Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Twin Peaks: The Return - This is, excuse me, a drat kaworu blog!

Also the boxset is still in stock at Amazon UK, and it's region-free: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0186WS596/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1506514715&sr=8-2&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!

And More posted:

Last night, I dreamed that Cooper returned Laura to James and Donna. They were still young like in the original series, but Laura's face was all blue like she was slowly suffocating.

Twin Peaks dreams have just been a fact of life for me for the past 6 years of my life, since I first saw the show. Lately I've been having dreams about what happens after season 3. It's nice to know I'm not the only weirdo!

"I HAD ANOTHER TWIN PEAKS DREAM!"

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I haven't seen much analysis or discussion of the Monica Bellucci scene, which seems odd. Seems like it could be a keystone for understanding the ending.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
i dreamed about maid cosplay

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Escobarbarian posted:

Also the boxset is still in stock at Amazon UK, and it's region-free: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0186WS596/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1506514715&sr=8-2&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65

Not only is the UK version cheap, it has the bonus 10th disc that only the deluxe US version had.

Also worth mentioning that The Entire Mystery has the exact same 4K remaster of Fire Walk with Me as the upcoming Criterion edition, plus most of the extras.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Escobarbarian posted:

And yet you've made 100 more posts than me in this thread!

Actually, wait.. Considering my median post length is.... er, maybe several thousand characters higher than yours and probably everyone else in the thread, my *only* having the 4th most posts is, er, a bit frightening probably :eng99:

And thanks for the rec on the UK/international one, I can also get a new one with free shipping for $40 on eBay so that's cool too. I presume it's a bit more bare-bones in its packaging and doesn't have stuff like the compartment with the 'Fire Walk with Me' note, but that's OK if that happens to be the case...

I was at my local music/movie/games shop, and they have like FOUR limited editions vinyl releases from Angelo Badalamenti, and goddammit but I kinda want them all ESPECIALLY if even just the season 3 OST is actually SIGNED by him. But it's quite cool, there are also these remastered 180-gram limited edition releases they did like.. Last year, I think, of both the original Twin Peaks season 1 OST, and of the FWWM OST - the latter on coffee-colored vinyl, the former on cherry-pie-colored vinyl, heh. I mostly want the FWWM one because that's probably my favorite musical work that Angelo ever did. Just legendary, especially "Theme to Fire Walk With Me" and "The Pink Room". I kinda want it just to throw a party and blast 'The Pink Room at deafening volume on repeat.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

kaworu posted:

And thanks for the rec on the UK/international one, I can also get a new one with free shipping for $40 on eBay so that's cool too. I presume it's a bit more bare-bones in its packaging and doesn't have stuff like the compartment with the 'Fire Walk with Me' note, but that's OK if that happens to be the case...

Yes, it's the simple plastic box. Still a super nice set and the discs are the same but it has none of the fancy artsy packaging.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, unfortunately that was only the original run :( (I have that one though, it's awesome but definitely not necessary)

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
https://twitter.com/dalecooperback/status/912316876751085568

😳😳😳

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Origami Dali posted:

oh cool, my copy of Twin Peaks ost on vinyl came in

hey, what's this?

oh... a print of the cover signed by angelo badalamenti... :stare:

... word..

In the first picture her face looks chubby like those bedsheets

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

:eyepop: :eyepop: :eyepop:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

:stare:

quadpus
May 15, 2004

aaag sheets
Huuhh wow. My girlfriend told me the same thing. I thought she was talking about the guy from LOST and told her she was wrong. oooooops

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Not only that, Carrie is played by the same actor that plays Laura but they're in different dimensions as well

quadpus
May 15, 2004

aaag sheets

https://www.reddit.com/r/twinpeaks/comments/7274yu/all_final_update_infographic_of_places_portals/dnit0m5/

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Huh. Is the corpse given a name in the credits? I suppose not, but you never know.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

moist turtleneck posted:

Not only that, Carrie is played by the same actor that plays Laura but they're in different dimensions as well

Whaaaaa??

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

CJacobs posted:

Huh. Is the corpse given a name in the credits? I suppose not, but you never know.

Nope, I just checked. Also, aside from the dead body, there are three other people in Odessa who don't show up in the credits: the old man, the old woman, and the cook who all witness what happens at Judy's diner.

None of them look familiar to me, but then again neither did the dead guy until now.

Lester Shy fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Sep 27, 2017

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

I love that this is one step above pepe sylvia for comprehensibility if you take out the text blocks

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

The Walrus posted:

I love that this is one step above pepe sylvia for comprehensibility if you take out the text blocks

I GOT BOXES FULLA CHERRY PIE!

MonoAus
Nov 5, 2012
I personally like the fire/SEX symbol.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

kaworu posted:

These are all consistent locations that my dreams are always set in... I often wonder whether other people have dreams with semi-defined geography?

That sounds kind of fun. My dreams are really inconsistent, place-wise. Sometimes, when I'm half-awake, I can continue a dream I had the night before. That's always interesting.

kaworu posted:

Well, I'm honestly just really hoping they release some super limited edition collection of seasons 1-3 plus FWWM + Missing Pieves plus every single extra and documentary produced.

The books, I can do without, but all that stuff in a single box? Yeah, that would own.

Cephas posted:

Twin Peaks dreams have just been a fact of life for me for the past 6 years of my life, since I first saw the show. Lately I've been having dreams about what happens after season 3. It's nice to know I'm not the only weirdo!

"I HAD ANOTHER TWIN PEAKS DREAM!"

This is my first one, actually. Good stuff, though. Wouldn't mind having some more.

Lester Shy posted:

Nope, I just checked. Also, aside from the dead body, there are three other people in Odessa who don't show up in the credits: the old man, the old woman, and the cook who all witness what happens at Judy's diner.

None of them look familiar to me, but then again neither did the dead guy until now.

It's kind of a revelation, but it would be such a pain in the rear end to look for old men in the background of this show. There are just too many of them.

The Walrus posted:

I've seen the season twice, and I don't really understand what's happening on that map.

edit: Oh yeah, it seemed to me like the Jumping Man makes noises that sound like a sped up tape when he comes down the stairs. So, I slowed the clip down. Still sounds like speech to me, but I can't understand it. Is it maybe Sarah calling for "Laura"?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBX5nXxA9cs

And More fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Sep 28, 2017

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Alan_Shore posted:

There is not enough information to decode anything about Audrey's story so its futile even trying.

Its just clearly thematically setting everyone up for "Hey this show isn't going to end as your Twin Peaks"
She is confused in what her role in the world is suppose to be, eventually returns to herself with Audrey's dance, but awakes from the dream because this isn't that show anymore.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...
So, there has already been a ton of writing and I don't want to repeat too much, so just a smattering of my thoughts below based on watching everything over a couple weeks after airing:

• Boo to no more "Invitation to Love" and the original Sheriff Truman not being there.

• Maybe it's because I binge-watched it after the whole series came out, meaning I always had a new episode to watch immediately, but I thought the Dougie Jones stuff was amazing and I couldn't get enough of it.

• It certainly flowed more like a film, to the degree that you can kind of tell the musical interlude is like dividing chapters of the story, which is why there are a couple points where a band doesn't play for the credits.

• I felt less confused about the ending and how I felt about it than many others. I don't know how much of this was the fact that Episodes like 1 and 8 were still very fresh in my mind, and how much is just my expectation of what Lynch is going to provide to me, and I actually anticipated a dark conclusion that left things hanging.

• On that note, the more I think about it, the more I feel like the theories surrounding dream logic and/or it all being a commentary on Twin Peaks as a show fits more and the popular "time-travel/Laura is a bomb" type theories fit less. Too many weird things like Candy's behaviour, the numerous references to the real world, and of course Lynch's interests in his previous works. Also, even discounting the pin and obvious stuff like Audrey clearly being stuck in some kind of weird nightmarish loop, the fact that things don't fit chronologically (i.e. Dougie is hanging with the Michum brothers, then playing ball with his son, then it seems like the exact same evening with the Michums), there are too many obvious signs that something else is going on (i.e. Sometimes the establishing shot of the roadhouse bar is the sign out front, sometimes it is a reflection of it in a puddle, whereas the establishing shot of the Sherriff's Office is always the same).

• I kinda regret not watching it week to week in hindsight. Don't watch shows like Game of Thrones or The Walking Dead, so I feel like I missed my rare chance of being able to join in on a watercooler conversation where we are all excited and curious. Although it was entertaining to read old conversations where people guessed what would happen next in the series and got it all wrong.

• I wonder if that creepy, gross drunk guy in the cell was a doppleganger that went wrong. He was repeating everything being said, Dougie-style.

• With how much this tied into weird asides from the original series and FWWM, and even re-used footage so that they made more sense in this new context, I'm curious how much of this Lynch and Frost came up with now and how much of this was maybe a version of how they originally planned to end the series had it gone for multiple seasons, with the required changes due to time passing (i.e. The new season of Twin Peaks is like the new season of Gilmore Girls!). The fact that the new season needed a "Sheriff Truman" despite the actor not coming back and other significant attachments suggest this might have been Lynch's plan all along. But then again, it's just as plausible that Lynch had a new story and Twin Peaks was the vessel where he could get his 18-hour story funded.

• I definitely get the feeling that at least part of the show is mocking the trend of nostalgia television as a whole, whether intentional or not. Dougie was basically a stripped-down version of how ridiculously intuitive Cooper was. The show basically starting with someone staring at an empty box. The original stars of the show are now old and it's the younger generation telling their stories and replacing them with interesting drama. The bits about the original cast that are there - most of those characters have changed so much in time passing, they aren't recognizable as their current selves (Bobby is an understated police officer, Dr. Jacoby is a raving Alex Jones-style lunatic). The boss obsessed with his time as a young boxer, several instances of characters being stuck in a lobotomized state re-watching the same content over and over again, watching something we just saw in the context of the show, re-shown on a screen inside the show being watched by other characters. You get the gist. It feeds right into my interpretation of everything being about people not being able to let go of the past. (Maybe taking Laura back at the end to remember her horrible past is a bad thing?)

kuddles fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Sep 28, 2017

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Fantastic A+ post - I've really been wanting to read a detailed reaction from someone who watched the whole thing at once, and it's fascinating to hear. I think you're totally right that the musical acts are more like actual chapter markers than when the episode starts or stops... Like it feels as if the beginning of Episode sort of had the end of Episode 7 tacked onto its beginning, since frankly the Ray/Cooper confrontation followed by the NIN song ending with credits, then a WHOOSH and then Cooper sits up, suddenly revived at the very end - cut to black. Next episode begins with the 1945 date/location card and the blast set to Threnody. That would have made more sense than what we got frankly, with Ray and Cooper driving off into the night being the end of episode 7 instead. and then the part I just described being the intro for episode 8.

But like, all that said I still really like the way it worked out, with the Woodsmen and their ritual starting off the episode followed by The Nine Inch Nails (still my favorite out of all the performances within the context of the episode maybe). It makes the episode feel a little more disjointed, but it also contextualizes episode 8 within the show a little bit more, which is nice in a way.

Another thing, does anyone else think that Lynch looks like he is having an absolute blast popping up everywhere and "answering questions" about Season 3 and a possible season 4, and so on? I honestly cannot remember him EVER making this many public appearances or doing this many Q&As and interviews and actually seeming to really enjoy it. Well, certainly not about anything dealing with his film work and he certainly never wanted to talk much about TP publicly in the past.

Anyway, I just view it as an encouraging sign that he keeps doing these events/interviews where he knows he'll get asked about a possible season 4 every time and he seems to give some slightly different teasingly ambiguous answer each time. The last one I saw, he said "Well, if we do make one it won't be for a few years, this one took 4 whole years to get done y'know!" That's definitely not a denial.

What the people close to him seem to say is that it's really all about how much fun he has or how enjoyable he finds the whole experience - which is why I'm really pleased that he seems to be enjoying all the fan interaction/speculation a great deal, since by all accounts he seemed to also have a great time during production. I honestly think Lynch really would seriously consider doing a Season 4. It might not be 18 freaking episodes long, but it seems to me that it's more a question of whether Showtime or someone else will see it as a worthwhile investment.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

I've mostly caught up with this thread since the S3 finale, and I don't think I saw this mentioned. I know nailing down when the first scene of the new season takes place has been a big issue.

After the conversation with The Giant in S3E1, Coop blinks out of existence via a strange animation, almost like strips of paper being pulled away. In S3E17 Coop appears in 1989 to watch James and Laura in the woods with the same animation style. Are these scenes meant to take place in sequence? IIRC, the only other instance of this animation is when Laura's body disappears from the beach.

There are several other visual methods used to show people traveling between times/dimensions this season (instantaneous hard cuts, fading to black, being ripped away by an unseen force, probably more I'm forgetting). I think it's interesting that these two line up, and they're both set in black and white.

I might be grasping at straws, and I have no idea what this could mean. Trying to think about this season is like trying to hold water in your hands.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Lester Shy posted:

I've mostly caught up with this thread since the S3 finale, and I don't think I saw this mentioned. I know nailing down when the first scene of the new season takes place has been a big issue.

After the conversation with The Giant in S3E1, Coop blinks out of existence via a strange animation, almost like strips of paper being pulled away. In S3E17 Coop appears in 1989 to watch James and Laura in the woods with the same animation style. Are these scenes meant to take place in sequence? IIRC, the only other instance of this animation is when Laura's body disappears from the beach.

There are several other visual methods used to show people traveling between times/dimensions this season (instantaneous hard cuts, fading to black, being ripped away by an unseen force, probably more I'm forgetting). I think it's interesting that these two line up, and they're both set in black and white.

I might be grasping at straws, and I have no idea what this could mean. Trying to think about this season is like trying to hold water in your hands.

I think there was another 'paper strip' disappearance, I don't remember where, maybe Andy entering the portal.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Baloogan posted:

I think there was another 'paper strip' disappearance, I don't remember where, maybe Andy entering the portal.

I thought that might be the case, since they're both related to The Giant, but Andy simply disappears. One frame he's there with Hawk, Frank, and Bobby, and in the next frame he's gone. When he leaves the Lodge, he disappears again, this time with an audible electrical pop and a flash of light. When he returns to the real world carrying Naido, they both fade in, but there's nothing special about it.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

kaworu posted:

Fantastic A+ post - I've really been wanting to read a detailed reaction from someone who watched the whole thing at once, and it's fascinating to hear. I think you're totally right that the musical acts are more like actual chapter markers than when the episode starts or stops... Like it feels as if the beginning of Episode sort of had the end of Episode 7 tacked onto its beginning, since frankly the Ray/Cooper confrontation followed by the NIN song ending with credits, then a WHOOSH and then Cooper sits up, suddenly revived at the very end - cut to black. Next episode begins with the 1945 date/location card and the blast set to Threnody. That would have made more sense than what we got frankly, with Ray and Cooper driving off into the night being the end of episode 7 instead. and then the part I just described being the intro for episode 8.

I heard somewhere that David Lynch was going to be allowed to make the episodes any length he wanted, but I suspect that was either a rumor or something that Showtime couldn't structurally fulfill, since they have time slots to honor. What made me believe this is probably true, though, is how they dropped the episodes at the beginning and end of the season in groups of 2-4, as if to say, "These are cohesive. Watch them together." It would make a lot of sense if they were released as chapters on the DVD rather than as-aired episodes.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Lester Shy posted:

After the conversation with The Giant in S3E1, Coop blinks out of existence via a strange animation, almost like strips of paper being pulled away. In S3E17 Coop appears in 1989 to watch James and Laura in the woods with the same animation style. Are these scenes meant to take place in sequence?I might be grasping at straws, and I have no idea what this could mean. Trying to think about this season is like trying to hold water in your hands.

Is it future, or is it past?

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

I heard somewhere that David Lynch was going to be allowed to make the episodes any length he wanted, but I suspect that was either a rumor or something that Showtime couldn't structurally fulfill, since they have time slots to honor. What made me believe this is probably true, though, is how they dropped the episodes at the beginning and end of the season in groups of 2-4, as if to say, "These are cohesive. Watch them together." It would make a lot of sense if they were released as chapters on the DVD rather than as-aired episodes.

There was also this interview with the cinematographer where he mentions he was just given a 500-page script with no mention of episode breaks to work with. I would like the idea of the Season 3 Bluray coming with an option to watch it as an 8-hour film, with the theme song taken out in-between and all the credits being saved until the end.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Good luck getting 8 hours of 1980p footage on one disc :v:

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Good luck getting 8 hours of 1980p footage on one disc :v:
Let's see, at about 3 minutes per episode for the theme song and credits, and 13 music acts at around 4 minutes apiece, the series would still be over 15 hours I think.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

I was thinking more about each disc ending with James performing Just You at the roadhouse with "INTERMISSION - PLEASE INSERT NEXT DISC" appearing on screen.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

pyrotek posted:

Let's see, at about 3 minutes per episode for the theme song and credits, and 13 music acts at around 4 minutes apiece, the series would still be over 15 hours I think.

There's so much typos in my post 😳

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Lester Shy posted:

Baloogan posted:

I was wondering the same thing as Lester at one point, but there definitely is another example of the 'paper strip' disappearing effect. I caaaan't remember for the life of me, but it definitely happens and it's not related to either of the scenes you mention.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

There's so much typos in my post 😳

So *many typos

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Does anyone else hate whenever they see a headline that's like "Even THIS PERSON can't tell us what Twin Peaks was about!!!"?

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I glanced at this too quick and thought that said the Mulva Zone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oneforthevine
Sep 25, 2015

Escobarbarian posted:

Does anyone else hate whenever they see a headline that's like "Even THIS PERSON can't tell us what Twin Peaks was about!!!"?

Yeah, this bothers me a bit. Even if there is a "solution" to Twin Peaks (and the merits of this are debateable), it's not like Lynch sat anyone down and said "OK, PAL, HERE'S THE DEAL." Especislly not Peter Deming, who seems to have an almost subconscious way of communicating with Lynch.