Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Hunt11 posted:

Just saw HeirofCathrage draw a line of where he wanted his lord to move. Could you always do that or is this something new?

It's been in for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

the campaign ai loves to force march into range of your army and just lose their armies constantly. not a fan of the campaign ai in this game.

still a fan of the game overall but I don't think I'll be playing the campaign as much as I did in TWW1. I'll just do online battles.

SSJ_naruto_2003 fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Sep 28, 2017

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Anyone know if DX12 mode is actually optimized yet?

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

Hunt11 posted:

Just saw HeirofCathrage draw a line of where he wanted his lord to move. Could you always do that or is this something new?

Shift and drag. Been in since Attila

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

RentACop posted:

Coop has ritual, though you have to play as the same race as your partner

I have to imagine the TW:W2 Co-op vortex campaign won't be near as cool because with the exception of the Dark Elves each half of the faction starts on different continents. It works really well in TW:W1 where you can generally start with two factions near each other that can support each other's flanks or generally are working toward the same goal (See: Vampire Counts and Von Carstein, Any of the Bret factions and/or Empire, Greenskins and Skarsnik, Wood Elves and basically anyone else).

I think it was said on the stream with coop vortex campaign both players collect ritual resources independent of each other and only one of them does the ritual at a time (though both get the ritual benefit of successful rituals), so it's not even like you pool your resources or anything. It'll probably work best if one player abandons his starting area and pushes toward his partner, one of them focusing on getting to and maintaining all the ritual sites, the other focusing in on economy sites and having fuckhuge armies to help guard the former.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
So far Skaven seem pretty fun, I'm just starting out with them.

So their racial combat gimmick is they get better combat performance when there's a ton of them, but when their leadership tanks they get speed bonuses, I love it. I also really like how Queek gets some armor piercing options in his skill tree. He'll be very interesting vs the dwarves in the grand campaign, since it seems like the Skaven are better suited for dealing with Dwarves compared to Greenskins; they get more opportunities to ambush, can summon up units to disrupt missile troops, and spread corruption around.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
You can trade ritual resources so that's how you do coop

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
Oh man, I love the sound that a squad of Silver Helms make when it crunches into a pack of fleeing Chaos Warriors

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
How balanced did they really make the food mechanic? Because having an excess of food isn't nearly as beneficial as being severely short on food; for example the Leadership bonuses you get for having surplus only benefit you in your own territory, but the potential penalties are factionwide. The global bonus to growth will be nice now that you can potentially settle anywhere, but late game I'm not sure if it is as useful as other things or more things on top of this. My guess is late game you would be using that excess food to summon more rats in big battles, than hoarding it for the bonuses.

My other concern is the AI. It seems like stifling Skaven food production can basically cause their empire to implode. Once they get into the red, they start heavily getting penalized not just on public order and leadership but also income. This just seems like it would cause them to go into a downward spiral and get knocked out much quicker than other factions.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=D56CckqlsB4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D56CckqlsB4

The Chad Jihad fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Sep 28, 2017

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Holy poo poo the auto-resolve dynamics between Lizardmen and Skaven are ridiculous. I ran a level 2 garrison plus emergency lord against two stacks of Skaven; the Saurus lord killed 900-something rats and won a Pyrrhic, what the gently caress.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

the campaign ai loves to force march into range of your army and just lose their armies constantly. not a fan of the campaign ai in this game.

still a fan of the game overall but I don't think I'll be playing the campaign as much as I did in TWW1. I'll just do online battles.

Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if their hot fix was to let the cpu retreat across the entire screen again, even when caught in force march :smith:

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

toasterwarrior posted:

Holy poo poo the auto-resolve dynamics between Lizardmen and Skaven are ridiculous. I ran a level 2 garrison plus emergency lord against two stacks of Skaven; the Saurus lord killed 900-something rats and won a Pyrrhic, what the gently caress.

This is in general. I auto resolved a skaven vs. dark elf battle. The skaven general ended up killing 400+ dark elfs.

Also, basic dark elf infantry is hot garbage.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
I played for about an hour this morning and definitely saw some weird behavior when I was playing as Skaven by the Lizardmen. They would come in to my territory and then just sort of wander around. I get that they can't actually see that the city isn't just ruin, but you'd think when a skaven army pops out of it they'd have some way of guessing that maybe, just maybe, there's a bunch of rats in there.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

God drat, they saved the best trailer for last apparently. :prepop:

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Checked the stats and found out Blessed Saurus Warriors have nearly a 1:1 non-AP/AP damage ratio; keep those units alive and they'll kill any melee infantry 1v1 thanks to their ridiculous stats and immunity to vigor.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
I don't suppose there's any point in enabling the "campaign introduction" if you're familiar with the first game and how it works? I figured I'd look at it before I left for work and it's mostly started out with a ton of basic tutorial stuff: if it's all that and not much about what's changed from the first game then I might as well restart when I get home and play Teclis like I actually wanted.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Pendent posted:

I played for about an hour this morning and definitely saw some weird behavior when I was playing as Skaven by the Lizardmen. They would come in to my territory and then just sort of wander around. I get that they can't actually see that the city isn't just ruin, but you'd think when a skaven army pops out of it they'd have some way of guessing that maybe, just maybe, there's a bunch of rats in there.

Nobody (even Lizardmen) wants to go rooting around in garbage because of the off-chance of finding a horde of rats ready to eat them. Better to just patrol around and tell their bosses 'Nothing here!'

Also, they're wise to the fact that there are always 'More Rats Where That Came From'!

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Deakul posted:

How high are these elves exactly

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Lizardmen are pretty unpleasant to fight in Queek's campaign, killed all the high elves about and Krog-gar or whatever his name is just marched through all of the Skaven to my east and attempting to attack him did not go well, usually I roll with defeats but I think he'll just march right on through the rest of my settlements with how easily he won that fight. The game called it a "close victory" but each of his basic spearmen dudes had 200ish kills each and his kroxigars had another 200.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Deakul posted:

Yeah they did, God drat.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

thebardyspoon posted:

Lizardmen are pretty unpleasant to fight in Queek's campaign, killed all the high elves about and Krog-gar or whatever his name is just marched through all of the Skaven to my east and attempting to attack him did not go well, usually I roll with defeats but I think he'll just march right on through the rest of my settlements with how easily he won that fight. The game called it a "close victory" but each of his basic spearmen dudes had 200ish kills each and his kroxigars had another 200.

I'm hard-pressed to find a unit that can beat Kroq-gar's Saurus spam in the first 30 turns; doesn't matter if you can send endless swarms of rats at him when his dudes can pretty much kill them all without breaking a sweat. Relying only on your single Warpfire Thrower and Rat Ogre isn't going to work, I figure.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Went with Teclis first. His incredibly varied army composition is 2 bolt throwers, a Noble, and 16 Sea Guard.

If you pump their skill lines and techs, Sea Guard get pretty ridiculous (83 melee defense?!). Picking up a hero with a random trait to beef up their stats even more helped. Main issue is that they get tired pretty quickly firing their bows, but it's still definitely the most effective pure ranged setup I've seen in TWW, and I regularly end up getting thousands of kills against Lizadmen/Skaven with under 100 casualties on hard. The amount of arrows flying through the air at any given time puts Wood Elves to shame. I really should add at least one cav unit to deal with all this Skaven artillery though.

Vargs fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Sep 28, 2017

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Is Saurus spam going to be a problem outside the one LL? Or is it pretty much just him and his bonuses.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

can you not press space bar to speed up your campaign animations anymore?

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

thebardyspoon posted:

You'll probably want to get warpfire and globadiers out as early as you can. If you're fighting them with the earlygame massed clan/slave rats vs sauruses they *will* body you. Sauruses will bully pretty much any other race's basic infantry in ways you could not imagine. Their saving grace though is that Lizardmen really don't have an early game answer to skaven ranged, skink javs don't have the ammo capacity to really put pressure on dedicated skaven ranged units and their cav is still some of the slowest cav in the game. Gutter Runner throwers can dance outside of most of the lizardmen's movement range, and the tried and true tabletop strategy of "Tie them up with clan rats and burn everyone with warpfire" tends to work pretty well.

The fact that Krok Gar starts with a heavens skink priest probably doesn't help things much. That breath spell turbo fucks swarmy units like skaven and zombies but good.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

nopantsjack posted:

can you not press space bar to speed up your campaign animations anymore?

It’s r now for some reason

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

toasterwarrior posted:

I'm hard-pressed to find a unit that can beat Kroq-gar's Saurus spam in the first 30 turns; doesn't matter if you can send endless swarms of rats at him when his dudes can pretty much kill them all without breaking a sweat. Relying only on your single Warpfire Thrower and Rat Ogre isn't going to work, I figure.

it's one thing I worry about in terms of campaign longevity; much like how in unmodded 1 greenskins consistently got their poo poo pushed in by the dwarves to the point the hardest part of Karl Franz's quest was finding some greenskins available to kill, rats look like they are going to need some love in the autoresolve calculations to ever be relevant in the hands of the AI.

an army of five thousand rats against 800 lizards being a very winnable battle for the lizards owns, mind, but their lineup screams for a Nasty Skulkers-like to help solve the problem of Some Of Our Enemies Wear Armor at tier 1.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

It’s r now for some reason

phew thank you

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Ze Pollack posted:

an army of five thousand rats against 800 lizards being a very winnable battle for the lizards owns, mind, but their lineup screams for a Nasty Skulkers-like to help solve the problem of Some Of Our Enemies Wear Armor at tier 1.

Warplock Jezzails could very easily be that unit so I have high hopes for the Skaven dlc

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

DeathSandwich posted:

You'll probably want to get warpfire and globadiers out as early as you can. If you're fighting them with the earlygame massed clan/slave rats vs sauruses they *will* body you. Sauruses will bully pretty much any other race's basic infantry in ways you could not imagine. Their saving grace though is that Lizardmen really don't have an early game answer to skaven ranged, skink javs don't have the ammo capacity to really put pressure on dedicated skaven ranged units and their cav is still some of the slowest cav in the game. Gutter Runner throwers can dance outside of most of the lizardmen's movement range, and the tried and true tabletop strategy of "Tie them up with clan rats and burn everyone with warpfire" tends to work pretty well.

Yeah I was in a bit of a rush anyway and assumed his spearman were just like any other spearman. I'll give it a go when I get back in tonight but if not I might have to go back a turn or two and not declare war on him. He's taken the city that'll give me warpstone so I definitely can't leave him too long but should be able to grab a few globadiers and warpfire guys.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Are you guys suggesting Globadiers for killing the Kroxigor and Stegadon, or also because their grenades are the nearest and quickest thing you can get to ranged firepower that can kill things fast? Warpfire Throwers need both a tier 4 and tier 3 buiding, and that's going to be a nightmare to rush.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I've been enjoying commanding the Lizardmen - unfortunately my computer an only run it for an hour or two at a time before overheating. But when it runs, it's magnificent.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Did they take out the option to have the campaign camera zoom in instead of only going up/down? I can't see it anywhere.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
Yes, fighting the Lizardmen as an early game Skaven is a nightmare. Managed to beat one of his armies with a combination of artillery and suicide bomber clan rats (summoning clan rats in the middle of their army before using the warp explosion ability on them is hilariously powerful), but now I have to deal with his main stack. Also am stuck at war with the island HElves and their three full stacks.

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

"When life gives you ghosts, you make ghost-robots"

I think this is a philosophy we can all aspire to.

Holy poo poo I love the skink's voice in the Lizardmen intro. That's a good lil lizard priest that is.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Was that Chakrax they were referencing in the intro?

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
How do you aim spells?

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

anyone know if you can recruit mazdamundi if you start as kroq gar?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

nopantsjack posted:

anyone know if you can recruit mazdamundi if you start as kroq gar?

no, but you can confederate him if he's managed to gently caress up real bad