Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Riposte is always a good idea. There is nothing in this video game more satisfying than the enemy taking a swing and your dude just going OH YEAH WELL CHECK THIS OUT, BLAMMO for a 20 damage crit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

It's a terrible idea in the scenario they just mentioned

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Always.

edit: That said, it is a marginally less good idea against enemies that do more damage to marked heroes, which can be mitigated by having a high enough dodge to never ever get hit :c00l: and furthermore-

aw nuts

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Sep 28, 2017

White Coke
May 29, 2015
Attacking Wilbur, an idea so bad your heroes tell you it is.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Sounds weak as poo poo imo be a man and damage rush the Piggy Royal

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
Yeah, his big buddy pretty much crush you instantly if you do. Don't hit Wilbur.

Iceclaw fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Sep 28, 2017

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

immediately slay the small pig

the real power behind the throne

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Yeah there are few clenches in this game quite like a riposte Wilbur kill

Still the lil squealer deserves it

Zhulik
Nov 14, 2012

The Montreal Star
The first time I fought the Swine Prince my vestal 1-shot Wilbur with a critical hit stun. I was then treated to all 4 heroes yelling at me to stop hitting the little one amidst all the enraged flailing. I got out of it with a single affliction and no deaths.

When I fought the Swine King, I did the fight the "right" way. Wilbur squealed two people to death as my entire party failed to kill him for four turns after the big guy went down.

Do with this anecdote as you will.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Hey, at least you get the achievement for it!

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Update on this,

Bad Seafood posted:

Thought I'd boot this game up again, only Steam's telling me I'm "Missing file privileges" and won't let me install the game. Anyone familiar with this bug?
I finally got the game working again, though I'm not entirely sure how I fixed it. In any case, not a permanent lock-out, so that's good for anyone else who encounters this problem.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
Yeah, Swine King gets a move that does a ton of damage to all 4 heroes and can stun them, even with a stun resistance buff, if you kill Wilbur first. Thank god my hellion got like 2 crits on him before i riposted wilbur to death.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.

Bad Seafood posted:

Update on this,
I finally got the game working again, though I'm not entirely sure how I fixed it. In any case, not a permanent lock-out, so that's good for anyone else who encounters this problem.

FYI, it seems to be an issue with Steam and an intel process I can't remember right now. Either shutting it off with Task Manager or rebooting your computer fixes it. Usually.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Just started playing this game. Per the first page of advice I've been mostly doing the Short 'easy' runs and surviving by stacking my party with heals and stuns. If a hero doesn't bring a stun, a heal, corpse clear (or at least something that removes bleed/blight/stress), then they don't get to come on our superfun adventures.

That said hero balance seems kinda weird. Like the Vestal seems to be absolutely necessary between her 3 different types of healing skills and a stun ability. Then there's those that are basically support heroes but can't heal, or don't heal as well as the Vestal or Occultist. Like how am I supposed to use an Antiquarian? Or why would I use an Arbalest over a Houndmaster? Or a Hellion over a Leper/Man at Arms/Crusader?

I'm enjoying myself but it feels weird to ignore like 1/3rd of the hero roster.

Makaris
May 4, 2009

Away all Goats posted:

Or a Hellion over a Leper/Man at Arms/Crusader?

:crossarms:

Edit:. Hi thread.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
Antiquarians are the only truly bad class in combat but they're there to effectively increase your profit margins since they let you stack more valuables and find their own valuables if you let them search curios. Some people will also argue the jester is bad which is pretty valid since he's definitely the second weakest character., but he can still dish out some damage.

Arbalest deals way better single target damage than houndmaster, and has the ability to clear marks and cure bleed/blight. She has a camping ability that makes her in to a nice boss killer too.

Hellion is a ridiculously reliable damage dealer that can attack any row (Iron Swan is her back row attack and can only be used from the front-most position though), she's good in any party comp against almost any enemy.

HundredBears
Feb 14, 2012

Away all Goats posted:

That said hero balance seems kinda weird. Like the Vestal seems to be absolutely necessary between her 3 different types of healing skills and a stun ability. Then there's those that are basically support heroes but can't heal, or don't heal as well as the Vestal or Occultist. Like how am I supposed to use an Antiquarian? Or why would I use an Arbalest over a Houndmaster? Or a Hellion over a Leper/Man at Arms/Crusader?

The hero balance is certainly imperfect, but once you master the game, you'll likely end up agreeing with the thread consensus that only the Leper and Jester are truly bad. To add to what Count Uvula said: the Vestal is indeed amazing, and the only hero that's a strong addition to almost any team. However, her stun falls off later into the game (you want an accuracy trinket to guarantee that it hits, at least one stun chance trinket to compensate for its low base stun chance, at least one healing trinket to help with her core role, and maybe a speed trinket because speed is so important to stunners, but you only have two trinket slots) and she's not always the best choice for specific boss fights where you benefit from an especially high damage output. The Arbalest's healing skill pairs very well with other weak healers as well as the unreliable Occultist, so she can be a better choice for those boss fights.

The Hellion, meanwhile is the queen of front-line heroes. Some people will make the case for the either the Man at Arms or the Flagellant in his role as overpowered DLC hero, but neither of them have Barbaric YAWP!, strongest stun skill in the game. The action economy of stunning two enemies with one skill is extraordinary. On top of this, she has high speed (for a front-liner), base damage beaten only by the Leper and Abomination (both with substantial drawbacks), and the only skill in the game that hits rank four with a full damage attack from rank one (valuable in both a typical fight and multiple boss fights).

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

Away all Goats posted:

Just started playing this game. Per the first page of advice I've been mostly doing the Short 'easy' runs and surviving by stacking my party with heals and stuns. If a hero doesn't bring a stun, a heal, corpse clear (or at least something that removes bleed/blight/stress), then they don't get to come on our superfun adventures.

I'm enjoying myself but it feels weird to ignore like 1/3rd of the hero roster.

Some heroes are obviously better than others, it really depends on what you're looking for.

Examples: Antiquarians are great for building up your money stores due to their passives of finding antiques and allowing you to hold more money per stack.

Arbalests are great back line heroes, they can heal, do a lot of damage, mark and multiattack.

Hellions are actually quite amazing due to their ability to attack every rank and they are very flexible as well.

Once you start playing more and experimenting more, there are some setups that are surprisingly effective.

Example: I beat the last boss of the Crimson Court with 3 Man-At-Arms and 1 Grave Robber and barely got hurt.

Rhaegar
Jul 16, 2006
I'll just leave this here.

https://twitter.com/darkestdungeon/status/913778264547528704

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Amazing!

EDIT: although now the problem is how to transfer my save.

Also, we somehow missed this as well. Backstory for the Flagellant (he just wanted to be friends with everyone! :3:)

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Sep 13, 2022

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

oh so he likes being hit? can't say that's ever come up before

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST
The comic reminds me of the scene from Fight Club where Lou, the bar owner where Fight Club has been hosted, beats the ever-living crap out of Tyler Durden, and he ends up being able to continue using Lou's basement.

Not one of their better backstories, imo. Maybe Shieldbreaker lady will have a cooler one, with her missing arm and snakes and what not.

The Plague Doctor's was really good, though.

Jedah fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Sep 30, 2017

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Jedah posted:

The comic reminds me of the scene from Fight Club where Lou, the bar owner where Fight Club has been hosted, beats the ever-living crap out of Tyler Durden, and he ends up being able to continue using Lou's basement.

Not one of their better backstories, imo. Maybe Shieldbreaker lady will have a cooler one, with her missing arm and snakes and what not.

The Plague Doctor's was really good, though.

It also shows his tremendous ability to heal having teeth knocked out of his face (somehow). Maybe he's secretly Wolverine?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
The Flagellant is the horniest hero

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I like the comic. To me the comic is conveying that the Flagellant invites brutality in a way that shows brutal people that being overly violent is really hosed up. He's fine with being hosed up because he's the Flagellant, but the guy beating on him in the comic obviously did not handle this revelation as well.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

the comics show peoples lowest ebb, or the point where they are catapulted onto the route that takes them to the hamlet

ergo the flagellant in the game is the black-bearded dude, who has converted after beating and beating on another flagellant and getting laughed at.

alternatively he has regrown his tooth somehow and his lowest ebb was getting in a bar fight (???)

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Note that exactly one (1) of the characters in the comic is depicted with a hand slathered in bright, oozing blood.

It is not the beggar.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

ergo the flagellant in the game is the black-bearded dude, who has converted after beating and beating on another flagellant and getting laughed at.

If that's the case, the comic is better than I gave it credit for. It just doesn't seem very clear who the Flagellant is supposed to be. :confused:

I'm gonna go with your theory because it's good.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
Earlier, the last three frames weren't there. That's where the confusion came from.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Drewjitsu posted:

Amazing! "Nice surprise round...holy poo poo all of your guys are stressed the gently caress out! Wait, what?! Niiiiiiiiiiice."

EDIT: although now the problem is how to transfer my save.

Also, we somehow missed this as well. Backstory for the Flagellant (he just wanted to be friends with everyone! :3:)

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

the comics show peoples lowest ebb, or the point where they are catapulted onto the route that takes them to the hamlet

alternatively he has regrown his tooth somehow and his lowest ebb was getting in a bar fight (???)

Ah, fair enough. I like that explanation too, but I also like the idea that while everyone else was drawn down a path of darkness, the Flagellant was always a weirdo.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

lol, DJF, the mods really did change your name after you requested it.

I'd steal your old username but you're much funnier than I am, it would be obvious I was a cheap knock-off.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Re: the flagellent, the cracked tooth and shards of glass trinkets, along with the flavour text "we're all falling apart..."are somehow relevant to the comic as well.

I think the flagellent is the dude who beat up the robed figure, and kept the tooth he knocked out and the shattered beer bottle as trinkets.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Drewjitsu posted:

I think the flagellent is the dude who beat up the robed figure, and kept the tooth he knocked out and the shattered beer bottle as trinkets.

Huh, I didn't think of seeing that way, drat.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

I like your explanation but it could just be "this is the first time he realised pain feels awesome", which set him on the path etc

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

yeah it could be that as well

previously he was just popping a semi each time someone gave him a coin; now he's moved onto the strong stuff

e: wait, the chipped tooth is clearly a molar, and he had an incisor knocked out...

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
I have grown tired of conventional extravagance, so I present to you my guide to Advanced Lepercraft.

THE LEPER
http://darkestdungeon.gamepedia.com/Leper

The Leper is the second-most maligned character in the game, and he certainly isn't very flexible. However, what he does he does very well - be a brick, and hit everything* harder than everyone else.
*some rank restrictions may apply

PROS:
-highest base damage in the game.
-highest hp in the game.
-highly self-sufficient due to self-heal and self stress-heal.
-highest stun resistance in the game.

CONS:
-can't hit ranks 3&4 with normal attacks.
-very vulnerable to shuffle effects.
-no stun.
-low accuracy.
-low bleed resist.

Lepers have a very high movement resistance, but that doesn't help much since the most common shuffle effects (Surprise, Ambush, Shambler, Confusion Spores, etc.) don't even check for it. None of their skills work in ranks 3 and 4, so they're left slowly advancing back towards rank 2 when something like that happens. You can't really mitigate this weakness, but having less rank-dependent teammates helps.

COMBAT SKILLS: Chop / Hew / Solemnity / Withstand or Intimidate

Chop and Hew are straight-forward; These two skills utilize the Leper's high base damage, and having both of them means you don't have to overkill low-hp enemies. I often leave Withstand inactive until stress starts to pile up. Intimidate lets you finish off weak rear rank enemies and has a decent debuff.

For the Leper, there are three phases in each fight: 1) there's something in the front ranks you want dead. 2) there's nothing worth hitting in the front ranks, but the rear ranks are dangerous. 3) the recovery phase after you've killed the biggest threats. 1) and 3) are exceedingly simple. You have strong attacks and strong recovery skills. 2) is the tricky part, and it could be argued that most fights start that way, as rear rank enemies tend to be more dangerous than frontliners. If you have a Leper in the party, you have to acknowledge that you're committing to killing the front line first and disabling the rear ranks, rather than vice versa, and play to that strategy. Due to that, the absolutely best partner for a Leper is a stun-specced Plague Doctor who can double-stun the rear ranks, stun, shuffle and corpse clear all in one, and also cure the Leper's frequent bleeding. Since the biggest strength of the Leper is his high damage, attacking is what you want to do most of the time. Using other skills while you have a valid target in front of you is something you only want to do when there's a real good reason to.

Intimidate can be good on nasty damage dealers with Prot, like the Swine Skiver or Chevalier. However, it's fairly unreliable unless you're using a Debuff Amulet, which hurts your damage output. But you can simply use it for the option to finish off low hp enemies. Sometimes it can be worthwhile to buff your bleed and blight resist with Solmenity at the start of combat rather than dealing damage right away. Or you can try to draw some fire with Withstand, though self-marking is much less reliable at protecting teammates than Guard skills. These tend to be edge cases.

Purge is crap; it does piddly damage, front rank enemies have very high move resist, and there's no move trinket that's worth using. If the front ranks are corpses, heal or stress-heal yourself or Intimidate the rear ranks. Even Chopping down a corpse is better than wasting a slot on this skill. Apart from the final boss fight gimmick, Revenge is only useful if you take your Leper to Shrieker fights, in order to get the Corvid's Eye quirk. There, you can use it if the Shrieker is in the rear ranks when the Leper's turn comes up. Otherwise, you're simply better off hitting stuff or healing/buffing yourself with other skills.

CAMPING SKILLS: Encourage (or Wound Care) / Bloody Shroud / Reflection / Quarantine.
You want to use Reflection every time you're camping. It's great, and the reason why you often can do without Withstand for stress management. Let the Mask Down is trash in comparison. Bloody Shroud wouls be nice for the bleed resist buff, but it's usually too expensive. Quarantine is a very good stress reduction ability, and you can heal back the damage in combat easily. Remember, the Leper gets two extra resting points from his district building.

TRINKETS: Sun Ring and Ancestor's Pen. Debuff Amulet if you want to use Intimidate a lot.
Completely straight-forward. Sun Ring and Ancestor's Pen are the best trinkets for a melee damage dealer. With both of these, Chop will crit for 47 damage, Hew for 29. Debuff Amulet is an option, if you're willing to accept the trade-off. More accuracy would be nice, but trinkets are not the way to get it.

QUIRKS:
Corvid's Eye, if you can get it, as this eliminates his accuracy penalty almost completely. Natural Swing is a decent enough substitute. Slugger and Precise Striker to boost your damage even further. Clotter is decent to shore up your weakness.

COMPOSITIONS
Plague Doctor is your best friend. You will need the rest of the team to control the rear ranks, and pick up the slack when you get shuffled, so keep that in mind.

Props to Makaris for the format.

Hannibal Rex fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Oct 1, 2017

HundredBears
Feb 14, 2012
As one of the most recent to malign the Leper, I'd be remiss not to point out that low speed is missing from the list of cons. It's a painful drawback: he stands a chance of missing in the first round and being out-sped in the second, leaving him having contributed literally nothing to a fight until after all the enemies have had two chances to act. It won't happen most of the time, but since Darkest Dungeon is much more about minimizing the probability of things going horribly wrong than optimizing for when things go well, it's worth taking into account.

Hannibal Rex posted:

COMPOSITIONS
Plague Doctor is your best friend. You will need the rest of the team to control the rear ranks, and pick up the slack when you get shuffled, so keep that in mind.

Could you go into more detail here? Plague Doctor compositions always leave me struggling to fit in both healing and stress healing, and skimping on the latter seems especially bad in a party that kills the back ranks last.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

HundredBears posted:

Could you go into more detail here? Plague Doctor compositions always leave me struggling to fit in both healing and stress healing, and skimping on the latter seems especially bad in a party that kills the back ranks last.

Although it isn't a great skill overall, PD's Emboldening Vapours helps the Leper's low speed. At max rank, it adds +33% DMG, +7 SPD. In a longer battle or a boss fight, this can be quite beneficial. Just make sure your Leper has trinkets with +accuracy, Sun Rings are ideal.

PD's Disorienting Blast is the key skill when combo'ing with the Leper. PD stuns a target, and corpses get cleared. So, sometimes a stress witch hiding in the back will be shuffled forward, and any corpses preventing the Leper from attacking are cleared out. This is a must-have skill if you're using the two classes together, imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Hannibal Rex posted:

THE LEPER

TRINKETS: Sun Ring and Ancestor's Pen. Debuff Amulet if you want to use Intimidate a lot.
Completely straight-forward. Sun Ring and Ancestor's Pen are the best trinkets for a melee damage dealer. With both of these, Chop will crit for 47 damage, Hew for 29. Debuff Amulet is an option, if you're willing to accept the trade-off. More accuracy would be nice, but trinkets are not the way to get it.

Sun Ring + Crescendo Box (or Ancestor's Ring if I felt I need more prot and hit) was the preferred loadout for my leper. The Leper does so much damage prior to crits, I don't think you really need a +crit item (unless you like seeing big numbers which are a ton of overkill). Crescendo box also helps a bit with the abysmal speed of the leper.