Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

If anyone is wondering, double XP is gone now but the CXP rewards for dailies are still crazy high.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neurotic
Apr 27, 2013

is it just me or is anyone else hearing lightsaber sounds in the background, even if you are alone in your stronghold?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

neurotic posted:

is it just me or is anyone else hearing lightsaber sounds in the background, even if you are alone in your stronghold?

There used to be a bug that I don't recall getting fixed where sounds and even decorations would bleed from one stronghold instance to another. Sounds like that's what you're experiencing.

DAVE!!!(c)(tm)
Feb 22, 2003

neurotic posted:

When you hear this, open up your Galactic Command menu and mouse over the Warzones icon. It's the sound from that continuously playing. This always shuts it off for me.

neurotic
Apr 27, 2013

DAVE!!!(c)(tm) posted:

When you hear this, open up your Galactic Command menu and mouse over the Warzones icon. It's the sound from that continuously playing. This always shuts it off for me.

Thanks, that did the trick.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

The voice effect from the ceremonial mystic helmet is awesome as poo poo, what other helmets do the same thing?

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Whorelord posted:

The voice effect from the ceremonial mystic helmet is awesome as poo poo, what other helmets do the same thing?

These have similar voice mod sounds

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Could I have an invite to That's No Goon? My Imperial character's name is Ventha

Infected
Oct 17, 2012

Salt Incarnate

Is subbing for a bit still the best way to get the additional content and all, or is there a better alternative nowadays?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

galenanorth posted:

Could I have an invite to That's No Goon? My Imperial character's name is Ventha

Your best bet is to join our Discord (server info in OP) and ask for an invite there. Not a ton of people online these days, but most of us will hop on and toss an invite if we're home.

Infected posted:

Is subbing for a bit still the best way to get the additional content and all, or is there a better alternative nowadays?

Still the only way. You can only access endgame content as a sub these days, Operations and more than 5 warzones per week are locked behind sub.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

For what it's worth, the insane CXP for dailies is going to continue through September.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

I don't think I ever want to do dailies again.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Medullah posted:

I don't think I ever want to do dailies again.

We joke about pretty princess dress up but even with the expansions there really hasn't been a compelling update gameplay or story wise in a long time. Every time something new comes out on the market that looks badass I have to remind myself that there's nothing worth doing in the game anymore (all credit to Nonentity, you better be making bank with all the whales you're bagging for the cash shop). When I do cave I tend to spend a week or so playing before I realize it's all the same unfun mechanics with the same linear story progression with a slightly different story skin on it.

We all have to come to terms with the fact that the Star Wars we knew and loved no longer exists. Lucasarts/Lucasfilm as it existed under George is gone, now everything is going to be a crappy Disney tie-in game with the depth of a licensed game about loving cereal mascots. SWTOR for all of its flaws is the last gasp of the best parts of the old EU.

Benthalus
Jul 5, 2002

Chickenwalker posted:

We all have to come to terms with the fact that the Star Wars we knew and loved no longer exists. Lucasarts/Lucasfilm as it existed under George is gone, now everything is going to be a crappy Disney tie-in game with the depth of a licensed game about loving cereal mascots. SWTOR for all of its flaws is the last gasp of the best parts of the old EU.

Disney kills fun games. I actually got my wife to play and enjoy Marvel Avenger's Alliance 2 on her iPhone, gameplay was great and story was your standard comic book style. Then there was some hack into the developer's forums (Playdom), Disney came in and shut the whole thing down. Really pissed me off.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
It's all been downhill since Star Wars: DroidWorks.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Kaysette posted:

It's all been downhill since Star Wars: DroidWorks.

Finally someone else that remembers that awesome game

I've played through the Smuggler storyline up until Chapter 3 and I'm on Chapter 1 of the Sith Warrior storyline. I think I've spent about 120 hours on the game, when the usual RPG (e.g. Final Fantasy X) lasts 50-60 hours, and so much is accessible free of charge. Right now SWTOR the best MMORPG I've ever played and it feels like an absolutely bottomless well of terrific content

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Sep 16, 2017

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

galenanorth posted:

I've played through the Smuggler storyline up until Chapter 3 and I'm on Chapter 1 of the Sith Warrior storyline. I think I've spent about 120 hours on the game, when the usual RPG (e.g. Final Fantasy X) lasts 50-60 hours, and so much is accessible free of charge. Right now SWTOR the best MMORPG I've ever played and it feels like an absolutely bottomless well of terrific content

YMMV of course, and very happy you're enjoying the game. That's the point.

My experience has been: when you play enough of it you start to see the formula, and then you kinda can't unsee it, and it makes you feel dumb for liking something so shallow and two dimensional that was touted as Bioware Storytelling™. See also on beaten horse, formula, cliche: Archer, House M.D.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

galenanorth posted:

It's a really good single player game, the MMOG part has just been getting worse.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

The game is great for small bursts. It just doesn't have the appeal to keep playing repeated endgame content like WoW does.

And honestly, in today's world I don't think any MMORPGs are going to have staying power except WoW and FF14, and those are just because they're established. Today's gamers are about "what to play this week" instead of dedicating themselves to one thing. That's a natural side effect of games becoming cheaper, more plentiful and easy to get on the internet. Not to mention the rise of mobile gaming.

DrunkenGarbageCan
Nov 4, 2009

Medullah posted:

The game is great for small bursts. It just doesn't have the appeal to keep playing repeated endgame content like WoW does.

And honestly, in today's world I don't think any MMORPGs are going to have staying power except WoW and FF14, and those are just because they're established. Today's gamers are about "what to play this week" instead of dedicating themselves to one thing. That's a natural side effect of games becoming cheaper, more plentiful and easy to get on the internet. Not to mention the rise of mobile gaming.

I was cutting edge in WoW up through WotLK but quit the week after downing LK and haven't logged in since. Haven't tried FF14, the FF brand is a negative for me and I'm told the PvP is garbage.

I can run the NiM Ops in my sleep but the PvP is still great. I've also enjoyed the direction the game has been going these last 8 months as well.

The bottom line though is the Star Wars license guarantees ToR a niche. WoW may dominate ToR but Star Wars is THE franchise.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

DrunkenGarbageCan posted:

I was cutting edge in WoW up through WotLK but quit the week after downing LK and haven't logged in since. Haven't tried FF14, the FF brand is a negative for me and I'm told the PvP is garbage.

I can run the NiM Ops in my sleep but the PvP is still great. I've also enjoyed the direction the game has been going these last 8 months as well.

The bottom line though is the Star Wars license guarantees ToR a niche. WoW may dominate ToR but Star Wars is THE franchise.

That's why I still play here and there (and actually the only reason I started given that I swore off MMORPGs after an EverQuest addiction). I stay subbed because $40 every three months is really nothing if I get one or two nights a month of fun.

I'm just saying everyone doomsaying the game, well, the landscapes changed.

DrunkenGarbageCan
Nov 4, 2009

Medullah posted:

and actually the only reason I started given that I swore off MMORPGs after an EverQuest addiction)

lol same but for WoW but then it's all Star Wars game you say... MMO you say... Bioware you say... and whelp here I am with nearly 200 days played on my Sorc.

quote:

I'm just saying everyone doomsaying the game, well, the landscapes changed.

Western MMO's are dead for sure, ToR's got a year or two at least in it though.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Medullah posted:

The class stories I feel are still pretty good. The problem is, most of us who have been around for a while have already played all the class stories, some of them more than once. And after 50, it's all into one unified story that's even mostly the same whether you're Republic or Imperial and is for the most part on rails. Opportunities for plot branches are few and far between, unless you count LS/DS points whose decisions will never be referenced again. Plus, in my opinion, the quality of the game's writing plummets after Rise of the Hutt Cartel, or maybe the Dread War depending on your taste, and the story from Shadow of Revan onwards is doubly meh if you're not playing one of the anointed Force using classes it really feels to me like the plot is written around the protagonist being.

Disclaimer: have not played Eternal Throne.

I'm still hoping I'll see the game's story go in a direction that makes me want to pick it up again.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Are goons on Jedi Covenant raiding? I miss raiding with you all.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

We haven't raided regularly in 3 years now. Sometimes we'll get a spark of interest and 3-4 people will show up regularly, but that never lasts long and no one ever wants to do anything difficult

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

SWTOR is one of the most fun I've had with games and really enjoy the stories I've had with a few of my characters, mainly my main. But Galactic Command kind of burned me out. I don't know if it's gotten better since, but it was kind of a kick to the teeth to go from having pretty well optimized pvp gear and then have the rug yanked out from under me and replaced with some massive grind that is nowhere near as intuitive as the old system (save up your pvp tokens, buy a whole rack of pvp ready end game gear and just go have fun).

I do plan to come back but waiting for a few updates of story content to come out and pile up for me to do all in one sitting.

Allatum
Feb 20, 2008

Pillbug

Berke Negri posted:

I don't know if it's gotten better since, but it was kind of a kick to the teeth to go from having pretty well optimized pvp gear and then have the rug yanked out from under me and replaced with some massive grind that is nowhere near as intuitive as the old system (save up your pvp tokens, buy a whole rack of pvp ready end game gear and just go have fun).

Pretty much the reason I quit. It's like they forgot why the PvP token system was done int he first place

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
I started playing this back in 2013, quit because I hated the grind and then came back last year when I heard everything was made easier. I'm running through the class stories, and solo Flashpoints make it easy to not redo planetary arcs.

I enjoy the game quite a bit, but I'll probably stop playing once I'm done with all the stories. They are good though, and the number of class stories make it fun, to play different characters different ways. The sarcastic LS sith to the petulant DS Jedi.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Internet friend of mine made a tracker to track the items you have unlocked in collections

quote:

Hey Everyone,
Today I am releasing a new tool on swtordata.com . A brand new collection manager to make it easier to track your collection if you don't want to use the in game collections. Also adding some enhancements to the existing inventory system.
You can get to the new collection manager here: https://swtordata.com/collection_manager
It can also be found on the home page, or in the new "tools" dropdown.

Collection Manager
A couple friends of mine asked me if it would be possible to create a better way to track collections out of the game. They liked to collect armor, mounts, etc but they didn’t know what character they would go on, they did not want to use the in game collection and have to later pay CC to get it on the character they wanted. Previously they were using spreadsheets, which was far from ideal.
So I decided to make a Collection Manager on the website to make this easier for them. The collection manager allows you to mark a collection as complete, having individual items, also add notes to help you in the future.
The structure is similar to the collection in game(data mined the categories), including giving you a complete percent for each category.
Since this is powered by datamined content, it will always be up to date with the latest patch.

Public Collection
If you want to show off you collection, you can easily do that with the collection manager. You can choose to make your collection public, which I’ll give you a special URL you can share with friends. Right now however there is not a list of shared collections.
This is just the first version of what I plan for being able to share your collection. Right now people with the link can only see the top categories and the percent complete. But I plan on giving you more options to customize the page so, if you choose, your friends can dig deeper into your collection.
Here is my collection as an example

Inventory
Very early in the SWTORData life I added a basic inventory management to the site. Since adding it, is have not done any updates to that feature.
Today I have completely rebuild the inventory from the ground up. I did this to be able to use your inventory to also manage your collection. Because of this, the legacy inventory system is still there but you can no longer add to it.
With the new system you add inventory to a character instead of just your account. This way when you view your inventory, you know exactly where that item is.
This also brings in 2 benefits:
when you add an item to your inventory, if it is part of a collection it will automatically mark that piece has being had in the relevant collection. If you add all of the items from a collection, it will automatically be marked as complete.
When you are viewing information about your collection, it will show you which characters have that item.
You can manage the new inventory on an item page (it still works with items that are not part of a collection) and in the new collection tracker.

Fan sites
As I have mentioned in my most recent posts, one of my major efforts right now is helping with content discovery in our community. We have a lot of people creating great fan site content, but it is not always easy to find.
The collection manager continues these efforts. When you are viewing a collection in the manager, you see links to relevant posts on sites like Tor-fashion allowing you to easily get more information about that set. This is in addition to the existing links that are already on an individual items page.
This is a fully automated system that uses the existing referral link system, just with some new additional logic to show only what is relevant. Anyone can be part of this, so if you run a site that would be a benefit please contact me.

The UI
There is a lot going on in this UI. I personally feel like the ‘modal’ (the pop up when you click a collection) may be too busy. There is. Lot pushed into this UI; adding pieces, completing the collection, adding notes, inventory management, and fan site links.
I put a lot of effort into trying to make sure everything fit while working well on desktop and mobile.
However I don’t know if the UI is fully there. So I am looking for as much feedback on this UI as possible. What you like and don’t like. Usability issues, slow UI, etc. While I can think about how I would use the design (or the people who helped me text this), I can’t know for sure how everyone would use it. So feedback on how you actually use this feature can help with how I can move things around.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Non-Entity, you still around? Is anyone still around?

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Medullah posted:

Non-Entity, you still around? Is anyone still around?

no one here but us jawas

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

RFC2324 posted:

no one here but us jawas

Indiana Jawa and the Jawa of Doom

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Medullah posted:

can't we talk about class stories instead

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Ainsley McTree posted:

Have you seen my train stronghold though

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Medullah posted:

Jawas of the Lost 3P0

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

Ainsley McTree posted:

blizz the jawa is the highlight of the bounty hunter class story, discuss

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Percelus posted:

blizz the jawa is the highlight of the bounty hunter class story SWTOR, discuss

Fixed.

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum

Medullah posted:

Have you seen my train stronghold though

I would like to see this, pictures?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Promethium posted:

I would like to see this, pictures?

I don't actually have it because they capped you at 6 Strongholds and I bought Manaan.

But here's what it looks like. If you played the new flashpoint, you saw it.

https://youtu.be/bRHCd6IY27Y

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neurotic
Apr 27, 2013

if you live on a train, aren't you technically homeless?

• Locked thread