Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

pokchu
Aug 22, 2007
D:
I've always thought they should have Descent Champions as an always available "arcade mode" with weekly/monthly leaderboards.

I would pay money for this feature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

pokchu posted:

I've always thought they should have Descent Champions as an always available "arcade mode" with weekly/monthly leaderboards.

I would play the poo poo out of this.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

as far as their public api's go there doesn't appear to be any limit. leagues aren't numbered (eg standard = 1 hardcore = 2 etc) theyre just a string, so in theory you could just make a billion leagues

where it might be an issue is all of their UIs, the character creation screen wouldn't look great crammed with 70 leagues, you'd have to make some kind of dropdown menu

I think it's just a matter of them not really wanting the feature rather than not being able to do it

if I make a league with 500x droprate and 10x xp rate there really isn't a point in me playing any other league ever again lol

No, there's a limit. When they ran the mayhem/turmoil races during legacy they couldnt offer a softcore ssf option because of the limit.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

pokchu posted:

..btt posted:

I would play the poo poo out of this.

Not empty-quoting

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
I'd like to see a league more creative than "thing you run into sometimes" but if they're trying to avoid Marvel Heroes player indulgence then I understand.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

whypick1 posted:

Not empty-quoting

Seriously decent champions is the poo poo. Give me a proper net hack experience with POE mechanics please.

West007
Apr 21, 2013

When about are people starting to roll new chars? I'm about to hit 91 on my first real char. I mostly play during weekends and feels like I'm running out of stuff to do. Running tier 11-13 maps atm. I',m not sure if I can push this to kill shaper or something.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

I think I rolled my second character when my first was in the early 80s, and I effectively stopped when he hit 90.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
I roll a new character whenever I goddamn feel like it.

It's one of the many reasons I'm perennially poor.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

For me it's usually when they stop making progress in maps and I don't feel like trying to upgrade them anymore. usually mid-80's. Pushing through guardians is tough without dropping a ton on gear and I never really farm enough to afford it.

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

Just started my first new character--original guy had hit 87 and improving much further seemed like it would require too much currency. Also, original build was meant to be easy to play and get up and running pretty cheaply--with this one, I can go more "meta," and will be trying the Dark Pact Berserker.

Although, on that subject, there appear to be crit and non-crit based Dark Pact builds. I was planning on going non-crit because I like following clear, reasonably well-written guides, and this one seemed like the best that I saw (with most comments from users also being positive), but there seems to be a slight majority consensus elsewhere that crit-based is better, and even the author of this guide says that at the very high end (where I admittedly probably won't get), crit is stronger. Does anyone have a preferred guide to suggest for a crit-based DPB build?

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

pixaal posted:

Make this a hardcore only league, and they drop the items they had on them when they die.

This is literally how Nethack works. Except all the items dropped are cursed. It was pretty cool.

Edit: I played a bunch of Grim Dawn and they had a cool end game mode where you fight off waves of enemies and use currency to purchase buffs and defense turrets between rounds. Something like that would be neat.

George
Nov 27, 2004

They should do a league where every map is full of those lovely labyrinth traps so we can all stop wearing Abyssus.

cnice
Apr 6, 2017
New league idea: Only whites drop and you have to use currency in order to make magic/rares/unique items.

Mizar
Jul 28, 2005
Ugh

George posted:

They should do a league where every map is full of those lovely labyrinth traps so we can all stop wearing Abyssus.

and using vaal pact.

Since it seems like the guild has space now, can I get an invite?

IGN is Mizar_InnerEarTrauma

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Remove all currency but Orbs of Chance, OoC now also affects sockets and links.

George
Nov 27, 2004

You start with a rare in each slot and the only currency that drops is chaos.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

cnice posted:

New league idea: Only whites drop and you have to use currency in order to make magic/rares/unique items.

This actually sounds pretty fun. Do essences count as currency? That might make them useful.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Bah. Cadiro's offering me a shavs for 9000ish coins and since everyone's about the life this league it's not worth taking.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Would you believe it never occurred to me to refund the scion starting nodes until I saw the most recent BotW?

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

McFrugal posted:

Would you believe it never occurred to me to refund the scion starting nodes until I saw the most recent BotW?

Eh, there really isn't much reason to choose scion if your not gonna keep the easy access to scion life wheel. Both of my characters this league have been scions and they are essentially "ranger, but with scion life and less dps" and "shadow, but with scion life and less dps".

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Zephro posted:

There was talk, years ago, of letting supporters pay to establish their own custom leagues, which would have been pretty wild. Dunno what happened, maybe they were worried about fracturing the playerbase or something.

They should do this but with races. Rotating 2 week goon races would ruin my life but drat would it keep me coming back.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
lol according to the comments GGG showcased the BOTW using hacked gear that's impossible to obtain ingame

also that build is loving terrible

Betty
Apr 14, 2008
After playing too much D3 and finally picking up this game I'm sad I didn't start sooner because it's so much better... I've got my first character to 69 and have been lucky enough to find two exalted orbs, which I'm guessing I should just cash in for lots of chaos orbs and start building up some decent gear for mapping? I thought exalted orbs we're supposed to be pretty rare or is that kinda normal to find a couple while leveling?

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Soothing Vapors posted:

lol according to the comments GGG showcased the BOTW using hacked gear that's impossible to obtain ingame

also that build is loving terrible

The ring has a crit multi mod and I think that's it?

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

it really sucks having items worth anything, I wish every unique cost 1c that's the key to a really FUN game

Yeah actually that would be pretty sweet.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
you can't roll crit multi that high. I don't think life rolls that high either, but I wouldn't swear to it.

it's not carrying the build or anything but it's funny

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

MMF Freeway posted:

The ring has a crit multi mod and I think that's it?

max life roll on a ring is 79 the ring in the build is like 94 or something and crit multi is huge.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Betty posted:

After playing too much D3 and finally picking up this game I'm sad I didn't start sooner because it's so much better... I've got my first character to 69 and have been lucky enough to find two exalted orbs, which I'm guessing I should just cash in for lots of chaos orbs and start building up some decent gear for mapping? I thought exalted orbs we're supposed to be pretty rare or is that kinda normal to find a couple while leveling?

Yeah you want to cash them in. And you did get lucky.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Qwertycoatl posted:

Yeah you want to cash them in. And you did get lucky.

I have over 350 levels of characters this league and have had 0 ex drop for me :argh:

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

pcgamer wrote a path of exile article that im not gonna read but maybe one of you will want to http://www.pcgamer.com/path-of-exile-is-the-king-of-arpgs-but-only-if-you-can-learn-to-love-its-complexity/

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Awesome! posted:

pcgamer wrote a path of exile article that im not gonna read but maybe one of you will want to http://www.pcgamer.com/path-of-exile-is-the-king-of-arpgs-but-only-if-you-can-learn-to-love-its-complexity/

quote:

Veterans will tell you to just wing it the first time, but I'm not fond of the idea of investing 20 hours into some rickety-poo poo build only to have to undo those mistakes later
If they hate you maybe

quote:

I wanted to learn more about the game because I understood that its complexity is actually a virtue.
I'm glad the article states this outright but c'mon. It's a game for massive nerds, that's obvious to anyone, and massive nerds love complicated systems to play around in and try to optimise / break.

Zephro fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Sep 28, 2017

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Eh, I think winging it at first is a great way to learn the game before you get mired in all the min/maxing kind of stuff. I probably just feel that way because that's how I did it, but it was fun to learn things on my own instead of digging through wikis and only playing builds that were popular. Now that I've become more interested in doing well in the game and attempting endgame, I've migrated more to playing good builds and looking things up.

Fixit
Mar 27, 2010
Quick question, for a Queen of the Forest Uber Lab Runner build is Devoto's or Rat's Nest a better helmet? I will be running BV as my damage skill but also curious if BF is viable, for when fighting Izario

Thanks!

Just in case here is the profile link. TrixieRacer

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Fixit posted:

Quick question, for a Queen of the Forest Uber Lab Runner build is Devoto's or Rat's Nest a better helmet? I will be running BV as my damage skill but also curious if BF is viable, for when fighting Izario

Thanks!

Just in case here is the profile link. TrixieRacer

Devotos should give more movespeed than the difference in evasion gives with QotF, but really it just comes down to whichever one you can get the enchant you want on cheaper. Meta enchants are usually quite a bit cheaper on Devotos for any kind of crit build.

Also veterans don't generally give advice saying to do whatever you want on your own. GGG employees will say the best way to experience the game is to go in with no help whatsoever, though. It could go both ways, dumping too much information and items on a new player is definitely a hindrance to their learning experience and enjoyment of the game, but also doing things blindly sucks. It's a pretty commonly talked about thing with game devs to complain about the new player experience where a new player walks into the global chat, says they're new, and immediately gets thousands of items thrown at them with a step by step guide on how to get through everything in the early game in the most efficient way possible, and that's an extremely lovely experience for a lot of people.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!

Terrific Accident posted:

Eh, I think winging it at first is a great way to learn the game before you get mired in all the min/maxing kind of stuff. I probably just feel that way because that's how I did it, but it was fun to learn things on my own instead of digging through wikis and only playing builds that were popular. Now that I've become more interested in doing well in the game and attempting endgame, I've migrated more to playing good builds and looking things up.

A lovely build is really frustrating/difficult to get through A10, let alone even low tier maps. Going into poe blind is essentially banging your head against the wall until you figure out how everything works.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

For Blade Vortex, is there any way to scale up the hit speed of the aura besides increasing stacks? While I'm running around areas it feels like some mobs don't die because a hit didn't go off in the brief moment I was near them.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

For Blade Vortex, is there any way to scale up the hit speed of the aura besides increasing stacks? While I'm running around areas it feels like some mobs don't die because a hit didn't go off in the brief moment I was near them.

nope welcome to hell

*move two steps*
cast
*move two steps*
cast
*move two steps*
cast

repeat until you reroll

its like RF + work

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Don't think so. Duration helps by making stacks last longer as you move...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

nope welcome to hell

*move two steps*
cast
*move two steps*
cast
*move two steps*
cast

repeat until you reroll

its like RF + work

Yeah I'm starting to feel the regret a little on this one already. Well see though, wanna beat a10 at least

Not really that much different from other characters really, they have to stop to kill too vOv