Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Studio
Jan 15, 2008

exquisite tea posted:

Ruiner looks cool and something I would have definitely played on Day 1 if you could play as a chick with a cyberbow, since there's no option for that it's a firm wait for sale.

This is also a good take.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Wait, how is gravity rush 2 like yakuza?! Do you do tons of wacky sidequests

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

You do sidequests of varying degrees of whackiness. It's not really much like Yakuza I just couldn't think of another Japanese open world game that wasn't a straight RPG.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Studio posted:

This is also a good take.

"Can play as a chick w/ bow" basically adds a full letter grade to any video game, proven fact.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
"Huh my backlog is full of indie games, I'll be sure to get through it quick" and here I am 30 hours of Hollow Knight later

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
"Heat Signature seems like a good quick romp" I say before spending nearly an entire weekend doing space piracy.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

"i love to play hundreds of hours of eu4" and then i do

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Oh poo poo I need to figure out how to actually play this

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Nina posted:

If you don't have a Saturn emulation is pretty great these days. If you do you can get a Action Replay cart and flash it with Pseudo Saturn to let you boot burned discs, or you can do it the old fashioned way and pull the swap trick with a burned copy of the patched game

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Samuringa posted:

Horizon: Alloy hides in that specific red folliage because it's the only one that camouflages her hair. That's my headcanon.

Also, I figure that might be a plot point somehow? All the tribes are very multicultural, they got white, black, asian, but Alloy is the only one with distinctively red hair; plus the fact that her birth was a mystery. Or am I just missing every single ginger NPC in the game?

Keep playing, the story does a very good job of answering every potential question and loose end that comes up.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

I hope that in the DLC they let you wear and equip the Thunderjaw lasers. That's my literal headcannon.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

In Training posted:

If you don't have a Saturn emulation is pretty great these days. If you do you can get a Action Replay cart and flash it with Pseudo Saturn to let you boot burned discs, or you can do it the old fashioned way and pull the swap trick with a burned copy of the patched game

Just trying to hunt down the ISOs. The only source I found was an Utena forum that doesn't host them anymore

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Samuringa posted:

Horizon: Alloy hides in that specific red folliage because it's the only one that camouflages her hair. That's my headcanon.

Also, I figure that might be a plot point somehow? All the tribes are very multicultural, they got white, black, asian, but Alloy is the only one with distinctively red hair; plus the fact that her birth was a mystery. Or am I just missing every single ginger NPC in the game?

Oh my goodness! I am so happy to see more people playing Horizon :D It is my game of the year and one of my top ten all time games!

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I feel like playing Zelda first made me take a long break from another open world thing so fast. I'll get around to playing Horizon again after I'm done with Ruiner/Dishonored/Kingdom Battle/Golf Story/Persona 5(lol). Hunting and fighting is extremely good and probably has the best combat in any open world game in a long long time. If you could use a bionic commando grappling hook to scale things too then it would be a perfect game.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

DLC Inc posted:

I feel like playing Zelda first made me take a long break from another open world thing so fast. I'll get around to playing Horizon again after I'm done with Ruiner/Dishonored/Kingdom Battle/Golf Story/Persona 5(lol). Hunting and fighting is extremely good and probably has the best combat in any open world game in a long long time. If you could use a bionic commando grappling hook to scale things too then it would be a perfect game.

Same here. I tried out Horizon and like it, but was kinda open world'd out. I'll probably buy it once the big DLC is out for it.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
Pinball FX3 was just released and it lets you transfer over almost all the tables you already own, but your scores don't come with them. So now I need to sink a quick 100 hours playing every table and recording decent scores on the leaderboards so I can feel complete again. This is not helped by the new categories of single player - classic and single player - bells and whistles that includes selectable powerups that hinge off a light RPG mechanic. There's still no "random table" button which remains the one thing FarSight did with The Pinball Arcade that I wish was included in the PFX games.

I'm really interested in Heat Signature but I can wait for it to hit a little sale first. I feel like it's a game I'll play for a few hours and never again.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

DLC Inc posted:

Toukiden 2 is an open world(ish) hunting and fighting game with a grappling hook. It also has bows.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

VideoGames posted:

Oh my goodness! I am so happy to see more people playing Horizon :D It is my game of the year and one of my top ten all time games!

Horizon is one of those rare games for me where I just find every single moment to be enjoyable. Usually if I try to replay a game there's always at least one weak part that I'm dreading, but I've got through the whole thing 3 times now and really have no problem 100%ing everything. Mass Effect 2 was the same way.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I've owned myself by getting DR3 a day early (here) when I can't download the Japanese voices til tomorrow.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Nina posted:

you'll need ssf and a compatible cd drive emulator, because for some reason despite years of improvements on saturn emulation later the utena vn has hosed up audio on anything other than ssf, and ssf is like the one emulator that doesn't have a dedicated way to load isos without putting them in your computer's disc drive or loading them in a virtual drive and not every program for that is compatible with it for some asinine reason.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Aside from things like Nethack, Mass Effect 2 is the only game I've replayed in excess of two times. I don't know what it is but yeah it "just clicks" and almost every moment of it is enjoyable. It's a very lean game in that regard. I don't really feel like it's ever wasting my time.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

The Colonel posted:

you'll need ssf and a compatible cd drive emulator, because for some reason despite years of improvements on saturn emulation later the utena vn has hosed up audio on anything other than ssf, and ssf is like the one emulator that doesn't have a dedicated way to load isos without putting them in your computer's disc drive or loading them in a virtual drive and not every program for that is compatible with it for some asinine reason.

I managed to figure it out but thanks still!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Why isn't there a fan TL for the PS1 Lain game??

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

there is, but its a website with everything translated instead of a patch for the game

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

precision posted:

Aside from things like Nethack, Mass Effect 2 is the only game I've replayed in excess of two times. I don't know what it is but yeah it "just clicks" and almost every moment of it is enjoyable. It's a very lean game in that regard. I don't really feel like it's ever wasting my time.

The first hour of ME2 should be studied by developers in perpetuity for how to properly open a game. In the span of 60 minutes you're introduced to all the principal characters, the main threat, the flow of dialogue and combat, and all the mysteries that will drive the story onward over the next 35 hours. Everything just moves with such forward momentum that once you get going it's impossible to put down.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Gah

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

its audio log: the video game, so this is probably fine http://laingame.net/

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

mass effect 2 is bad

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Nah, it's really good, especially compared to Andromeda or Inquisition (and I like both those).

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Pd2CX-2tvc

well poo poo time for me to get a PS4Pro

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

oddium posted:

mass effect 2 is bad

it's the best mass effect

but yes, you are correct

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

you walk down the same hallways and shoot the same reskinned enemies for 30 hours. it doesn't matter what weapon you use or what your powers are, you just slog through and hope a funny crew member cutscene saves you before you die of boredom

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

i give mass effect 2.... a 5.5/10 [fog horn]

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Taintrunner posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Pd2CX-2tvc

well poo poo time for me to get a PS4Pro

If it doesn't have the people as animals/animals as people glitch it's dead to me

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Mass Effect 2 is the last good game Bioware made before a fuckin 7 year slog of goddamn atrocities that have grown increasingly worse with time. Everything else has been uniquely terrible, Dragon Age Inquisition being the most offensive of the lot (in how it failed at every single fuckin' thing it attempted) before Andromeda came and poo poo out wet diarrhea all over the entire fanbase.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Can I be a cowgirl yet

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

precision posted:

I very rarely replay games but notable exceptions are New Vegas and Alpha Protocol, both that I finished and immediatelly began another playthrough to try different routes and gameplay styles. Also Sleeping Dogs that doesn't have any of that but it's still great.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

exquisite tea posted:

"Can play as a chick w/ bow" basically adds a full letter grade to any video game, proven fact.

this is why ms pac man was so successful

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Zetsubou-san posted:

this is why ms pac man was so successful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I'm watching Branching Paths, the documentary about the modern Japanese indie game scene and its cool. It's sort of like Indie Game: The Movie, though it provides a broader look at the subject than that film's more intimate look at the Braid/Fez/Super Meat Boy developers did.

• Locked thread