Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
A Feast for Odin is on sale for $60

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/p/231083

s'pretty great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Bottom Liner posted:

s'pretty great

I often disagree with thread suggestions but A Feast For Odin is really as good as everyone always says it is, and it's staggeringly easy to turn the solitaire game mode into 2-player co-op if that appeals to anyone.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.
Definitely want to jump on the 'endorsing Feast for Odin' bandwagon - It's a killer game. My favourite of 2016, by a fair whack.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
Stop! I can't justify more purchases due to Gen Con! Please...wont someone think of the wallets?

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

For dexterity games, I can heartily recommend Click Clack Lumberjack, in what ever title/configuration you can find it. It seems to work well at any level of sobriety. Rhino Hero looks great, and they just came out with a larger version called Rhino Hero Super Batlle that looks a bit crazier.

If you want one that definitely shouldn't be taken too seriously, I like Cube Quest. You get a bunch of plastic cubes to be your soldiers, some mats made of mousepad material to be your battlefield, and you start flicking. Cubes are harder to flick properly than discs.

For those interested in Junk Art, there's also a plastic version for a lot cheaper. apparently it's nice solid resin, that some people are liking better than the wood.

I'm 80% of the way through building my own rough approximation of a Crokinole board, will post pics when it's finished.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

So I got archipelago today and the open sea tile isn't on the opposite of the desert tile. Is this a misprint?

lockdar
Jul 7, 2008

Chill la Chill posted:

So I got archipelago today and the open sea tile isn't on the opposite of the desert tile. Is this a misprint?

Nope, I have that aswell. Seems they didn't do that for some reason...

kinkouin
Nov 7, 2014

Skypie posted:

Stop! I can't justify more purchases due to Gen Con! Please...wont someone think of the wallets?

You got a few months to save up still...

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Bottom Liner posted:

s'pretty great

Jesus. Okay, how's it play solo? How much variance is there from game to game?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Ragnar34 posted:

Jesus. Okay, how's it play solo? How much variance is there from game to game?

It plays well. Starting occupations make it more variable than Caverna. People also create solo scenarios for score attack challenges, with rules and restrictions like "You must perform seven emigrations" or "You must build two longhouses and you may not put food goods in them".

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
There's a pretty big discount on Rattle, Battle, Grab The Loot on CoolStuffInc as well, anyone have experience with that?

terebikun
May 27, 2016
Alright, I paid for a copy of Seafall and by god I am going to loving play it. Any advice? Best number of players, what kind of mindset everyone should have going in, any rules stuff to watch out for, etc?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

terebikun posted:

Alright, I paid for a copy of Seafall and by god I am going to loving play it. Any advice? Best number of players,

Zero.

terebikun
May 27, 2016

zing noted

Is Subbuteo the soccer/tops game that Brin sets up for the "lads" in an episode of Gavin and Stacey?

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Goons, I need recommendations. Looking to get another Worker Placement, already have Archipelago and Agricola. What should I get next? Looking at Dungeon Petz or Viticulture, but am open to other suggestions.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

MikeCrotch posted:

Goons, I need recommendations. Looking to get another Worker Placement, already have Archipelago and Agricola. What should I get next? Looking at Dungeon Petz or Viticulture, but am open to other suggestions.
Dungeooooon Peeeeetz. Or Viticulture. They are both good.

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

MikeCrotch posted:

Caylus.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese
That feeling when you are getting AP over buying a boardgame

feeling pretty meta over here

Tried Caylus before - I quite like it but I think it would be a tough sell with my group, since it has a bad case of the "I have no idea what i'm doing" when you first sit down and play it.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese
One more question: is Sushi Go Party worth the extra :10bux: over plain Sushi Go?

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

MikeCrotch posted:

One more question: is Sushi Go Party worth the extra :10bux: over plain Sushi Go?

Yes, absolutely. Includes 3x as much stuff as the base game and drastically extends it's life while also expanding the possible playercount

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

MikeCrotch posted:

It's got a lot more replay value and variety, and is better outside of a few very niche situations (like if the price or box size really matters).

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

MikeCrotch posted:

That feeling when you are getting AP over buying a boardgame

feeling pretty meta over here

Tried Caylus before - I quite like it but I think it would be a tough sell with my group, since it has a bad case of the "I have no idea what i'm doing" when you first sit down and play it.

Caverna could work for that situation, everything is upfront and accessible in that game.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
Yeah Sushi go party is tons better.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Chill la Chill posted:

Technically yes but every copy got misprinted the same way and the designer's cool with it.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Sushi go party even contains all the original game's cards so you aren't missing anything.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

The only circumstance in which I'd hand someone a copy of Sushi Go! instead of the Party! version is if that person and the entire playgroup is extremely new to gaming generally, and if you're not going to be sitting right there to teach.

(I've seen people for whom the Chopsticks! card was too heavy and complicated)

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

MikeCrotch posted:

Absolutely, there is literally no reason to buy Sushi Go instead of Party, and Sushi Go Party is an amazingly fun little game

MikeCrotch posted:

Viticulture with Tuscany, orrrrrr

Bottom Liner posted:

s'pretty great

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Anyone have a good recommendation for an RPG in a box for 4-5 players? Maybe a little on the easier side, have a group of 3-4 experienced players trying to find something to ease someone into it. I'm already playing Gloomhaven. Was thinking of maybe Mice and Mystics?

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

Nephzinho posted:

Anyone have a good recommendation for an RPG in a box for 4-5 players? Maybe a little on the easier side, have a group of 3-4 experienced players trying to find something to ease someone into it. I'm already playing Gloomhaven. Was thinking of maybe Mice and Mystics?

Mice & Mystics is pretty simple and repetitive, wouldn't recommend. Descent 2e or Mansions of Madness 2e with the app, maybe? Are you looking for an actual RPG or a game that resembles RPG combat?

Kashuno posted:

Viticulture with Tuscany, orrrrrr

AFFO is not on sale on Amazon and I have vouchers to burn, alas

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

MikeCrotch posted:

Mice & Mystics is pretty simple and repetitive, wouldn't recommend. Descent 2e or Mansions of Madness 2e with the app, maybe? Are you looking for an actual RPG or a game that resembles RPG combat?

AFFO is not on sale on Amazon and I have vouchers to burn, alas

Simple and repetitive is kind of why I was leaning towards it, the person we're trying to engage hasn't played anything more complicated than Pandemic or Carcassonne. Going full RPG probably would be a hard sell, was thinking a board game that was just a prepackaged RPG (a la Gloomhaven) would be a good half-measure. I mean, maybe I just get another copy of Gloomhaven and deal with being a backseat player in my own copy as the other one I'm playing will likely far, far outpace it. For people far along in Gloomhaven, does knowing what is coming have significant impact for actions you might take?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Nephzinho posted:

Nephzinho posted:

Simple and repetitive is kind of why I was leaning towards it, the person we're trying to engage hasn't played anything more complicated than Pandemic or Carcassonne. Going full RPG probably would be a hard sell, was thinking a board game that was just a prepackaged RPG (a la Gloomhaven) would be a good half-measure. I mean, maybe I just get another copy of Gloomhaven and deal with being a backseat player in my own copy as the other one I'm playing will likely far, far outpace it. For people far along in Gloomhaven, does knowing what is coming have significant impact for actions you might take?

I don't want to get too repetitive in this thread since I've posted about this before recently, but I've been having a lot of success getting RPG newbies in my friend circle to try Descent 2nd Edition with the app. Everything is very clear and easy to understand and accessible with elves and dwarves and little plastic figurines for all the monsters, and the base game has everything you need to play -- literally an RPG in a box, and everyone who's played it has enjoyed it, whether utterly new to RPG's or diehard board game geeks. I've only had one failure and that was a friend's girlfriend who just hates all RPG's, apparently because an ex boyfriend made her paint all his miniatures.

I tried to get the same group of people to try Gloomhaven and they bounced off it hard ("wtf is a Cragheart?"). I'm still hopeful they'll try Gloomhaven after i've used Descent to prep them for the concept of the tabletop RPG.

Downsides of Descent are of course that it's relatively expensive, designed to sell you more expansions (selling all the boss monster figurines separately is particularly egregious), and you need a tablet or laptop or PC to run the app (technically it runs on a phone but the screen is too small to play well).

Caps out at 4 players fully co-op with the app, 5 players if one person is playing Overlord (i.e., playing the monsters in opposition to the other four players, which some groups might not work with well).

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Sep 28, 2017

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I don't want to get too repetitive in this thread since I've posted about this before recently, but I've been having a lot of success getting RPG newbies in my friend circle to try Descent 2nd Edition with the app. Everything is very clear and easy to understand and accessible with elves and dwarves and little plastic figurines for all the monsters, and the base game has everything you need to play -- literally an RPG in a box, and everyone who's played it has enjoyed it, whether utterly new to RPG's or diehard board game geeks. I've only had one failure and that was a friend's girlfriend who just hates all RPG's, apparently because an ex boyfriend made her paint all his miniatures.

I tried to get the same group of people to try Gloomhaven and they bounced off it hard ("wtf is a Cragheart?"). I'm still hopeful they'll try Gloomhaven after i've used Descent to prep them for the concept of the tabletop RPG.

Downsides of Descent are of course that it's relatively expensive, designed to sell you more expansions (selling all the boss monster figurines separately is particularly egregious), and you need a tablet or laptop or PC to run the app (technically it runs on a phone but the screen is too small to play well).

Caps out at 4 players fully co-op with the app, 5 players if one person is playing Overlord (i.e., playing the monsters in opposition to the other four players, which some groups might not work with well).

This is kind of a great endorsement for Descent, I think we'll give it a shot as babby's first RPG.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Why is the cragheart such a thing? You don't have to pick him

If you're in the UK I'll sell you my copy of Descent 2e

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Gort posted:

Why is the cragheart such a thing? You don't have to pick him

I dunno, honestly. I was just showing my wife the Gloomhaven website and she pointed and was like "wtf is that" then "yeah that's too much for me." I don't really understand it either.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
My Essen preorders if anyone is interested. Click on preorders as a filter. I'd love to see others' preorders as well if you have them.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

If you want a fuller RPG experience that's still streamlined and comes in a nice colorful box I'm pretty sure you can still find 4E Gamma World online. Character creation takes like four minutes, the powers are fun to use, and the wacky post-apocalypse setting is broad enough that you can flavor it pretty much however you want (I ran a pretty memorable/fun one-shot of GW with a light Adventure Time re-theme for a bunch of nerd friends of mine once).

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Nephzinho posted:

This is kind of a great endorsement for Descent, I think we'll give it a shot as babby's first RPG.

I should also probably warn that the app is kindof clunky. The game wasn't originally designed for app play so you have to do a lot of things like track monster health by hand yourself and then tell the app what happens, and you frequently get situations where you have to make a good faith decision for the app (i.e., app says "attack closest hero" and two heroes are equidistant, but one has one health and the other is at full, you gotta do the needful).

I've made a bunch of other posts about Descent in the thread recently so just click my post history button to the left and you'll see my comments in more detail. There are probably other just-as-good-or-better games out there depending on what you want, but our folks have had a lot of fun with it.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Lorini posted:

My Essen preorders if anyone is interested. Click on preorders as a filter. I'd love to see others' preorders as well if you have them.

Agra is cool as heck, did an hour demo at Gencon. Love the pray mechanic and paying off other peoples workers if you want their spot. It is an instabuy for me when it comes to U.S.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

terebikun posted:

Is Subbuteo the soccer/tops game that Brin sets up for the "lads" in an episode of Gavin and Stacey?

No idea. Here's a recent international tournament:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6XUus3z4sw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Nephzinho posted:

Not really? I mean if you've only played through once you might want to take the other side of scenario branching paths just to see what happens, but in my experience, there isn't a "correct" or "better" choice, it's just different. The only time I could see foreknowledge being an advantage is with event cards, but that's pretty minor. There's a lot of those so even with a lot a plays you don't see that many repeats and you could always simply let the other players decide if you think you might be biased because you know the outcomes.

Also you don't need another copy. I'm playing 3 different parties with mine (solo, local club members and friends) and it works fine.