Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

I'm at 113 AA segments with probably 40 more before the end of the year

I also have 20 united segments :v:

Although getting upgrades 72 hours out is rad and I'm like 17/20 for upgrades so far since plat pro

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

I STOLE A PIE FROM ESTELLE GETTY

Cacafuego posted:

I'm at 113 AA segments with probably 40 more before the end of the year

I also have 20 united segments :v:

Although getting upgrades 72 hours out is rad and I'm like 17/20 for upgrades so far since plat pro

Yes, upgrades onto your 1 hr flights to Saginaw. :v:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

i fly airplanes posted:

Yes, upgrades onto your 1 hr flights to Saginaw. :v:

if i have to go to sag i better go in comfort

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
*sigh* departing out of D60 MIA

The D60 gates are such a poo poo show

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Waroduce posted:

*sigh* departing out of D60 MIA

The D60 gates are such a poo poo show

Are those the ones waaaayyy at the west end of the terminal? I've only been through them for a DCA trip, and they're stupid. Super far from the amex club, and even if you show up too early the security dragons want you to go through the checkpoint closest to the gate, which means a train ride or a long walk.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

I booked 2 seats MCO-LAX-SYD in J as a Saaver fare using AA miles on AA metal for next year. I'm looking forward to the experiencing the 789.

Now I have to find a flight back, but I've got a ton of United miles and Chase URs.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Are one way fares ugly? The mileage upgrade is usually pretty successful on that route.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
The difficulty is finding the availability.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I mean just buy the drat thing and put miles into the upgrade

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

sellouts posted:

I mean just buy the drat thing and put miles into the upgrade

I have plenty of miles, why not use them and not spend the money. That's what they're for

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

why is AA's website loving poo poo at multi-stop journeys gently caress you guys this isn't 1998

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

hahahah so the news today is Delta increasing the MQD waiver from 25,000 to 250,000 for Diamonds. And people are freaking out. Were there that many people flying 125,000 miles on Delta and not spending more than $12,500?

The best part is the threatening messages about them canceling their AMEX cards and switching to another carrier.. good luck? AA doesn't even waive their EQDs. And UA doesn't either for 1K.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I go confused and thought MQD was going to 250k for a second.

I'm all in favor, get these loving freeloaders out of my tier goddamn it. The MQD waiver was one of the last FT low spend high status jagoff routes left.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

i fly airplanes posted:

hahahah so the news today is Delta increasing the MQD waiver from 25,000 to 250,000 for Diamonds. And people are freaking out. Were there that many people flying 125,000 miles on Delta and not spending more than $12,500?

The best part is the threatening messages about them canceling their AMEX cards and switching to another carrier.. good luck? AA doesn't even waive their EQDs. And UA doesn't either for 1K.

AA does waive $3k / $6k of EQDs on their Barclay Aviator Red / Silver. A few EQMs as well.

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

"I hereby retire from Mafia"
Please turbo me if you catch me in a game.

i fly airplanes posted:

I'm at 123.5K miles and $7.3K MQD and its only that high because I had two paid first class tickets. This wipes out people making Diamond on international coach. Looks like 2018 will be my first and only year at Diamond because I only do 60-80K a year on my card. I'm fine with just being Platinum, it isn't worth it (see topic).

I'm still going to keep both my Platinum and Business Platinum Delta cards because the BOGO tickets are worth more than the $195 fee for me.

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

Arzakon posted:

I'm at 123.5K miles and $7.3K MQD and its only that high because I had two paid first class tickets. This wipes out people making Diamond on international coach. Looks like 2018 will be my first and only year at Diamond because I only do 60-80K a year on my card. I'm fine with just being Platinum, it isn't worth it (see topic).

I'm still going to keep both my Platinum and Business Platinum Delta cards because the BOGO tickets are worth more than the $195 fee for me.

Consider flying partner airlines if you're low on MQD. Also fly Premium Economy.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I go confused and thought MQD was going to 250k for a second.

I'm all in favor, get these loving freeloaders out of my tier goddamn it. The MQD waiver was one of the last FT low spend high status jagoff routes left.

Agreed. Dollar store Diamonds.

The fact that they can get such high status on just retarded credit card spending and no flying was dumb. All it did was encourage a bunch of people to hoard a whole ton of miles from spend and take the premium award seats.

i fly airplanes fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Sep 26, 2017

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

[quote="“Cacafuego”" post="“476776922”"]
I have plenty of miles, why not use them and not spend the money. That’s what they’re for
[/quote]

Because I thought you couldn't find availability? What I'm saying is that buying a cheap one way and spending the miles on upgrading with decent odds may be better?

I found one ways to/from hkg to be affordable for this.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

sellouts posted:

Because I thought you couldn't find availability? What I'm saying is that buying a cheap one way and spending the miles on upgrading with decent odds may be better?

I found one ways to/from hkg to be affordable for this.

Sorry, I misunderstood. I found the availability on the way there and booked it with AA miles. On the way back, there are actually quite a few united/star alliance saver business class options available depending on where we want to fly out from (Aus/NZ) and if we want to connect. I just have to narrow that down, but the options are there.

asur
Dec 28, 2012
Are mileage upgrades a separate category from mileage awards? I would expect them to use there same bucket.

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

asur posted:

Are mileage upgrades a separate category from mileage awards? I would expect them to use there same bucket.

In most cases, yes, because they are segmented into different markets.

Mileage upgrades = upgrades from revenue fares only, often fare restricted, often have co-pays, only for members of the airline
Mileage awards = awards for everybody, including alliance members of other frequent flyer programs
Elite mileage awards = awards only for elites of the program
Instrument upgrades = upgrades from revenue fares, sometimes fare restricted, only for elites of the program

All will involve different fare buckets, sometimes overlapping.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

i fly airplanes posted:

Consider flying partner airlines if you're low on MQD. Also fly Premium Economy.

Agreed. Dollar store Diamonds.

The fact that they can get such high status on just retarded credit card spending and no flying was dumb. All it did was encourage a bunch of people to hoard a whole ton of miles from spend and take the premium award seats.

Yeah it let you coast on a buffer of MQM without actually flying much at all if you were a former high-spend-high MQM person.

Arzakon posted:

that is a wild, wild split - where are you normally flying that you're only pulling 17 cents per MQM?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Man I never thought I'd say this, but Delta's regional jets were nice compared to this American A321 without power in any seat.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

that is a wild, wild split - where are you normally flying that you're only pulling 17 cents per MQM?

If they have the platinum and the business platinum cards, and hits the first $25k spend threshold on both, thats 20k extra MQMs. Double that for hitting the $50k threshold on both, so having an extra 40k MQMs on the account without the MQDs behind it will dilute that number a little bit.

edit: reviewed the numbers. $60k-$80k spend is 2 bonuses on one card, and 1 on the other for 30k extra MQMs.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

i fly airplanes posted:

Dollar store Diamonds.

What's your flyertalk username?

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

It's me. I'm a dollar store diamond.

I'm not happy about the change, but I'll be ok.

I am bummed that Hilton is dumping Citi at the end of the year. I use the heck out of their 90 day price adjustments.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Residency Evil posted:

Man I never thought I'd say this, but Delta's regional jets were nice compared to this American A321 without power in any seat.

American mainline domestic in economy goes:

737 w/ seatback > 737 w/o > MD80 > A319 > A320 > A321

They have a few random 767s, 757s, etc. which are hit or miss and not every airbus has no power at the seats. Most A321s are the old US planes with bad first seats and no power anywhere. There are like two seats in the exit rows on the A321 which are good and don't have a seat in front of them.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Residency Evil posted:

The "A" side of first class on the CRJ900 is my favorite domestic seat.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Thoguh posted:

The "A" side of first class on the CRJ900 is my favorite domestic seat.

Those seats are nice with the 1-2 arrangement. The economy bulkhead seats on that plane are the best economy seats out there if you don't care about seatback power. It's American Eagle though which has its own problems.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Cocoa Crispies posted:

Are those the ones waaaayyy at the west end of the terminal? I've only been through them for a DCA trip, and they're stupid. Super far from the amex club, and even if you show up too early the security dragons want you to go through the checkpoint closest to the gate, which means a train ride or a long walk.

Miami Airport is a pretty lovely airport for being such an International Hub. I think you're talking about the E gates which are like all the way out west further than anything else in their own special terminal that you can walk literally a mile too, or you can take a train. The terminal is old and run down af and there is a lovely kiosk and a knock off cuban bakery place there. Thats it. the walls and the carpet are nasty AF

the D60A-H (?) gates are at the end of again a very long loving walk through all the D gates (or take the sky car but its the same amount of time to walk it. I've timed it) when you get to d59 you get to go downstairs where you get one kind of conglomerate gate serving like idk 10-15 planes which turns into a mess cause lol gently caress you we dont space or stagger departures so you can have 3-5 planes boarding at the same time and through the same door and than you walk OUTSIDE through some ghetto fabulous aluminum walk ways and haul all your poo poo with you and get on the plane.

MIA loving blows.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Waroduce posted:

MIA loving blows.

I'm extremely lucky to not have to do regional travel (or fly from the United terminal, which is really similar to the E terminal and pre-2010-remodel D terminal in terms of shittiness) there, because the D gates for big-boy planes are fine, and the H terminal is pretty nice too.

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

"I hereby retire from Mafia"
Please turbo me if you catch me in a game.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Yeah it let you coast on a buffer of MQM without actually flying much at all if you were a former high-spend-high MQM person.

Some of that is rollover and two 10K MQM bonuses from the cards. But poo poo like $400 SEA-HKG-SEA and $700 SEA-AMS-SEA keep it really low.

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

Thoguh posted:

What's your flyertalk username?

it's me, i'm flyertalk

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

all right thread friends, who in here is a Star Alliance person? I'm probably doing BOS - FRA - MKE and Air Canada Premium Economy is shockingly cheap. The product looks good. How much am I going to hate myself for trying to save 30% over Lufthansa?

gruss gott

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
I flew Air Canada from BOS - TOR - MAD and it was fine. I flew business class though...

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

all right thread friends, who in here is a Star Alliance person? I'm probably doing BOS - FRA - MKE and Air Canada Premium Economy is shockingly cheap. The product looks good. How much am I going to hate myself for trying to save 30% over Lufthansa?

gruss gott

It's not like you're flying Air China, so I think you'll be a-okay.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

gruss gott

Germany seems like a weird place to connect for a domestic BOS-MKE trip!

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

DJCobol posted:

Man these mileage runs sure are a bitch

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

DJCobol posted:

Air Canada doesn't even fly to Germany from those places!

In all seriousness AC and LH Premium Econ are kind of really similar.. I think. Business, on the other hand...

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Waroduce posted:

Man these mileage runs sure are a bitch

gotta get my status!!!!

next time the dutch decide to exist i recommend that they don't live in the middle of a vast swamp that creates fog

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

I like this thing where gate agents trick scrubs into checking their bags at the gate by emphasizing that it's F-R-E-E FREE