Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Your Boy Fancy posted:

I love him to bits as a human being. And I wish he had a different job.

All five of the coaches that got canned this year (a new record even!) have kind of fit that same mold, so Olsen and Curtin should probably be looking over their shoulders. "Beloved former player/club stalwart" seems to not be enough anymore for most of the league if you aren't a good coach too, which honestly feels like a good sign to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Crazy Ted posted:

It's like a U-11 or U-12 team. Those are generally pay-to-play, no tryouts involved.

Of course, not that some adults aren't trying to ruin youth sports even more. I recently saw a Facebook posting in SE Minnesota advertising U-10 traveling baseball with a tryout schedule. We're now making nine-year-old kids audition for teams.

lol what

gonna get a Barron trump shirt

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

Dallan Invictus posted:

"Beloved former player/club stalwart" seems to not be enough anymore...

:ohdear:

Dallan Invictus posted:

...if you aren't a good coach too

*whew*

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...
I agree with this banner.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

joshtothemaxx posted:

I agree with this banner.

It's our personal favorite.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

I'm glad the Red Bulls haven't won in like two months. Really really glad.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Quick poll, who do you think deserves league MVP over Valeri?

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
Josef Martinez

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

VAR

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

Watch Chara get a red here

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

highme posted:

Demidov :v:

Villa's probably the only one you could make an argument for.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

highme posted:

Victor Vasquez or Gio

Valeri's stats are less impressive because the West is an absolute loving dumpster this year.

highme
May 25, 2001

camoseven posted:

Josef Martinez

C'mon, I was expecting serious replies, like VAR.

highme
May 25, 2001

XyrlocShammypants posted:

Victor Vasquez or Gio

Valeri's stats are less impressive because the West is an absolute loving dumpster this year.

Agreed, but he's scored in 9 straight while our target striker has been injured, and those games have moved us from the middle of the garbage west to the top.

Also, I will absolutely admit I'm biased as gently caress.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

highme posted:

Agreed, but he's scored in 9 straight while our target striker has been injured, and those games have moved us from the middle of the garbage west to the top.

Also, I will absolutely admit I'm biased as gently caress.

Yea, he's moved them up to what would be 6th in the East. That's assuming a hypothetical situation where they were allowed to compete for Eastern conference playoff positions with Western Conference opponents. In reality if they were in the East then Portland likely wouldn't even be in the playoffs right now.

Toronto has been uniformly good this year, and their consistency has to come from somewhere and someone or maybe two someones. These guys are sitting on 2.0 ppg or more 31 games into the season. That is really good and frankly it would be a huge strike against the league to award the prize to someone from another club.

Shammypants fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Sep 25, 2017

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
FC Dallas should just never win again.

They've been pretty good at it, lately.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

It's been really weird seeing Dallas eat poo poo lately and LA eating poo poo all season.

Loving it :unsmigghh:

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Shinjobi posted:

FC Dallas should just never win again.

They've been pretty good at it, lately.

Don't worry, they'll win again this Wednesday.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
DC has won four of their last five, and are still rooted to the bottom of the East.

It's almost impressive.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Your Boy Fancy posted:

DC has won four of their last five, and are still rooted to the bottom of the East.

It's almost impressive.

Being worse than New England this year is very impressive actually.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

Gigi Galli posted:

Being worse than New England this year is very impressive actually.

I wonder which team actually has more hope for the future. Both fanbases are just sort of praying for ownership changes, it sounds like.

I've seen a few Revs games this year, and you're at least watchable, just not very good? We've gotta live with 688 minutes of no goals (except the Ortiz flop). Would building a set of bleachers somewhere in fucken Portsmouth or something be better than the current hell?

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Your Boy Fancy posted:

I wonder which team actually has more hope for the future. Both fanbases are just sort of praying for ownership changes, it sounds like.

I've seen a few Revs games this year, and you're at least watchable, just not very good? We've gotta live with 688 minutes of no goals (except the Ortiz flop). Would building a set of bleachers somewhere in fucken Portsmouth or something be better than the current hell?

I shouldn't say the revs are terrible to watch, they're fine at home, entertaining even, though I haven't seen anything post-Jay obviously. I dunno. Anything outside of Boston city limits is not a solution; if that's never going to happen then the team needs to move for real. It's stagnant.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
Valeri is genuinely good, I feel bad he is spending his prime years in MLS

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Gigi Galli posted:

I shouldn't say the revs are terrible to watch, they're fine at home, entertaining even, though I haven't seen anything post-Jay obviously. I dunno. Anything outside of Boston city limits is not a solution; if that's never going to happen then the team needs to move for real. It's stagnant.

The Rev's have a bunch of mostly solid mls based players. Their scouting is utter poo poo though so whenever they try to sign an international they either get a guy who is underwhelming like Kouassi or actively poo poo like the center backs you picked up this season.

DC United is like the guy who in senior year of college thinks he needs to get D's from here on out to graduate and keeps cobbling together barely adequate coursework just enough to keep him from failing. Except his plan is finally falling apart because the professors are sick of his bullshit and told him to step his poo poo up, but he has coasted so long he has no idea what he is doing anymore.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
Almiron's hamstring will keep him out a minimum of 3 weeks. So he should be back for the playoffs, but he might not be at full speed at that point.

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

The Fire are in the playoffs for the first time since 2012 :yaycloud:

Popero
Apr 17, 2001

.406/.553/.735
Jesus that is depressing

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

Popero posted:

Jesus that is depressing

It absolutely is! And my dumb rear end bought season tickets every year anyway.

E: and tbf we should have been in the playoffs in 2013 (the year of Mike Magee) but a bunch of dumb poo poo happened on the last day of the season

Hello Towel fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Sep 28, 2017

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

Hello Towel posted:

The Fire are in the playoffs for the first time since 2012 :yaycloud:

I'm happy for you guys

TheBoyBlunder
Jul 3, 2004

Anyone else have the munchies?
The Rapids are a terrible team and played a terrible game last night. (Repeat 4 more times for the remaining four games this year) They are also finally mathematically eliminated. About time.

Meanwhile Rapids #9 Kevin Doyle is retiring from soccer due to concussion problems. team announcement that doesn't say concussion problems

Kevin Doyle's announcement that actually says concussion problems.

TheBoyBlunder fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Sep 28, 2017

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

TheBoyBlunder posted:

The Rapids are a terrible team and played a terrible game last night. (Repeat 4 more times for the remaining four games this year) They are also finally mathematically eliminated. About time.

Meanwhile Rapids #9 Kevin Doyle is retiring from soccer due to concussion problems. team announcement that doesn't say concussion problems

With all the poo poo going on with the NFL and CTE, I really wonder sometimes how much terrible stuff might come out in the future about our sport/league and concussions.

I know there's been some concern about children and heading the ball, and there's been accusations that pro teams haven't handled concussion protocols well, but nothing as systemic as what's going on in other sports.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

The west is going to be really interesting in the last couple weeks. I think Portland/Seattle/KC are probably safe but pretty much anybody else could snap up those last two playoff spots. Except LA haha

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

Nostradingus posted:

The west is going to be really interesting in the last couple weeks. I think Portland/Seattle/KC are probably safe but pretty much anybody else could snap up those last two playoff spots. Except LA haha

I'd be angry about that comment, but good god are we bad

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Does that 8 game unbeaten run even feel like it happened this year to you?

highme
May 25, 2001

Hello Towel posted:

I know there's been some concern about children and heading the ball, and there's been accusations that pro teams haven't handled concussion protocols well, but nothing as systemic as what's going on in other sports.

Went to watch a friend's son's U-11 game a few weeks ago. Any heading of the ball resulted in an indirect free kick. At U-12s they can head the ball. 6-10 years ago when my kids were U-11s, they could head the ball whenever they wanted.

Nobody that I know, seem to know the results of the lawsuit (English) Eddie Johnson filed against the Timbers back in 2012-13ish. Like it was settled quietly and nobody from the FO has let it slip.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

TheBoyBlunder posted:

Noo not the Store Brand version of Robbie Keane!

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RubBzkZzpUA

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

Congrats TFC. Hopefully this means we get another dwayne_dero_on_a_tiny_bike.gif

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

If this causes a forfeit :aaaaa:

https://twitter.com/PaulTenorio/status/914967225760612353
https://twitter.com/PaulTenorio/status/914967371470778373
https://twitter.com/PaulTenorio/status/914967534100795394

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
Everything I've seen just references the tweets that changed, but it seems like it's only a problem if the actually lineup sheet that they give the referees changed, right?

• Locked thread