Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Bernie _______
This poll is closed.
would've won! 87 34.52%
has won! 45 17.86%
will win! 56 22.22%
is winning! 64 25.40%
Total: 124 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK

"look some people are getting crushed but that is mostly over now and we can't turn back or the crushing will have been for nothing!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

theCalamity posted:

https://twitter.com/PplPolicyProj/status/913129727702990848

I asume most of that has to do with the recession that happened before Obama

Centrist fixation on the intersectionality of elites isn't a new strategy for social justice, it is just new paint on trickle down economics.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

I'm assuming the large dip corresponds with the war on drugs?

Edit: misread bottom axis as time. Nevermind.

This graph is sort of hard to understand, anyone want to lend a hand on the right way to interpret ?

Edit 2: so if I'm reading this right Obama greatly expanded the wealth of the poorest percentile? Or is it the opposite?

the bottom axis is wealth percentile, the left axis is how much wealth that percentile gained or lost from 2007-2016

so the poorest people are farthest to the left, the richest are on the right. if the line goes up, that means that group's average wealth grew from 2007-2016; if it goes down, their wealth decreased. the wealth numbers are nominal, not percentage, so things will read a little different than what you'd expect

a brief summary:
- the poorest 20% lost wealth. the poorer they were, the more they lost, with the absolute bottom percentile losing an average of over $50k
- the richest 50% lost money, with the rate of loss increasing noticeably in the richest 30% and again in the richest 20%. the richer they were, the more they lost, with one exception
- the richest 10% lost a lot more than everyone else, with one exception
- that "one exception" is the richest 1%, who made massive gains, being the only group to gain more than $150 worth of wealth in the nine-year period covered by the graph
- everyone not in one of those categories gained or lost basically nothing

the Hispanic graph is essentially the same, except the losses are even bigger among the richest 20%. again, the top 1% are the only ones to gain any meaningful amount

the white people graph holds steady at basically no gain or loss until it reaches the richest 20%, who start gaining wealth. the richer they are, the bigger the gain, except in the top 10%, where the gains noticeably dip (but are still six-digit increases). as with other groups, the richest 1% has a much larger increase than anyone else, but the white 1% also gains 4-5x as much as the black and Hispanic 1%s

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

The percentiles are relative by race, correct? Does the black 1% correlate to the white 1% or would it be more like the white 10%?

E: great post btw.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

Main Paineframe posted:

the bottom axis is wealth percentile, the left axis is how much wealth that percentile gained or lost from 2007-2016

so the poorest people are farthest to the left, the richest are on the right. if the line goes up, that means that group's average wealth grew from 2007-2016; if it goes down, their wealth decreased. the wealth numbers are nominal, not percentage, so things will read a little different than what you'd expect

a brief summary:
- the poorest 20% lost wealth. the poorer they were, the more they lost, with the absolute bottom percentile losing an average of over $50k
- the richest 50% lost money, with the rate of loss increasing noticeably in the richest 30% and again in the richest 20%. the richer they were, the more they lost, with one exception
- that "one exception" is the richest 1%, who made massive gains, being the only group to gain more than $150 worth of wealth in the nine-year period covered by the graph

the Hispanic graph is essentially the same, except the losses are even bigger among the richest 20%. again, the top 1% are the only ones to gain any meaningful amount

the white people graph holds steady at basically no gain or loss until it reaches the richest 20%, who start gaining wealth. the richer they are, the bigger the gain, except in the top 10%, where the gains noticeably dip (but are still six-digit increases). as with other groups, the richest 1% has a much larger increase than anyone else, but the white 1% also gains 4-5x as much as the black and Hispanic 1%s

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Mr Hootington posted:

Heck Yeah Loam is just like any other centrists. Fine with the status quo until it becomes something by they can't control so they turn facist and shut down the discourse.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

By the way, I'm not rgoyovitch but I do approve this thread.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Breakfast All Day posted:

Centrist fixation on the intersectionality of elites isn't a new strategy for social justice, it is just new paint on trickle down economics.

Not an empty quote.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Breakfast All Day posted:

Well-put. Boardroom diversity is apparently enough for them.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Majorian posted:

Well-put. Boardroom diversity is apparently enough for them.

It makes sense when you're rich as poo poo and those are the only people you interact with, ever.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Main Paineframe posted:

a brief summary:

Thank you for the breakdown.

They tried to spin this as a positive outcome?

Ugh.

That spike at the end of the graph will forever be Obama's shame. I still think he was a good president for the time, but there is still so much to do.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

What makes me almost sick to my stomach is Obama's total failure to realize the propaganda potential of the Great Recession!

It's like if FDR completely ignored bankers and trusts so he could treat the Depression like a natural disaster. He and the Democrats allowed the loving GOP to capitalize on the populist antiestablishment anger.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

The Kingfish posted:

What makes me almost sick to my stomach is Obama's total failure to realize the propaganda potential of the Great Recession!

It's like if FDR completely ignored bankers and trusts so he could treat the Depression like a natural disaster. He and the Democrats allowed the loving GOP to capitalize on the populist antiestablishment anger.

it was like having Clinton as president for another two terms as far as realizing why any economic issues are issues

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
So uh, why'd the Hillbot/Bernout thread die?

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad this thread is open again, but I've been falling behind trying to keep track of my bookmarked threads.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

The OP got butthurt and closed it.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

Mister Facetious posted:

So uh, why'd the Hillbot/Bernout thread die?

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad this thread is open again, but I've been falling behind trying to keep track of my bookmarked threads.

who cares

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Hey, I'm just asking questions here, I'm as interested in Party reform as much as the next shitposter (who isn't allowed to vote); I just want to know if it was forum drama, or something else.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

don't worry, barron will conquer you my man

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
e: whoops, that probably risks breaking Thunderdome rules.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Sep 28, 2017

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things
I'm personally confused what we are allowed to discuss in this thread while Thunderdome exists.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

twodot posted:

I'm personally confused what we are allowed to discuss in this thread while Thunderdome exists.

The Democrats, and how they are bad.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Guy Goodbody posted:

The Democrats, and how they are bad.
This seems squarely under Thunderdome purview:

quote:

1. Posting is strictly limited to the topic of politicians in the United States of America and why certain politicians, or groups of them representing various ideologies, are good or bad.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Maybe it's ok to talk about the same topic but in different ways in different threads

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

twodot posted:

This seems squarely under Thunderdome purview:
1. Posting is strictly limited to the topic of politicians in the United States of America and why certain politicians, or groups of them representing various ideologies, are good or bad.

Welp, can't post excerpts from Thomas Frank's newest book anymore then.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

The thing that is craziest about this, to me, is Krugman calmly explaining that "we have to live in the same world" while apparently unable to see that he's basically on another planet from the people that this is "hurting". He's a multi-millionaire academic columnist, and they are destitute unemployed in crumbling communities who are literally killing themselves with drugs. I sincerely doubt that Krugman would refer to having his livelihood destroyed and life upended for 4 more feet of some rich guy's yacht as "underestimated pain".

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

i assume (perhaps incorrectly) that r guyovich would've reclosed this thread when he made the thunderdome if he didn't want people posting in this one, or discussing its subject

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Speaking of dems being a waste...

https://twitter.com/Zeninjor/status/913036593115615232

every bit as bad as her husband

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Yeah, Michelle Obama, erm, sucks

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

C. Everett Koop posted:

shes significantly better than her husband but yes this is an extremely silly thing to say

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I liked her when she spoke about exercise and eating your vegetables. Both her and her husband are very charismatic and wholesome, and make a great celebrity couple.

They're bad in every other way.

Your Parents posted:

shes significantly better than her husband but yes this is an extremely silly thing to say

"When they go low, we go high!" *loving belly flops in full view of the entire nation, then blocks a real chance for change in the Democratic Party before running off to Billionaire Island*

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

C. Everett Koop posted:

i hate when anyone does this. leftist, centrist, etc, no matter who you are, you are not owed peoples' votes based on what they are

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Condiv posted:

i hate when anyone does this. leftist, centrist, etc, no matter who you are, you are not owed peoples' votes based on what they are

True, but to be fair, I'm guessing/hoping Michelle was referring to the white women who broke for Trump, even after Pussygate.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Seems kinda rude to decide for other people that Hillary Clinton isn't just the best candidate for them but literally somebody who has the right to speak for them.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Majorian posted:

True, but to be fair, I'm guessing/hoping Michelle was referring to the white women who broke for Trump, even after Pussygate.

Are you saying you would prefer it to be a race issue instead of solely a sex issue? :confused:

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Majorian posted:

What about Stein and Johnson voters? As people who didn't vote for Hillary, they'd be covered by Michelle's statement too.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Mister Facetious posted:

Are you saying you would prefer it to be a race issue instead of solely a sex issue? :confused:

Nah, I'm saying that a large demographic of women that one would have hoped would have not-voted for Trump, still somehow managed to do so, even after Pussygate. I don't know the context of her speech, so I'm just trying to give her the benefit of the doubt.

Main Paineframe posted:

What about Stein and Johnson voters? As people who didn't vote for Hillary, they'd be covered by Michelle's statement too.

They would be, and I wouldn't approve of that if that's who her statement was most targeted towards. I'm just hypothesizing on who she had most in mind when saying that, though. I would approve of her criticizing women who voted for Trump, because holy poo poo.

What can I say, I like Michelle. If I'm wrong and she was targeting left-wing women who didn't feel compelled to turn out for Hillary, that's disappointing and it was an unfair thing for her to say.

e: Eh...I'm looking at CNN's piece on it, and while I think I'm right, I have other objections to it now:

quote:

"What does it mean for us as women that we look at those two candidates, as women, and many of us said, that guy, he's better for me, his voice is more true to me," Obama said. "Well, to me that just says you don't like your voice. You like the thing you're told to like."

That kind of removes female Trump voters' agency from them, which isn't really fair either. It lets them off the hook.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Sep 28, 2017

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Main Paineframe posted:

Gorsuch is gonna make the whoje country "right to work" but hey at least we got to white knight those Johnson/Stein voters.

Fun fact, 50% of open Johnson/Stein voters I know are truthers. (The rest are libertarians.)

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I will never understand why Democrats attack people who vote for left wing third parties. They did it to Nader voters too. Yeah, they didn't vote for the Democrat candidate, but the Republican voters not only didn't vote for the Democrat, they also voted for the Republican. They're the people you should me mad at, imo.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

yronic heroism posted:

Gorsuch is gonna make the whoje country "right to work" but hey at least we got to white knight those Johnson/Stein voters.

Fun fact, 50% of open Johnson/Stein voters I know are truthers. (The rest are libertarians.)

They also made almost no difference whatsoever in the 2016 election.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unbelievably Fat Man
Jun 1, 2000

Innocent people. I could never hurt innocent people.

If you need to blame me for your candidate being lovely. It's okay. I'm a big, tough, mediocre white man. I can take it.

• Locked thread