Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
I have, in my life, eaten food.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

hell, same. same!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

pr0zac posted:

Dinner refers to the biggest meal of the day which was around noon for most of history. It's become synonymous with supper in America because that's generally the biggest meal there now.

Nobody in Saskatchewan is working a schedule to necessitate that kind of meal order.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

having a thread devolve into a food related topic is probably the most ubiquitous SA saga there is

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Tweak posted:

having a thread devolve into a food related topic is probably the most ubiquitous SA saga there is

That why Chicken-cheese multiple sub forum trip was an amazing ride. Does any one still have all those post/pictures?

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

Aphrodite posted:

Nobody in Saskatchewan is working a schedule to necessitate that kind of meal order.

Prairies joke.com

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

BexGu posted:

That why Chicken-cheese multiple sub forum trip was an amazing ride. Does any one still have all those post/pictures?
the guy who toasted it in his car engine :allears:

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

the old ceremony posted:

The comments leading up to the post are worth reading imo.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3498320&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=29

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
in the early 2000s there was a gimmick poster called gamequoter who would just post screenshots of dialog from video games that were appropriate to the thread. going back to those threads now, the images are always dead. gamequoter is lost to us now...

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

the old ceremony posted:

AI continues to be the best subfourm on SA. :smug:

Even though it was TFR I'm claiming it for AI on account of the Volvo

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
Seasoning your chickencheese with a blast from a peppercorn shotgun shell is pretty good TFR. Made me slightly less afraid of them.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
TFR are way less scary when you realise they're all huge nerds about guns, with all the accompanying nerd behaviours.

Also the tacticlol thread is a treasure.

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Inescapable Duck posted:

Also the tacticlol thread is a treasure.

Link plz

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2862314

It's an old thread, so lots of dead links in the early pages.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

pr0zac posted:

Dinner refers to the biggest meal of the day which was around noon for most of history. It's become synonymous with supper in America because that's generally the biggest meal there now.

Uk its breakfast, dinner then tea. Some may even have supper.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

dinner on the weekend if it's the middle of the week then it's lunch and dinner in the evening

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
What about elevensies?

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Spanish Manlove posted:

What about elevensies?

Also great, my Dad also gave us biscuits in the afternoon for fourses though I think he made that up tbh.

goon island was mentioned up the thread and just in case someone hasn't read it, this is the most pro-click

http://forums.hipinion.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=96390&sid=b427835940ae594bcb49d0baa8b97d48

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I don't think he knows about second breakfast.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
In Hebrew it's "morning meal", "lunch meal", "evening meal". So, you know, pretty unambiguous, but I guess English just has to be difficult.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Absurd Alhazred posted:

In Hebrew it's "morning meal", "lunch meal", "evening meal". So, you know, pretty unambiguous, but I guess English just has to be difficult.
tfw you can't make any jokes about this because they'd all be anti-Semitic

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

In Finnish it's "kaasuttakaa viestiketju" in the morning and "antakaa porttikielto alkuperäiselle julkaisijalle" in the evening. Maybe a light "paskin sivuraide ikinä" in between.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

FactsAreUseless posted:

tfw you can't make any jokes about this because they'd all be anti-Semitic

Don't worry, pretty sure the Jews have had this covered for a few thousand years.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Charles Bukowski posted:

Seasoning your chickencheese with a blast from a peppercorn shotgun shell is pretty good TFR. Made me slightly less afraid of them.

The only scary thing about TFR is how bad their aim is. :smugbert:

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Inescapable Duck posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2862314

It's an old thread, so lots of dead links in the early pages.

This is completely incomprehensible if you are not already a crazy gun person, actually

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

Who What Now posted:

The only scary thing about TFR is how bad their aim is. :smugbert:

Just don't mess with their puckins.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

hell, same. same!

I don't even own a Food.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

if you call your midday food "dinner" you're a hosed-up troglodyte not fit for polite society, and you should be flogged to death with chains before your disease can spread

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

if you call your midday food "dinner" you're a hosed-up troglodyte not fit for polite society, and you should be flogged to death with chains before your disease can spread

also if you call the last meal of the day "supper" and not "dinner"

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
Third shift worker here. I stopped calling my meals any specific designations because they stopped meaning anything. Graveyard shifts for years on end changed a lot of that kind of thing in my mind. Normies talking to me about something yesterday is weird. Like, that was my today. Right now is also today but when i wake up later and its still your today your today will be my yesterday now. Weird right?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Charles Bukowski posted:

Third shift worker here. I stopped calling my meals any specific designations because they stopped meaning anything. Graveyard shifts for years on end changed a lot of that kind of thing in my mind. Normies talking to me about something yesterday is weird. Like, that was my today. Right now is also today but when i wake up later and its still your today your today will be my yesterday now. Weird right?

I lived in Indonesia where rice was eaten all 3 meals of the day, then came back to the US to work third shift. All meals are social constructs and i just call them food time.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

ooooooooook

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

goons have VERY strong opinions on food related topics

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i bay for your death, if you name meals incorrectly

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

RFC2324 posted:

goons have VERY strong opinions on food related topics

If there's any statement I can unreservedly back after however many years as a moderator... hoo boy, it's this :lol:

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
Deep concerns of food itt

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
I don't understand the concept of discrete meal times because there is no moment where I am not already eating.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

My great grandparents have always had Breakfast, Dinner, then Supper. It's rural Oklahoma. I figure it's just an old timer thing.

Thread related: I bring this up often but the, "a salad bar is a binding social contract" thread is one of my favorites. Some dude working the register at a small pizza place got really mad about people getting the unlimited salad bar and then letting people with them eat some of the carrots off their plate or whatever. He got dunked on so hard.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

i bay for your death, if you name meals incorrectly

I lust for meal namer death. They will pay for their language crime.

Untrustable posted:

My great grandparents have always had Breakfast, Dinner, then Supper. It's rural Oklahoma. I figure it's just an old timer thing.

Thread related: I bring this up often but the, "a salad bar is a binding social contract" thread is one of my favorites. Some dude working the register at a small pizza place got really mad about people getting the unlimited salad bar and then letting people with them eat some of the carrots off their plate or whatever. He got dunked on so hard.

Got a link? That guy sounds like a real dingus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Here's a fun one: meals on film sets are called Breakfast, Lunch, and (usually not taken) Second Meal, regardless of time taken