Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Samuringa posted:

I very rarely replay games but notable exceptions are New Vegas and Alpha Protocol, both that I finished and immediatelly began another playthrough to try different routes and gameplay styles. Also Sleeping Dogs that doesn't have any of that but it's still great.

Oh yeah, I've played (most of the way) through Sleeping Dogs like 4 or 5 times now. Aside from being fun as hell, the story/voice acting is choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
I think I'm somewhere around the mid-twenties number of runs of VTMBloodlines. I don't think anything else even comes close for me.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I've replayed MGS 1-4 dozens of times each but the way Peace Walker/Phantom Pain are structured make me never want to replay them (even though I love them both)

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

There are a lot of games I really like that I have no desire to replay, but I do like to watch LPs of other people for their reactions during the most shocking + emotional scenes.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Help Im Alive posted:

I've replayed MGS 1-4 dozens of times each but the way Peace Walker/Phantom Pain are structured make me never want to replay them (even though I love them both)

yeah I agree, I loved MGSV to death but doing all those time locked things to get cool tools and materials takes a while. It's the same reason I'd never replay Witcher 3 or Persona; those games were excellent but they're like 60 to 70+ hour epics that I couldn't do again unless I was on a deserted island or something.

Strangely though I'd replay Zelda again in like a year if only because I never even beat 2 of the 4 dungeons and never found stuff like Tarrytown before beating Ganon, either

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
hmm... the amount of times I've played through nightmare in dreamland + extra moda + meta knightmare on all three save files...

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Saint Freak posted:

I think I'm somewhere around the mid-twenties number of runs of VTMBloodlines. I don't think anything else even comes close for me.

I didn't go that far but I did do full playthroughs of Venture, Malkavian, Nosferatu, Tremere , and Toreador, and saw all the different endings

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Shorter games you can play over and over again are awesome. It's why I've beaten zero mission dozens of times

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

In the days before Youtube you had to beat Eternal Darkness three times to see the true ending which was just a 20-second cutscene with "you got played" voice-over narration.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I didn't go that far but I did do full playthroughs of Venture, Malkavian, Nosferatu, Tremere , and Toreador, and saw all the different endings

Yeah, but now you have to do them all again with all the different restored content mods and with different builds.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I almost never replay games with a few notable exceptions. Alpha Protocol though I played through 4 times.

There are so many games that tout how different choices can change your experience but Alpha Protocol loving went for it in a way no other game has as far as I'm concerned. Plus it's like 10 hours long so it lends itself well to multiple playthroughs. Some of these games that are like 100 hours long may have some things that can change but who the hell has the time to find out?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i've done like five saint runs of dead rising, big boss rank + all kerotan frogs of mgs3 at least twice. probably majora's mask a few times

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I think for a lot of choice-based narrative games, the knowledge that situations could have been resolved differently is more compelling than actually seeing them all play out. I'll probably never replay Until Dawn but I did have fun going to the wiki and reading up on all the possible permutations.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
I'm still playing Mordheim and really into it. It's slow and stressful. Every turn feels like it counts. The early periods of fog of war are worrisome. The optional objectives are generally in direct contradiction to your main goal "rout the other team" because if you win before completing them you don't get the reward. This means you can ramp the difficulty up and down for yourself. Some missions I'm trying to keep the other team alive but contained so I can pick up the last collectible thing. This is risky because if I do it wrong I can incur long term injuries. Sometimes I'm on the knife edge of losing so I'm just trying to kill enough people to drop their morale before the finish off my valuable unit with a sliver of health.

Before I said there is no strategy layer but now I'm more realizing that the game has put the strategy layer into the tactical layer and they are pushing and pulling one another.

Also I went to do one of the story missions and it said it would be "Normal" and this was a lie that it told me and my whole squad got wiped. But a wipe in this game is not as brutal as a wipe in XCOM and the head of my order gave us a speech about getting back out there and trying again which was nice.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

exquisite tea posted:

I think for a lot of choice-based narrative games, the knowledge that situations could have been resolved differently is more compelling than actually seeing them all play out. I'll probably never replay Until Dawn but I did have fun going to the wiki and reading up on all the possible permutations.

Yes! It's the whole "I'm not really a hero unless I had the option to be a villain" which is part of why it's so unsatisfying to find out that a decision you agonized over turns out to have not actually been all that significant and the person was going to die either way within a scene or two.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

PantsBandit posted:

I almost never replay games with a few notable exceptions. Alpha Protocol though I played through 4 times.

There are so many games that tout how different choices can change your experience but Alpha Protocol loving went for it in a way no other game has as far as I'm concerned. Plus it's like 10 hours long so it lends itself well to multiple playthroughs. Some of these games that are like 100 hours long may have some things that can change but who the hell has the time to find out?
New Vegas I've replayed so many times despite usually just settling for the Good NCR ending

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
The saga of YouTube screwing creators to try to get a buck out of advertisers continues. You now need to enable ads to link to external sites (e.g. Patreon).
https://twitter.com/innuendostudios/status/913418338507935744

I guess this is less of a problem when all your vids get tagged as advertiser-unfriendly by a robot anyway.

Dr Cheeto fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Sep 28, 2017

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

achillesforever6 posted:

New Vegas I've replayed so many times despite usually just settling for the Good NCR ending

House Supremacy

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

doingitwrong posted:

Yes! It's the whole "I'm not really a hero unless I had the option to be a villain" which is part of why it's so unsatisfying to find out that a decision you agonized over turns out to have not actually been all that significant and the person was going to die either way within a scene or two.

I like when you can read about a decision point and it remains impressive even once you know the underlying mechanics behind it. The rooftop scene in Life is Strange Ep. 2 is still impactful and tense even when you already know all the right answers because of the emotional stakes involved.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
SWERY's new game will have Cat Edition and Dog Edition

quote:

The cat and dog versions of characters will have different abilities, meaning The Good Life will play differently. Naomi the cat can climb and explore small passages. Naomi the dog can dig or follow smells. The two versions’ online multiplayer will be compatible. When you visit the separate multiplayer world, you can scratch or leave cricket corpses for friends as a a cat or mark territory and scare sheep as a dog.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

https://twitter.com/ingmarbirdman/status/207475510454927360

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
That reminds me, I hope that game where you play as a cat in the walled city ever comes out

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Is it even going to get made

it's not going to get anywhere near it's goal on that fig thing

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Whoa whoa whoa

Cat Game has multiplayer?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

that game is not gonna get funded so I hope swery can make the game without kickstarter

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

homeless snail posted:

that game is not gonna get funded so I hope swery can make the game without kickstarter

:(

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

achillesforever6 posted:

Grapplejack posted:

House Supremacy

Anyone ever try to align with Caesar?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Wamdoodle posted:

Anyone ever try to align with Caesar?

The one and only time I playe NV I went with Caesar

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
You monster

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

the only thing that should be aligned with caeser is bullet from the super sniper

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

I like when you can read about a decision point and it remains impressive even once you know the underlying mechanics behind it. The rooftop scene in Life is Strange Ep. 2 is still impactful and tense even when you already know all the right answers because of the emotional stakes involved.

It's one of the few times in the game where your choice actually has meaningful, permanent consequences that aren't undone or made irrelevant by time travel fuckery later on (You also only have one shot at getting it right, which makes it even more impactful on the player).

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

There's actually quite a lot of variation among all the possible decision paths throughout Life is Strange, but it usually manifests in really subtle ways you wouldn't expect. Like for example you can get Max suspended from Blackwell, or make it from really easy to almost impossible to peacefully resolve the Frank confrontation.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Not even close :shepface:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
https://twitter.com/CJacobsSA/status/913468650362949632

Sorry guys I can't post about video games anymore the Local Cops are coming for me

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Post the to do list

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

man what are the odds of you and that twitter guy having the same name

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

In Training posted:

The one and only time I playe NV I went with Caesar

I have only played New Vegas up to the part where you encounter their concentration camp so I know that's hosed up

CJacobs posted:

https://twitter.com/CJacobsSA/status/913468650362949632

Sorry guys I can't post about video games anymore the Local Cops are coming for me

what happens when you call that number

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Help Im Alive posted:

Post the to do list

Then my course schedule and some console cheats for the evil within. Would you also like to see me play my definitely not pirated copy of Mass Effect 1

Cowcaster posted:

man what are the odds of you and that twitter guy having the same name

I have a tip for you from a professional: don't use your real name online, it has brought me nothing but suffering. I don't regret it though because cjacobs is a cool name

codenameFANGIO posted:

what happens when you call that number

This is a good question I should do this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

It's true

• Locked thread