Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
Well that lines up with my own experience. Good to know. Papparich tastes horrid anyway, so I'm not surprised they're randomly racist as well.

Also, the dumb marketing is that they advertise all, and I mean that, of their food with chopsticks as the main utensil. It's not full-bore racist but it sure is an odd choice for a cuisine that doesn't normally use them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Yeah, Malaysian food uses either regular utensils or one's hands. Even most Malaysian Chinese eat their noodles with a fork, at least in my experience. Only in the really Chinese areas of town, or in Chinese restaurants, are chopsticks provided, and even then as an alternative to regular utensils.

Platystemon posted:

Eating Malaysian food with chopsticks is no more racist than eating pizza with a fork.

It is impractical and/or really gauche though, depending on whether you're eating rice dishes or traditional Malaysian pastries.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

Platystemon posted:

Eating Malaysian food with chopsticks is no more racist than eating pizza with a fork.

not racist but it does make you look like a weeaboo

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
When I lived in Indonesia the locals thought it was goddamn amazing I knew how to eat with chopsticks. It was so surreal.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Platystemon posted:

My hot take: use whatever implements you wish to.

While not racist, you will look mentally unstable.

What's next cutting the pizza with scissors?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Indolent Bastard posted:

I have enough trouble waiting a minute for pizza to cool off, how would this even work?

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Indolent Bastard posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SxN_U2H0Xc

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

:thejoke:

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

... did Cobra get that pizza and gun cleaning kit out of his freezer?

EDIT: Sorry, that single slice of pizza in a pristine clean pizza box.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
Just LMAO if you don't eat pizza while wearing black leather shooting gloves.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Indolent Bastard posted:

Pretty sure you can be both:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Asv7EB1btok

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Barudak posted:

Recently I visited a friend of my spouse. They have a small child and a cat, and so were convinced their cat would be fine with me despite my background with them. She is so friendly, they said, she plays with our infant, she likes being petted, everyone in the neighborhood cuddles her. Despite this, I refused to approach the cat because why have a 7th unpleasant experience with a supposed nice cat, but my spouse, encouraged, put out their hand to pet the cat. It promptly bit them.

Cats are pretty easy to read but if you're not a cat person or have never owned cats I guess it could be confusing. Generally you let the cat get used to your presence and if it wants to it'll come visit you, but it's not a great idea to approach a cat and attempt to touch it if it doesn't know you. My parents cat is like my favorite animal out of the 4 (other dogs who are also sweet) in their household and she will rub up and down on me and is the sweetest thing in the world but she'll run from strangers unless they're sitting for a while and then she'll come up to smell them and rub on them

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Chopsticks are only good for Cheetos.

And they are loving awesome for that.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Although in the context of the rest of Barudaks post you must be emitting some sort of pheromone that drives cats insane, I have never seen or heard of cats bounding out of a room to attack shoes and the owner of those shoes lmfao

HerStuddMuffin
Aug 10, 2014

YOSPOS
A friend's cat has a shoe fetish, but he'll go after everyone's shoes as long as they're leather and left unattended and he isn't aggressive about it. Barudak seems to inspire seething hatred in every cat he meets. My money is on the werewolf theory.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Baraduk enters the room:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmqQPyNsXpU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

When I has just returned to the states as a little kid, like maybe five, we visited some family friends. They had a cat and I ignored it since my parents told me not to play with strange animals and I dont think I had literally ever seen one before. The owner asked if I wanted to pet it and then started walking me through how to be good with a cat. Finally they told me to hold out my hand while they also reached to pet the cat so it was comfortable. It clawed me so badly and deeply on my forearm my family had to rush me to a hospital to make sure I was ok.

In terms of dumb marketing Acclaim offered to pay people Acclaim got to put video game advertisements on those peoples tombstones.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Barudak posted:

In terms of dumb marketing Acclaim offered to pay people Acclaim got to put video game advertisements on those peoples tombstones.
Are there any pics of this? Personally I'd be down to have the Game Gear Ducktales logo on my headstone.

I miss old Acclaim :(

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I think my relationship with our last family cat was reversed - she was always wandering in trying to sit on my lap and stuff, but I hated that because she was always trying to knead my thighs and I was never that comfortable with that sort of thing. However when she was sleeping on my parent's bed I'd often lie beside her and just chill for a while. We weren't a cat and her human, we were a human who behaved like a squirrel, and a cat that had to let me come to her. I've always been timid around animals though.

On the movie spoiler chat from a few pages ago, I tend to avoid spoilers unless I don't give a poo poo, but sometimes old movies have been old to me on the strength of their concept. I bought Whatever Happened to Baby Jane after reading the wiki article (really only skimming it so I didn't take much of the synopsis in, I saw it on an advert on another movie set when that one came out, and researched it), and loved the ending, partially because I'd mostly forgotten what I'd read so it was still fresh. The twist about who caused the accident that put Blanche in a wheelchair, and the line "Do you mean... all this time we could have been friends?" hit really hard after the ever escalating emotional terrorism that Jane puts Blanche through through her jealousy, and certain reveals about the extent of Jane's cruelty and madness are really interesting, especially when she admits to reading Blanche's mail and tapping her phone by calling her out on a lie. "Do you think I don't know everything that goes on in this house?" is a great moment.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Barudak posted:

When I has just returned to the states as a little kid, like maybe five, we visited some family friends. They had a cat and I ignored it since my parents told me not to play with strange animals and I dont think I had literally ever seen one before. The owner asked if I wanted to pet it and then started walking me through how to be good with a cat. Finally they told me to hold out my hand while they also reached to pet the cat so it was comfortable. It clawed me so badly and deeply on my forearm my family had to rush me to a hospital to make sure I was ok.

Wow dude you are definitely a werewolf or some poo poo, maybe just marked

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

my cats are the sweetest and most genial creatures I've ever known, and if they actively dislike anyone upon meeting them (as opposed to the usual and reasonable short period of skepticism and caution) I'm just going to assume that person is actually a loving terminator

here's another one of the hunks of Personal Injury Lawyer Twitter, which is my favorite thing at the moment

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

I used to work for a company (let's call them University Research and Tech) that showed some strong initial growth but failed to impress investors. In response, the leadership team went dark for about a 9-month period to figure out how they were going present the next generation of whatever the company was going to do.

The grand unveiling? A "cleaner" logo and compressing the company name into a meaningless acronym (URT) that was supposed to signal broader growth potential or some poo poo. It was confusing, and literally every reference to the company going forward was framed as "URT, formerly University Research and Tech," so they never got away from the old name.

Three years later they got chopped up and swallowed by a private equity firm. Still referenced as "URT, formerly University Research and Tech" in media.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

https://twitter.com/KanyakSss/status/912624152548216832

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Pastry of the Year posted:

my cats are the sweetest and most genial creatures I've ever known, and if they actively dislike anyone upon meeting them (as opposed to the usual and reasonable short period of skepticism and caution) I'm just going to assume that person is actually a loving terminator

my friend made this joke when his cats fled the moment i walked into the room

later they both stared out the window as i left, seemingly to make sure i was gone

HELLBITCH
Sep 15, 2017

bad at posting

f#a# posted:

Back when Pepsi came out with their new logo, the agency that designed it released a branding document detailing their approach.

It was the laughing stock of the marketing world for a good few months. Some highlights:

PEBSI

Jokes on you, they got you to post about it and advertise them for free on Some Things Awful Dauexcam

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

I give up, what's sexist about this ad, besides the fact that it's a lady holding the 99?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Pastry of the Year posted:

Your cats are terminators, and they are lulling you into a false sense of security.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Choco1980 posted:

I give up, what's sexist about this ad, besides the fact that it's a lady holding the 99?

At first glance it seems like she is topless (hence "You are not seeing things)"

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Choco1980 posted:

It actually becomes more obvious if you view it in a regular Twitter timeline, as the image becomes a cut-off thumbnail.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Choco1980 posted:

the 9s are tits

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
The true sexism is how ugly the ad is

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N

Tired Moritz posted:

The true sexism is how ugly the ad is

Yeah the lifelessness of the features and the bright red O lips make it look like a sex doll, don't know if that's intentional or not

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Hargrimm posted:

Yeah the lifelessness of the features and the bright red O lips make it look like a sex doll, don't know if that's intentional or not

well, didn't stop me from masturbating over it

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

p-pero mi abuela... :negative:

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

p-pero mi abuela... :negative:

Don't 3 and 4 contradict one another?

Once acquired, Hispanics will always be loyal; you are dead to Hispanics if you lose their loyalty.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

jojoinnit posted:

Are there any pics of this? Personally I'd be down to have the Game Gear Ducktales logo on my headstone.

I miss old Acclaim :(

I could only find articles about it, not the announcement itself.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2002/mar/15/games.advertising

quote:

Acclaim Entertainment said yesterday that it would pay relatives of the recently bereaved in return for placing small billboards on headstones, and that the offer might "particularly interest poorer families".

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Krispy Wafer posted:

Don't 3 and 4 contradict one another?

Once acquired, Hispanics will always be loyal; you are dead to Hispanics if you lose their loyalty.

No, they don't, and if you think about it for a minute, I bet you can figure out why.

Traxus IV
Sep 11, 2001

it's our time now
let's get this shit started

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

In fact I've got a recommendation for trying it out: This movie didn't do so well so odds are you never saw a trailer to begin with. See Denzel Washington's film Deja Vu. Don't read anything about it, don't even look too hard at the key art. Just dive in, and enjoy the shift from generic 90s-style cop thriller to something else.

Apropos of nothing, I appreciate this recommendation.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

hello thread title

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
what ice cream is that? where did you get it