Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Mariana Horchata posted:

the iraq/afghan war 2 this day are still incomprehensibly complex international clusterfucks that from the get-go had no purpose beyond exerting power both foreign and domestically thru mass media manipulation via fear

:jihad:

i wonder how many people in the american population are basically half cyborg at this point as a result of these wars

technology is pretty much on pace for augmentation

we're going for the Deus Ex: Mankind Divided route

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
I've always thought Hugh Hefner was cool because he defended gay rights back in like the 50s/60s when that was an incredibly radical position.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Lastgirl posted:

i wonder how many people in the american population are basically half cyborg at this point as a result of these wars

It's cool that we maimed a shitload of people but developed basic bionics as a way to half-rear end fix it.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Oiled and Ready posted:

Well, sort of.

Ares is the guy advocating peace, but only to amplify the panic when that expected peace is shattered. He is not revealed to be the god of war; he is revealed to be the god of war profiteering. He is meant to symbolize the hidden evil that enables peak villainy, then solemnly sends heroes (armed with more of his weaponry) to reestablish order.

The movie is, on the surface, about World War I, but it begins at the tail end of said war. On close review, it is not about World War I at all; it is instead an indictment of American, French, German, and British capitalists for enabling the rise of fascism in Germany.

Ares disguises himself as British Lord who, under auspice of armistice, travels to Germany. He is actually there to ensure the bombing of London with a deadly gas. This bombing was planned by Ludendorff, who Wonder Woman initially thinks is Ares -- until she kills him and the war rages on. Chris Pine speculates that this is because war has nothing to do with Ares, but his argument is proven wrong. When she spares the other fanatic, Maru, and instead kills Ares (war profiteering), the war comes to an immediate end.

Ludendorff, by the way, was an actual German General. In real life though, he didn't die in 1918.

In 1917, a full year prior to the events in the film, the German Reichstag had voted in favor of an armistice that would allow Germany to claim victory in a defensive war and keep their borders intact. These were terms the Entente would have almost certainly accepted. Ludendorff, though, was furious. He successfully lobbied to have the Chancellor removed, and bullied the representatives into funding the war indefinitely.

Ludendorff argued that Germany needed to have expanded borders for defense against future aggression. In reality, he was steered to this conclusion. War profiteers in his orbit were hungry for French minerals in the resource-rich border regions. They had already succeeded in pushing him to modify Brest-Litovsk and the Romanian armistice to line their pockets, and still they were not satiated.

As a result, Germany fought on with no hope of securing victory. Ludendorff, a man who had never been one to lie to his own soldiers, suddenly began distributing false propaganda about America and Britain's "weak position". His fanaticism would end up losing Germany even the mineral-rich region they had taken from France a half-century prior, Alsace-Lorraine. Ludendorff was eventually removed by the Kaiser and a new nobleman Chancellor because he was a roadblock to any realistic path to peace. Both these men were from old nobility, and thus were both aware of the wiles of the profiteers, and too respectful of the lives of the German people, to engage in artificially extending the conflict themselves.

When the war was lost, Ludendorff could have blamed himself. He could have also blamed the industrial profiteers who pushed him to rebuke armistices time and again. Since he was anti-Semitic from jump, though, these specific industrialists were obviously not Jewish.

What he did instead was work through his trauma by creating the stabbed-in-the-back myth. He also blamed the social democrats, who were forced to sign a terrible agreement solely because he himself had blocked their prior armistice. His industrialist friends were not an option, but he was more than willing to blame all the other profiteers -- especially those he was already bigoted against. Soon enough, he was close friends with Adolf himself.

In Ludendorff's post-war memoirs, he accurately proclaimed,

He went on to participate in the Kapp Putsch, then the Beer Hall Putsch. During the latter, Hitler proclaimed Ludendorff would lead the Nazi army.

As the Putsch marched on the capitol, the following d e c o r u m occured:

In 1924, he was elected to the Reichstag. In 1925 he stood for Chancellor against his friend Hindenberg, and he couldn't handle losing that election. A Berlin paper's 1925 above-fold ran with a now-even-more-awkward headline:

Ludendorff, however, was so absurd a character that even Hitler could not remain his ally once he rose to power. Ludendorff's sin, according to Hitler? He bought into too many conspiracy theories. Turns out, some of them may have been on point.

Ludendorff's 1933 telegram to Hindenberg is hard to source, but it can be found in contemporaneous books. Meanwhile, the only people I could find dismissing it as a forgery were internet neonazis. Seems like a confirmation to me! It purportedly read:

Ludendorff finally died in 1937. In one of Hitler's most Trumpian moves ever, and that says a lot,

So when Wonder Woman kills Ludendorff and the war does not stop, the implication is that Ares is meant to symbolize war profiteering, and since there is a ready supply of nationalist zealots in all nations, war can only end with Ares' death.

Solid flick.

good writeup ty

this did more than anything else I've ever seen to convince me that I should give wonder woman a chance watching

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

we want plates

we want piss tape

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Zeroisanumber posted:

It's cool that we maimed a shitload of people but developed basic bionics as a way to half-rear end fix it.

u never asked for this

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

??

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

SKULL.GIF posted:

u never asked for this

i never asked for your posts

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/TrumpHotels/status/912397569795510272

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i'm the dollops of mayonnaise

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

don't you post that poo poo

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

SKULL.GIF posted:

good writeup ty

this did more than anything else I've ever seen to convince me that I should give wonder woman a chance watching

Honestly it would have been a better twist if Ares had been pushing for peace in earnest, because he knew that WWII would dwarf the first war

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

i remember the dwarf war

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
i don't care if you're an employee if you put that in front of me i will straight up drink the blood straight out of your chest

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

redneck nazgul posted:

i remember the dwarf war

it was pretty short

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
dwarves are actually roughly equivalent to humans in size but lack the same bodily proportions which is why they look short

a helpful bear
Aug 18, 2004

Slippery Tilde

no piss 0/10

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
you absolute idiot

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
https://twitter.com/EMlNEMOBAMA/status/913187389262135296

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
Jeb! is very pro-LGBT

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

MaxxBot posted:

Jeb! is very pro-LGBT

:aaa:

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

a helpful bear
Aug 18, 2004

Slippery Tilde

i open my mouth slowly and as it opens a low, deep yawing noise steadily increases in volume

the walls start to shake

my prized anime statues fall off of their shelves

there are cracks appearing in the foundation and roof

the massive sinkhole appears and swallows me and my home into satan's loving arms

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

Lastgirl posted:

a friend makes prosthetics for a living and business has been on a nonstop upward trajectory for the last decade...tho ofc im sure non war things like diabetes also play into this, heh another uniquely american prob how very~

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

ScrubLeague posted:

how many rapes do you think hugh hefner did i bet he's over the cosby line

https://twitter.com/EMlNEMOBAMA/status/913257495862349824

https://twitter.com/EMlNEMOBAMA/status/913257750448283650

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
ur continued existence in america could literally cost u an arm or a leg... :ohdear:

marmot25
May 16, 2004

Yam Slacker
romesco is pretty good sauce tho

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost

lmaoed balls

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

All of his hotel food makes me so angry and I'm not even a foodie.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Redgrendel2001 posted:

All of his hotel food makes me so angry and I'm not even a foodie.

the drinks they make are worse somehow

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
wait until you see their soup...!

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

:ramsay:

cat food!!

*flings whole plate into trash bin and storms out back door*

Adbot