Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

:f5: for picross S

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

SeANMcBAY posted:

I'd go with Color Splash. It's severely underrated and the funniest game Nintendo has ever made imo. Paper Jam is alright but I found it a little dull in comparison. The battle gameplay is definitely better in Paper Jam though. Color Splash feels more like an adventure game.

Colour Splash is a very funny and entertaining adventure game with a completely superfluous combat system tacked on. Most fights last all of a single turn, and the boss battles are just "Use relevant Thing for entertaining way to cripple them, nuke remaining HP".

Though I will admit the Thing attacks in fights are pretty drat funny in of themselves. My favourite is the breakdancing piggybank.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

It's almost... Kind of the point to make them last a single turn. That was the puzzle for me.

I do wish that combat had more of a reward, but I still like Color Splash more than a lot of folks. Definitely worth $40 or so if you like adventure/ puzzle games!

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Yeah you have to look at combat as a puzzle. You have to attach the enemies in a certain order you don't have control over, the enemies always have different configurations, your goal is to pick the right cards in the right order to get a perfect, while also not using more cards than you need to. If you wanna do that you have to execute "Excellent" attacks pretty well also. I dug it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Yeah you have to look at combat as a puzzle. You have to attach the enemies in a certain order you don't have control over, the enemies always have different configurations, your goal is to pick the right cards in the right order to get a perfect, while also not using more cards than you need to. If you wanna do that you have to execute "Excellent" attacks pretty well also. I dug it.

Except all it does is serve to interrupt you repeatedly while you're trying to solve other puzzles that are actually interesting, to no benefit in of themselves. No XP, no items, just coins that you can find anywhere in abundant supply.

Especially when they're a solved problem repeated ad-nauseam because you figured out the optimized sequence to kill that specific group of enemies appearing for the 20th time nineteen fights ago.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Nah the enemy groups are varied enough and don't respawn so you actually don't end up fighting that many repeats, except maybe in level revisits. But in revisits you've painted most areas already and know where to go so there isn't any actual need to refight them.

Also in this game the enemies drop the stuff that lets you increase your overall paint pool. Which is basically xp to increase your mp bar.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
It's not the biggest sale in the world, but I'm really drawn to getting Puyo Puyo Tetris (known quantity but expensive), Thumper (HD rumble but hard), and World of Goo (cheap but played before). Any recommendations so I don't get buyers remorse immediately and not play them for months? :sweatdrop:

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Mighty Gunvolt Burst or Blaster Master Zero, both $10, both very good.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Puyo Puyo Tetris is awesome:

jetpackhewy
Mar 30, 2010

Isn't PPT cheaper when purchased digitally? I am not sure if that is what you are going off of, but, if not, that may help sway your opinion.

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
I liked what I played of Color Splash, but it's worth pointing out that it's very much a sequel to Sticker Star. That's no big deal for me since I thought Sticker Star was underrated, but I don't really get why people trash Sticker Star but seem to have a soft spot for Color Splash.

Actually the reason I could finish Sticker Star but never finished Color Splash is that whatever weird type of RPG/adventure game hybrid these games are, they evidently work a lot better played 20 minutes at a time on a daily train commute rather than sitting down at home to play for a longer period of time on a console.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

jetpackhewy posted:

Isn't PPT cheaper when purchased digitally? I am not sure if that is what you are going off of, but, if not, that may help sway your opinion.

There's a 20% sale on the digital version. 25% for Thumper. 15% for Tomorrow Corporation games.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Oh Picross doesn't come out until Thursday, I thought it was the 26th for some reason.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

In Training posted:

Oh Picross doesn't come out until Thursday, I thought it was the 26th for some reason.

I've been super busy this weekend but was checking this thread to see if any new games came out and I saw your post on the last page and got excited and now I'm incredibly depressed thanks dude.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

mancalamania posted:

I liked what I played of Color Splash, but it's worth pointing out that it's very much a sequel to Sticker Star. That's no big deal for me since I thought Sticker Star was underrated, but I don't really get why people trash Sticker Star but seem to have a soft spot for Color Splash.

Actually the reason I could finish Sticker Star but never finished Color Splash is that whatever weird type of RPG/adventure game hybrid these games are, they evidently work a lot better played 20 minutes at a time on a daily train commute rather than sitting down at home to play for a longer period of time on a console.

For me the level design in Color Splash is more varied and goes beyond the standard Mario Level archetypes.

Also Huey is better than Kersti.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Electric Phantasm posted:

For me the level design in Color Splash is more varied and goes beyond the standard Mario Level archetypes.

Also Huey is better than Kersti.

:yeah:

I'd rank them TTYD > PM1 > CS > SPM >>>> SS

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Bill Barber posted:

I've been super busy this weekend but was checking this thread to see if any new games came out and I saw your post on the last page and got excited and now I'm incredibly depressed thanks dude.

I think it came out in Japan today if it's any consolation. Which was why I was confused

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

SeANMcBAY posted:

:yeah:

I'd rank them TTYD > PM1 > CS > SPM >>>> SS

I'd rank em PM1 > CS > TTYD > Then the same. TYD there's just too much going back and forth over the same straight hallway over and over

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*
Color Splash is pretty good (even though I had issues with beating a steak and gave up after 3-4 tries) but you could also spend $30-40 and get the Superstar Saga remake that comes out on October 6. It's not quite your birthday, but you'll be treating yo self just the same. I think it's going to be better than both of those options.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

I'm also just now remembering Color Splash's soundtrack and it was so good and fit perfectly with the series.

And yeah, some of the dialogue is genuinely amazing. You legitimately do see this Shy Guy in an earlier level, and then it's dropped for a little while.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_8Zoqa25-c

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
I wish they'd gone the SPM route and just dropped the turn based stuff in Colour Splash. The battles are a shell of the amazing system used in TTYD and the lack of reward & its use of expendable resources makes them feel like a complete waste of time.

CS trades entirely on the quality of its enviroments and writing, which is top notch. Thats all it really has over the terminally bland Sticker Star.

A Paper Mario with CS's production values and a battle system the equal of TTYD would be phenomenal.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Arcade Mario Bros rules, really glad to have a nice version of it with online score boards.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

This week's drop.

Switch
ACA NeoGeo Burning Fight | NA | PAL | $7.99 / £6.29 / €6.99 (eShop Only)
Astro Bears Party | NA | PAL | $4.99 / £4.49 / €4.99 (eShop Only)
Binaries | NA | PAL | $12.99 / £9.99 / €11.99 (eShop Only)
Brave Dungeon + Dark Witch's Story: COMBAT | NA | PAL | $8.99 / £8.09 / €8.99 (eShop Only)
Butcher | NA | PAL | $9.99 / £8.99 / €9.99 (eShop Only)
Conga Master Party! | NA | PAL | $9.95 / £7.99 / €8.99 (eShop Only)
Deemo | NA | PAL | $29.99 / £26.99 / €29.99 (eShop Only)
FIFA 18 | NA | PAL | $59.99 / £54.99 / €59.99 (eShop / Retail) (Sept 29)
Golf Story | NA | PAL | $14.99 / £ ? / € ? (eShop Only)
Inversus Deluxe | NA | PAL | $14.99 / £10.99 / €11.99 (eShop Only)
One Piece Unlimited World Red Deluxe Edition | NA | PAL | $39.99 / £ ? / € ? (eShop / Retail) (Sept 29 NA / ? PAL)
Pankapu | NA | PAL | $11.99 / £ ? / € ? (eShop Only)
Physical Contact: Picture Place | NA | PAL | $4.99 / £ ? / € ? (eShop Only)
Picross S | NA | PAL | $7.99 / £7.19 / €7.99 (eShop Only)
Sparkle 2 | NA | PAL | $7.99 / £ ? / € ? (eShop Only)
Tower of Babel | NA | PAL | $9.99 / £ ? / € ? (eShop Only)

WiiU
Double Dungeons (TG-16 VC) | NA | $5.99 (eShop Only)
Hive Jump | NA | $14.99 (eShop Only)
Super Ultra Star Shooter | NA | $1.99 (eShop Only)

3DS
Yokai Watch 2: Psychic Spectres | NA | PAL | $39.99 / £ ? / € ? (eShop / Retail) (Sept 29)

There seems to be loads of stuff on Switch this week. FIFA 18 is missing a few modes from PS4/Xbone versions, but has apparently been built from scratch for the Switch. It supports split joycon play and includes Ultimate Team, Career Mode, local Seasons, Online Seasons, Kick Off, "and more". 1080p docked, 720p in handheld/tabletop.

Golf Story is, basically, a golfing RPG. It could be GOAT or it could be trash. WHO KNOWS?!

Picross S is by Jupiter, who made the Picross-e series for 3DS. They're good games, Brett. If you don't know what Picross is, it's a little bit like Sudoku I guess, except you're filling in squares to make a particular shape. It's pretty chill and fun, and can get quite addicting.

Yokai Watch 2: Psychic Spectres is the 3rd version of YW2, it's the same story with some enhancements and probably different Yokai to capture I guess? You can import your save from Fleshy Souls/Bony Spirits if you want to get it and continue from where you left off.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

eShop usually updates at noon EST? I can't wait for Picross

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

For every Switch game that I've cared to check for, they've been immediately available at midnight, local time. This should be the case if your switch region is set accurately.

E: And if NOA works like NOE in this case, since I'm EU

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

golf story is not one of them

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

That's the case for major retail releases. More minor, eShop only games in America go up at noon Eastern, 9am Pacific

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Amppelix posted:

For every Switch game that I've cared to check for, they've been immediately available at midnight, local time. This should be the case if your switch region is set accurately.

E: And if NOA works like NOE in this case, since I'm EU
Regular eShop Thursday releases are usually available at 15.00 Central European Time for PAL / Noon Eastern time for NA. Sometimes big releases are available at midnight (usually retail releases, although Sonic Mania was also). I don't think anything today was available until 45 minutes ago.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I guess I've only been wanting big releases at midnight and I've got them. Although Sonic Mania being there definitely enforced my belief that every game got it.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

the eurogamer of golf story is positive. didnt realise it was an australian indie developer, suppose i should check it out

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?
Euro goons - If you are buying One Piece Unlimited World Red, then get it on the USA Eshop instead. It's almost £25 cheaper.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

In Training posted:

eShop usually updates at noon EST? I can't wait for Picross

I think there might be new DLC for Mighty Gunvolt Burst coming out today too. Call and Joule were released as playable characters in the Japanese version yesterday and as there's already English preview footage out for them a western release shouldn't be far behind.

Lord Wexia
Sep 27, 2005

Boo zombie apocalypse.
Hooray beer!
Somebody tell me how Golf Story is.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Larryb posted:

I think there might be new DLC for Mighty Gunvolt Burst coming out today too. Call and Joule were released as playable characters in the Japanese version yesterday and as there's already English preview footage out for them a western release shouldn't be far behind.

It also got a patch this morning but I couldn't find any english news about an update so you're probably right. Awesome.

Edit: heres the english trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvYO0jBs5Uo

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Blaster Master and Gunvolt Burst have been fantastic investments for the bite sized, cheap DLC they offer. I'm glad Gunvolt is all over the place in these little Switch games.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

DLC Inc posted:

Blaster Master and Gunvolt Burst have been fantastic investments for the bite sized, cheap DLC they offer. I'm glad Gunvolt is all over the place in these little Switch games.

I'd still like a Gunvolt 3 at some point but this has been good too.

Also the new characters seem pretty OP to me (especially Call) but the customization feature already allows you to snap the game's difficulty in half so why not? Looking forward to another excuse to replay Burst. When does the eshop usually update? I haven't seen anything yet.

Ed: It's out for the Switch at least now. The 3DS version claims there's an update available but I'm not seeing anything on the Eshop yet.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Sep 28, 2017

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Lord Wexia posted:

Somebody tell me how Golf Story is.

I got to play like 30-45 minutes at lunch today. It's charming as hell. The dialog is quirky and sort of groan worthy, but it's cute. The golfing handles well and feels good. The game loves to pummel you with rumble.

The scenery is pleasant, and the soundtrack jumps between soothing and tense, depending on the situation. So far I have not regretted the purchase but like I said, I only got to play it at my desk during lunch.

TLDR: If you like Mario Golf you'll like this. The world feels whole, the golfing is tight, the scenery and sounds are awesome. I definitely get a little bit of a tingle in my Earthbound bone.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

[quote="“Beastie”" post="“476858410”"]
I got to play like 30-45 minutes at lunch today. It’s charming as hell. The dialog is quirky and sort of groan worthy, but it’s cute. The golfing handles well and feels good. The game loves to pummel you with rumble.

The scenery is pleasant, and the soundtrack jumps between soothing and tense, depending on the situation. So far I have not regretted the purchase but like I said, I only got to play it at my desk during lunch.

TLDR: If you like Mario Golf you’ll like this. The world feels whole, the golfing is tight, the scenery and sounds are awesome. I definitely get a little bit of a tingle in my Earthbound bone.
[/quote]

Aaaaaaand sold

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Golf Story never came out, its existence was always a myth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

So, the closure of the Wii Shop Channel has been announced. It's going to be possible to buy more Wii points until 2018-03-27, and you can keep buying things until 2019-01-31. After that you can still download things you've bought. This does include doing it from the vWii in the Wii U, so it's not like DSiware where it closed up on the DSi but stayed available on the 3DS.