Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak

Your Taint posted:

Doesn't he realize that *not* knowing is pretty much just as bad? How can you be that loving clueless?

(he totally knew)

Is that not the definition of lack of institutional control? I've always questioned the logic behind this argument, but that's what he keeps going with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Your Taint posted:

Doesn't he realize that *not* knowing is pretty much just as bad? How can you be that loving clueless?

(he totally knew)

Considering he'd already played the "I had no idea what was happening" card he probably shoulda gone with a different approach. But hey he was gonna get fired regardless. I guess just burn it all down with 'lack of institutional control' charges on your way out?

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but why does the FBI care if coaches are violating NCAA rules?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Sinteres posted:

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but why does the FBI care if coaches are violating NCAA rules?

People working for publicly funded orgs taking bribes is what they're going for.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Sinteres posted:

They were violating federal bribery laws. I'm sure someone else can lay out all the details, but it boils down to Adidas bribing college kids to sign with their agents/teams and assistant coaches being bribed to get kids to sign with sporting agents.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Got it, thanks.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

ch3cooh posted:

Employees of Nike EYBL have been subpoenaed.

The FBI is burning it to the ground

As a fan of a Nike school that suddenly pulled the greatest recruiting class in school history I'm :ohdear:ing all over the place right now. Although I don't think Mizzou's recruits came from that league possibly?

I follow AAU ball in that I know everyone who is good plays it and it's kind of scummy and absolutely nothing else about it.

Kanish
Jun 17, 2004

Sinteres posted:

One of the charges is listed as "Solicitation of bribes and gratuities by an agent of a federally-funded organization ", so id imagine that would incorporate alot of people in college athletics.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Add Bama to the list, apparently: their associate AD resigned and they're conducting an internal review of the basketball program.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

got any sevens posted:

I wonder if they'll have to return the bribes

They didn't break any laws or rules besides the NCAA's. Those kids are the last people that anyone involved in who wants a chance at not going down should be antagonizing.

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

Grittybeard posted:

As a fan of a Nike school that suddenly pulled the greatest recruiting class in school history I'm :ohdear:ing all over the place right now. Although I don't think Mizzou's recruits came from that league possibly?

I follow AAU ball in that I know everyone who is good plays it and it's kind of scummy and absolutely nothing else about it.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Hahaha, welp.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
So glad NC State cleared house this year now we can just forget how borderline shady Gottfried was and move on with our carefree lives. :ohdear:

(Dennis Smith Jr probably was legit since he's a lifelong State fan but goddamn if I'm not sweating it anyway. Also it would be such an NC State poo poo move to cheat and still suck.)

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

Grittybeard posted:

Hahaha, welp.

It helps that the big gets are at least from the area (Porters and Tilmon). It also helps to do a totally legal bribe of hiring dad to be an assistant.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Sinteres posted:

Also, the Adidas guy was basically committing money laundering and lying on official reports about allocation of funds, which starts getting into SEC territory (the ones with the lawyers, not the conference)

I wonder if SDSU is gonna get wrapped up in this, thats where USC hired Tony Bland from and he was already considered one of the best recruiters on the West Coast

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

elentar posted:

Also it would be such an NC State poo poo move to cheat and still suck.)

Eh it's more like they're not as good at cheating as everyone else is. Losing at college sports is almost always a moral victory in that sense.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Also tax fraud

anne frank fanfic
Oct 31, 2005
This means Baylor has a higher or lower chance of a corn fed beef fed grass grown chicken feed big boy champ this year?

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George
More good news for Arizona:

https://twitter.com/DougHaller/status/913209683963297792

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Injuries are always bad of course, but at least that is a position they have depth at.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

kiimo posted:

I was about to start listing basketball movies with puns about abortions but I got as far as Scoop Dreams before I questioned what I’m doing with my life right now

No need to build on perfection man

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

anne frank fanfic posted:

This means Baylor has a higher or lower chance of a corn fed beef fed grass grown chicken feed big boy champ this year?

Need to see the Hillary emails, they're the missing piece

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
I'm just going to ask what's going through all of you good posters' mind and ask how hosed Kansas is going to be at the end of this.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Probably Magic posted:

I'm just going to ask what's going through all of you good posters' mind and ask how hosed Kansas is going to be at the end of this.

Either every program in the country is hosed, or a bunch of nobodies are hosed and the blue bloods get away with it since they're better at cheating in this fashion imo.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

imagine if somehow this all results in a Coach K Perp Walk

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

Grittybeard posted:

Either every program in the country is hosed, or a bunch of nobodies are hosed and the blue bloods get away with it since they're better at cheating in this fashion imo.

Poor Cleveland State :(

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I don't think Iowa did anything here but I'm still willing to vacate the entire Todd Lickliter era as a good faith gesture

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!
I sure am glad Syracuse received 4 years probation and vacated 100 victories because a player made $500 at a YMCA over the summer. All while this poo poo was going on all over the country. Bahahah. I'm sure new punishments NCAA will hand down from now on will be comparable.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Grittybeard posted:

Well it's always been this "if everyone's cheating ain't no one cheating" mentality that's been more or less encouraged by the NCAA, who doesn't benefit from having their major money-making programs missing the Tournament and being branded as cheaters and losing their reputations and money-making potential. The FBI doesn't give a poo poo about whatever unwritten rules the NCAA has and if they start arresting coaches and admins left and right the NCAA's going to look dumber than they already do on a regular basis.

If your rooting interest is in the death of the NCAA and some other system being established, root for the FBI to start flipping dudes and hauling everyone under the sun in. Because if the NCAA's whole system is exposed as rotten to the core then school presidents are either going to have to dump athletics or create a new governing body, and only one of those options keeps the cash flow going.

e - christ those two paragraphs are written poorly but it's late and i'm tired so suck it

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

You might see some tweets that Greg Sankey had summoned all the SEC basketball coaches to Birmingham tomorrow to lay down the law, but turns out that was a regularly scheduled meeting.

WDIIA
Jan 14, 2006

K-I-N-G, The AU City Don
I know you heard about me
And this mission I'm on
But not a R-A-T,
I'm just tryin to live on
Not in a penitentiary
I'd rather be rollin chrome
Even as someone who was at the game where Chuck Person's number got retired I find all this completely hilarious

War drat Y'all

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

R.D. Mangles posted:

imagine if somehow this all results in a Coach K Perp Walk

when they try to put the cuffs on he completes his lifelong work of transforming into a screech owl and flies away, scot-free

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
https://twitter.com/JamieShaw5/status/913008649282473985

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Footage of Coach K escaping all charges:

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Well they hired the Porter kids' dad and paid him a shitload of money above the table, which is something the NCAA allows.

wernox
Mar 26, 2001

I gave up my OG title for this.

Grittybeard posted:

I mean, I love 'Zo but there was that time he tried to gently caress my sister so anything is possible.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

edit: Gonna wait for confirmation from more reliable sources. A journo I trust RT'd it but now I'm not so sure.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Had Mississippi State even been implicated yet?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

General Dog posted:

Had Mississippi State even been implicated yet?

Not sure I trust that source after all. I mean it wouldn't surprise me a bit, but gonna wait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

CBS reports that Pitino is Coach-2

https://www.cbsnews.com/videos/amid-recruiting-scandal-louisville-coach-rick-pitino-effectively-fired/

WSJ agrees

https://www.wsj.com/articles/louisville-fires-mens-basketball-coach-rick-pitino-1506531783

quote:

Based on cooperating witnesses, undercover agents and secret wiretaps, one of the complaints alleges that a top Adidas executive worked with sports agencies and financial advisories to bribe high-school recruits into signing with Louisville, which has a lucrative apparel deal with Adidas. Pitino wasn’t charged or identified in the criminal filings, but he appears in the complaint as “Coach-2,” people familiar with the matter said.

• Locked thread