Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Hooplah posted:

Someone itt suggested this a while ago and I still think it could work to alleviate this "issue" - the blue has the ability to do permanent non-healable damage. I'm thinking probably with some kind of warmup period, like once you take a total of 100% damage without leaving the blue, it starts dealing its same damage, but to your total health.

this is a garbage idea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Athanatos posted:

Using cover in a Call of Duty game is called "head glitching"

That's not at all what the complaint about "headglitching" is about

Headglitching is an artifact of bullets coming out of the top of a player model's head rather than from the barrel of the gun, which allows people to shoot others freely while only exposing the topmost pixel of themselves

Complaining about it is certainly babytier and community complaints about it generally only happens in the casual shooters like cod or bf, but presenting it as just "using cover" is also dishonest

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
Maybe they should make medkits/first aid only heal the difference in hp you had when you started healing?

Right now if you heal with a medkit/first aid you will go straight to 75%/100% hp at the end of the timer regardless of how much damage you take while doing it. Instead of that, just have that extra hp tick down with damage too, instead of your hp just ticking down and the med healing you more at the end of it.

This way you can still tank earlier circles with meds since they do like 0.2% damage per tick but later circles will not be survivable because you can't start medding at 50hp to get a full heal from a first aid/medkit anymore.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

XyrlocShammypants posted:

The circle is already a massively lovely but arguably necessary central element of the game. Making the RNG even more oppressive and lovely isn't the answer.

In my experience the circle rng is pretty easily mitigated with smart play and being prepared for the worst case scenario

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Hooplah posted:

Someone itt suggested this a while ago and I still think it could work to alleviate this "issue" - the blue has the ability to do permanent non-healable damage. I'm thinking probably with some kind of warmup period, like once you take a total of 100% damage without leaving the blue, it starts dealing its same damage, but to your total health.

For all those times when you start several grids away from the first circle and can't find a car, that would be so lame.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I really need to start capping my games because I am the king of dropping and being unable to find a weapon or dropping and getting murdered by a guy I never saw, it's getting to be some sort of comedy routine. I never make it past 5m unless I'm out in a field or looting unopposed, it just feels like I'm doing SOMETHING wrong but all these streamers seem to land on an M4, my last 3 games:

I land military and loot one entire apartment block and end up with a pistol, go into a SECOND building and make it to the second floor where I find... a kar98 and then lose a shootout to a guy across the hall with an ak because it's a single shot weapon

I land prison, run through two hangars and a front cargo container and no weapon, get into a fist fight and BARELY lose vs a guy with a revolver who had just looted it from the second front cargo container

dropped power substation and was merrily looting, empty out the ground floor and got a shotgun and go upstairs, I hear a parachute go off and hear footsteps and someone lands on the roof? so I get into cover and then start looking around, get gunned down by the guy who got a rifle on the roof and just fired downwards, I never even saw him, wtf seriously this game

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Sep 28, 2017

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Bhodi posted:

I really need to start capping my games because I am the king of dropping and being unable to find a weapon or dropping and getting murdered by a guy I never saw, it's getting to be some sort of comedy routine. I never make it past 5m unless I'm out in a field or looting unopposed, it just feels like I'm doing SOMETHING wrong but all these streamers seem to land on an M4, my last 3 games:

I land military and loot one entire apartment block and end up with a pistol, go into a SECOND building and make it to the second floor where I find... a kar98 and then lose a shootout to a guy across the hall because it's a single shot weapon

I land prison, run through two hangars and a front cargo container and no weapon, get into a fist fight and BARELY lose vs a guy with a revolver who had just looted it from the second front cargo container

dropped power substation and was merrily looting, empty out the ground floor and got a shotgun and go upstairs, I hear a parachute go off and hear footsteps and someone lands on the roof? so I get into cover and then start looking around, get gunned down by the guy who got a rifle on the roof and just fired downwards, I never even saw him, wtf seriously this game

Someone at bluehole probably hosed with the loot distribution around you

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Someone at bluehole probably hosed with the loot distribution around you
Definitely bound to my character specifically. It's getting so ridiculous I need to cap it for people to believe me. Or cap and watch it again and see myself ignore stuff sitting in full view on the ground because it's slightly in the shade or something, either way it's good for a laugh

It doesn't help that I don't actually see weapons sitting on roofs until I land so I can't aim for them, I guess that's my PC not rendering them because I have 8gb of ram or whatever the complaint de jour is

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Sep 28, 2017

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Hooplah posted:

In my experience the circle rng is pretty easily mitigated with smart play and being prepared for the worst case scenario

You're not wrong but circle qualities and rng don't change based on ranking of players or skill. My guess is adding those oppressive changes would globally affect casual and more advanced players and it would suck. For less skilled players the suggested changes fix nothing and hurts overall gameplay.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Hooplah posted:

Healing items already have cast times, can't be used as passengers in cars and in the water and other dumb bullshit. So just make it so damage from the blue cancels the cast time on the healing item, maybe make it so you can still pop pills or bandages if you time it just right. Problem solved without crazy complicated bullshit like permanent blue damage.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Don't play the edge of the circle until the last few small circles where it chunks like crazy and you won't get shot out of the blue.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

This entire game is about mitigating risk. That goes for every decision starting at when you decide to jump and where you land. Watch the back of the plane and see how many people are jumping when you pull the chute. When you've picked your drop zone, start looking around you before you even land. Fun fact: when your chute is open you're in third person perspective so you can spin the camera around and look for other people in the sky without changing your trajectory. If you're having problems with looting then drop where you won't have to fight with the RNG over which potato gets a better gun first.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

my idea: don't mess with first 4-5 circles
after that, circles do more damage the longer you stay outside after a threshold of (some number) of seconds. The threshold goes down and the multiplier goes up in each deeper circle. IE, sixth circle if you wait outside for 30 seconds it ticks at 1.5x damage then 2x damage after a minute. Last circle it ticks at double damage after 15 seconds outside.

This means you can still have epic outside-of-circle journeys but you can't stand outside just healing in the endgame. :shrug:

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

I had an idea the other day that the devs should implement being able to take boosts (Drinks and Pills only) while being a passenger in a car. Similarly to being able to change weapons and reload. Realistically you have the real life ability to take a swig of a can of something or put pills in your mouth while riding in a car. Just make it take twice as long to represent having to steady your hand while in a bumpy car.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Bhodi posted:

It doesn't help that I don't actually see weapons sitting on roofs until I land so I can't aim for them, I guess that's my PC not rendering them because I have 8gb of ram or whatever the complaint de jour is
Maybe they're not showing up even after you land for a bit seeing as you're not finding stuff? I haven't had this happen to me, but I've seen it on stream a few times where someone lands and has to wait a little bit for the weapons to show up.

Try jumping later in the flight path?

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
I'm getting burnt out on this map, I hope the new map brings back the feelings I got when I first started playing this game. Whats the latest release info on that?

Ashrik
Feb 9, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.
The devs said they were looking into a solution to blue-camping with meds for long periods of time, did not go more in-depth than that. I would expect a resolution in maybe a year.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Athanatos posted:

Using cover in a Call of Duty game is called "head glitching"

Please don't be obtuse

HatfulOfHollow posted:

I just like hanging out in the ghost zone. Sue me.

The biggest problem about this strategy is that there is a big advantage in visibility when shooting from outside the zone in, when it should be the other way around. Fortnite actually got this right, because they are run by a competent studio.

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

I'm getting burnt out on this map, I hope the new map brings back the feelings I got when I first started playing this game. Whats the latest release info on that?

Never, because Bluehole is throwing a fit over the whole Fortnite thing. Epic is going to beat them to market to both consoles and they're just going to sit there and cry about it.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

VulgarandStupid posted:

The biggest problem about this strategy is that there is a big advantage in visibility when shooting from outside the zone in, when it should be the other way around. Fortnite actually got this right,

How does that work mechanically? Haven't looked at Fortnite at all.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Give people in the ghost zone a slight blue aura to illustrate the body thetans attacking them.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

NmareBfly posted:

How does that work mechanically? Haven't looked at Fortnite at all.

I'd probably make a video just to show it, but that would require effort and then harry pothead here would get on my case because he hates my videos, so you'll just have to check it out for yourself.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb
Fortnite looks loving stupid and terrible. I don't think they have any reason to worry.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

NmareBfly posted:

my idea: don't mess with first 4-5 circles
after that, circles do more damage the longer you stay outside after a threshold of (some number) of seconds. The threshold goes down and the multiplier goes up in each deeper circle. IE, sixth circle if you wait outside for 30 seconds it ticks at 1.5x damage then 2x damage after a minute. Last circle it ticks at double damage after 15 seconds outside.

This means you can still have epic outside-of-circle journeys but you can't stand outside just healing in the endgame. :shrug:

I actually like this idea but it could affect all the circles. Basically if you fall into the blue you take normal damage for that level as expected, but if you don't make it inbounds before the next level you take damage at some multiplier over normal, say 1.5x each time. So someone who falls out at the second circle will take damage at the second level rate while someone who was out since the first will take damage at 1.5 that rate. Subsequently if they still remain out of bounds into the third circle they start taking damage at 3x the rate, etc. All they have to do to reset the multiplier is step in bounds for even a second.

If you're making an honest attempt at chasing the circle this isn't hard to do because you usually get at least a minute or two of reprieve before falling into the blue again. This would only affect people who are camping outside of the circle and even then- it could still remain a valid strategy for a while you'd just be leaning much more heavily on the RNG favoring you and you'd still have to make your way into the zone eventually if you wanted to make it past the 3rd or 4th circle.

This way the blue still functions the way it does now and remains an option as people like it now- while the only people who would be truly punished by this are those who like to play Apartment Maid Simulator 2017 or those who were truly circle-hosed

PIZZA.BAT fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Sep 28, 2017

Do The Evolution
Aug 5, 2013

but why

fletcher posted:

Fortnite looks loving stupid and terrible. I don't think they have any reason to worry.

The foremost argument in its favour seems to be its polish. Maybe it's just because I'm new to the genre but I kinda enjoy the retarded poo poo in pubg. Like gambling on my life every time I get on a bike. It could stand a bit more polish, though.

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014

fletcher posted:

It's a much worse game, but it's free to play and cross-platform so that's what my friends are playing :shrug:

TJChap2840
Sep 24, 2009

fletcher posted:

How does it feel to be soooo wrong?

It's funny to see people defending the tactic of sitting in the blue healing up forever and ever when this thread slammed it during the invitational.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I haven't played fortnite's pubg version, but I think its funny that they couldn't design a real game so they just added a king of the hill game mode on top of the garbage they had and called it good.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Most of the reason pubg is fun is because of the rules of the game and not any particular standout mechanics beyond that. None of the shooting/map/movement/visuals/loot options are particularly amazing. (The vehicles are fun and it's not like the shooting is bad.) It's purely good for the community if others take that sweet game mode and put it on other products if that results in a better game than they had. I'm sure battlefield and CoD will do it soon enough.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Most of the reason pubg is fun is because of the rules of the game and not any particular standout mechanics beyond that. None of the shooting/map/movement/visuals/loot options are particularly amazing. (The vehicles are fun and it's not like the shooting is bad.) It's purely good for the community if others take that sweet game mode and put it on other products if that results in a better game than they had. I'm sure battlefield and CoD will do it soon enough.

I think this is true, especially if we get a frostbite pubg. But i do wanna say if we just look at fortnite vs pubg i think pubg benefits from the more realistic aethestic and gunplay because fortnite looks like lego pubg and i will never ever touch that poo poo

Jack_tripper
Jun 7, 2009

HatfulOfHollow posted:

Give people in the ghost zone a slight blue aura to illustrate the body thetans attacking them.

out of the many (terrible) ideas on the last 2 pages this one is actually interesting. I'd prefer something like a flare fired overhead though so people could see it from farther away

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Jack_tripper posted:

out of the many (terrible) ideas on the last 2 pages this one is actually interesting. I'd prefer something like a flare fired overhead though so people could see it from farther away
Make them simpsons radioactive green.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Jack_tripper posted:

Make smaller redzones constantly land on top of them until they move in.

Do The Evolution
Aug 5, 2013

but why

Thom P. Tiers posted:

Extremely localized artillery barrages

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Thom P. Tiers posted:

this but for everyone, at all times

Jack_tripper
Jun 7, 2009
when the blue envelops the corpses of dead players they rise to chase anyone still alive into the circle

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
how broken do you think a battlefield style spotting mechanic would be, where it sticks a triangle arrow above their head for your teammates to see

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Jack_tripper posted:

I thought mine was pretty reasonable. :smith:

Jack_tripper
Jun 7, 2009

Hockles posted:

I thought mine was pretty reasonable. :smith:

boosting in the car? seems like common sense really

Do The Evolution
Aug 5, 2013

but why

Bhodi posted:

how broken do you think a battlefield style spotting mechanic would be, where it sticks a triangle arrow above their head for your teammates to see

Ridiculously so
I love BF and would be the first to ditch pubg for a BF-inspired battle royale were it any good, but part of the fun of The Pubg Experience tm is that it's somewhat realistic. You have to convey the locations with words and compass readings and other dumb bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

VulgarandStupid posted:

Never, because Bluehole is throwing a fit over the whole Fortnite thing. Epic is going to beat them to market to both consoles and they're just going to sit there and cry about it.

Well there's a first. A game studio who hires lawyers to program their games AND defend their pecuniary interests.

• Locked thread