Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

LordAbaddon posted:

How so? I'm all for hating on magic "personalities" but I prefer my dislike to be well-informed and nuanced.

Because his wacky brews drive up card prices despite not being very good. For example, Darksteel Reactor spiked on the 21st, which, coincidentally, is when he published Darksteel Reactor Beatdown. Liege of the Tangle popped up on MTGO shortly after the 3rd.

I mean he couldn't make people give a poo poo about Blood Funnel but there are limits to what a person can do.

Also the only time it was funny was 34 Rhinos during the time Skill Rhino was improving magic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

Looks sweet but I just can't shake the feeling that those 2 Samuts could be, like, a lot of other cards that would all be better.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

sit on my Facebook posted:

Looks sweet but I just can't shake the feeling that those 2 Samuts could be, like, a lot of other cards that would all be better.

There is a similar list with two Chandras, Torches of Defiance maindecked near it, but Samut does have the advantage of making Carnage Tyrant smash in for 14 instead of 7, possibly with haste due to Huntmaster, and triggering your own Ripjaw Raptor's enrage.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
Also if you get to her ult it probably feels good to drop two Tryants onto the battlefield for free.

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference
So what y'all are saying is I need to buy 40 more insult // injury for when it pops off in a saffron olive deck.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

bigperm posted:

So what y'all are saying is I need to buy 40 more insult // injury for when it pops off in a saffron olive deck.

Nah man you gotta go deeper, send him a budget list built around insult//injury

Rides Naked
Jun 4, 2006

Program, Whale, Program

bigperm posted:

You jest but I've been financing my modo drafts by guessing which bulk he's gonna make spike from week to week.

Still waiting for Realms Uncharted though.

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

Wasn't the same thing happening when Travis Woo would post some nonsense deck, like Ninja Bear Delver or Omnidoor Thragfire?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

CellBlock posted:

Wasn't the same thing happening when Travis Woo would post some nonsense deck, like Ninja Bear Delver or Omnidoor Thragfire?

Yeah, and I've been waiting for Saffron Olive's sex tape or neonazi tats to surface too.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

CellBlock posted:

To be fair, Omnidoor Thragfire was the only worthwhile thing Travis Woo has ever given the world, and it didn't really lead to much of a spike because the expensive cards were expensive already.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Thing is, if you care enough about "MTGFinance" (I don't) you can pretty much predict what he's going to bring out for budget standard.

You know at some point he won't be able to resist the "10 treasures win the game" card so just buy 10 or so and pay for a few drafts when he janks it out.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

There is a similar list with two Chandras, Torches of Defiance maindecked near it, but Samut does have the advantage of making Carnage Tyrant smash in for 14 instead of 7, possibly with haste due to Huntmaster, and triggering your own Ripjaw Raptor's enrage.

Samut is bad. If you have a planeswalker and are attacking with a Carnage Tyrant it's pretty likely you've won the game already.

RG dinos seems okay but mostly a worse Temur. It is a huge dog to Approach, Temur's creatures go over it, and it doesn't feel terribly advantaged over RR.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Carnage Tyrant is also bad. Don't play RG dinos.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Chill la Chill posted:

I've been waiting for Saffron Olive's sex tape .

Same.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

The Shortest Path posted:

Carnage Tyrant is also bad. Don't play RG dinos.

it only dies to wraths and edicts so i think it is in fact...goods

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

gif Probst posted:

Or you know, two creatures with 3 power blocking it.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

Samut is bad. If you have a planeswalker and are attacking with a Carnage Tyrant it's pretty likely you've won the game already.

RG dinos seems okay but mostly a worse Temur. It is a huge dog to Approach, Temur's creatures go over it, and it doesn't feel terribly advantaged over RR.

I agree that the match against Approach seems, on paper at least, having never actually played it, probably pretty bad. Heroic Intervention might be a thing worth considering. Strong disagree that Temur's creatures go over it. Ripjaw not dying to Glorybringer is pretty huge, your guys are all stupid big and you can go way faster with Huntmaster. These lists not using Raptor Hatchling or Magma Spray feels wrong. I'd also be on fewer lands and fewer huge 5+ drops what with eight mana dweebs and 4 Commune. Not having at least 4x Ferocidon and 3-4x Hatchling is probably wrong, you gotta be ready to play a fair game too when they merc your mana dorks. Getting my Huntmaster killed and looking at 3 five-drops in my hand feels pretty bad

sit on my Facebook fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Sep 28, 2017

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

gif Probst posted:

Also Settle the Wreckage

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

Chill la Chill posted:

Yeah, and I've been waiting for Saffron Olive's sex tape or neonazi tats to surface too.

Also when will we see SO's likeness on a magic card?
The dude on Harnessed Lightning is supposed to be Wu right?

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

gif Probst posted:

It also dies to losing the game to Desert Red before you can cast it.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god

TheKingofSprings posted:

Also Settle the Wreckage

I keep thinking if the usual thing happens at the first open of a new standard - lots of aggro and creature-based strategies - Settle The Wreckage could be a powerhouse.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

does RU control splash for Settle?

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
Are we all seriously under the impression that Settle is a good card? Is my card evaluation that bad (probably)?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Are we all seriously under the impression that Settle is a good card? Is my card evaluation that bad (probably)?

Against an aggressive deck it's definitely good.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

I agree that the match against Approach seems, on paper at least, having never actually played it, probably pretty bad. Heroic Intervention might be a thing worth considering. Strong disagree that Temur's creatures go over it. Ripjaw not dying to Glorybringer is pretty huge, your guys are all stupid big and you can go way faster with Huntmaster. These lists not using Raptor Hatchling or Magma Spray feels wrong. I'd also be on fewer lands and fewer huge 5+ drops what with eight mana dweebs and 4 Commune. Not having at least 4x Ferocidon and 3-4x Hatchling is probably wrong, you gotta be ready to play a fair game too when they merc your mana dorks. Getting my Huntmaster killed and looking at 3 five-drops in my hand feels pretty bad

Sometimes you run over Temur and sometimes they run over you with an 8/8 cub or Confiscation Coup. They have an edge on consistency IMO because of Rogue Refiner always drawing and Harnessed Lightning being a terminate, and because if the board stalls they have GloryB or Scarab God along with their creatures that can grow.

Post a list if you want, but playing a bunch of relatively low impact cards in a midrange deck without a good card draw mechanism seems mediocre at best.

Settle is a great card. Sure it ramps your opponent, but what are they going to do with the mana that's worse than killing you with the creatures they already played? That logic reminds me of when Path to Exile was spoiled and a number of people thought it wouldn't be good. It answers hard to answer threats, it's a wrath on turn 4, it's hard to play around because of the threat of Glimmer, Cast Out, Fumigate, or Approach. It's not a fit for every deck but it's great in any deck that can hold up mana and is winning if the opponent isn't swinging with every creature they can every turn.

Tom Clancy is Dead fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Sep 28, 2017

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

It'll be even better in Modern than in Standard, because you can probably get a person to the point where they run out of basics easier.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Zemyla posted:

It'll be even better in Modern than in Standard, because you can probably get a person to the point where they run out of basics easier.

I think it's much less of a card in Modern than in standard.

Good wraths exist in Modern.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Being instant speed and exiling is pretty nice against a few things in Modern. Notably affinity, since it hits bl/inkmoth nexus.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Tainen posted:

Also when will we see SO's likeness on a magic card?
The dude on Harnessed Lightning is supposed to be Wu right?

i don't think we've had player likenesses on a card since snapcaster

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Wrath to exile is just probably not good enough for modern. I don't think it would be good enough even if my opponent didn't get to search for lands.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god
It may not be good enough. Since it's just attacking creatures, if you use it once, your opponent will know what you're on about and will be more judicious with their attackers. However, I do think the instant speed mass removal could prove very powerful at least for standard. If only there were a way to get some sort of Grand Melee effect.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Path to Exile is known to be a bad card so I'm sure this is also bad.

InterrupterJones posted:

It may not be good enough. Since it's just attacking creatures, if you use it once, your opponent will know what you're on about and will be more judicious with their attackers.

I mean, this is exactly what you want as a control deck.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Settle the wreckage will have a hard time finding a place in modern because the decks that want board wipes are already on supreme verdict or anger of the gods and the rest of the format is too busy thoughtseizing or thought-knot seering it out of your hand to care. The only deck legitimately scared of it is probably affinity but there are plenty of artifact sweepers out there for much more efficient mana costs that do the same thing so nothing has changed for them.

Edit: I am however excited for it for approach decks since, provided its good and my u/b pirates prediction doesn't pan out, that is probably the deck I want to be on for the upcoming standard.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

LordAbaddon posted:

Settle the wreckage will have a hard time finding a place in modern because the decks that want board wipes are already on supreme verdict or anger of the gods and the rest of the format is too busy thoughtseizing or thought-knot seering it out of your hand to care. The only deck legitimately scared of it is probably affinity but there are plenty of artifact sweepers out there for much more efficient mana costs that do the same thing so nothing has changed for them.

Edit: I am however excited for it for approach decks since, provided its good and my u/b pirates prediction doesn't pan out, that is probably the deck I want to be on for the upcoming standard.

The only deck I see maybe wanting it is Death and Taxes but it has the downside of them probably attacking before tapping out so they'll usually be able to search anyway. It might be better than Dusk // Dawn in the sideboard I guess.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

who was that mtg finance guy who bought a shitload of vengevines and then lied about vengevine going up UP UP and was a huge idiot jackass

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
Listen folks I'm willing to be wrong about Settle being good enough for standard but Path to Exile it surely ain't, come on now

Like, its four mana and the creatures have to be attacking. Those are serious downsides

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

rabidsquid posted:

who was that mtg finance guy who bought a shitload of vengevines and then lied about vengevine going up UP UP and was a huge idiot jackass

Dunno - but my favorite bullshit mtgfinance move was the Dramatic Entrance in modern tournament wins that someone forged to spike the card. Bought out the card on MKM, then they made two fake top 8's, submitted it to a couple of sites and somehow got it up there and dailymtg even listed it on their site. It triggered action on the card

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

suicidesteve posted:

The only deck I see maybe wanting it is Death and Taxes but it has the downside of them probably attacking before tapping out so they'll usually be able to search anyway. It might be better than Dusk // Dawn in the sideboard I guess.

I don't think D&T wants this in a sideboard over Dusk//Dawn anyway. I guess it's ok against elves and maybe merfolk? Elves is a pretty bad matchup.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Dehtraen posted:

Dunno - but my favorite bullshit mtgfinance move was the Dramatic Entrance in modern tournament wins that someone forged to spike the card. Bought out the card on MKM, then they made two fake top 8's, submitted it to a couple of sites and somehow got it up there and dailymtg even listed it on their site. It triggered action on the card

Efficient market hypothesis.txt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference
For the SaffronOlive haters, is there anyone else who does (janky and/or budget) deck techs and then actually plays them?