Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

JahRoo posted:

Yeah they did all that when Madara was controlling Yagura and I guess he gave no fucks. Then Zabuza killed every other genin in his class and even the craziest crazy people in the mist knew it was bad news to keep doing that.

It was even crazier than that. Zabuza wasn't even in that class. He wasn't going to graduate for a few years, he just up and murdered the whole graduating class so he could graduate early.

Also he managed to avoid killing the people he actually knew in his actual class, which might have been an early hint at him being less cold blooded than he was pretending to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Dryzen posted:

Greetings, whoever is holding the next OP back please set it free

Is there something you wanna see in the op, or?

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

we want a new song dammit

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

dogsicle posted:

we want a new song dammit

Oh that kind of op, lol

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
https://mobile.twitter.com/WeebSimpsons/status/912345150076145664/photo/1

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

When's Sasuke coming back, he's the best character in the show

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

Salad posted:

When's Sasuke coming back, he's the best character in the show

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
When they start adapting the movie obviously!

Which will probably be next month.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
The movie takes place during the chuunin exams, and the kids aren't even genin yet. Surely it's gonna be quite a while still.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Mymla posted:

The movie takes place during the chuunin exams, and the kids aren't even genin yet. Surely it's gonna be quite a while still.

Yeah, Boruto still needs to graduate and get put on a team with Sarada and Mitsuki first (which I'm guessing is gonna happen fairly soon at this rate).

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Was the trip to the hidden mist in the manga?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the bort manga started with the events of the movie and went from there. salad gaiden was made by kishi as a standalone, as was the hokage ceremony. everything else has been anime-original, and this will continue until the anime gets to the events of the movie.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, the only manga related content so far was the flashforward at the very beginning, Salad Gaiden, and the Hokage Ceremony which was an expanded version of the final chapter of the original Naruto manga.

We're not even in the same time frame as the Boruto manga at this point (the manga is also only released monthly which would be very hard to adapt into an anime if they were playing this straight).

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

dunno if the Jump Festa OVA already made the rounds but i just watched it and it was kinda disappointing. i liked the chunky linework it had, and it was about 50% chouchou being her fabulous self, but the "fight" was atrocious. i just figured for a promotional short thing like this they'd want (and be able to) put their best foot forward for some decent action animation.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

dogsicle posted:

dunno if the Jump Festa OVA already made the rounds but i just watched it and it was kinda disappointing. i liked the chunky linework it had, and it was about 50% chouchou being her fabulous self, but the "fight" was atrocious. i just figured for a promotional short thing like this they'd want (and be able to) put their best foot forward for some decent action animation.

I didn't even know there was a new OVA, what's it about?

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Larryb posted:

I didn't even know there was a new OVA, what's it about?

boruto's genin squad is tasked with investigating some shady figures related to a contest for free potato chips/instant noodles for 3 years. so chouchou's involvement naturally follows, along with squadmates inojin and shikadai.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So we finally got a new opening theme this week and it's looking like this Kagura guy is going to be sticking around for a while past the current arc.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Larryb posted:

So we finally got a new opening theme this week and it's looking like this Kagura guy is going to be sticking around for a while past the current arc.

I think he's probably gonna be a recurring character at most. Like Gaara in Boruto's Dad's series.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Mymla posted:

I think he's probably gonna be a recurring character at most. Like Gaara in Boruto's Dad's series.

Probably, he's apparently important enough to get a spot in the new OP at least.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Chapter 17 is now out. I guess this is one way to deal with an organization that seemingly came out of nowhere, start staffing it with people who we *kind of* know already. Ao was never really a name commodity, as he was a minor player in the war. And he seemingly was killed with Shikaku off screen. This finally begins to sketch in certain potential aspects of where the plot may go though, if this is old guard ninja who potentially aren't exactly thrilled by Naruto's new world.

Ao also has other ties to potentially explore, what with his stolen Byakugan. Though I'm not exactly sure he still has that or not.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Teek posted:

Chapter 17 is now out. I guess this is one way to deal with an organization that seemingly came out of nowhere, start staffing it with people who we *kind of* know already. Ao was never really a name commodity, as he was a minor player in the war. And he seemingly was killed with Shikaku off screen. This finally begins to sketch in certain potential aspects of where the plot may go though, if this is old guard ninja who potentially aren't exactly thrilled by Naruto's new world.

Ao also has other ties to potentially explore, what with his stolen Byakugan. Though I'm not exactly sure he still has that or not.

Boruto and his Team really are the best bodyguards. The didn't even notice the huge cloaked guy right behind the guy they were protecting.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
"He threatened to stab me in the face with a screwdriver but I think he's a good guy!"

Caros
May 14, 2008

Pyrotoad posted:

"He threatened to stab me in the face with a screwdriver but I think he's a good guy!"

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The current chapter also seems to confirm that the anime and manga are in direct continuity with each other (Boruto mentions taking a field trip to the Hidden Mist back in his academy days which is of course the focus of the current anime arc).

As such, going by today's episode apparently the Curry of Life arc from the original (or Raiga at the very least) is now canon.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Oct 18, 2017

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
Summary of this chapter:

"You suck dad I'm not going on this mission."
"I guess I'm going on this mission"
"We're riding a train on a mission"

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

Larryb posted:

As such, going by today's episode apparently the Curry of Life arc from the original (or Raiga at the very least) is now canon.

I think the swordsmen were revealed in the manga (and Raiga had an appearance, so he's been canon since that appearance) but not a lot of information was given about most of their swords, other than Zabuza's, samehada, and Chojuro's. Most of the details surrounding the seven swordsmen were anime only.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

JahRoo posted:

I think the swordsmen were revealed in the manga (and Raiga had an appearance, so he's been canon since that appearance) but not a lot of information was given about most of their swords, other than Zabuza's, samehada, and Chojuro's. Most of the details surrounding the seven swordsmen were anime only.

I know his swords appeared in the manga during the Ninja War being used by his predecessor, but I don't recall Raiga himself ever making a cameo (I could be wrong though).

I suppose it could be possible that he was actually thought up by Kishimoto for some kind of supplementary material and the anime writers just decided to actually use him for a story arc.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Oct 18, 2017

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

He did, there was another flashback to Guy's dad that he appeared in.

He's one of the rare people in the original series who made the jump from the anime to the manga. The only others I can think of off hand were two Uchiha elders who appeared in a Sasuke flashback.

Teek fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Oct 18, 2017

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Teek posted:

He did, there was another flashback to Guy's dad that he appeared in.

He's one of the rare people in the original series who made the jump from the anime to the manga. The only others I can think of off hand were two Uchiha elders who appeared in a Sasuke flashback.

Ah, my mistake then. On the reverse side, there was that girl from the Sand who had a crush on Gaara. She only appeared in one panel of the manga but was expanded upon in the anime. Fu (the host for the Seven-Tails) also only had a small cameo in the manga but was fleshed out a lot more by the anime writers.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Oct 18, 2017

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Yeah, characters getting expanded roles in the anime was pretty par for the course for filler episodes.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

dogsicle posted:

boruto's genin squad is tasked with investigating some shady figures related to a contest for free potato chips/instant noodles for 3 years. so chouchou's involvement naturally follows, along with squadmates inojin and shikadai.

"Inojin" and "Shikadai" are such bad names.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

But how else would we know who they're related too? It's not like the current artstyle works well for that.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
I dunno, I think I could've hazarded a guess that Shikadai was probably Shikamaru's son even without knowing his name.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Shikadai looks exactly like Shikamaru, and Inojin looks exactly like Ino, with his genin outfit looking like how Sai dressed in Shippuden.

Chocho looks nothing like her dad, however. You'd have to know that he married Karui to make that connection.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

seiferguy posted:

Shikadai looks exactly like Shikamaru, and Inojin looks exactly like Ino, with his genin outfit looking like how Sai dressed in Shippuden.

Chocho looks nothing like her dad, however. You'd have to know that he married Karui to make that connection.

that's just because you aren't looking at her soul (bag of chips)

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
What. There is no one Chocho could be but Chouji's kid. The mom is questionable. But the kid looks 100% like a member from his clan(she's fat)

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

Ytlaya posted:

Who would notice in a generation of names like Boruto? Their parents spent so long learning how to be ninjas none of them learned how to spell.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

Eh, still better than Sakura naming her daughter "Salad".

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Salad and Bort are far better names than Inojin and Shikadai.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
normally people have last names so that their first names don't have to be minor variations on those of their parents.