Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Ze Pollack posted:

yeah this is pretty lore appropriate tbh. as Tyrion, you are not the Phoenix King. you are a general the Phoenix King kind of likes, and a general the Phoenix King's wife REALLY likes, wink wink, in charge of the garrison-kingdom Lothern. when you try telling the king of Saphery what to do, the repugnant little nerd tells you "that's nice, you can gently caress off now."

well, that's a lie, he says "your counsel is most appreciated, lord tyrion, and we will take efforts to bring your vision to pass," but he says it in his king-addressing-courtier voice instead of his king-meeting-an-equal voice, so the same message is communicated.

Using Intreige to make friends among them is also useful.

From what I can tell. Only Caledor needs to actually be beat up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012
Am I missing something or can you not disable watching other factions' turns?

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Im kinda loving high elves right now, just fielding small but elite units is great. Also my swordmasters racked up 800 kills in that first mission as Teclis against all the skaven. Teclis is a beast as well

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Which Phoenix?
Flamespyre Phoenix, the ability where you can spam it as it flies over a line and it basically napalms them.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
lol imagine playing as an Elf in a game where you can be a diseased rat.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

DeathSandwich posted:

IIRC even though Skaven have low leadership, they also rally faster and more consistently than any other race unless completely shattered. This can actually work to your advantage if your front line slaves break. If they chase the routing slaves you can run in and flank them with your non-routing poo poo and when the slaves rally they have a mini hammer-and-anvil attack that they can't really defend against because they scattered their poo poo to chase yours. If they don't chase the slaves and go after your next line of infantry, when the slaves rally you just bring them in behind and flank the poo poo out of the enemy. They won't do much damage but you'll get some leadership penalties that way.

Skaven is kind of interesting because they are everything that Skasnik and un-red-lined goblins in game 1 were except with both the advantages and flaws cranked all the way up to 11. Is the Skaven red line worthwhile at all? What sort of troop buffs to they get?

Good point, they also naturally get buffed speed when routing which seems good for setting up flank charges or crossfires on enemies that get kited.

Queeks red line has some :psyduck:restrictions, buffs that only kick in when the unit gets to rank 7 veterancy. Maybe they can easily buff the starting rank of these units, but while the buffs were good they weren't good enough to be gated behind rank 7 veterancy in my opinion.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
The rank 7 bonus are weird but with the changes to agents and the post battle option to gain extra experience it doesn't seem to be that difficult to get high exp troops. Also I love the new agents skill trees (at least the lizardmen ones), simpler but easier to skill up so the agents are more useful sooner.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Panfilo posted:

Good point, they also naturally get buffed speed when routing which seems good for setting up flank charges or crossfires on enemies that get kited.

Queeks red line has some :psyduck:restrictions, buffs that only kick in when the unit gets to rank 7 veterancy. Maybe they can easily buff the starting rank of these units, but while the buffs were good they weren't good enough to be gated behind rank 7 veterancy in my opinion.

IIRC the back half of everyone's red line is for rank7+ stuff because nobody ever really used the back half of the red line in game 1 anyway and a high vet bonus makes more sense over just doubling up similar bonuses to the front half of the red line. I guess it figures when you get that high a level to break into the back half of the red line you'll probably be getting rank 7s around then. Also +unit experience from campaign bonuses gets thrown around way more often now, and captain/fighter lords get the train army ability with almost no blue line investment.

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Oh god what did I just post?

DeathSandwich posted:

IIRC the back half of everyone's red line is for rank7+ stuff because nobody ever really used the back half of the red line in game 1 anyway and a high vet bonus makes more sense over just doubling up similar bonuses to the front half of the red line. I guess it figures when you get that high a level to break into the back half of the red line you'll probably be getting rank 7s around then. Also +unit experience from campaign bonuses gets thrown around way more often now, and captain/fighter lords get the train army ability with almost no blue line investment.

It's actully 0 investment, fighter heroes have +30 exp per turn to their army right from level 1. The skill just buffs the amount.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
If they never fixed it, the lord skill that added XP to recruits stacked from every one in the same region, so you could build units at rank 9 if you bundled them all into the same territory. Takes a bit of time though since your still limited to 2-4 units per turn.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Is it just me or are trade routes for Morathi a tad bugged? Despite having a harbor and even a shared border with some DE factions I supposedly can't establish a direct connection from my capital to theirs. My best guess is that my two primary provinces don't actually count as adjacent because there's some water between them, even though there's a land bridge right there that you can just walk right across.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I haven't really played these games since like. . . the wood elves came out?

But this seems like a good time to dive back into a campaign.

Advice / tips for Skaven? Or are we still working that out?

New Butt Order
Jun 20, 2017

Panfilo posted:

I like that they made 'expendable' an actual unit trait now. Other units don't care if they get massacred, unless those other units are also 'expendable'. This presents a weird problem.

I would've figured the trivial upkeep costs of Skavenslaves would encourage you to bring stacks of primarily slaves, since they could just wear down stronger units through weight of numbers. But since fellow units of slaves will be affected by the ld malus, they'll all just mass route. This means you're probably only going to want a few of them in your army, which kind of defeats the point of such a unit.

Worse, Queeks discount on Clan Rats makes their upkeep almost as cheap as Skavenslaves anyway, so with him it seems like it's not even worth it since for a tiny bit more upkeep you have a unit that is not necessarily good but considerably less crappy.

I've had a lot of success so far with using the slaves as my fisrt line and Clanrats, etc as reserves. The slaves take the worst of the enemy spells, charge bonuses, and etc and then have to fight the (slightly) better infantry in a slower grind.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

PartyElite's put out a pretty good guide to starting out as them. Apparently he'll go into more advanced tactics and strategies in a later video.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
55 turns in as malekith on Hard. Got my armies wiped out by the chaos spawns during my first ritual (they all spawned next to eachother and it was like 1500 v 1500, they took a pyrrhic victory and then chased me down when my guys split up on the retreat.)

Managed to win the siege battles and have recovered.

:siren: There is a poo poo tonne of free gold/resources just lying out in the middle of the sea. Get a lord on the water as soon as possible. :siren:

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived
So my second army increases my total upkeep by 15%, that seems kind of much?

e:

Start as Skrolk for your first skaven campaign imo, the Queek start is very unforgiving, at least on VH because your start is next to several factions that all have diplomatic aversion to you and it'll only be a matter of time before you have two lizard factions and one Helf faction bearing down on you.

My only real advice so far is abuse the spawn clanrat power, keep your food high so you can use it more and use ambush as much as possible. Also build the warpstone turbine chain in your capital very early and when starting as Skrolk make sure you build the corrupted spawning pool or whatever it's called for free food and improved income.

Martout fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Sep 28, 2017

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

What the gently caress is wrong with the campaign camera and how do I fix it?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Panfilo posted:

The problem with using rallied Skaven as flankers is that, well, they're probably going to be poo poo at melee. Clanrat flankers don't really do much in terms of killing, much less Skavenslaves.

Also, the rank 7+ skill bonuses are extremely powerful for Lizardmen (again) since one of their prisoner-execution bonuses is several turns of +100xp. Combined with their natural hardiness and killyness, getting gold rank units is easy for them to do.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

Captain Mediocre posted:

What the gently caress is wrong with the campaign camera and how do I fix it?

Top left corner, button farthest to the right. Allows you to adjust camera settings.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Hey all, I searched through the most recent 10 pages and couldn't find anything so I'm hoping one of y'all knows something.

I just bought Warhammer Total War II, and it says on the release news article

quote:

buy WARHAMMER II now and grab Norsca for WARHAMMER I as an early adopters bonus -

Which seems to imply that even after release you should be getting Norsca for Total War Warhammer Total Warhammer The First gratis, right? I'm not seeing it show up. Did I do something wrong or has CA betrayed me?

Strongly considering a grudgin' right now.

e: it showed up and I'm a dummy

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Hey all, I searched through the most recent 10 pages and couldn't find anything so I'm hoping one of y'all knows something.

I just bought Warhammer Total War II, and it says on the release news article

Which seems to imply that even after release you should be getting Norsca for Total War Warhammer Total Warhammer The First gratis, right? I'm not seeing it show up. Did I do something wrong or has CA betrayed me?

Strongly considering a grudgin' right now.

e: it showed up and I'm a dummy

I think it's like Chaos for the first game insofar as you get it for free if you bought the game in the first week of release.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010
Meanwhile, the Norscans appearing in the TW2 campaign consist solely of the same old marauders, not a monster in sight.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

Kopijeger posted:

Meanwhile, the Norscans appearing in the TW2 campaign consist solely of the same old marauders, not a monster in sight.

Honestly TW2 was probably way too far along to add Norsca in, they were worked on by separate teams. That will be a post-release thing, like the combined map.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
Did they fix the artillery range bug? I noticed Skaven warlock engineers can get +9% artillery range but the problem is that I know for sure the dwarves version doesn't offer any damage if firing out past their stock range.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!
I finally got my first heroic victory in Total Warhammer!

:v:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Only Caledor needs to actually be beat up.

Caledor is the place full of people the *High Elves* think are stuck up, elitist pricks.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

Perestroika posted:

Is it just me or are trade routes for Morathi a tad bugged? Despite having a harbor and even a shared border with some DE factions I supposedly can't establish a direct connection from my capital to theirs. My best guess is that my two primary provinces don't actually count as adjacent because there's some water between them, even though there's a land bridge right there that you can just walk right across.

Yeah I'm having the same problem of not being able to trade with anyone as Morathi.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Charge in and out of infantry with Doomwheel like a chariot or leave it in melee?

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Dongattack posted:

Charge in and out of infantry with Doomwheel like a chariot or leave it in melee?

Always be charging.

Speaking of, I'm kind of poo poo at my chariot game, is there a trick to make them go farther through an enemy? I've noticed even on thin lines my chariots usually make it like halfway through and wind up getting gummed up on crossbowmen or something. Do you just force run them to the other side of the enemy unit and let momentum take care of the rest?

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Mazz posted:

Honestly TW2 was probably way too far along to add Norsca in, they were worked on by separate teams. That will be a post-release thing, like the combined map.

Yep! Not only did they say that but they said that when the combined DLC comes out it'll likely be using the original faux Norsca.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
Well a hostile rogue army of high-experience Chosen, Dread Knights and two Black Dragons showed up on my doorstep when I've only just unlocked Stormvermin and my main army still has half a dozen units of Clanrats. Cool, cool.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Jimmy Hats posted:

55 turns in as malekith on Hard. Got my armies wiped out by the chaos spawns during my first ritual (they all spawned next to eachother and it was like 1500 v 1500, they took a pyrrhic victory and then chased me down when my guys split up on the retreat.)

Managed to win the siege battles and have recovered.

:siren: There is a poo poo tonne of free gold/resources just lying out in the middle of the sea. Get a lord on the water as soon as possible. :siren:

As Dark Elves in particular, get yourself a Black Ark early on for that purpose. Their reinforcement range is huge many of the treasure spots are fairly close to the shoreline, so you can putter along close to your land army and dart out to nab them without "wasting" a lord who could otherwise be conquering stuff on land. I generally pick the option for improving the army on the strategic layer, that usually gets you some money and items. Biggest thing I found yet was a hidden treasure with a sweet 10k gold inside.

Speaking of Black Arks, so far I've just been using them for supporting my land armies and coastal invasions, but they seem like they could be incredibly useful even on their own. Load one up with a dozen corsairs or thereabouts, sail over to the southlands, and just sack every unguarded coastal city you find down there, safe in the knowledge that your victims will probably never ever get around to taking revenge on you.

Perestroika fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Sep 28, 2017

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

peer posted:

Well a hostile rogue army of high-experience Chosen, Dread Knights and two Black Dragons showed up on my doorstep when I've only just unlocked Stormvermin and my main army still has half a dozen units of Clanrats. Cool, cool.

Rogue armies are whack.

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer
How hard is Morathi's start, really?

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
The only rogue army I've had to deal with so far is two necromancers and a dozen zombies. I killed them with my 7 stack saurus b-team and had a laugh about it.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Perestroika posted:

Speaking of Black Arks, so far I've just been using them for supporting my land armies and coastal invasions, but they seem like they could be incredibly useful even on their own. Load one up with a dozen corsairs or thereabouts, sail over to the southlands, and just sack every unguarded coastal city you find down there, safe in the knowledge that your victims will probably never ever get around to taking revenge on you.

So exactly how they're used in the fluff :unsmigghh:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Innerguard posted:

How hard is Morathi's start, really?

Didn't seem all that bad at all, really. The hydra is a great starting unit and will basically win your early fights on its own. Your initial province has a strategic resource in each settlement which gives you a nice boost to money and recruitment. To your south you've got the Ss'ildrator faction who's usually happy to play nice and serves as a decent buffer against Mazdamundi, not to mention possibly your only trading partner. Once you've consolidated your own province, your starting enemy will likely be attacked by the high elf faction just off the coast. If you're lucky, you might be able to time it just right and nab their capitol with barely a fight.

The main difficulty early on is nabbing your first ritual site, Vaul's Anvil, from Clar Carond, as they might well be bigger than you at that point. But if you're quick about it you might be able to blitz both their regions there quickly and sue for peace immediately afterwards, netting you the entire province easily. Once you're done with that, the world's your oyster. Mazdamundi's ritual site is just a short way to your south and fairly exposed, making it a pretty good target. It's a province capital, so actually getting it can be difficult (bring a Black Ark for fire support), but once you do have it you can just build some wall upgrades in there and it'll be pretty safe without needing much babysitting.

Perestroika fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Sep 28, 2017

FUKKEN
Dec 27, 2007
PROTIP: To defeat the Cyberdemon, shoot at it until it dies.

Perestroika posted:

That location is exactly the reason the trade route cannot go through. The only way out is south towards the ports.

Skaven feel like they are focused on higher tech. After accessing all different kinds of units the game opens up, unfortunately being reliant on those building chains being established.

Jimmy Hats posted:

Look closely on those random spawns, skull looking things have a treasure chest inside and most likely a 10k gold reward.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

PerilPastry posted:

Am I missing something or can you not disable watching other factions' turns?

There's a button for camera controls on the top left that lets you customize what you want to watch and how fast it goes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
With Skaven it seems like you want to chop up prisoners for food 90%of the time .they make plenty of money from their settlements, and replenishment is important but food is even more so.

Food surpluses let you expand extremely quickly. Normally any other race would take like 4-6 turns to get a tier 2 settlement going from a colonized ruin, but Skaven can get it instantly. This also means these settlements are less vulnerable.

The building pre reqs for tech are annoying, but at least you have 8 slot capitals now and combined with jumping straight to a tier 3 settlement makes it less difficult to manage.