Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Raskolnikov38 posted:

bush without the jingoism of the post-9/11 era is about on par with trump

I mean sure the Iraq War wasn't going to swimmingly at the time, but the economy was mid-housing bubble.

I dunno I feel like the role of sexism in motivating the GOP base to turn out 2 million stronger than in 2012 has been underplayed on the left. "Trump that Bitch" because a one of my coworkers favorite things to say to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Re bandwidth btw I still think nationalizing the whole industry is the only way to unfuck it but that would cause an even bigger civil war than nationalizing healthcare would

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

I don't think I've thought, "Bernie, rethink this," unironically, but here we are.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

You don't go to the SCOTUS with the bad dems you want, you go to the SCOTUS with the bad dems you have.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

zegermans posted:

You don't go to the SCOTUS with the bad dems you want, you go to the SCOTUS with the bad dems you have.

Well yeah I don't want any bad Dems

So the set of bad Dems I want is empty

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

loquacius posted:

Well yeah I don't want any bad Dems

So the set of bad Dems I want is empty

In a 5-0 decision,

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

https://twitter.com/maxblumenthal/status/913236934566318080

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zas posted:

i still think she's pretty good as far as extremely old powerful people go

that's not the point, it's this fuckin' grift culture where a bougie white woman can slap blackness as a cultural signifier of cool onto a rich and powerful white woman and get a book deal out of it. this is one of the occasions where "cultural appropriation" actually serves a purpose to explain this phenomenon

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

zegermans posted:

I mean sure the Iraq War wasn't going to swimmingly at the time, but the economy was mid-housing bubble.

I dunno I feel like the role of sexism in motivating the GOP base to turn out 2 million stronger than in 2012 has been underplayed on the left. "Trump that Bitch" because a one of my coworkers favorite things to say to me

Zegermans, think back on who the 2012 GOP nominee was - a Mormon from New England who'd approved of Obamacare on a state level and looked like The Smiler from Transmetropolitan.

Yes, weirdly, a racist reality show host turned out more Republicans than that.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
That statement from the CA Attorney General also shows that all the DHS is worried about is a port scan.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Probably Magic posted:

Zegermans, think back on who the 2012 GOP nominee was - a Mormon from New England who'd approved of Obamacare on a state level and looked like The Smiler from Transmetropolitan.

Yes, weirdly, a racist reality show host turned out more Republicans than that.

I feel like that reinforces my point that a sexist racist idiot rallied the base far more than a GOP elemental

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

zegermans posted:

In a 5-0 decision,

Same outcome as 5-4.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
in an all consuming corporate environment that is so pervasive in every facet of american life, the very fabric of my reality is being torn asunder by brand identities, as im spread thin, showing off my brand colors in order to establish my values and self-worth, as well as a mode of stifled communication that corporate donors are only interested in hearing, i.e. brandspeak.

"Racism is -"

Nike: ah bup bup bup

:sweatdrop: *holds up pink t-shirt and reads from cue card, deadpan-like* "Won't you buy this t-shirt, it is to show solidarity for breast cancer and it will make you aware that breasts too get cancer. Note the tasteful swoosh logo emblazoned on the upper left corner, proven to increase your performance both on the field and off."

Nike: :hai:

"But what about healthcare so that people can afford chemothera-"

Nike: ah bup bup bup :nono:

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

zegermans posted:

I feel like that reinforces my point that a sexist racist idiot rallied the base far more than a GOP elemental

What about Romney says "classic Republican candidate" to you.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Probably Magic posted:

What about Romney says "classic Republican candidate" to you.

The part were he was for cutting taxes, reducing regulations, and boosting national defense spending.

No one gives a poo poo about him being a Mormon because their religion has been adapted to the point that it's practically theocratically codified US patriotism.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Taintrunner posted:

that's not the point, it's this fuckin' grift culture where a bougie white woman can slap blackness as a cultural signifier of cool onto a rich and powerful white woman and get a book deal out of it. this is one of the occasions where "cultural appropriation" actually serves a purpose to explain this phenomenon

oh sure, thats all true

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
*wearing pink nike t-shirt* I have come here to chide you for your ignorance and that by not buying this t-shirt, I am obligated to shame you for not empowering women who have struggled with breast cancer and have survived. You are a sexist and a misogynist.

"But if we had better access to healthcare, we would be able to help all kinds of people, including those with breast cancer, decreasing the mortality rate for everyone :sun:"

Wow, as devoted as I am to the breast cancer awareness cause, something that I have personally placed priority over because I have invested time and money into it, I have to call you out for marginalizing the cause. It was my time, and my money that has gone up in smoke and you refuse to acknowledge this, you have essentially spit on me and my corporate master. I will not be denigrated like this, and I would like to see your corporate master on this matter as I would like to lodge a formal complaint. This level of sexism and misogyny levied against my brand value will not be tolerated, because I have spent too much time and money itself supporting this, as required by contract to my corporate master.

"What the gently caress. :chloe: Get away from me."

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Kerry would have been a substantially better president than anyone running in 2016 (with few exceptions) but lord was he terrible at campaigning.

I think people are resistant to acknowledge things like the role of sexism or voter suppression or whatever the gently caress Russia actually did or Trump not actually being a complete pushover because those things are being used (or perceived as being used) to absolve Hillary of her own mistakes. The reality is that all that poo poo happened AND that Hillary hosed up bigly.

I feel like we've largely solved the Hillary hosed Up problem but we're way behind on, say, undoing voter suppression.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Joementum posted:

That statement from the CA Attorney General also shows that all the DHS is worried about is a port scan.

It's so insanely easy to exploit peoples' semiliteracy on tech stuff.

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Skeptics already knew this, but holy gently caress did we all get a good brainwashing by the IC and media.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Hot Take: I don't think the constant painting of Trump as generally incompetent is a good idea. Is he a shrewd policy wonk playing 9-dimensional political chess? Absolutely not. Is he a good campaigner? Very much yes. Whoever runs against him in 2020 should take him seriously. He is good at showmanship and that counts for a lot in a popularity contest.

Bonus Take: One of the biggest mistakes the Clinton campaign made was under-estimating him.

deadgoon
Dec 4, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Lastgirl posted:

how about instead of dividing people further with more spaces and bubbles

we start popping ridiculous ones

i agree

end the gbs/dnd/cspam divide!!!!!!!

Al!
Apr 2, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

deadgoon posted:

i agree

end the gbs/dnd/cspam divide!!!!!!!

ive always agreed with this but the gbs ppl cant spend much time outside of their safe spaces

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

docbeard posted:

Kerry would have been a substantially better president than anyone running in 2016 (with few exceptions) but lord was he terrible at campaigning.

We could have avoided a second Bush term if he discovered Power Balance bracelets sooner.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

One of the things I've learned in the last couple years is that "competence" as an abstract concept doesn't matter nearly as much to a campaign as the commentariat seems to think.

It was the main thing HRC had going for her -- she was seasoned, she was serious, serious people took her seriously, etc. She generated such an aura of competence that a lot of people didn't even care what she wanted to do with it. I heard so many Clinton supporters compare the election to a job interview attempting to find the most "qualified" candidate it was ridiculous.

But once you get outside the primary, which those same people tried super hard to remove policy and ideology from entirely, people care less about how qualified you are to do whatever you want and more about whether the things you want will benefit them. It's not a job interview. We can't count on them to act as we want, like a prospective employee, because the president's orders will not come from us. Otherwise political parties would be completely irrelevant.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Al! posted:

ive always agreed with this but the gbs ppl cant spend much time outside of their safe spaces

sadly, they'll have to wear diapers and hazmat suits :smith:

but as long as that is advocated for, we can strive for equality in this world :sun:

cspam with alcohol aides and d&d with joke books and hallmark cards perhaps

then the spaces are all balanced and everyone is on the right terms to contribute

Al!
Apr 2, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Lastgirl posted:

sadly, they'll have to wear diapers and hazmat suits :smith:

but as long as that is advocated for, we can strive for equality in this world :sun:

cspam with alcohol aides and d&d with joke books and hallmark cards perhaps

then the spaces are all balanced and everyone is on the right terms to contribute

im wearing my nike gbs dnd cspam unity shirt, and its accompanying color coded livestrong bracelet. i support all brands that carry this message

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

Calibanibal posted:

i too wish george washington had lost the siege of new yorktown

:hfive:

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Al! posted:

im wearing my nike gbs dnd cspam unity shirt, and its accompanying color coded livestrong bracelet. i support all brands that carry this message

i knew the democrats were right to hedge their bets on corporate donors

brands really get that universal message across

we're all jest consumers and we outlive our value if we don't keep spending, and im glad that we're fighting for more spending power instead of basic human rights

this complex system, it sustains posting brands too and heals the divide eventually

*adjusts my c-spam rhinestoned beer cup in front of gbs and d&d to entice them to be envious and questioning their self-worth materialistically*

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

http://www.twitter.com/TulsiGabbard/status/913070791796895746

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Frijolero posted:

Yeah, but, like, it's like legal :shrug:

legality is defined by whoever has the most guns

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

TULSI!!!

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

zegermans posted:

romney ran against obama

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Can't wait for Tulsi to use her dark Hindu magic to kill all Muslims on earth, because I'm a racist leftist lol Awooo!

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Hot Take: I don't think the constant painting of Trump as generally incompetent is a good idea. Is he a shrewd policy wonk playing 9-dimensional political chess? Absolutely not. Is he a good campaigner? Very much yes. Whoever runs against him in 2020 should take him seriously. He is good at showmanship and that counts for a lot in a popularity contest.

Bonus Take: One of the biggest mistakes the Clinton campaign made was under-estimating him.

All of this is 100% correct. And that is not something I often say about your posts.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

steinrokkan posted:

romney ran against obama

Sexism is more insidious and subsurface than racism. We're just now getting around to having words like b---- and c--- being absolute no-go words, while n------ has been at that point for decades. Hell, Antonin Scalia didn't even think the 14th amendment applied to women. For every person that has extremely not racist opinions about affirmative action you'll fine two that have the same type of very serious opinions about feminism.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

zegermans posted:

Sexism is more insidious and subsurface than racism. We're just now getting around to having words like b---- and c--- being absolute no-go words, while n------ has been at that point for decades. Hell, Antonin Scalia didn't even think the 14th amendment applied to women. For every person that has extremely not racist opinions about affirmative action you'll fine two that have the same type of very serious opinions about feminism.

Seems like it is in fact much more open and explicit then. Anyway, level of manifestation doesn't make one's handicap more crippling than the other's. Integrating racial antagonisms into ever more abstract political propositions has been a Republican strategy for decades, designed explicitly to give Republicans an avenue of attracting people with a racist agenda without being called out.

steinrokkan has issued a correction as of 17:29 on Sep 28, 2017

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/JoyAnnReid/status/913406489443864576

:allears:

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/NaveedAJamali/status/913408256474624000

shallow optics is all these fuckin' grifters care about

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Taintrunner posted:

https://twitter.com/NaveedAJamali/status/913408256474624000

shallow optics is all these fuckin' grifters care about

maybe because he's more worried about helping people than making sure his shirt is well-pressed by his in house slaves

• Locked thread