Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Daraken
Oct 9, 2007

Maybe tomorrow, I'll find a home.
Is that goon species pack still around/being updated? I want to flesh out my empire list, but I'm horribly unimaginative.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Guilliman posted:

Yup, a few story/cool/good modifiers spawn with a "terraforming candidate" equivalent modifier (called valuable world) which allows you to terraform the dead worlds they're on. :)
I listed to a ton of feedback from this thread and several others, + videos, trying to improve the mod as much as I can this way.

You're the real MVP of modding man, if more were like you mods would be 100x less toxic and more fun.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Wiz posted:

I like to ring a system with long-range (artillery/bombers) fortresses without FTL magnets and put a single sacrificial station in the middle *with* a magnet. That setup can trap even large fleets for months, and provide support fire once your fleet arrives.

That's sort of how I do them too, put a cheap, crappy station in the middle to pull them in and then build a wall of fuckstations to murder whatever gets pulled in, got a bit harder since the increase to station spacing though.

Guilliman posted:

Yup, a few story/cool/good modifiers spawn with a "terraforming candidate" equivalent modifier (called valuable world) which allows you to terraform the dead worlds they're on. :)
I listed to a ton of feedback from this thread and several others, + videos, trying to improve the mod as much as I can this way.

Your planet modifiers are awesome btw, can't play without them now.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

Guilliman posted:

Yeah as someone who enjoys modding most of the games I play, the level of work for something like your mod is :effort: to me so I really appreciate the effort.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I can't wait to see what happens when I colonize a planet with +200% border extrusion modifiers with the new planet border sizes :getin:

They were absurd in the last patch, so I'm looking forward to claiming half the galaxy with this one.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

hobbesmaster posted:

Right but you don't always spawn close to crystalline entities. It's not like the space whales.

Other species always seem to wipe out the crystalline entities before I get enough power to get near the drat things.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Baronjutter posted:

What's the best fortress design to tank and hold the enemy for as long as possible until your fleet arrives?

I dunno, but last night I was wishing I could turn space ports into space forts. Instead of buying solar panels and corvette construction modules I want to buy heavy shield and weapons modules.

Similarly, I think it would be fun to be able to build planetary missile/defense bases that take up a square but pump out tons of attacks on approaching ships/bombers. Obviously they'd blow up first during an attack, but a couple might be able to do some serious damage.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Fintilgin posted:

I dunno, but last night I was wishing I could turn space ports into space forts. Instead of buying solar panels and corvette construction modules I want to buy heavy shield and weapons modules.

Similarly, I think it would be fun to be able to build planetary missile/defense bases that take up a square but pump out tons of attacks on approaching ships/bombers. Obviously they'd blow up first during an attack, but a couple might be able to do some serious damage.

Personally I would suggest that you get rid of the initial kinetics/lasers/missiles choice, and make the choice instead between combat, economy, or production. Economy gives multipliers to all station resource outputs and bonuses to the planet. Production gives bonuses to producing ships, and combat gives bonuses to the station's durability and firepower. You get subsequent modules that you can add onto the station which give it more guns/production/economy as currently, but they work better if you put them on their relevant station type. So if you spec your station for combat you lose a lot of production and economy output, but you should get a very good defensive structure, well better than a fortress if you fill all the modules with extra weapons and defences.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

Fintilgin posted:

Yeah something like another weapon that adds 3 little substations with more of whatever you chose, or something along those lines, would be a nice addition.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Wiz posted:

Fight defensively and wait for the rest of the galaxy to pitch in? You might get another Awakened Empire helping out if there's Xenophiles or Materialists around, too. Make sure to set your fleet to take point on so others can attach to it.

Seems odd that the Machine FE isn't moving. Is this on 1.8.1?
1.8.0 game converted into 1.8.1 after the uprising started (hence it starting 150 years into the game).

There are actually sleeping xenophile and materialist fallen empires, so maybe there's hope yet. It's disheartening to see them dismantle my industrial heartland without there being anything I can do about it, but their advance is slower than it seemed at first. Two of the planets spawned in lovely parts of my empire so I've been letting them have at it while containing the one in my vulnerable region. (One jump away from the planet that makes 75% of my energy...)

I'm playing rogue servitors who have been slowly conquering the galaxy with no respect for diplomacy until now, but I ended all my rivalries and slowly the rest of the galaxy is becoming more sympathetic to me it seems. They may not have been comfortable with my forcibly taking care of other organics, but maybe they'll be more sympathetic to robots pampering them when they realize the alternative is robots purging them.

I just feel so bad for my poor little biotrophies. They needed me to take care of them, and now a mad AI is killing them all!

I'll give it my best and possibly go down fighting. To protect the organics!

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Wiz posted what looks to me very much like something many people including my self have suggested: lay down some sort of anchor defense station that serves as an immobile fleet you can build more defense platforms at so they can scale to what ever power level you want. 10k fortress not enough? Just add some more platforms to the "fleet" and bump it up to 50k. That's what I'm hoping anyways!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Baronjutter posted:

Wiz posted what looks to me very much like something many people including my self have suggested: lay down some sort of anchor defense station that serves as an immobile fleet you can build more defense platforms at so they can scale to what ever power level you want. 10k fortress not enough? Just add some more platforms to the "fleet" and bump it up to 50k. That's what I'm hoping anyways!

Build your own enigmatic fortress woop woop!

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

hobbesmaster posted:

Right but you don't always spawn close to crystalline entities. It's not like the space whales.

Shield Caps are pretty much guaranteed, since you just have to research them. Hull Regen is really common as well. Living metal will probably be around by the late game too.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

PittTheElder posted:

Shield Caps are pretty much guaranteed, since you just have to research them. Hull Regen is really common as well. Living metal will probably be around by the late game too.

Doesn't guarantee you get it, though. In my current run I'm well into the endgame (nearly all normal techs researched and already through several repeatables) and neither hull regen nor living metals showed up.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

I kinda wish a Rogue Servitor could still do Genetic Modification on their bio-trophies. I put slow breeders on mine and boy am I regretting it now late in the game as I struggle to keep the pop up with my robots that have like over +100% build speed.

Jigoku San
Feb 2, 2003

You could just find a more suitable bio-trophy somewhere in the galaxy, I'm sure that once you show them the benefits of mandatory pampering they will be happy to procreate for you.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
What types of mods do not disable achievements/ironman? The only thing I can find is 'doesn't change checksum'.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Magil Zeal posted:

I kinda wish a Rogue Servitor could still do Genetic Modification on their bio-trophies. I put slow breeders on mine and boy am I regretting it now late in the game as I struggle to keep the pop up with my robots that have like over +100% build speed.
Can you get the GM tech at all as a Rogue Servitor nation? I have wanted badly to infiltrate and assimilate these pre-warp civilizations I'm spying on, but the tech's never popped. There has to be SOME kind of way I can do it.

Even if I guess it'd be a hilarious inversion of most sci-fi narratives.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Jigoku San posted:

I'm sure that once you show them the benefits of mandatory pampering they will be happy to procreate for you.

Is that too long for a thread title?

Stellaris - Once you show them the benefits of mandatory pampering they will be happy to procreate for you.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Nessus posted:

Can you get the GM tech at all as a Rogue Servitor nation? I have wanted badly to infiltrate and assimilate these pre-warp civilizations I'm spying on, but the tech's never popped. There has to be SOME kind of way I can do it.

Even if I guess it'd be a hilarious inversion of most sci-fi narratives.

I don't think so, seems like a lot of the food/genetic stuff is just completely blocked for robot empires, including Servitors. The capital building doesn't even seem to give food adjacency.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Baronjutter posted:

:supaburn: IT'S THE WAR UPDATE :supaburn:

Alternatively, that could be a habitat with a shipyard ring and defense stations? Deep space habitation and development update? But my money's on the war update.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Afterburners auxiliary really needs to increase evasion stat or something, there is literally no reason to use over other auxiliaries.

Also, war overhaul/rebalance, why yes please. :dance:

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

IAmTheRad posted:

What types of mods do not disable achievements/ironman? The only thing I can find is 'doesn't change checksum'.

That's pretty much it. As a general rule, all the core content and events and such are included within the checksum calculation, graphics and UI stuff is outside it and you can go hogwild changing it. There are some annoying exceptions to that, for instance I think adding a new namelist will also alter the checksum.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

OK, I have about 35 hours under my belt now, and after several false starts and mid-game abandonments, finally finished a game.

My general impression is that Stellaris is very... shallow. Games start out interesting and exciting as you explore systems, establish colonies and build your economy. Figuring out optimal exploration paths and prioritizing construction is quite fun. Fighting your first battles against space amoebas and automated mining droids, then salvaging the remains for new tech is cool. I like the empire customization system. Lots of options that can potentially lead to some very interesting games.

Around mid-game though empire management becomes a slog and exploration stops being rewarding, and late game seems to be all about managing your federation and trying to build huge fleets to beat "end-game content" which is basically some dudes appearing out of nowhere and attacking you with their own huge fleets (at least that's the one I got).

Diplomacy seems to be a joke. I half-expected this to be "Crusader Kings 2 in space", with several layers of intrigue (court politics, espionage/sabotage, propaganda, lineage management, etc.) but it's just a very basic declare war/trade/form alliance type system. Faction and alien rights management seem potentially interesting but I didn't bother with them even one bit and and nothing terrible happened, so they are optional/inconsequential, at least in normal difficulty.

The most surprising thing, to me at least, is how lackluster the combat system is and how disconnected it feels from everything else. There is no such thing as using line of sight to hide your fleets on the far sides of planets/moons and surprising the enemy with them (ship sensors can magically sense every individual atom inside a star system apparently), or pulling enemy fleets out of warp/hyperspace using stuff like interdiction cruisers. There is no difference between engaging the enemy fleet inside an asteroid belt vs. engaging them around a black hole. There is no boarding enemy flag ships in the middle of battles and capturing their admiral and interrogating them for intel. And because such tactical elements don't exist in Stellaris, it almost always comes down to who has the bigger fleet, barring a few edge cases (of which there are few since plasma weapons seem very obviously superior to everything else). And don't even get me started on land battles...

I mean sure, this is a 4X game, but so is Civilization and that game has a non-negligible tactical component that adds a lot of depth. Stellaris is more like an RTS game with a few 4X elements haphazardly thrown in.

Anyway, I'm glad I got this on sale. I think I got my money's worth but just barely. Maybe it will become a better game after a few expansions.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Holy poo poo, the Contingency just happened in my machine empire run and it's glorious: While my machine empire just barely fends off the attacks of one machine world, the other three active in our galaxy are wildly rampaging around. It took several years for my neighbors to finally notice they can't deal with this on their own and federalize. Meanwhile, our two fallen empires are using this distraction to declare war at each other. We're so hosed.

It's also nice how this crisis ramps up with the ghost signal and poo poo. I really feared losing control of my empire there for a moment, the last event before I finished the firewall-research really looked like I was done fore.

Seeing how my large galaxy deals with a crisis at 75% strength (like great big dumb-dumbs), I think I will dial it down to 50% for my next game, though.(Or take a huge map plus slightly less space desert levels of planet numbers. ) :suicide:

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Jigoku San posted:

You could just find a more suitable bio-trophy somewhere in the galaxy, I'm sure that once you show them the benefits of mandatory pampering they will be happy to procreate for you.

I recently conquered some fanatical purifiers, inadvertently saving some primitives they were purging that happened to make excellent bio-trophies.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
Is there a reason Fanatic Purifiers can't create vassals?

I tried to play a feudal fanatic purifier and then was sad to find I can't crate vassals as a fanatic purifier.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

idk seems like the name "fanatic purifier" is pretty self explanatory on that one

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Because you want to genocide everyone not you? Seems kinda straightforward.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Crazycryodude posted:

Because you want to genocide everyone not you? Seems kinda straightforward.

Your vassals would still be of your same species so would be cool. Fanatic purifiers even get a diplomatic bonus to empires of the same species

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

enraged_camel posted:

OK, I have about 35 hours under my belt now, and after several false starts and mid-game abandonments, finally finished a game.

My general impression is that Stellaris is very... shallow. Games start out interesting and exciting as you explore systems, establish colonies and build your economy. Figuring out optimal exploration paths and prioritizing construction is quite fun. Fighting your first battles against space amoebas and automated mining droids, then salvaging the remains for new tech is cool. I like the empire customization system. Lots of options that can potentially lead to some very interesting games.

Around mid-game though empire management becomes a slog and exploration stops being rewarding, and late game seems to be all about managing your federation and trying to build huge fleets to beat "end-game content" which is basically some dudes appearing out of nowhere and attacking you with their own huge fleets (at least that's the one I got).

Diplomacy seems to be a joke. I half-expected this to be "Crusader Kings 2 in space", with several layers of intrigue (court politics, espionage/sabotage, propaganda, lineage management, etc.) but it's just a very basic declare war/trade/form alliance type system. Faction and alien rights management seem potentially interesting but I didn't bother with them even one bit and and nothing terrible happened, so they are optional/inconsequential, at least in normal difficulty.

The most surprising thing, to me at least, is how lackluster the combat system is and how disconnected it feels from everything else. There is no such thing as using line of sight to hide your fleets on the far sides of planets/moons and surprising the enemy with them (ship sensors can magically sense every individual atom inside a star system apparently), or pulling enemy fleets out of warp/hyperspace using stuff like interdiction cruisers. There is no difference between engaging the enemy fleet inside an asteroid belt vs. engaging them around a black hole. There is no boarding enemy flag ships in the middle of battles and capturing their admiral and interrogating them for intel. And because such tactical elements don't exist in Stellaris, it almost always comes down to who has the bigger fleet, barring a few edge cases (of which there are few since plasma weapons seem very obviously superior to everything else). And don't even get me started on land battles...

I mean sure, this is a 4X game, but so is Civilization and that game has a non-negligible tactical component that adds a lot of depth. Stellaris is more like an RTS game with a few 4X elements haphazardly thrown in.

Anyway, I'm glad I got this on sale. I think I got my money's worth but just barely. Maybe it will become a better game after a few expansions.

I think this is pretty fair. It's definitely improved since release, though.

The combat thing is frustrating because at this point the de facto victory condition is beating the end game crisis. There's no way to win peacefully like civ with culture or science. Even your pacifist dudes need to be gearing up for the final hell war. So unsatisfying combat kinda guts the core of the game.

Personally, I definitely want way more 'society' stuff. I want to deal with senators, dukes, sector governors. Also, way more long term event chains once the exploration ones die out.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

quote:

Stellaris is more like an RTS game with a few 4X elements haphazardly thrown in.

This is true....but it makes me think of Sins of a Solar Empire, which itself is in the same general area, but has itself done more with the whole thing. Trade lanes exist and are creatable, defensive structures aren't easily slapped aside.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Zikan posted:

idk seems like the name "fanatic purifier" is pretty self explanatory on that one

If I want to kill all non-humans why does that mean I can't create a human only vassal?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I would not consider Civ to be a very high bar to pass for "in depth combat" but I give Wiz the benefit of the doubt because they've got decades of experiencing iterating on the same 4X concept while Stellaris is an entirely new project so I expect it to be a little rough. Here's to hoping we get a War expansion next though.

And then bioships.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Eej posted:

I would not consider Civ to be a very high bar to pass for "in depth combat" but I give Wiz the benefit of the doubt because they've got decades of experiencing iterating on the same 4X concept while Stellaris is an entirely new project so I expect it to be a little rough. Here's to hoping we get a War expansion next though.

And then bioships.

We need craftworlds.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
That could work if you only start with one and then can only make more when you unlock Megastructures.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=881169049

Not quite what you're asking for exactly, but fleet-based gameplay has at least been attempted.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Fintilgin posted:

Hell yeah. I want more defensive options in general (partly because luring enemy fleets into my fortresses is usually the only way I manage to win fights against larger fleets). So being able to turn a planet into a fortress that also fired space-faring weapons and could house and launch a garrison fleet would own. Maybe even have a new megastructure project could be to turn a moon or a planet into a deathstar-like weapon.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

I think that the game would benefit from more non anomaly events that focus on your empire's internal affairs. I really like the Elusive Carcosa event chain that's added by the More Events Mod dealing with a mysterious animal popping up all across your empire. It seems to just randomly trigger, includes a number of different choices that all seem to have different outcomes. That kind of thing is a nice way to break up the monotony of the mid to late game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

turn off the TV posted:

I think that the game would benefit from more non anomaly events that focus on your empire's internal affairs.

:yeah:

• Locked thread