Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is going to be your favorite offseason storyline?
This poll is closed.
The Big3 Tourney 67 22.41%
Will Lakers draft Ball 40 13.38%
Where will the Pauls go 54 18.06%
Will LeBron jump ship to the Spurs or ?? 41 13.71%
Will every team in the league just pivot towards tanking 97 32.44%
Total: 210 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

EvanTH posted:

(Shirley Ellis - The Clapping Song [1965])
Ahah thank you. I assume that's every example.

all those frustrating memories watching Melo throw a beautiful pass once every ten times he touched the ball.

He's the most predictable player in the god damned league with his ISOs. He must be super easy to strategize against, despite half the league calling him the toughest individual cover for a good 4-5 year stretch that ended two or three years ago

Guess we'll just have to see how it plays out with Russ running the show. That's Mr. triple double whenever he drat well feels like it Russ to you, Melo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

I wonder what the Knicks woulda gotten back from the Cavs or the Pacers?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Carlosologist posted:

am I crazy in thinking that Blake Griffin is actually kind of underrated at this point? my buddy said he was like a proto-Jokic and I found myself largely agreeing

His health has been a knock against him, you don't get credit for being really good when you miss almost 100 games in 3 seasons. He's also taken a small step back during a time when you'd think he'd be entering his prime, which is always disappointing. Finally there's a kind of dumb pervasive attitude that if your not shooting 3s your not really valuable that exists right now, and Griffin started launching a bunch more to not a great effect.

I do agree though, he is probably underrated right now in general, and if he can get to where is isn't missing many games or playing with injuries he is definitely an elite player.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

dokmo posted:

The hot hand is alive and well in the video room.

The fact that hot hand is schemed against means that it will present less obviously in the numbers

The assumption that hot hand exists is yet more proof that hot hand exists

Carlosologist posted:

am I crazy in thinking that Blake Griffin is actually kind of underrated at this point? my buddy said he was like a proto-Jokic and I found myself largely agreeing

I think people haven't really changed their position on his play, but "won't be available by the end of the season due to injury" sort of has to factor into an evaluation

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
https://twitter.com/itsgabrielleu/status/913432455004205056

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

IT
DRose
Wade
Lebron
KLove
Khloe Kardashian
JR Smith
Richard Jefferson's podcast
Comic Sans
Dan Gilbert's son

THE TEN ALPHAS

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga

Latinx posted:

arsenal will gently caress this up and i will do a big lol

Wenger must walk

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

Latinx posted:

arsenal will gently caress this up and i will do a big lol

Delonte West or Agent Zero?

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

R.D. Mangles posted:

if wade and rose are good for the cavs i am going to fake my own death and then haunt the united center like the phantom of the opera

I'm late but lmao

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Why do we think these secret Melo trades didn't happen again?

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

RBX posted:

Why do we think these secret Melo trades didn't happen again?

If they even existed, because the Knicks didn't want to do them.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

this bromance is so much better the now that it's aged and i'm all nostalgic and poo poo.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Well, ok

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/913478283387215872

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Love to have my team commit to tanking when a quarter of the league is doing the same thing, right before the NBA implements lottery reform

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Ben Simmons calling Trump a dickhead is great

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

xbilkis posted:

Love to have my team commit to tanking when a quarter of the league is doing the same thing, right before the NBA implements lottery reform

I dunno, there's probably fewer than at any time in the last decade. Bulls, Suns, Knicks, Hawks? Lakers and Nets don't own their picks, Sacramento's probably going to be real bad but they've got all those veterans.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/913480042352693250

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I'm not sure I like this draft reform. I guess teams aren't incentivized to tank anymore but doesn't this make it harder for a bad small market team to get a top talent?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

They are still incentivized to tank. It is just harder to get better

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

xbilkis posted:

It's for the 2019 draft. Not this upcoming season's, but the one after.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

chunkles posted:

- Onuaku said he left Louisville in part because he thought investigations would come down on the school

Is there a link to this anywhere?

nvm got one

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

euphronius posted:

They are still incentivized to tank. It is just harder to get better

In particular, this seems likely to increase the number of Anthony Davis-type players languishing in a bad situation. You get the top pick, you end up the fourth or fifth worst team in the league next year, and you're more likely to be picking outside of the top 5 than in it.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Hmm, interesting. I actually don't hate this?

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
it feels like the whole tanking controversy was hot take sports dad territory anyway, can't believe they actually changed poo poo cuz of that silliness.

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga

Punkin Spunkin posted:

it feels like the whole tanking controversy was hot take sports dad territory anyway, can't believe they actually changed poo poo cuz of that silliness.

This but also I'm glad my team finished tanking before the changes happened :mrapig:

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Silver now has the scalp of Hinke and changed odds. He can say he did something and can credibly threaten GMs from philly style tanking .

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I'm still waiting for the day the dress code is gone.

yah yah I know "players ended up having fun with it and reinvented fashion"

I just hate this Boomer-type poo poo in my basketball

Ghetto SuperCzar
Feb 20, 2005

I like the lotto changes. Rewards teams that try yet are still bad (like the Knicks last year) and disincentives the arms race to the worst. Will still happen, of course, but I think teams will start examining if lower ticket sales from being the absolute worst is better than being medium bad while still having a shot at #1.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

I don't get why they took odds away from the worst team and gave it to other teams if they wanted to disincentivize tanking. Now you don't even have to engineer a worse team than everyone else who's tanking as well as the really-lovely-by-accident teams to get the best odds. It reduces the barrier to tanking.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Paul Zuvella posted:

Hmm, interesting. I actually don't hate this?

euphronius posted:

Silver now has the scalp of Hinke and changed odds. He can say he did something and can credibly threaten GMs from philly style tanking .

We know what it looks like when a bad team doesn't have draft incentive: The Brooklyn Nets. It didn't make them win any more games and they were still appalling basketball. They just traded away their best player this offseason and they still don't have their pick.

It won't do anything other than make bad teams stay bad longer, and reward some waffling, 30 win team with no clear strategy with a top pick.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/913495658245607424

Surprised at how many teams were on board with this

de curry GOAT
Oct 23, 2005

Jota posted:

Wenger must walk

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Because we were actually the out of touch old fogies

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

xbilkis posted:

I assume it's because what the Suns and 76ers did of years ago did more harm than we thought to the overall product, and owners at the end of the day want more money.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
It seems like the new odds will also broaden the scope of tanking, too. Before, when you were the 10th worst team, there's no real reason to put in a lot of effort to move up two picks unless some protection scenarios gave you an incentive to do so, because moving up in the lottery is still a long-shot.

Now, you can get a 1/4 chance of getting a top-5 pick if you're the eighth-worst team, so why not maximize your chances?

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

xbilkis posted:

Owner's hubris. None of them believes their team is ever going to be bottom-5 garbage. So if they have a "down year," they'll have a better shot at the top pick under this new system.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Looks fine by me. It still rewards you for being bad, just takes away some of the really high odds for the bottom three teams. So you can rebuild and be bad in sane ways instead of torpedeoing yourself to the ground to slip as far as possible. In theory. Guess we'll see how it plays out, but I'm fine with it.

Blunt Instrument
Apr 4, 2008

How can you shoot
(hot dogs at) women or children?

Easy! Ya just don't lead 'em so much! Hahaha! Ain't ball hell?!

Finnish news sites have picked up basketball to the extent of making clickbait: "Markkanen to share the floor with record 3 pt shooter"

*its the record for 3 pointers @ the uni of wisconsin

isme
Oct 13, 2004
ZombiePugs
I am fine with the lottery reforms because watching your team purposely tanking is not fun. Bad teams should get chance to get better via draft, but they should also be better in making smarter basketball decisions and not rely on draft as a hail mary for their lovely decisions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Niwrad posted:

I am not being hyperbolic about this statement. Cameron Payne is the worst player I've ever seen play at the NBA level. I'm sure there are worse but I've never seen someone that bad with my own eyes.

Let me tell you about a fellow named Uwe Blab.

• Locked thread