Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Atreiden
May 4, 2008

AnoHito posted:

I don't think your ruler/consort's age actually matters for heir chance at all.

It doesn't. The heir is not necessarily the rulers child.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

I think having more royal marriages helps. The whole heir system is pretty heavily abstracted away. How close does your ruler look to dying?

If he dies, it's still not the end of the world, you can usually find a rival to support your independence and help you get your freedom, plus possibly a good chunk of your former overlord's land. In this case, whichever one loses the succession war sounds like a good candidate.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

If you're at war when your current monarch dies, you won't get pulled into a personal union. Might be time for a hellwar

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

AnoHito posted:

I think having more royal marriages helps. The whole heir system is pretty heavily abstracted away. How close does your ruler look to dying?

He's like 44. So if he brushes his teeth he's probably got a good 10-20 years left in him.

I'll see how many more weddings I can manage.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Peas and Rice posted:

Then how do I get my king and queen back in the bedroom? Because right now I've got a big red warning that England and France are going to duke it out to see who I end up underneath in a personal union.

Just declare war on some nobody far away and drag it out forever.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Holy crap, you guys probably know this already but Prussia with quality, defensive and offensive is absolutely bonkers. Add the innovative policy for +20% infantry combat and it's borderline broken, I can take on stacks that outnumber me 2 to 1 and come out on top with very little losses. Who needs manpower when your soldiers don't die?

1710 and I can already form Germany.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

TorakFade posted:

Holy crap, you guys probably know this already but Prussia with quality, defensive and offensive is absolutely bonkers. Add the innovative policy for +20% infantry combat and it's borderline broken, I can take on stacks that outnumber me 2 to 1 and come out on top with very little losses. Who needs manpower when your soldiers don't die?

With all the artillery bonuses activated, you can justifiably skip out on filling your front row with infantry, and definitely toss cavalry altogether. Always remember: fire phase comes first!

Grinning Goblin
Oct 11, 2004

Oh, you are right around hitting the Age of Revolution too. They can get a -20% damage from the fire phase bonus for one of their age abilities.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I'm officially at "I can't find the will to play anymore until the next expansion comes out". I hope it is soon, and it fixes China.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

and it fixes China.

:lol:

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

I'm officially at "I can't find the will to play anymore until the next expansion comes out". I hope it is soon, and it fixes China.

there wasn't a single word on that, so yeah....
I recommend not buying the new DLC if it's not fixed but people are too big into this game and will buy it anyway.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Tahirovic posted:

there wasn't a single word on that, so yeah....
I recommend not buying the new DLC if it's not fixed but people are too big into this game and will buy it anyway.

If they are doing something about it, they won't mention it until 1-2 weeks before the next DLC releases. It's very rare that they use dev diary time to discuss fixes to previously introduced mechanics.

I hit this point 6 weeks after MoH came out, it sucks. It feels like we've been on this patch forever and I play almost all of my games in Asia so poo poo's all hosed up.

Rapner
May 7, 2013

TorakFade posted:

Blut und Eisen!

-----

Any advice for an idea progression for a hyper-colonising Castile? I have started with Exploration, got Burgundian Succession and waiting on Iberian Wedding.

Thinking Exploration Expansion Quantity/Defensive Influence/Diplomatic/Administrative... Not really sure about later game.

Game is multiplayer with France and England - lots of colonial competition. Given the Burgundian succession I'm going to try to take HRE emperor...

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!

Peas and Rice posted:

Then how do I get my king and queen back in the bedroom? Because right now I've got a big red warning that England and France are going to duke it out to see who I end up underneath in a personal union.

You can't. On the flip side, royal marriages slightly increase your chance to produce an heir, and the cadet branches idea gives a decent boost. If your monarch gets old without an heir, you also start getting a chance of events firing that will give you an heir. And if you don't like taking your chances you can spend the rest of your monarch's life fighting a war to prevent a PU.

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben

Dance Officer posted:

You can't. On the flip side, royal marriages slightly increase your chance to produce an heir, and the cadet branches idea gives a decent boost. If your monarch gets old without an heir, you also start getting a chance of events firing that will give you an heir. And if you don't like taking your chances you can spend the rest of your monarch's life fighting a war to prevent a PU.

Even better, fight a war with the ruler.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Rapner posted:

Any advice for an idea progression for a hyper-colonising Castile? I have started with Exploration, got Burgundian Succession and waiting on Iberian Wedding.

Thinking Exploration Expansion Quantity/Defensive Influence/Diplomatic/Administrative... Not really sure about later game.

Game is multiplayer with France and England - lots of colonial competition. Given the Burgundian succession I'm going to try to take HRE emperor...
If you take the Admin idea group there is a policy that gives +10 settlers and +5% Settler chance, which, if you need to turbo power your colonization more than going Exploration + Expansion + their policy, helps quite a bit especially if you do not feel like taking Quantity.

RabidWeasel posted:

I hit this point 6 weeks after MoH came out, it sucks. It feels like we've been on this patch forever and I play almost all of my games in Asia so poo poo's all hosed up.
I just wrapped up a Victorian Three run where I could ignore the Chinese sphere of influence but yeah, just because of the free map changes I am happy to wait till the expansion comes out to play again because I want to play in the middle east.

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.

Rapner posted:

Blut und Eisen!

-----

Expansion is pretty weak overall. I'm playing Castile and took it temporarily for the extra colonist but between exploration and national ideas you'll get up to 3 anyway, which is plenty.

Could do an earlier Admin instead for coring costs and mercs.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

If you take the Admin idea group there is a policy that gives +10 settlers and +5% Settler chance, which, if you need to turbo power your colonization more than going Exploration + Expansion + their policy, helps quite a bit especially if you do not feel like taking Quantity.

I just wrapped up a Victorian Three run where I could ignore the Chinese sphere of influence but yeah, just because of the free map changes I am happy to wait till the expansion comes out to play again because I want to play in the middle east.

Yeah even if they don't fix China it will still be fun to play a bunch of games in the new ME. I'm not getting any more DLC until they fix tributaries to not be insanely brokenly strong and/or make China fun to interact with in some other way.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

I really hope they fix China, but until they do, I'm glad I don't own mandate of heaven. Also I'm not going to pay 20€ for an expansion. I would like to have access to edicts and ages, but it's really not worth it imho. Same with the upcoming one, I'm not paying 20€ for professionalism and a couple of new governments (or whatever the other paid changes were).

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Yeah but you'll be playing those games without new mechanics, if you don't buy the DLC. So meh, time to put EU4 until they fix it.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Dance Officer posted:

I managed to get an heir but my queen consort died so this will be interesting. I'm hoping to make this my first complete, until 1821 Ironman run.

Speaking of: is there any reason at all to register for a Paradox account, especially if I don't care about multiplayer or leaderboards?

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Peas and Rice posted:

I managed to get an heir but my queen consort died so this will be interesting. I'm hoping to make this my first complete, until 1821 Ironman run.

Speaking of: is there any reason at all to register for a Paradox account, especially if I don't care about multiplayer or leaderboards?

Not really. I think it might give you some random content pack for free, but I never cared about any of those anyway.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

Peas and Rice posted:

Having a queen consort around during a regency is only useful for starting wars.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Dance Officer posted:

Having a queen consort around during a regency is only useful for starting wars.

Well I'm biding my time before I can turn Aragon into my new summer resort home. :black101:

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i think queen regencies don't carry the -2 legitimacy/year thing which can hurt otherwise. also in my experience they have much better stats than the trash regency councils + they get traits

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

oddium posted:

i think queen regencies don't carry the -2 legitimacy/year thing which can hurt otherwise. also in my experience they have much better stats than the trash regency councils + they get traits

I tend to get queens with amazing stats weeded to moronic rulers who then I hope die early.

It's the King of Queens theory of statecraft.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
wow, I've played this game for more than a thousand hours and literally spent hundreds of hours drawing them but I only just realized that the advisors all have little descriptions of their roles if you hover over them. makes me wonder what other little details like that I've never noticed before.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

sometimes i just like to check up on the greenland animals. hey buds

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

The Nile crocs are my friends

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

tired: sunset invasion

wired: A Sungod Invasion

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

I've been trying to think of various gimmick playthroughs that might be fun to try and the best I can come up with is going all in on development. I figure I'll do a custom nation for the 20% cost reduction, rush economic first, and go from there.

The question of where on the map to start is quite significant; optimally nearby provinces would be all temperate climate, farmlands or grasslands, and would produce cloth, cotton, gold or something with a very high value such as silk. With that in mind the best map position would seem to be somewhere around north India. This also gives access to potentially becoming EoC which allows an edict which gives another 10% dev cost reduction.

If anyone has tried something like this before or has a different suggestion for where on the map to start I'd be interested to hear it.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

RabidWeasel posted:

I've been trying to think of various gimmick playthroughs that might be fun to try and the best I can come up with is going all in on development. I figure I'll do a custom nation for the 20% cost reduction, rush economic first, and go from there.

The question of where on the map to start is quite significant; optimally nearby provinces would be all temperate climate, farmlands or grasslands, and would produce cloth, cotton, gold or something with a very high value such as silk. With that in mind the best map position would seem to be somewhere around north India. This also gives access to potentially becoming EoC which allows an edict which gives another 10% dev cost reduction.

If anyone has tried something like this before or has a different suggestion for where on the map to start I'd be interested to hear it.

The Netherlands, Belgium, France, Italy all come to mind if you're looking for good clay. China as well.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Yeah on second thought I might fill China up with a bunch of different custom nations or find a "shattered China" type mod and go from there while generally trying to avoid expanding out of China proper. Would fit in well with the development focus.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
So I started my first ottoman run a couple days ago. Vassalized the Balkans, reunited turkey, vassalized Georgia, allied crimea, ate a bunch of things around Georgia, ate Egypt, took Iraq and half of Iran from QQ and the Timurids.

And then I found out how trade actually works. I had been broke as gently caress that entire run.

God damnit.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

Welcome to EU4!

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

RabidWeasel posted:

I've tried doing exactly this, and I can tell you that it's extremely boring and not fun.

Developing your provinces is already the least effective way of gaining new development. You'd need a total of -80% dev cost just to match the development per point you get from conquest, and that's only for developing a province with less than 10 total development. It gets a lot worse from there because the effect of development on dev cost increases exponentially. At 30 total development the cost is doubled and at 41 it's tripled. At 49 it's 4 times the base cost, and at 56 it's over 5 times. Eventually you'd get to a point where you literally can't develop because the cost exceeds the MP cap. That point is 117 development before cost reductions, or about the same as a moderately sized duchy. Assuming you stack every single dev cost reduction you can reasonably get (I think -205%), that cap would be 122, a whole five points higher. Meanwhile you're spending close to a thousand MP just to get a single ducat a year or 250 manpower.

Unless you're a huge fan of idle clicker games, it's just not worth the time.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

You do get a larger amount of immediate output per point of development, though, due to things like prosperity, autonomy, cultural acceptance, etc.

In any case I have like 900 dev worth of China to conquer on the way so I'm hardly going to be twiddling my thumbs.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Oh, for some reason I assumed you meant you'd be going supertall, as in sticking to a single province.

To be frank I wouldn't call "conquering all of China to get -10% dev cost" to be "going all in on development". But whatever, good luck and have fun.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
I've done that twice, as both Japan and Korea since MoH came out, to try to conquer China with just their home territories. I wouldn't exactly call it great fun but it was different. Maybe if you mixed in colonizing Southeast Asia there'd be enough to make it engaging.

also with edicts and prosperity, it was surprisingly viable. not in an optimal play style type of way, but I managed to get to 1000 development as both of them within a couple of centuries and had no problem taking out China.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009
The merchant republic mechanics introduced in one of the DLCs is really outdated. And now after estates got introduced most other nations are much closer in trade efficiency because you can place burghers in trade centers. But I guess they can't really just remove the special internal politics of the merchant republics because they are a paid feature of a dlc.

I think it is time to reboot the game.

• Locked thread