Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is going to be your favorite offseason storyline?
This poll is closed.
The Big3 Tourney 67 22.41%
Will Lakers draft Ball 40 13.38%
Where will the Pauls go 54 18.06%
Will LeBron jump ship to the Spurs or ?? 41 13.71%
Will every team in the league just pivot towards tanking 97 32.44%
Total: 210 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I'm thinking of making a preseason prediction thread and that's a great question. Something like, "Will Dwyane Wade have a higher WS than (whoever was like 6th highest for the Cavs last year)?"

I'll probably post it a bit closer to the season. Give us a couple preseason games to overrate Darren Collison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Tae posted:

Well they're going from Rajon Rondo to Lebron as point guard so probably

Wait did I miss something

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

He was pretty good on the Sklar brothers' podcast

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Lockback posted:

I'm thinking of making a preseason prediction thread and that's a great question. Something like, "Will Dwyane Wade have a higher WS than (whoever was like 6th highest for the Cavs last year)?"

I'll probably post it a bit closer to the season. Give us a couple preseason games to overrate Darren Collison.

Willing to bet Seth Curry will have higher WS than Wade. (again)

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Me sitting next to Wade and LBJ while they're clinking wine glasses:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_NfCmTkLPQ&t=67s

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
The Warriors totally ruined the Spurs meeting Wade and LeBron in the finals again
or did they

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Punkin Spunkin posted:

The Warriors totally ruined the Spurs meeting Wade and LeBron in the finals again
or did they

Nope Aldridge did that

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Metapod posted:

Nope Aldridge did that
hey kudos for not saying "nah the Thunder/Rockets did that" since we both know that aint true :twisted:

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Punkin Spunkin posted:

hey kudos for not saying "nah the Thunder/Rockets did that" since we both know that aint true :twisted:

The rockets did that 😬

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

quote:

Lowe: I don’t know what it is. No one has kind of gotten to the bottom of why. It can’t just be the corny jokes—and my god, does he tell the corniest jokes—but I’ve heard multiple stories of Hawks players learning about the trade and screaming with jubilation into their phones.

Arnovitz: Yes.

Lowe: You ask why, and one account was, like, Dwight would give these speeches before the game about how everyone is playing hard, we want unity, we’re going to … and then go out and play like a blah game where he demands post touches and doesn’t rotate as hard as he could. And everyone is like, “Why are you speaking in the locker room?” But that’s all anecdotal. It’s just crazy how these stories come out after every stop in his career.

Arnovitz: As one person inside the locker room told me, “Do you know how hard it is to make Dennis Schröeder the good guy in an internecine warfare between players?” Do you know how hard it is to have a locker room pro-Dennis in terms of just mood and personality? And, you know, that lasted two or three good weeks and then Dwight was just kvetching about not getting the ball.

[...]

Everyone has this impression of “Oh, it’s the goofiness and the fart jokes and everything else,” and actually, no, I think—he’s a downer.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Can't really say the thunder or the rockets will be responsible for the spurs postseason failure because it's not their fault no one wants to play with kawhi and aldridge

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

What's weird about that is Dwight was voted best teammate this year for the Hawks, right?

Count Mippipopolous
Apr 10, 2008

Kenneth Faried talk early got me wondering what the best situation would be for him around the league. The best I could think of was the Grizzlies maybe? Playing next to Marc, who can play further from the basket and also make up for him on defense somewhat.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Count Mippipopolous posted:

Kenneth Faried talk early got me wondering what the best situation would be for him around the league. The best I could think of was the Grizzlies maybe? Playing next to Marc, who can play further from the basket and also make up for him on defense somewhat.

That sounds like a good fit if they keep the grit & grind identity. I could also see him as a very small 5 on a run and gun system.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
I'm already tired of hearing Dwight talk but he's fortunately just going to be in Charlotte for around a year and a half before he gets flipped for different overpaid talent

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Kibner posted:

What's weird about that is Dwight was voted best teammate this year for the Hawks, right?

https://twitter.com/TheFuzzNBA/status/912790472740835328

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Can I still use stats.nba to find all play-by-play examples of a certain type? I'm extremely skeptical of Lance Thomas' claim that Melo involved him in the offense and I'd like to see some examples

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Tae posted:

Define "good," because they're basically replacing bench corpses from last year and their real effectiveness only matters in the finals.

For wade to be worth it, literally all he has to do is be better than Iman Shumpert is, which is maybe the biggest no brainer ever.

Rose sucks but he is gonna play like 15 minutes a game unless IT is dead so who cares.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

lol I can't believe that teammates actually celebrated Dwight was traded. At least formally. Maybe it was like a "Welcome, Miles and Marco!" kind of shindig.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

lol I can't believe that teammates actually celebrated Dwight was traded. At least formally.

I can. He seems like a total dickhead.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

Alright, I'm back on board. Ice cold.

I hope this story keeps on growing. First they cheered, then they had dinner, then they chartered a plane, flew to Vegas, and re-enacted The Hangover.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
He's a dumb unfunny idiot who thinks he's a respected senior veteran with a lot to teach. Pretty easy to imagine him being a nightmare to work with every day

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

EvanTH posted:

I'm extremely skeptical of Lance Thomas' claim that Melo involved him in the offense and I'd like to see some examples

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nb977CgIb_M

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I miss the days when we thought Dwight would be fined a trillion dollars for Stick-Em

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://streamable.com/rttos

lol this is the opposite of that Sixers practice

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

:shrug:

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

zoux posted:

Steph hit the rim once and the cameraman immediately fainted.

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga
20 days until the Sixers first regular season game.

Please put everyone in bubble wrap until then tyia

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
(Shirley Ellis - The Clapping Song [1965])
Ahah thank you. I assume that's every example.

all those frustrating memories watching Melo throw a beautiful pass once every ten times he touched the ball.

He's the most predictable player in the god damned league with his ISOs. He must be super easy to strategize against, despite half the league calling him the toughest individual cover for a good 4-5 year stretch that ended two or three years ago.

zoux posted:

dudes in the background only go 5/7, so concerns about sacrificing depth are true

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
https://mobile.twitter.com/FisolaNYDN/status/913399823872733184

Some reason

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
This was an interesting read: https://www.fanragsports.com/how-an-nba-video-coordinator-reconciles-stats-and-the-eye-test/

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

pro as heck click

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

quote:

We would provide players with stats and let them know, back to that point of, Hey in the last 5 games, this dude’s hitting 57 percent from 3. We got to get to him early, we can’t let him get those shots off. Force him to drive more

The hot hand is alive and well in the video room.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://mobile.twitter.com/HoopsReportNBA/status/913451479926796288

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
Why is Carmelo morphing into Danny Ainge

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

I'm now imagining a world with Dwade and Melo on the Cavs. Nearly the full Banana Boat!!!

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Cool Buff Man posted:

Why is Carmelo morphing into Danny Ainge

:eyepop:

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

am I crazy in thinking that Blake Griffin is actually kind of underrated at this point? my buddy said he was like a proto-Jokic and I found myself largely agreeing

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

zoux posted:

knew it was gsw before i clicked. because of their famous net-tickling

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

de curry GOAT
Oct 23, 2005

arsenal will gently caress this up and i will do a big lol