Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Blisster posted:

The team behind Ex Machina have a new film coming out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufaDurSCKOk

That looks dope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Lavar Burton directed Smart House

Still, to this day, I get that loving song they play during the party stuck in my head sometimes

achillesforever6 posted:

That's one of the few ones I remember fondly, there was the phantom in the megaplex, that paper boy movie where a couple of rear end in a top hat kids had a cool rear end tree fortress, merman movie, The Luck of the Irish, the Even Stevens movie, and that space girl movie series.

The *cough*merman movie was The Thirteenth Year, and Zenon, Girl of the 21st Century is the space girl movie. Brink was absolutely sick to pre-teen me.

Blisster posted:

The team behind Ex Machina have a new film coming out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufaDurSCKOk

Oscar Isaac's back, I'm in.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Genuinely interested in what you make of both. I haven't seen the former and it sounds batshit; I have seen the latter, and I felt like it came incredibly close to being great, but didn't have enough confidence in itself to achieve it.

On Creating Rem Lezar: It is batshit and uncomfortable from start to finish. The high point is when the villain's musical number is clearly inspired by King Diamond.

On Captain Underpants: It was not even close to great. Thoroughly mediocre animated children's comedy. Any apparent strengths to the film are rooted in the superficial novelty of it being adapted from a prolific lowbrow children's book series, but in execution there's very little distinguishing it from any other works in the same genre.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Friday the 13th 2-6 are dope as hell

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS
Book binding used to be so dope

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Coffee And Pie posted:

Chubby pup does a point

Nice Stephen King collection!

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

I just saw The Florida Project and it's pretty wonderful y'all.

Other than Sean Baker and the Safdies, who are the best directors filming the hustle right now?

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Nice Stephen King collection!

Thanks, my mom is a big fan. I'm reading It as we speak actually

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It is pretty good. A bit rambley at times but good.

I def skipped most of the child orgy. I couldn't deal with that.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Yeah, that Wizard and Glass spine jumped out at me.

Snak posted:

Friday the 13th watchthrough update: I take back half of the bad things I said about part 3, if only because part 4 was so much worse. Part 5 was a vast improvement. I would say 1 and 2 are tied for best, and part 5 next. Part 5 has probably the most agressive pacing of any of them so far, which was quite welcome.

Overall these are incredibly lazy movies, even by horror standards. The fact that there's basically no suspense or buildup to any of the kills is noteable, but makes them not very interesting.

The fact that Halloween came out 2 years before the first one and did everything so much better than any of them so far, is pretty damning, I think. At the same time, it proves how much gore, violence, nudity, and, int he case of 5, profanity, sell.

Well, the first movie was just a cheap cash in on Halloween. "We need a day that is scary but isn't Halloween." "Uh I guess that leaves us with Friday the 13th and Super Bowl Sunday if you're husband is a mean drunk."

But yeah, I love the third one. It's when the series really comes into its own (and when they finally get their own icon with Jason's hockey mask) and I've always been a sucker for cheap 3d movies shown in 2d.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Hugh Hefner died :smith:

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Why are you sad about that. Guy loved a long life and did amazing things, most of them sex. He's lucky as gently caress.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Coffee And Pie posted:

Thanks, my mom is a big fan. I'm reading It as we speak actually

Reading what?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Hef was a serious movie buff and bankrolled a lot of film restoration work

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

...what?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

K. Waste posted:

On Captain Underpants: It was not even close to great. Thoroughly mediocre animated children's comedy. Any apparent strengths to the film are rooted in the superficial novelty of it being adapted from a prolific lowbrow children's book series, but in execution there's very little distinguishing it from any other works in the same genre.

I don't really disagree with your overall assessment of it. What struck me in particular, though, was that the movie would consistently set up really good jokes... and then immediately throw them in the garbage in favor of a really obvious and lowbrow poop joke, as if they weren't at all confident that their audience would grok smarter material. If they'd just held back a bit on the toilet humor (not necessarily excised it entirely, just shown some loving restraint) it could have been on the same tier as, say, Lego Batman; as it stands it's just watchable.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I don't really disagree with your overall assessment of it. What struck me in particular, though, was that the movie would consistently set up really good jokes... and then immediately throw them in the garbage in favor of a really obvious and lowbrow poop joke, as if they weren't at all confident that their audience would grok smarter material. If they'd just held back a bit on the toilet humor (not necessarily excised it entirely, just shown some loving restraint) it could have been on the same tier as, say, Lego Batman; as it stands it's just watchable.

I actually feel that it's the opposite dilemma: None of the jokes are particularly lowbrow. The threshold has shifted since 1997. Your average animated film is already pretty scatological, now. Captain Underpants ends up feeling as tame as The Peanuts Movie. You would think that with a movie called Captain Underpants, most of the humor would revolve around really puerile stuff. Instead, most of it is expository in that manner that everything needs to be expository now. Something awkward happens and a character says, "That's awkward." Something confusing happens and a character announces their confusion. Professor Poopypants says that the emphasis is on the poop. Even running gags can't just be running gags. The characters need to run past the running gag and then pop back in to say, "Hey, look, the gag is still happening."

But what actually happens in the film is that Captain Underpants punches a mime, or fights a giant inflatable gorilla, or the kids hijack a crane, it's all really tame stuff.

Contrast this with The Spongebob Squarepants Movie, one of the greatest animated films of all time: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpI0s0ky53I

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I mean, six one way, half a dozen the other. The film could have also been reasonably improved by going further in the poop joke direction, I guess, but it refuses to actually commit to anything, and I thought the non-scatological material was a lot stronger. At the end of the day, what you're left with is a very frustrating movie, because it feels like a primoridial kids-movie ooze from which a great movie could have risen, had anyone involved put in just a little more effort and focused the film a bit more narrowly and had a bit more faith in their audience.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Sep 28, 2017

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
It just doesn't feel like a very good adaptation of Captain Underpants.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

On the one hand, hefner was a horrific sex creep, but on the other he published some great stuff. Truly, a land of contrasts.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Budgie Jumping posted:

TOS is bad because it doesn't have any Q.

"Very clever, Worf. Eat any good books lately?"
Unironically Q is one of the most remarkable characters. He's a literal god and not a useless way Thor is, and this normally kills all dramatic tension.

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Still, to this day, I get that loving song they play during the party stuck in my head sometimes

The *cough*merman movie was The Thirteenth Year, and Zenon, Girl of the 21st Century is the space girl movie. Brink was absolutely sick to pre-teen me.

Oscar Isaac's back, I'm in.
Unironically this was the most stunning part of Ex Machina

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Sep 28, 2017

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Big is like the opposite though, it's just a kid that becomes Tom Hanks

I mean, someone listed 13 Going On 30. If that flies then we can have Big. Anyway I find it most amusing that there are at least three versions of Freaky Friday and two of 17 Again.

SleepCousinDeath posted:

there's also another version of 17 Again made for the Disney Channel that stars Taj Mowry

I guess there are three. Why don't people make more kid/adult brain swap movies instead of just making new versions of the same ones?

precision posted:

HP Lovecraft deserves all the flak he gets for his lovely views on race but it is legitimately an amazing accomplishment that he made geometry terrifying

His talent for describing all this impossible poo poo in such detail is unbelievable. His use of seriously old timey racism is also impressive. I'd never read the word "quadroon" so many times!

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Josh Lyman posted:

Unironically Q is one of the most remarkable characters. He's a literal god and not a useless way Thor is, and this normally kills all dramatic tension.

Honestly, I feel like this is mostly on Q being a huge dick. A benevolent literal god kills all dramatic tension; a literal god who sees the protagonists as, essentially, toys in his toybox is actually kind of terrifying.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

I Before E posted:

On the one hand, hefner was a horrific sex creep, but on the other he published some great stuff. Truly, a land of contrasts.

Hef is like the patron saint of "problematic fave".

precision posted:

i've not yet watched a single episode of rick and morty, is it worth it

NB: the only seasons of Community I really love are the first two

the quality of community is almost a perfect sine wave. starts out at base, reaches it's peak about halfway through season two, returns to base by the end of season three, reaches it's bottom about halfway through season 5, and then returns to base for the end.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I just got back from seeing The Searchers at a theater. Never saw it before, complely forgot it was a John Ford film. I said in the past that I was shocked that squeaky clean image John Wayne got his start in Stagecoach playing an outlaw, but I didn't realize how morally dubious his portrayl of Ethan would be. What a sad, racist man.

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013
Am I the only person who feels like Bojack Horseman bites super hard from Eastbound and Down? I like both shows a lot and they play the material differently due to setting and general tone, but still.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
James Cameron coming back for another Terminator, only if he could do the same for Aliens!

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
I just want an Abyss sequel.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I just want an Abyss sequel.

This time with more stock footage of war crimes.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Lurdiak posted:

This time with more stock footage of war crimes.

It briefly scrolls through the Something Awful forums and immediately slams tsunamis into every coastline.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
So I rewatched The Nine Lives of Fritz the Cat.

:stonk:

e: like, the first movie is... unpleasant, but at least has some redeeming qualities. This doesn't. This seriously doesn't.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Neither movie has anything on the absolute searing nightmarishness of Felix the Cat, which is ytotd:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xioJSBnVuI0

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
i made a dumb thing

https://s1.webmshare.com/AdKQQ.webm

edit: SA doesn't want to embed so here's a link https://webmshare.com/play/AdKQQ

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
What's the original context?

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
context is grizzly man (good) and a cop/military "rap song" by noted shithead fash grifter Baked Alaska (bad)

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
everyone should watch Grizzly Man if you haven't already

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
https://twitter.com/msLAS/status/913242392639229954

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Hugh Hefner kinda looks like Leslie Nielson playing Popeye.

X-Ray Pecs posted:

The *cough*merman movie was The Thirteenth Year, and Zenon, Girl of the 21st Century is the space girl movie. Brink was absolutely sick to pre-teen me

This discussion is reminding me, which one of you is the neckbeard?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xITR-FIi_oA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Neither movie has anything on the absolute searing nightmarishness of Felix the Cat, which is ytotd:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xioJSBnVuI0

Apples and oranges. The Felix film is nightmarish because it's surreal; Nine Lives of Fritz is nightmarish because it's loving abhorrent.

The first Fritz is... iffy politically, but taken in the context of Bakshi's work as a whole, I think it's aight. The Harlem sequence is basically proto-Coonskin, with Fritz's role in it working remarkably well even now as a parody of terrible white "allies," and while the film depicts some pretty loving brutal misogyny it's fairly careful not to endorse it (the scene with the horse girl is horrifying, and obviously intended to be). Nine Lives, meanwhile, takes everything the first film did okay at and takes a giant, steaming poo poo all over it.

Wikipedia - seriously I'm not kidding all of this actually loving happens in the movie posted:

The first character he meets on his stoned journey is Juan, a Puerto Rican. The two talk about Juan's sister Chita. The scene fades to Juan's house where Fritz is seen sitting on the couch smoking a joint next to Chita, while Juan is at the store. Chita complains to Fritz when he blows smoke in her eyes. His reaction is to tell her to loosen up and "embrace her fellow man", then he suddenly shoves a joint into her mouth, taking her off into her own hallucinogenic fantasy. The pot makes her horny. Meanwhile, outside, a pair of crows are about to rob the place, but decide to stay outside and watch what happens inside instead. A car pulls up and out comes Chita's father, who sees Fritz and Chita having sex, and blows Fritz apart with a shotgun. This violent display turns off the two crows, who decide to come back at another time.

Fritz escapes, and winds up being an orderly to Adolf Hitler. Fritz takes the form of a therapist, and analyzes Hitler, telling him that his world domination plans were just a way of trying to get attention. In the showers, Hitler "accidentally" drops his soap, and urges Fritz to pick it up, in an attempt to rape him, and ends up getting his single testicle (a reference to the song "Hitler Has Only Got One Ball") blown off. In this segment, Fritz meets his death by way of the US Army.

In Fritz's next life, the film portrays Fritz talking to the ghost of his black crow friend Duke, who was shot to death in the previous film. The film then flash-forwards to a future where New Jersey is a separate country from the rest of the United States, and has been renamed "New Africa", home to all black crows. Fritz is just starting his job as a courier, and he is asked by President Henry Kissinger to deliver a letter to the president of New Africa. In New Africa, Fritz finds a high crime rate, corruption, and violence. Once Fritz is led to "The Black House", he hears the president of New Africa and his vice-president talking about how low his popularity is, and how an assassination attempt would boost his popularity. The president refuses to get shot, but is shot anyway, because the vice president needs his president's popularity to increase so he will not lose the upcoming election. The vice-president blames the assassination on Fritz, because he is the only "white" cat in New Africa. Because of this, America and "New Africa" are at war, and Kissinger eventually admits an unconditional surrender. In the end, Fritz is shot for the crime he did not commit.

On its own, I can go "okay, it's an exploitation movie from 1974, no poo poo it's not going to be progressive." This is probably why none of this really stuck out to me (beyond the utter loving insanity of Hitler rape) on my first viewing. Going from the first movie (made by a, to my understanding, pretty openly left-leaning guy) to this, though, is jarring as gently caress.

• Locked thread