Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Ghost-Slug posted:

I love the Basara designs for taking historical elements and either subverting them like crazy or dialing them up to 11!

Shingen Takeda

SW: Wisecracking old man with a fondness for cavalry charges.

SB: RIDES ON TWO MOTHERFUCKING HORSES AT THE SAME TIME!!! YUKIMURAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Dumb Basara 4 Sumeragi question to anyone who knows Japanese: I had a message come up twice when I select the start of the anime route stages for two different characters now (Though I never can get the message to appear again after it initially appears.), and it seems to automatically change my partner character? I can easily change them back, but now I am curious about what that message says.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
Did I once read that Kanetsugu Naoe being such a joke was a dig at Koei because they're all about him or is that just a dumb Internet theory?

Either way there's another excellent contrast between versions.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

No hat??

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Tae posted:

No hat??

But one pant leg, apparently

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Wamdoodle posted:

But one pant leg, apparently

Tidus fashion.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
Who is that?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
That's Yue Ying

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
At this point I'm just glad she has a pole arm again after that stupid dart gun bullshit.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Cao Xiu, Xun Yu, Zhu Ran, Jiang Wei, Yue Ying, Wen Yang, and Zhuge Dan spotlight. Open World mechanics explored.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

I have a pet affection for this series but I'm just not sure about DW9 still. Hopefully we'll see some tangible video content sooner or later.

Death Zebra
May 14, 2014

Getting rare weapons in SW4-2 is a pain the arse. It took me 10+ attempts to get Magoichi's.The first attempt made it look like I got the weapon but wasn't awarded it after the battle, some attempts had the mission spawn without the weapon being available as a reward even though I followed the guide, one attempt was ruined by the mission spawning a minute too late, two attempts were ruined by the reward just fading away in the objective text, and the successful attempt made out like I failed but was awarded the weapon anyway (not that I'm complaining about that). It took a few attempts to get Keiji's as well and it made out like the first attempt was successful and gave no reward again. I swear the game is loving with me.

Maxing out characters is also way harder than in SW4. I looked at one characters skill board and it takes just shy of 50 special tomes and 180 each of the other types. You're lucky if you get an average of 10 of each type per battle. There are 56 goddamn characters and 61 epiphany skills. They could have at least done something to speed things up for you; exp storage like WO3, unlimited stocks of tomes in the shop, a massive bonus for having a SW4 file.

No more police brutality from Zhuge Dan:(

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i highlt suggest using a guide if you want the rare weapons, the one i found best is the one on ps trophies. for the tomes, always rush the skill that lets more tomes drop. by the time you have all the other stuff done, you will have enough tomes left over that you can max a bunch of characters. the more xp scrolls skill is essential too. dont forget to buy up all tomes in the shop after every battle

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

At least Zhu Ran doesn't have that godawful flame bow any more.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Maleketh posted:

At least Zhu Ran doesn't have that godawful flame bow any more.

This is something I'm excited about. I loved his design and wanted to play as him but gently caress playing a bow character.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

PureRok posted:

This is something I'm excited about. I loved his design and wanted to play as him but gently caress playing a bow character.

I honestly didn't have a problem with most of the bow weapons in DW9, but the flame bow was just so hard to use that it was entirely worthless.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Lunethex posted:

I have a pet affection for this series but I'm just not sure about DW9 still. Hopefully we'll see some tangible video content sooner or later.

I've only just gotten into the series, but what I've seen of DW9 still makes me skeptical. Open-world design is one those things that has gotten sort of played out in recent years, with a lot of games utilizing it without really filling the world with substantial content.

On the other hand, I'm still curious about how it'll be implemented in the grand scheme of things. The idea of being able to traveling from Luoyang to Chibi and witnessing the Battle of Red Cliffs is interesting compared to just selecting it from a list of stages. The open-world design also seems like it would benefit in depicting the movement of armies through the land and attacking castle and whatnot. That being said, I know it probably won't be as executed in the way I think it will, but I'm stil cautiously optimistic.

Needs More Jazz
Nov 4, 2009
I just want to know why they seem hell bent on getting rid of the fun weapons. I already miss Wang Yi's super-fast stabby needles and Lu Lingqi's pinwheel sword.

They're going to come for Liu Shan's naptime bench next, aren't they?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

*In extremely Capcom voice* To high level players it's really more like Function Warriors.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Probably because they're doing a brand new combat system and I'd guess TK wants to get the basic weapons down pat before they go full retard again by giving everyone fringe case unique poo poo.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

chumbler posted:

*In extremely Capcom voice* To high level players it's really more like Function Warriors.

ARGHGHGH!

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Yeah, since they revamped the combat, they basically have to re-do all the movesets again and re-tinkering over 80 unique movesets to match the new engine takes time.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I honestly don't mind too much that they removed all the weapon variety as long as the combat turns out to be actually fun and good.
Maybe throw in one unique move per character too, or something.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Jack Trades posted:

I honestly don't mind too much that they removed all the weapon variety as long as the combat turns out to be actually fun and good.
Maybe throw in one unique move per character too, or something.

Yeah, this is pretty much how I feel about it. It sucks that some of the veterans (i.e. Zhang He) lost their unique weapons but there's a bunch of people who've not even been around for 1 mainline game who lost theirs and I can't even muster any anger over it. I'm sure they'll bring back all the weird, fringe case weapons that only 1 person ever used in later spinoffs and installments (should DW9 be a success) but so long as the game is fun to play I really don't care. I would have been fine with DW6 going full quasi-realism if I didn't hate Renbu so much!

Max Wilco posted:

I've only just gotten into the series, but what I've seen of DW9 still makes me skeptical. Open-world design is one those things that has gotten sort of played out in recent years, with a lot of games utilizing it without really filling the world with substantial content.

On the other hand, I'm still curious about how it'll be implemented in the grand scheme of things. The idea of being able to traveling from Luoyang to Chibi and witnessing the Battle of Red Cliffs is interesting compared to just selecting it from a list of stages. The open-world design also seems like it would benefit in depicting the movement of armies through the land and attacking castle and whatnot. That being said, I know it probably won't be as executed in the way I think it will, but I'm stil cautiously optimistic.

There's been a bunch of stuff coming out of TGS, like full 20 minute gameplay demos and such, and it looks interesting. One of the big gimmicks is that you have your big money battles like Hu Lao or Chi Bi but there are lots of tinier battles and events surrounding them you can complete to make those battles easier, so like you could learn about a supply delivery going to Hu Lao and intercept it and then during the Hu Lao fight they may not have as many supplies so their forces aren't as strong for example. The link I posted earlier shows a lot of the smaller things going on, like tiny skirmishes and hunting and exploring cities.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Policenaut posted:

There's been a bunch of stuff coming out of TGS, like full 20 minute gameplay demos and such, and it looks interesting. One of the big gimmicks is that you have your big money battles like Hu Lao or Chi Bi but there are lots of tinier battles and events surrounding them you can complete to make those battles easier, so like you could learn about a supply delivery going to Hu Lao and intercept it and then during the Hu Lao fight they may not have as many supplies so their forces aren't as strong for example. The link I posted earlier shows a lot of the smaller things going on, like tiny skirmishes and hunting and exploring cities.

I watched one of the TGS presentations (the 50 minute one with Xiahou Dun in the first part), and I sort of figured that it worked along those lines.

The change to the weapon system I picked up on when I saw you could plant explosive pots and then pull out an bow to shoot them with. I had heard that Xiaohou Yun lost his bow weapon, which made me think that the change was done because him having two bows would be sort of redundant.

The new side-content is more what worries me. You could make a drinking game from going through Steam and finding all the games that use exploration/hunting/crafting system. It might be fine, though. It just seem like something that's drastically different from Omega Force's other work.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
Is there still gonna be couch co-op in DW9? My girlfriend and I love playing these games together, it'd be super lame if we can't do that anymore.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
They've ditched splitscreen in most of the games after Samurai Warriors 4, so I wouldn't hold my breath.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Death Zebra posted:

No more police brutality from Zhuge Dan:(

Probably the most hosed up part of all of this.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Policenaut posted:

Probably because they're doing a brand new combat system and I'd guess TK wants to get the basic weapons down pat before they go full retard again by giving everyone fringe case unique poo poo.

I'll see them in two games' time then.

This is a series that, to me, admittedly not everyone, lives and dies on its character diversity. Consolidating the movesets the way they have, while an entirely understandable move given the ambitious additions they wanted to make, has really put me off. I mean sure, "technically" they have 90 characters or whatever, but functionally speaking they have 18 characters with 5 skins each. Or however many. Even if I didn't enjoy every moveset from 8XL, it was nice having them.

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Rolling around at the speed of sound.

Epi Lepi posted:

Is there still gonna be couch co-op in DW9? My girlfriend and I love playing these games together, it'd be super lame if we can't do that anymore.

They already confirmed in some earlier article buried in this thread that they're ditching coop entirely.

Chachi
Jan 7, 2006
Blue sparks and big fucking shells.

:dukedog:

Allarion posted:

Yeah, since they revamped the combat, they basically have to re-do all the movesets again and re-tinkering over 80 unique movesets to match the new engine takes time.

Heaven forfend they take that time. Much better to do something that will piss off a lot of people, and rightly so, who are frankly astonished that they don't seem to have learned much from DW6.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"
Thing is, even DW7 (to say nothing of many of the previous games) shared movesets between characters to a greater or lesser degree. DW6 was neither the first nor the last time.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Ardryn posted:

They already confirmed in some earlier article buried in this thread that they're ditching coop entirely.

How can they be this bad

Death Zebra
May 14, 2014

Davincie posted:

i highlt suggest using a guide if you want the rare weapons, the one i found best is the one on ps trophies. for the tomes, always rush the skill that lets more tomes drop. by the time you have all the other stuff done, you will have enough tomes left over that you can max a bunch of characters. the more xp scrolls skill is essential too. dont forget to buy up all tomes in the shop after every battle

Thanks for the advice though I was already following most of it aside from beelining the tome skills.

Ardryn posted:

Welp, that's another argument against buying then. It's a shame

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
Explain how couch co-op would have worked in an open world game without running or looking like rear end. Unless they force the players to be on the same screen I don't think the consoles could handle it. They tend to have small amounts of RAM, and the more of the world they have to keep loaded into RAM, the more difficult it becomes to make the game run well.

I mean, I understand being upset about it, but it was totally expected. At least, on my part.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

I can think of maybe a few open world games with couch co-op but they're all stuff like Minecraft, Borderlands, and Ark. And considering the way games like Ark already run on PS4 I dread to see what it's like with couch co-op.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Policenaut posted:

I can think of maybe a few open world games with couch co-op but they're all stuff like Minecraft, Borderlands, and Ark. And considering the way games like Ark already run on PS4 I dread to see what it's like with couch co-op.

I hear good things about Dying Light.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

I mostly think of dumb fun shooting games like Borderlands or Mercenaries 2.

I would totally got for a lower res Co op open world DW game. They could even make the AI extra dumb.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

PureRok posted:

Explain how couch co-op would have worked in an open world game without running or looking like rear end. Unless they force the players to be on the same screen I don't think the consoles could handle it. They tend to have small amounts of RAM, and the more of the world they have to keep loaded into RAM, the more difficult it becomes to make the game run well.

I mean, I understand being upset about it, but it was totally expected. At least, on my part.

I did expect it when I heard open world but I also thought "why they gently caress are they doing open world that is dumb as gently caress" and have been hoping it's somehow a bullshit not real version of open world that keeps the only thing I play these games for. Namely, mindless minion killing with my girlfriend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Keeshhound posted:

You're gonna do all of those and not mention Nobunaga Oda?

SW - is Cao Cao.

SB - is LITERALLY A SATAN.

Late to the party on this, but I somehow never noticed until I played as him last night that SB Oda is also carrying a GIANT SHOTGUN one handed.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Oct 3, 2017