Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Yep it's IPS 16, syrup consistency and while it doesn't say PLA on the label it does it just fine (I was using it mainly for acrylic & polycarbonate)

Working time is short-ish and if you're not expecting the somewhat runny consistency you could make a mess but it's good stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Say, anyone know if the Prusa multi material is supposed to be compatible with the MK3? I'd think so but I haven't found any answer, and since light googling reveals the occasional same question (unanswered) in some forum posts.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo
I need to see the effect of plastic glue does on pla and abs.

I use it for tiny mans games made of plastic, but it should work the same way but dealing with the infill mesh should be interesting.

mewse
May 2, 2006

From what I understand multi-material for the mk3 is still in development

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

mewse posted:

From what I understand multi-material for the mk3 is still in development

I believe I read this somewhere as well, yes.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

erm... actually thieves should be summarily executed
it's right there on the announcement blog post guys

quote:

Multi Material will be available shortly after the MK3 starts shipping with a slight upgrade, by including filament sensors for all 4 extruders, increasing the reliability immensely.

jeez

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Whoops, I read that as "and our other new product you've been hearing about will be ready shortly after the MK3, so let's hear it for new stuff woooo" :downs:

mewse
May 2, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

it's right there on the announcement blog post guys

jeez

I never learned to read :(

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

EVIL Gibson posted:

I need to see the effect of plastic glue does on pla and abs.

I use it for tiny mans games made of plastic, but it should work the same way but dealing with the infill mesh should be interesting.

That's what IPS16 and all the fun chemicals I've been mentioning do in regards to PLA, PC and Acrylic. Normal plastic cement isn't likely to have much effect.

ninja edit: Just tried to glue some scrap PLA using Revell's plastic glue. Didn't work.

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

I've tried Tamiya's liquid cement on PLA, also no go. I'll have to find my tube of acrylic cement and see if that's got any of the appropriate nastiness in it.

On the other hand, the $15 3D pen I nabbed off Amazon the other day showed up this morning, and I was actually a little shocked at how firmly it bonded two pieces of scrap together. I really didn't expect that much strength from a couple of small plastic weld beads. Also ordered one of the $15 Monoprice pens that CloFan linked to, as backup for when the first cheap one inevitably tries to burn my house down.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

PLA only dissolves in chlorinated solvents. Wikipedia says it dissolves in tetrahydrofuran but I've tried it and it's pretty slow and crappy. Nothing like ABS in acetone, for instance.

Dichloromethane has always been my go-to solvent for...difficult...plastics, and it works just great on PLA, but it's getting harder and harder to find in pure form.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Are there any good uses for lovely PLA filament. I have a roll thats been left out on the open for too long and all the prints I do with it are shithouse and brittle and separate easily, so im not going to use it any more, but I dont want to just throw it out.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Stick it in a 3d pen if you have one. Otherwise just scrap it. You probably only spent like 20 bucks on it and it'll biodegrade anyway

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

Stick it in a 3d pen if you have one. Otherwise just scrap it. You probably only spent like 20 bucks on it and it'll biodegrade anyway

I just ordered one of those 3d pens linked above, so I will save it for that. Cheers.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

Jestery posted:

Super glue is pretty good, hold it in place for a bit though, it feels like it takes a minute or two to " set" on PLA.

I just installed a e3d V6 clone and it is a touch offset in the Y axis, and it requires me to put in an a y-offset at a base level.

What is the process for this? Just under a tab?
I tried in advanced settings to change the home location but that didn't do anything.

I'm using repetier in combination with slic3r prusa edition if that's any help

I found a bit of a stupid work around for this, running the config/setup printer in slic3r prusa edition allows you to set a new home point and for anything large enough that the offset matters obviously moving the object that accommodate the offset.

If anyone has a more elegant solution I am open to it :)

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I'm getting strange banding and consistent shifting on this part I'm printing. I'm not sure what's going on, the only change is that I updated Cura and I don't know which settings it hosed with this time, except it blew away my start gcode.

Any ideas? Pictures:

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
It might be worth double-checking the non-printing speed value in Cura. On another printer I had *cough Robo3D R1 cough* if the non-printing speed was higher than 80mm/s the carriage/Bed momentum would overpower the steppers resulting in a shift if it was moving across a large enough distance (say, any rapid move longer than 30mm).

The other option would be to consider adding some active cooling wherever the electronics are housed on your machine, blowing air across the heatsinks on your stepper drivers (you do have heatsinks on your stepper drivers, right?).

Alternatively, slow things down to a true crawl and be more patient when printing things. Also double check the tension on your axis belts and make sure they're taut.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
I'll check that, here's one alone. Something must have changed with the travel speed settings.

No shift, still have banding.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Monoprice is having sales on some of their printers today with the promo codes in the image. The maker select v2 is $255. I think it was $240 last black friday but other than that, it's the lowest I've seen:
https://www.monoprice.com/pages/3d_printers

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker
My printer just can't get it up anymore

I dunno what happened, but I used to get the temp up to 230 for petg, but I can't get past 220 for some reason. It's been a gradual thing too. I had it up to 240 for testing and that dropped to 230 and I was like "that's ok, 230's a better temp for this anyway" so I didn't think about it, but now it gets to 220 and sits there like that's the temp I asked for. I printed at 220 just to see if I could and the print was garbage, so I'm pretty sure it's actually 220, not just a sensor error.

Could it be a firmware setting that's gone ape or is autumn taking that much of a toll on my hotend? It's basic 1.75mm e3d v6 12V if that helps.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Do a PID autotune imo, and make sure all the wires and connections look solid and everything is plugged in properly.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Marlin should have a thermal runaway feature where it emergency-stops the machine if the extruder doesn't reach the commanded temperature within some preset time interval. Is that not triggering?

What is your hotend output? Is it currently running at max PWM, or is it hovering at some lower value?

Fatal
Jul 29, 2004

I'm gunna kill you BITCH!!!

NPR Journalizard posted:

Are there any good uses for lovely PLA filament. I have a roll thats been left out on the open for too long and all the prints I do with it are shithouse and brittle and separate easily, so im not going to use it any more, but I dont want to just throw it out.

Melt it? https://youtu.be/G-HWrDMr0ks

Maybe use it for one of those 3d print pens? I've got a couple kilo that came with my 3d printer kit from China, just total poo poo. The spools are now in the trash, not worth the pain of a print failing half way through.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
Looking for advice, I want to get a (cheap-ish) 3D printer that I can use to print small parts and housings, printing quality is more important than bedsize. A metal construction would be cool compared to the common 3d-printed ones.
My dad got a Prusa i3(chinese kit) a while back and even with a few hours of tinkering I couldn't get any (remotely) decent results, I'd like something that requires less than a day to get good-enough results with. I'm happy to tinker with it after, but I feel like having to spend several days in setup just to print a cube won't get me consistent prints within a lifetime.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azsAasA8E3o
I saw this recent shill video and the printer seems nice enough, although even the paid video brings up a lot of problems, so I really don't know. Is it true that vector printers are the best cheap printers at the moment?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

If you can't get reliable prints out of a Prusa (assuming it's not having actual hardware failures, etc. due to knockoff parts) you won't have much more luck with any of the other inexpensive systems. All of the printers out there that cost less than several thousand dollars require some amount of fiddling and tuning to get good results. "A few hours of tinkering" is, like, enough to get the machine powered up and your first test print run, maybe. If you're starting from zero you can expect to spend several days just getting nice results with basic PLA and average settings.

Delta printers aren't really better or worse than cartesian models, just different. They're better for some types of model and worse for others. There are different types of things that can go wrong from one design to the next.

What was wrong with the Prusa results? Some of the common errors have simple solutions -- if you post pictures of what's happening someone can probably diagnose it pretty fast.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Sagebrush posted:

If you can't get reliable prints out of a Prusa (assuming it's not having actual hardware failures, etc. due to knockoff parts) you won't have much more luck with any of the other inexpensive systems. All of the printers out there that cost less than several thousand dollars require some amount of fiddling and tuning to get good results. "A few hours of tinkering" is, like, enough to get the machine powered up and your first test print run, maybe. If you're starting from zero you can expect to spend several days just getting nice results with basic PLA and average settings.

Delta printers aren't really better or worse than cartesian models, just different. They're better for some types of model and worse for others. There are different types of things that can go wrong from one design to the next.

What was wrong with the Prusa results? Some of the common errors have simple solutions -- if you post pictures of what's happening someone can probably diagnose it pretty fast.

Well obviously the powering on part was already working once I got to it, problems I had were massive warping(has a heated bed), filament being dragged around and all sorts of little things. Even just trying to get calibration cubes to work seemed impossible and I couldn't be arsed messing with it anymore since it isn't even mine.
Like, I don't mind tinkering with it at all, I just wanna have a solid base that I know can produce something useful and won't constantly produce new issues rather than solid models.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

If you want good reliable quality out of the box my choice would be the Flashforge Inventor 2. PLA only, it'll do down to 0.05mm layer heights without issue. The one I use in shop has been going strong for 3 months or so of daily use and is a very capable little machine. It's not a printer anyone else in the thread would recommend, but it's the closest experience I've had to plug and play out of the box, all it needs is a level.

Buddha and the Knob are done at high quality (0.05 mm layer heights) and David is at medium quality (0.2 mm). The knob is 10 mm in diameter.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

If you're using PLA on a heated bed, the heavy warping and the filament being dragged around are both symptoms of improper leveling or zeroing. That's something you have to deal with on every 3D printer.

Like, some of the modern designs make zeroing easier, but without much work you could get that prusa printing well if those are the main issues.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

I also have a prusa i3 knockoff, and it took a while but I can get halfway decent prints out of it now. I did splash out on a new hotend though, e3d v6 lite.

Slow down your print speed to between 20-40 mm/s, enable retraction to counter the stringing, and download a bed leveling test from thingiverse. Its possible. It will take some tinkering though.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Sagebrush posted:

If you're using PLA on a heated bed, the heavy warping and the filament being dragged around are both symptoms of improper leveling or zeroing. That's something you have to deal with on every 3D printer.

Like, some of the modern designs make zeroing easier, but without much work you could get that prusa printing well if those are the main issues.

I was following the advise on wikis back then and it was all about feedrates and stuff, leveled it several times and the papersheet tests worked perfectly. Since the printer isn't mine and not at my place I really don't care to fix it anymore, I want to get a solid base and then get that working :v:. Seems there are a ton of banggoodgearbestchinaexpreswhatever printers around, is there any ressource to sort through these? A lot of them seem to hand out 100$ off coupons.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
If you really want an out-of-the-box good experience, buy from prusaprinters.org

They're the OEM and not that much more expensive than their many knockoff competitors.

Also, their newest machine is loving sweet.

Some Pinko Commie fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Sep 28, 2017

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
Like I said, I'm looking for something with known potential, there are so many chinese kits and a lot of them seem to have bribed youtubers to call them the best 3d printer, and I'd just like to filter through the noise a bit. I like the idea of vector printers, but I have no idea how much better or worse they really are in regards to quality. I'm fond of the idea of a kit, since building it is part of the fun, but I'd also like a decent metal construction as long as it doesn't make it ridiculously more expensive.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
The printrbot play wasn't very reliable when I was using it, but it's apparently gotten better. It did have pretty good quality though, and I think it was like $300.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Get a genuine Prusa. Buy it pre-built if you want plug-and-play, but that's going to be tons better than a Chinese knockoff. Don't let the poor quality of the one your dad has lead you to believe all printers in that class are poo poo, because the OG is everything it's hyped up to be.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

SEKCobra posted:

Like I said, I'm looking for something with known potential

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kfe_84FGJ8c

That video is from the previous version of the printer I'm suggesting you get. And Thomas Sanladerer is not a paid reviewer, he's extremely picky about what he'll publish a review on (ask him about an Anet some time in one of his live streams and watch him explode) and has been the top-tier 3d-printing related guy on Youtube for several years.

His line about the difference between the machine in that video and the knockoffs you keep talking about is pretty much perfect as well.

And here is an overview of the stuff added for the current version of the machine for a comparison for what you get for $500 for the MK2S vs. $750 for the MK3.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwNIzQLtHnU

Some Pinko Commie fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Sep 28, 2017

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
I looked at the original, but it costs like twice what the knockoffs cost, I'd assume that those shouldn't be much worse considering they use the same working principle?
The cheapest is 620 € unshipped, I can get a metal knockoff with no tax for 302 EUR apparently: https://www.gearbest.com/3d-printers-3d-printer-kits/pp_641324.html?wid=21

Then there's this one, hyped as the best by many paid youtubers (310 €):
https://www.gearbest.com/3d-printers-3d-printer-kits/pp_627176.html?wid=21

And a delta for even less money with some coupons (240 USD):
https://www.3dprintersonlinestore.com/flsun-3d-kossel-delta-diy-kit

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Working principle != quality of components

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Do whatever you want, just keep in mind that you've been warned that all of the knockoffs have the tradeoff of using weaker/inferior components and you lose all support you would get from the people that build and sell the Original.

You buy a knockoff and you are ON YOUR OWN. Knockoffs only work for those guys on Youtube because they have learned through a *lot* of trial-and-error how to work around inferior components. Almost all of them modify the kits they "review" until they function.

Deltas are a tremendous pain in the rear end to calibrate and if you thought the knockoff i3 your dad has was a pain to work with you will be pulling an Office Space on a delta.

mewse
May 2, 2006

SEKCobra posted:

I'd assume that those shouldn't be much worse considering they use the same working principle?

You'd be surprised

quote:

Then there's this one, hyped as the best by many paid youtubers (310 €):
https://www.gearbest.com/3d-printers-3d-printer-kits/pp_627176.html?wid=21

Yeah the CR-10 is generally well regarded

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Do whatever you want, just keep in mind that you've been warned that all of the knockoffs have the tradeoff of using weaker/inferior components and you lose all support you would get from the people that build and sell the Original.

You buy a knockoff and you are ON YOUR OWN. Knockoffs only work for those guys on Youtube because they have learned through a *lot* of trial-and-error how to work around inferior components. Almost all of them modify the kits they "review" until they function.

Deltas are a tremendous pain in the rear end to calibrate and if you thought the knockoff i3 your dad has was a pain to work with you will be pulling an Office Space on a delta.

Fair enough, 500 €+ stuff isn't for me though.