, consumed forever on use.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

Jeff the Mediocre posted:

Stupid question: if you ascend, does the genie bottle go back to being corked?

No, it's still opened. Pretty much every item released in the last three years is a consumable that gives you an untradable item, gone are the days of the box of bear arms and rain-doh that would fix themselves.

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
the policy with iotms nowadays is they're bind on use, but as a trade-off also usable in hardcore

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

New Item of the Month is up: xo-skelton!

Mr Store posted:

Nice! A powered exo-skeleton to help you fight the alien menace -- would be great, except this is not that at all. Instead it's the cutest little buddy who just wants to give you all sorts of hugs and kisses. Oh, and is also undead, forgot to mention that.

In addition to being super helpful in combat, your new best friend gives you the raw materials to make all sorts of things...

Food, spleen items, a quest item called a pearl necklace, probably some other stuff.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Sounds like this will be useful for when Lil Barrel Mimic rotates out.

uncertainty
Aug 8, 2011

It looks a bit disappointing. The items you can get from it are good but are so costly it takes an insane amount of turns to actually buy them.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
If there isn't something we're severely missing about x-o drop rates it's complete garbage. If there is then its niche usable for the bridge or maybe stat potion.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

Wow one fullness of awesome quality food for only 50 turns using this thing, wowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

From what I've used of it so far, it seems like an X/O every ~3.5-4 adventures? Doesn't seem that bad. Don't forget it gives every class a pickpocket some number of times a day, for what that's worth - I only started playing again a few months ago, so I've probably missed a bunch of powerful stuff, but this seems nice.

Speaking of, I'm sticking in aftercore for the first time since coming back thanks to the train stuff - any cool aftercore stuff I should do for powerful gear or neat familiars or whatever? The only charter I've got is the conspiracy island one, so I've been hanging around in the jungle to get to level 30, but I've been buying some tickets to do some of that stuff - anything else that's cool?

uncertainty
Aug 8, 2011

Trick Question posted:

From what I've used of it so far, it seems like an X/O every ~3.5-4 adventures? Doesn't seem that bad. Don't forget it gives every class a pickpocket some number of times a day, for what that's worth - I only started playing again a few months ago, so I've probably missed a bunch of powerful stuff, but this seems nice.

Speaking of, I'm sticking in aftercore for the first time since coming back thanks to the train stuff - any cool aftercore stuff I should do for powerful gear or neat familiars or whatever? The only charter I've got is the conspiracy island one, so I've been hanging around in the jungle to get to level 30, but I've been buying some tickets to do some of that stuff - anything else that's cool?

I am not sure about the pickpocket, but the other stuff does not compare that well to other available familiars.
If you look at the robortender, which sells for about the same price in the mall and which is generally seen as good for farming but not in run, he gives an epic drink every ~8 turns and can give a range of other effects, +item, +meat, +stats, combat damage. Comparing the skeleton to the others that came out and are a lot more expensive makes it look even weaker. There is of course still a good chance not all features have been discovered so I do not want to be too strong in my dismissal yet.

There are several things to do in aftercore that are fun, good, or a combination. It depends a bit on your goals though.

Some options:
- The sea, lots of good aftercore gear, skills, + extra karma. Takes a bit of an upfront investment where it is costly & takes long first few times but gets much faster and easier along the way
- Bounties by the bounty-hunter. Olfaction is an amazing if not the best skill in the game, takes a looooong time to get
- I enjoy the questline from agua de vida bottles but that could be idiosyncratic, gives an item for each class
- cheap & somewhat fun are "drink me" potions they eventually lead to a familiar item that causes your familiar to give you random buffs

The two ways I mostly go about "discovering" new things are:
-Advanced search in the mall allows you to specify content unlockers as a category, and I just buy random things and try them out.
- BCC snapshot creates a snapshot of your (or anyone's) profile and includes a lot of collectibles, I just click around in it to see things that look like fun / things that I would like to have.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

The pickpocket seems to be a forced drop, basically a rave steal.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

uncertainty posted:

I am not sure about the pickpocket, but the other stuff does not compare that well to other available familiars.
If you look at the robortender, which sells for about the same price in the mall and which is generally seen as good for farming but not in run, he gives an epic drink every ~8 turns and can give a range of other effects, +item, +meat, +stats, combat damage. Comparing the skeleton to the others that came out and are a lot more expensive makes it look even weaker. There is of course still a good chance not all features have been discovered so I do not want to be too strong in my dismissal yet.

There are several things to do in aftercore that are fun, good, or a combination. It depends a bit on your goals though.

Some options:
- The sea, lots of good aftercore gear, skills, + extra karma. Takes a bit of an upfront investment where it is costly & takes long first few times but gets much faster and easier along the way
- Bounties by the bounty-hunter. Olfaction is an amazing if not the best skill in the game, takes a looooong time to get
- I enjoy the questline from agua de vida bottles but that could be idiosyncratic, gives an item for each class
- cheap & somewhat fun are "drink me" potions they eventually lead to a familiar item that causes your familiar to give you random buffs

The two ways I mostly go about "discovering" new things are:
-Advanced search in the mall allows you to specify content unlockers as a category, and I just buy random things and try them out.
- BCC snapshot creates a snapshot of your (or anyone's) profile and includes a lot of collectibles, I just click around in it to see things that look like fun / things that I would like to have.

BCC snapshot seems helpful, thanks for the advice!

uncertainty
Aug 8, 2011

E: Machine is all empty, thanks for your help!

Do we have any lvl 15+ AT that would be willing to step into the machine in dread for me? If you don't know what that entails but would like to help me out, I can explain more.

I am happy to compensate for your time in meat / food & booze or other cool things.

uncertainty fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Oct 5, 2017

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain

the skeletons ok, i guess :shrug:

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

certainly nice for the filthworms and a couple other forceable drops but it's a whooooooooole lot of combats for half a bridge and some mediocre foods/muscle stat boosters

as someone who doesn't have a usable fairy IOTM from the last two years and has been relying on a slimeling he's nice, but I'd rather just keep using my fairy worn boots if I could

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Applied to The Protected as Big Mad Drongo.

Played this game for a while before ascension came out, and man things are different. I apparently had a decently leveled character from a few years ago, so looking forward to playing with all this new stuff.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Slowly getting faster. :toot:

Have the full wrought iron set now.

Think I'm just gonna do a casual run now and check out things I haven't seen in years, or at all!
Then maybe try to finish up my brimstone outfit before Crimbo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uncertainty
Aug 8, 2011

I am trying to do a semi-structured but still casual dread run, if you are interested and not on discord, message me in game (brainsquig).