Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

food court bailiff posted:

A bunch? Wasn't it really just ClearChannel?

I know there's a few non-ClearChannel stations near where I live and they actually make listening to the radio worthwhile.

I can get two stations that play Bob and Tom all morning, one even does it 7 days a week

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Iron Crowned posted:

I can get two stations that play Bob and Tom all morning, one even does it 7 days a week

I'm sorry Iron Crowned, you never recovered from that accident, you've been in Hell this whole time.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

I'm sorry Iron Crowned, you never recovered from that accident, you've been in Hell this whole time.

poo poo, that explains why I'm in Ohio

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

A bunch? Wasn't it really just ClearChannel?

I know there's a few non-ClearChannel stations near where I live and they actually make listening to the radio worthwhile.

I'm pretty sure everything in my area is either ClearChannel, iHeartRadio, or now Beasley Media, expect for the member-supported ones. Most channels stayed the same over the years, but some big changes came for sure as things got bought by larger groups.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

About ten years ago now, a group of local music fans put up the money to start an indie radio station. It was great. Most of my psychobilly collection comes from listening to this station. They were great with community involvement too. Then some local businessman bought the station to save it or whatever and now it's radio edited alternative rock. Still makes me grumpy.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Iron Crowned posted:

come talk to me when you have three Johnboy and Billys on the dial

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

wait you loving morons were talking about boxing? hahahahahahahahaha who the gently caress watches boxing in 2017 hahhahahahaahahahaha

Guyver posted:

I hate to break this to you but any athlete that wants to make any money on what they do will be hitting the PEDs. All of them, no exceptions. The main advantage of steroids isn't that they make you jacked (a great bonus) it's recovery. You can train longer and harder which means more practice with less down time. You'll also be able to play more games or have more bouts.

And testing is a joke the only people that get caught are the clinically stupid or the people the ones running the sport want popped.

600 lbs goon sitting in office chair sees a man with any muscular definition: pff, at least i don't do steroids

Alaois has a new favorite as of 19:07 on Sep 28, 2017

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Knowing that radio stuff is scripted doesn't diminish the king of prank calls even a little, hell if anything I'm more impressed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRRsXxE1KVY

I don't know for certain but I'm pretty sure this prank call was the genesis of the John Cena memesplosion a while back

edit: listening to this for probably the hundredth time. "Who is Champ?" :allears:

Son of Thunderbeast has a new favorite as of 19:08 on Sep 28, 2017

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Alaois posted:

wait you loving morons were talking about boxing? hahahahahahahahaha who the gently caress watches boxing in 2017 hahhahahahaahahahaha

600 lbs goon sitting in office chair sees a man with any muscular definition: pff, at least i don't do steroids

yeah who watches boxing in the year when the second most profitable boxing event in human history was held, what idiots

better also insinuate that goons don't understand muscles or sports so they know how cool I am (as if my sweet 8bit avatar wasn't enough kekekekek)

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

come talk to me when you have three Johnboy and Billys on the dial

Which "type" of station does that show up on?

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Alaois posted:

That sure is a sweltering hot take on stuff people were talking about two pages ago there champ. Can barely wait to hear what you think about the radio chat. Not, like now or anything, best wait for the conversation to move on, then wait another couple of pages to really hone your razor wit. If you rushed we wouldnt get this level of quality insight and we wouldnt want that.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Alaois posted:

Goddamn, what a bad rear end, he thought, as he hid in his sofa cushions and the mysterious idiot continued to jack off on the dirty laundry

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Local rock station has Bob and Tom on in the mornings, but they also give the Deejays more or less free reign and run a bunch of cross promotions with the local bars that bring in mid-card bands. This past weekend they were playing mostly 90's/early 00's songs because they thought it would be a good idea and got approval from their higher ups to do so.

No way in hell i'd listen to the local pop station, or the eighteen country stations that are slowly multiplying on the upper end of the dial.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I'm still upset about 96.5 in Orlando being turned from a rock radio station to a simulcast AM talk radio station, but the one thing I won't miss is Bubba the Love Sponge every weekday morning. I dreaded hearing "Voodoo Child" play on the radio in high school because it meant:

1. I need to get up in a few minutes.

2. Bubba is coming on.

That man's voice is like a sandpaper chainsaw when you're just waking up. It's all Howard Stern clone bits that inevitably end with Bubba and his bros in the station screaming over the person on the line before disconnecting.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Knowing that radio stuff is scripted doesn't diminish the king of prank calls even a little, hell if anything I'm more impressed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRRsXxE1KVY

I don't know for certain but I'm pretty sure this prank call was the genesis of the John Cena memesplosion a while back

edit: listening to this for probably the hundredth time. "Who is Champ?" :allears:

I'm ashamed I forgot about this. Oh my god, it's still soooooo good. :allears:

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

chitoryu12 posted:

I'm still upset about 96.5 in Orlando being turned from a rock radio station to a simulcast AM talk radio station, but the one thing I won't miss is Bubba the Love Sponge every weekday morning. I dreaded hearing "Voodoo Child" play on the radio in high school because it meant:

1. I need to get up in a few minutes.

2. Bubba is coming on.

That man's voice is like a sandpaper chainsaw when you're just waking up. It's all Howard Stern clone bits that inevitably end with Bubba and his bros in the station screaming over the person on the line before disconnecting.

I don't know if they are still around, but I used to listen to these two dorks called Lex and Terry out of Jacksonville every morning back in the late 90s/early 00s.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

SpacePig posted:

I'm pretty sure everything in my area is either ClearChannel, iHeartRadio, or now Beasley Media, expect for the member-supported ones. Most channels stayed the same over the years, but some big changes came for sure as things got bought by larger groups.

Clear Channel and iHeartRadio are the same thing btw. Clear Channel as a brand name only exists for their Outdoor dept. But they are all under the umbrella of iHeartMedia, Inc.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Randaconda posted:

I don't know if they are still around, but I used to listen to these two dorks called Lex and Terry out of Jacksonville every morning back in the late 90s/early 00s.

I remember around 2000/2001, the radio station I grew up (KISW 99.9 in Seattle) with got bought out and the new manager wanted them to cut one of the morning guys, so they all walked out. Months went by of nothing but old tape, and they were eventually replaced by a terribly unfunny "two dicks and a chick" trio from Las Vegas, that they simulated to Vegas. They didn't last more than two years, as they were gone before I moved away in 2003.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Anything is better than The Sixth Sense or Baca Nation. Holy poo poo both of those are bad. Oklahoma radio in general is bad.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

yeah who watches boxing in the year when the second most profitable boxing event in human history was held, what idiots

better also insinuate that goons don't understand muscles or sports so they know how cool I am (as if my sweet 8bit avatar wasn't enough kekekekek)

you mean the fight that was somehow less legitimate than when one of the same participants fought a professional wrestler? or maybe you mean the fight with one of the most spectacularly botched decision finishes to the extent that most people just write it off as boxing being as corrupt as ever?

you're right, boxing is a very healthy sport with lots of room to grow

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Alaois posted:

you mean the fight that was somehow less legitimate than when one of the same participants fought a professional wrestler? or maybe you mean the fight with one of the most spectacularly botched decision finishes to the extent that most people just write it off as boxing being as corrupt as ever?

/
i sighed as i unsheathed my 8-bit katana

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Alaois posted:

*sound of goalposts moving intensifies*

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Alaois posted:

Yeah, because "healthy" sports like college football don't have ANY corruption issu...oh...

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Alaois posted:

*teleports beyond the goalpost* "Heh... Nothing personal, kid"

GoodyTwoShoes
Oct 26, 2013
I lucked out, growing up. The rock station from the next state just barely made it to my parents' house, and I got to listen to Jack Daniels and Tom Collins while getting ready for school. Those were their real names, too. :)

Jack, at least, was not named specifically for booze, although he exploited it when the booze had their anniversary. He has a twin sister, Jill.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

Alaois posted:

you mean the fight that was somehow less legitimate than when one of the same participants fought a professional wrestler?

What?

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Iron Crowned posted:

I remember around 2000/2001, the radio station I grew up (KISW 99.9 in Seattle) with got bought out and the new manager wanted them to cut one of the morning guys, so they all walked out. Months went by of nothing but old tape, and they were eventually replaced by a terribly unfunny "two dicks and a chick" trio from Las Vegas, that they simulated to Vegas. They didn't last more than two years, as they were gone before I moved away in 2003.

Whenever a station 'changes direction' (code for new management/music/owners) they usually cut the morning shoe people, since the morning show people are the 'flagship' for the station (most popular)

I'm just a fukkkin mid afternoon scrub

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Alaois posted:

everyone get a load of this idiot

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Wow, they usually at least try to be subtle about moving the goalposts like that.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
More radio idiot 'freude nostalgia: Mancow getting waterboarded

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUkj9pjx3H0

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

More radio idiot 'freude nostalgia: Mancow getting waterboarded

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUkj9pjx3H0

Say what you will this guy actually went with it.

Hannity being the pussy he is still hasn't done it.

MNIMWA
Dec 1, 2014

Boxing DOES stink though, especially at the Olympics

Anyways check this out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvogZ88qRTk

They test out some remedies for pepper spiciness and some of them work (some do not)

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
http://www.statesman.com/news/national/police-year-old-tried-kill-infant-niece-lacing-breast-milk-with-excedrin/EZJXrh5U2pNyxXpJrudWHM/

Police: 19-year-old tried to kill infant niece by lacing breast milk with Excedrin

Woman decides to poison her brother's 11-week-old daughter as a way of getting "even" with him. Brags about it on her cellphone to her boyfriend. Gets caught red-handed, milk is tested and proves to have lethal dose of Excedrin crushed up in it, (Mom found the bottle and never gave it to the baby, baby is fine) now she's on the run from the law and wanted for attempted murder.

dumb.
Apr 11, 2014

-=💀=-
https://i.imgur.com/pbIbWOj.gifv

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Zaphod42 posted:

http://www.statesman.com/news/national/police-year-old-tried-kill-infant-niece-lacing-breast-milk-with-excedrin/EZJXrh5U2pNyxXpJrudWHM/

Police: 19-year-old tried to kill infant niece by lacing breast milk with Excedrin

Woman decides to poison her brother's 11-week-old daughter as a way of getting "even" with him.
:aaa: Good lord. Are some people just born without a moral center or what.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Zaphod42 posted:

Woman decides to poison her brother's 11-week-old daughter as a way of getting "even" with him. Brags about it on her cellphone to her boyfriend. Gets caught red-handed, milk is tested and proves to have lethal dose of Excedrin crushed up in it, (Mom found the bottle and never gave it to the baby, baby is fine) now she's on the run from the law and wanted for attempted murder.

I was completely horrified until I got to the part where the bottle was so obviously tampered with it had green chunks visibly floating in it . Way to go there, killer :allears:

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

Christ that's horrifying.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
The boyfriend is probably going down too since he did nothing to stop it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
i was really hoping he was the one to report her or something

what a shitshow