Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

I got this game on PC and the screen is freezing during the no-save intro. It first happened on the third set of catwalks I think, about 30 minutes in as I learned the game. I set the graphics to medium and made it farther on my second try (it froze just after she notices birds). The music continues playing, and I can hear the UI still works. I can tab out and back in and the game window goes white. Google said something about memorizing the sequence to quit the game blind when it happens, but that won't help until I can save and pick back up close to where I left off. Anyone know of any fixes for this? I'm going to try the user patch that fixes the fullscreen bug tonight. This is my karmic payback for teasing my PS4 friend when he kept dying to some boss at the end of the intro and having to replay the whole long sequence several times over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

bagrada posted:

I got this game on PC and the screen is freezing during the no-save intro. It first happened on the third set of catwalks I think, about 30 minutes in as I learned the game. I set the graphics to medium and made it farther on my second try (it froze just after she notices birds). The music continues playing, and I can hear the UI still works. I can tab out and back in and the game window goes white. Google said something about memorizing the sequence to quit the game blind when it happens, but that won't help until I can save and pick back up close to where I left off. Anyone know of any fixes for this? I'm going to try the user patch that fixes the fullscreen bug tonight. This is my karmic payback for teasing my PS4 friend when he kept dying to some boss at the end of the intro and having to replay the whole long sequence several times over.

Did you update your video card driver? That happened to me too.

Senjuro posted:

Can someone please clarify something about the story for me?

Who created YoRHa? Some secret android Illuminati? Why did they need to dispose of YoRHa once they had enough data to make new models if YoRHa was already developing and producing new models during its existence without needing to wipe the slate clean every time?

Unless I really misunderstood something, YoRHa existed only to cheaply perpetuate the forever war against the machines. That's why they were powered by machine cores. They had to perpetuate the fiction that humanity still existed and so the YoRHa basically were valkyries fighting on their behalf so that the rest of the androids didn't have critical existential crises (and also didn't have to do the fighting themselves), so there needed to be some kind of plug to pull to make sure they don't accidentally win.

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006

RyokoTK posted:

Unless I really misunderstood something, YoRHa existed only to cheaply perpetuate the forever war against the machines. That's why they were powered by machine cores. They had to perpetuate the fiction that humanity still existed and so the YoRHa basically were valkyries fighting on their behalf so that the rest of the androids didn't have critical existential crises (and also didn't have to do the fighting themselves), so there needed to be some kind of plug to pull to make sure they don't accidentally win.

Going by the YoRHa disposal report that says:

"The backdoor of the Bunker has been set to open once the time approaches to switch to new models when enough combat data has been collected. The Bunker will be disposed of by having it be deliberately attacked by machines. At this time, all materials regarding the YoRHa project, including this document, will be lost, and falsification of the information that mankind still resides on the moon will be complete."

It seems that the plan was to dispose of YoRHa regardless of if they were winning. I just don't understand why it needed to be disposed of just to switch to newer models when that already happened multiple times before under YoRHa. Did the androids even have an interest in perpetuating the war? The androids had the lie of humans on the moon to give them purpose, it was the machines that wanted the endless war since they had just one order, defeat the enemy, so they deliberately handicapped themselves so they never fully win.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Lift Your Little Paws Like Antennas to Heaven!

RyokoTK posted:

Because imposing limitations didn't make the game any more fun? Also why is it my loving job to fix the game?

It's not like I didn't try all the chips out and all the weapons out, but using stuff like Counter and Taunt seemed to add pointless fiddle-faddle. I could either counter and kill the enemy, or I could just kill the enemy, and there wasn't any reason not to just get to the point.

e: And the game certainly doesn't require you to load up on life-on-hit, since Recovery items are super inexpensive and you can use them instantly at any time. So I could have just loaded up damage or defense or gun power or whatever and healed that way for free instead, which I tried, and the combat was still lame. So how do I fix that instead?

No you see the combat is only lame because you're using the tools the game gives you, you absolute loving idiot. What kind of gamer uses the core mechanics of a game and expects to have a good time? I couldn't enjoy Dark Souls III until I worked out how to kill all enemies by tricking their AI into running off cliffs and taking fall damage. :v:

By the way, can someone help me assemble my Ikea flatpack bookshelf? I can't get the screws in. They included a hex key but I don't wanna ruin the fun by using that hella over powered tool.

Cymbal Monkey fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Sep 27, 2017

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Senjuro posted:

Going by the YoRHa disposal report that says:

"The backdoor of the Bunker has been set to open once the time approaches to switch to new models when enough combat data has been collected. The Bunker will be disposed of by having it be deliberately attacked by machines. At this time, all materials regarding the YoRHa project, including this document, will be lost, and falsification of the information that mankind still resides on the moon will be complete."

It seems that the plan was to dispose of YoRHa regardless of if they were winning. I just don't understand why it needed to be disposed of just to switch to newer models when that already happened multiple times before under YoRHa. Did the androids even have an interest in perpetuating the war? The androids had the lie of humans on the moon to give them purpose, it was the machines that wanted the endless war since they had just one order, defeat the enemy, so they deliberately handicapped themselves so they never fully win.

The concert scripts explain it.
Only YoRHa is aware that the Council of Humanity is a lie, and is the only actual point of contact with the "Council". Getting rid of YoRHa means that nobody will be asking them awkward questions about "Hey, if the machines are all gone, why aren't the humans coming back to Earth?", leaving the humans as a nebulous "god" on the moon. Also this part of the plan was thought up by a nihilistic and suicidal prototype of 9S so it may not be fully consistent.

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006

Tarezax posted:

The concert scripts explain it.
Only YoRHa is aware that the Council of Humanity is a lie, and is the only actual point of contact with the "Council". Getting rid of YoRHa means that nobody will be asking them awkward questions about "Hey, if the machines are all gone, why aren't the humans coming back to Earth?", leaving the humans as a nebulous "god" on the moon. Also this part of the plan was thought up by a nihilistic and suicidal prototype of 9S so it may not be fully consistent.

So the part about "once the time approaches to switch to new models when enough combat data has been collected" is just an arbitrary point they chose for when to end the project?

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Senjuro posted:

So the part about "once the time approaches to switch to new models when enough combat data has been collected" is just an arbitrary point they chose for when to end it the project?

Well, YoRHa was the direct response to a "loss of morale" (aka widespread existential meltdowns) when androids learned that humanity had been killed. But of course there are certain entities within YoRHa that know the truth, such as the Commander -- and of course, 9S. So perhaps the second generation of androids after YoRHa wouldn't even have that faction of people that know the truth?

Defeating the machines doesn't actually benefit the androids in any way since they already lost, but the "combat data" would at least help keep them at bay, perhaps -- after all, they now know how to manufacture androids using endlessly plentiful machine parts.

Remember the timing: it wasn't just a random moment when the Bunker fell, it was immediately after 2B/9S severed the machine network and YoRHa were poised to make the killing blow. The machines were (theoretically) neutralized, and that is the point that the Bunker collapsed.

There's a lot of errata in the Automata lore that I don't know since I've read/seen very little not in the game, so this speculation is probably inaccurate, but whatever :/

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Cymbal Monkey posted:

I hated this about the chips. I don't mind weirdly breakable upgrade systems, FFX's sphere grid would let you do some really weird stuff, like speccing characters into classes they didn't belong in (I had Rikku as my heavy hitter and it was insane) but you've gotta exploit it a little more actively. Automata's chip system you can stumble blind drunk into pseudoinvisibility with the healing and auto chips.

Just for fun, I discovered that with the auto chips the game will even beat the second optional superboss for you without taking a scratch.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

RyokoTK posted:

Did you update your video card driver? That happened to me too.

Yeah, nvidia, updated my driver a day before installing Nier after about 5 months of ignoring the new driver available message. I'll roll it back and try the intro again.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

CJacobs posted:

Yes, your only choices are "use it all the time" and "never use it", and not any combination of those two things. :geno:

Yeah, I'll impose a "only dodge five times a battle" clause when I'm playing, and refuse to press it more during a fight. That sounds like a lot of fun.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Momomo posted:

Yeah, I'll impose a "only dodge five times a battle" clause when I'm playing, and refuse to press it more during a fight. That sounds like a lot of fun.

Personally I mapped the dodge button to a large foot switch and trained my dog to press it every time I said "dodge". My dog was kinda poo poo at it but I felt like his being bad at following commands perfectly balanced out the combat.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Senjuro posted:

Can someone please clarify something about the story for me?

Who created YoRHa? Some secret android Illuminati? Why did they need to dispose of YoRHa once they had enough data to make new models if YoRHa was already developing and producing new models during its existence without needing to wipe the slate clean every time?

The concert readings explain this in act... 2 I think?

Linking the whole thing because it's good, but you can find it act by act in the related videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yF0y083mMHA

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

bagrada posted:

Yeah, nvidia, updated my driver a day before installing Nier after about 5 months of ignoring the new driver available message. I'll roll it back and try the intro again.

quote:

I'm going to try the user patch that fixes the fullscreen bug tonight.

If you're talking about the FAR mod, definitely install that before screwing with your drivers. I dare say the game is barely playable on PC without it, there's a ton of various assorted fixes accumulated over different versions.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Cymbal Monkey posted:

Combat isn't deep if you have to intentionally ignore/underutilise the game's most obvious mechanics to find ways to make it deep. Almost any game has potential for that kind of artificial depth, that's what challenge runs are.

There's a difference between potential depth (amount of intended mechanical interactions, possibility space, ease of implementation) and required depth (how much the game forces you to interact with the aforementioned systems). It's some pretty basic design stuff. A game like One Finger Death Punch only has two buttons, but forces you to master timing them, putting it high on the second, and low on the first. Meanwhile, Nier Automata has amazing potential depth (look up some combo videos to see what people can do with the systems), but low requirements (since, you know, most fights can be solved by spamming dodge.)

Conflating the two shows a remarkable lack of understanding of any of the concepts in play.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Alternately, a strong preference for designs with minimal gap between the two. Minecraft has tremendous potential depth and I don't give a poo poo - I'm just not interested in that sort of design.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Comparing Minecraft to N:A is something I didn't think I'd ever see :psyduck:

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Nier fun

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

Ruffian Price posted:

If you're talking about the FAR mod, definitely install that before screwing with your drivers. I dare say the game is barely playable on PC without it, there's a ton of various assorted fixes accumulated over different versions.

FAR mod did the trick, at least getting me to the first break and save point. Man that boss went on forever while I was waiting for a freeze to troll me after an hour of play. Hopefully I'm good to actually play through the game now.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

I'm very entertained by the parallel discussions of the game's story and people talking about artificially handicapping themselves when they play because tearing through enemies effortlessly leaves them feeling dissatisfied and empty.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

chiasaur11 posted:

There's a difference between potential depth (amount of intended mechanical interactions, possibility space, ease of implementation) and required depth (how much the game forces you to interact with the aforementioned systems). It's some pretty basic design stuff. A game like One Finger Death Punch only has two buttons, but forces you to master timing them, putting it high on the second, and low on the first. Meanwhile, Nier Automata has amazing potential depth (look up some combo videos to see what people can do with the systems), but low requirements (since, you know, most fights can be solved by spamming dodge.)

Conflating the two shows a remarkable lack of understanding of any of the concepts in play.

To me that just reeks of bad design. A game that you can make fun by handicapping yourself because the mechanics are horrendously unbalanced is not good. Am I suggesting you can't have fun like this? Not at all, it's not my job to tell people what fun is, but the very fact that so many people need to chime in with "well if don't use the dodge mechanic the game is so obviously built around it's great fun!" tells me the game is horribly unbalanced. If we're in a position where players have to rebalance the game to make it enjoyable then Platinum hosed up.

I will always prefer a game that pushes me into or at least on some level rewards me for mastery of mechanics, Dark Souls is a great example of this, the Metal Gear Solid series as well, I'm not interested in being given easy mode and then being told by someone on the internet "nah you don't get it it's great if you stop using the dodge button".

Cymbal Monkey fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Sep 28, 2017

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Party Boat posted:

I'm very entertained by the parallel discussions of the game's story and people talking about artificially handicapping themselves when they play because tearing through enemies effortlessly leaves them feeling dissatisfied and empty.

:thunk:

If you didn't actually have to kill any machines in this game then you (not you specifically, I know you're not making this argument) could totally take a jab at the player in the same existential bent that the machines and androids live under -- you're only fighting because it's a video game and you think it's your raison d'etre -- but there are so many forced encounters in the narrative that it doesn't hold up. It would be incredibly funny if that was a called shot though.

RyokoTK fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Sep 28, 2017

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

After the intro you can end the game non violently at any time

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Party Boat posted:

After the intro you can end the game non violently at any time

What, by uninstalling your OS?

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Was real bummed out i couldn't just walk away from the boss fights that start non-hostile, to be honest. Even one of the 20 joke endings wouldve been a nice gesture.

Dishonored has spoiled me.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Was real bummed out i couldn't just walk away from the boss fights that start non-hostile, to be honest. Even one of the 20 joke endings wouldve been a nice gesture.

Dishonored has spoiled me.
you don't need to fight the big robot made of all the little bucket carrier dudes so there's at least one

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

chiasaur11 posted:

I'd argue there are good and bad ways to implement potential depth. Good potential depth is giving the player a plethora of useful systems of which the player won't be using everything but can pick based on preference or the game has systems in place that incentivize variety (examples: DMC, Transistor), poor potential depth attempts this but makes some choices much more useful than others, making most options simply less viable unless your either handicapping yourself or creating combo video type content.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

you don't need to fight the big robot made of all the little bucket carrier dudes so there's at least one
Yeah that's what i did and it made the lack of choice (by intentional design) that much more obvious. I see their "but thou must" point, i just don't care for it.

also

Over There posted:

Sorry you didn't like it bub. I loved the combat.
:yeah:

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Sep 28, 2017

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Which bosses don't attack you first? Adam #1 and A2?

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

I really enjoyed the combat, but I'm usually terrible at platinum games. The way damage scaling worked wrt levels was pretty bad, though. But in a way it kind of works, just when the gameplay gets really easy, there plot starts to kick into gear.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
I enjoyed the combat just fine because I didn't want combat difficulty bottlenecks holding up the very story driven game I was playing.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
The game was fun enough, it just can't be held up to the same standard as games like Revengeance and Bayonetta. Normally this wouldn't be a big deal, since not every game can be them, but Platinum being the developer for Automata was part of its advertising. In the end we got a game that didn't really feel like it has Platinum's traits, other than being terrible at explaining itself.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

No Wave posted:

Which bosses don't attack you first? Adam #1 and A2?

Yeah you just stare at each other awkwardly till you attack.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Alright thread it's time for an important question to be answered that I've been agonizing over for months. Many a night has it caused me to suddenly awaken in the night in a cold sweat...

Popola or Devola?

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Sep 29, 2017

Gibbering
May 24, 2014

:catdrugs:

Raxivace posted:

Alright thread it's time for an important question to be answered that I've been agonizing over for months. Many a night has it caused me to sudden awaken in the night in a cold sweat...

Popola or Devola?

Devola. I like her curly hair.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Who would ever choose Popola, Devola is glamorous

Crunchwrap Supreme
Sep 15, 2017
Yeah Devola is the better twin hands down

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I think she gets to do most of the speaking in this game too and was the second to expire outside of the tower . Either that or I was just paying more attention to her.

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries
Devola has the better theme song (from Nier 1) and this is all that matters.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I'll be the weirdo who chooses Popola.

The way she rushes at the tower and gets loving shocked while giving no fucks whatsoever is a total boss move.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Devola had quite a few boss moves in the original game