Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Trauma Dog 3000 posted:

??????

Way to miss the point of the book, director.

I'm listening to the audibook now and the movie did a good job plucking a good coming of age story out of it. It's basically stand by me, with a scary clown. All the non clown stuff is great story, some of the clown stuff is ok-ish but dumb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

KoRMaK posted:

What loving book??

The book the movie is based off of.

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf

BioEnchanted posted:

Here is the strip that revealed her face for the first time, the winner was one Basil Wolverton:

Wait, really?? I've never seen that image in context before and always thought it was one of those horrible anti-Semitic caricatures.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

KoRMaK posted:

What loving book??

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Who_Censored_Roger_Rabbit%3F

Wikipedia posted:

Eddie Valiant is a hard-boiled private eye, and Roger Rabbit is a second-banana cartoon character. The rabbit hires Valiant to find out why his employers, the DeGreasy Brothers (Rocco and Dominic), the owners of a cartoon syndicate, have reneged on a promise to give Roger his own strip and potentially sell his contract to a mystery buyer. Evidence shows that there was no mystery buyer, and the reason Roger Rabbit remained in a secondary role was because of his lack of talent. Soon after, Roger is mysteriously murdered in his home. His speech balloon, found on the crime scene, indicates his murder was a way of "censoring" the star, who apparently had just heard someone explain the source of his success. Valiant's search for the killer takes him to a variety of suspects, including Roger's widow Jessica Rabbit and his former co-star Baby Herman. Eddie Valiant then meets a doppelganger of Roger's and promises to solve the mystery of his death. At the same time, his former boss Rocco DeGreasy was also murdered and, witnesses point out Roger as the killer as he was allegedly seen fleeing the scene of the crime.

While Eddie Valiant investigates, The key suspects ask him to be on the lookout for a certain kettle in exchange for a reward. He finds the kettle which was in Roger's possession and gives it to Dominic, only to find it was actually a magic lamp with a Genie who then kills Dominic. After the Genie explains its origins (as well as the reasons for its actions) and confesses to being the one who shot Roger, Eddie Valiant defeats the Genie before holding the Genie hostage over a salt-water fish tank; salt water being it's weakness. The Genie is then forced to grant a wish made by Eddie for proof of Roger's innocence which is provided in the form of a suicide letter from Dominic confessing to both Roger and Dominic's murders along with his own suicide. Not trusting the genie to keep its word of letting him go, also knowing no one would believe him about the genie, Eddie drops the Genie's lamp into the fish tank as the salt water dissolves the Genie to nothing.

With the murderer gone now, there is but one issue left to solve: Who really killed Rocco DeGreasy? Eddie Valiant finally concludes that the murderer was the original Roger Rabbit himself, who created the doppelganger to create an alibi and murdered Rocco for stealing his wife Jessica. He intended to plant the murder weapon at Eddie Valiant's office to make him the fall guy, and was killed by the Genie (who he accidentally and unknowingly summoned) in a last unknowing wish to cover up all the evidence. The doppelganger confirms the truth, and confesses that he "had it planned for days". However, for clearing his name and befriending him despite what he did and tried to do afterwards, he praises Eddie for his morals (calling him "a real stand-up guy"). Roger gives Eddie a final goodbye before disappearing.

With the talent they had, a Roger like that simply would not have worked.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
An interesting thought - How popular is Lena Hyena in Toontown, considering she's a purely comedic character with some very strong slapstick game. Was she at a speakeasy later on, talking to Betty about that great chase she had: "... and then he ripped up the road and slammed me into a wall! I full on accordianed!" "Oh that is a classic move!" "And it's been so long since I had cause to pull the telescoping kiss gag!"

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

plainswalker75 posted:

Wait, really?? I've never seen that image in context before and always thought it was one of those horrible anti-Semitic caricatures.

Basil Wolverton's entire raison d'être was drawing weird ugly freaks. I know there's a bunch of his weirdos in the Mad magazines & Heavy Metals from the 1980s that I have lying around.

dunno if he was racist, but he's an oldtimer so some "mild racism" is probably to be expected

e: I can't decide whether the newsprint makes his drawing worse or better

Carthag Tuek has a new favorite as of 02:53 on Sep 23, 2017

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

BioEnchanted posted:

An animation thing I really like is with Jessica, where you never see her second eye - until right at the end where she goes from cool-as-a-cucumber to delirious with fear at "Oh my god it's DIP! :gonk:" It's a great visual that really sells how terrifying the situation is, because for a split second she goes from a sexualised toon Femme Fatale, to what the audience finally sees as a real person - not designed, not deliberately saucy, just raw emotion that she has otherwise kept beneath the surface. It's also quite a shock to the audience because that is the only word in the entire movie that she raises her voice about, everything else, even when she's worried, is delivered in a calm demeanor, but that is the one time that she absolutely loses her poo poo.

I'm rewatching the fuckin' movie because of your posts and all the poo poo you've seen, and you're not quite right. Her hidden eye is also uncovered in the pattycake photos, and it starts to become uncovered once she starts shooting folks in Toon Town. Which is a really subtle way of implying nudity in a character who is basically 100% titillation.

I'm also learning just how tightly plotted the movie is. It's my favourite kind of movie plot, one where all of the disconnected events are fallout from one inciting incident that happened so far in the past that the connections are lost- the death of Teddy Valiant during the bank robbery, which is where Eddie became the washed up alcoholic he is today, is also where Doom got hold of all of the money he would later use to buy the election and become Judge Doom, and quite clearly the impetus Judge Doom uses to impose his tyranny in Toon Town. It's probably where Doom lost his initial set of henchmen to a laughing fit- he mentions "your cousins the hyenas" to the Weasels, and they prove themselves remarkably proficient at the old bank heist standard of drilling through walls in the finale.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The Dip is comprised of turpentine, acetone and benzene. It is a really strong paint thinner. Perfect for killing toons

Arc Hammer has a new favorite as of 06:07 on Sep 23, 2017

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Arcsquad12 posted:

The Dip is comprised of turpentine, acetone and benzene. It is a really strong paint thinner. Perfect for killing toons

They establish that Toons are made of paint in the same scene- one of the cops points out that paint from Roger's gloves ended up on the rope tied to the safe that killed Acme.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Any police officer near Toontown is given art lessons and a small pencil in case of emergencies, so that if they get caught in a "Bit" while in a hurry they can draw their way out of it. Catch a pole while falling from a building? Sidle to the wall and sketch a door to reenter it. :v:

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

DandyLion posted:

And ironically out of one fetishized genre right into another.

So does that make Cool World part of the Roger Rabbit cinematic universe?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It may be a bit more obvious in retrospect but I like near the start of the film when Eddie hitches a ride on the tram. A kid asks why he doesn't own a car: "who needs a car when we've got the best public transit in America?"

A throwaway line that becomes the main drive for Doom's scheme.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Arcsquad12 posted:

It may be a bit more obvious in retrospect but I like near the start of the film when Eddie hitches a ride on the tram. A kid asks why he doesn't own a car: "who needs a car when we've got the best public transit in America?"

The really sad part is that, in our reality, Doom's plan was carried out successfully by General Motors. No crazy toons required. :(

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Imagine an America with a robust, world class nation wide public transit systems.
Now look around at reality. :suicide:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Arcsquad12 posted:

I'm pretty sure that was also a jab at the LA county transit.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

My Big Fat Greek Wedding

It's never pointed out in dialogue, but Toula's sister gets more and more pregnant throughout the course of the movie and at the end is holding a baby.

Of course, this means that the entire movie, from meeting the guy to getting engaged to getting married, takes place in less than a year :psyduck:

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

ninjahedgehog posted:

My Big Fat Greek Wedding

It's never pointed out in dialogue, but Toula's sister gets more and more pregnant throughout the course of the movie and at the end is holding a baby.

Of course, this means that the entire movie, from meeting the guy to getting engaged to getting married, takes place in less than a year :psyduck:

Movies and TV love to accelerate normal relationship time. This bugged me in the Fargo season 1 time jump.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Plenty of people get married way too fast.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Aphrodite posted:

Plenty of people get married way too fast.

Yeah but wedding planning takes forever, especially if it's big and fat, and presumably Greek

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The Prequels get a lot of poo poo for being "so dense every scene has so much going on", but there are still a few humorous incidental moments in the background. A couple of my favorites are in Revenge of the Sith, such as R2 tripping a Droid trying to flee the bridge of Grievous's ship, or a clone trooper cold clocking a Droid when Obi-Wan take off on his lizard mount.

Whoolighams
Jul 24, 2007
Thanks Dom Monaghan

Arcsquad12 posted:

The Prequels get a lot of poo poo for being "so dense every scene has so much going on", but there are still a few humorous incidental moments in the background. A couple of my favorites are in Revenge of the Sith, such as R2 tripping a Droid trying to flee the bridge of Grievous's ship, or a clone trooper cold clocking a Droid when Obi-Wan take off on his lizard mount.

Also in Sith, a droid in the background lets his buddy know there's some cool poo poo going on.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

[quote="“Whoolighams”" post="“476932394”"]
Also in Sith, a droid in the background lets his buddy know there’s some cool poo poo going on.

[/quote]

That's loving great.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Whoolighams posted:

Also in Sith, a droid in the background lets his buddy know there's some cool poo poo going on.

while that is rad as hell, I'm like "holy poo poo can you maybe kill this dude while he's preening instead of staring at him"

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

That's loving great.

If only the main focus of the movies were as interesting and good.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

That's loving great.
Well yeah; there's no dialogue.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

while that is rad as hell, I'm like "holy poo poo can you maybe kill this dude while he's preening instead of staring at him"

What? And risk the Dark Side!?!

The Jedi are sithaphobic to a fault.

And the prequels could have been so much better. I was surprised at how little CGI was used in a movie that looks 90% fake. It took lots of effort to look like no effort.

bucketybuck
Apr 8, 2012

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

He isn't even staring at him.

Ewan McGregor standing in front of a green screen, looking in the general direction of a CGI robot that might be added in later. I can't unsee his complete lack of reaction.

littlebluellama
Jun 18, 2013

I am kind, brave and deserve love.

bucketybuck posted:

He isn't even staring at him.

Ewan McGregor standing in front of a green screen, looking in the general direction of a CGI robot that might be added in later. I can't unsee his complete lack of reaction.

exactly, if only they could have had a little robot let Ewen McGregor know something cool was happening.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

littlebluellama posted:

exactly, if only they could have had a little robot let Ewen McGregor know something cool was happening.

Or a competent director to direct the actor on how to act in the scene. Oh well.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

if only Obi-Wan had seen Raiders of the Lost Ark he'd know how to handle this sort of poo poo

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

Whoolighams posted:

This little detail is so good I have a feeling George Lucas had nothing to do with it, and probably actively fought against it.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Fruit Soup Riot posted:

This little detail is so good I have a feeling George Lucas had nothing to do with it, and probably actively fought against it.

Well, those robots don't exist in any physical form, so it was probably a bored animator waiting for the next round of notes on General Fourarms' movements and deciding to make their own entertainment in the mean time.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

if only Obi-Wan had seen Raiders of the Lost Ark he'd know how to handle this sort of poo poo

He did figure it out eventually.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Fruit Soup Riot posted:

George Lucas becomes a much better director when he has no actors onscreen and isn't using a real camera. I expect if the guy was director for a visual effects studio like Blur or something doing pure CGI work he wouldn't get nearly as much flak. Just compare the all digital camera work during scenes like Geonosis or the Battle of Coruscant where the camera sweeps around and then zoom cuts to important moments when it needs to, to scenes of dialogue being delivered with less flair than a tv sitcom.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Sounds like Lucas missed his calling in animation.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Inescapable Duck posted:

Sounds like Lucas missed his calling in animation.

It's hard to say. Lucas' directing career ran from 1971-1977 and 1999-2005 so he wasn't exactly prolific in that department, he's way more active as a producer. He did produce an animated film which was released in 2015 which was based on a story he wrote and which he'd been working on for 15 years by by most accounts it wasn't great.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSrJiaZnPuU

I seem to recall hearing that Disney agreed to distribute it as part of the deal when they bought Star Wars.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Doc Brown is rich in 1955, so he has two television sets

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I recall some of the expanded BTTF stuff has him come from a rich family, and inherited a mansion, which was either burnt down for insurance or sold off for money. In either case he's obviously not lacking for funds for his experiments, and preferring to live relatively simply in a suburban house probably helps.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
He lives in a mansion in 1955 and does experiments in the garage

in 1985 he just lives in the garage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
it's in the movie not even EU