Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Xander77 posted:

Also, rightload uploads to lpix just stall out and fail halfway through, with no explanation. I haven't used rightload in a while - did anything change? Would re-installing help, or can I fix whatever the problem is without doing so? (Of course, I have no idea what the problem could actually be)

Rightload did upload, yes. There's a new plugin with a workaround on the main lpix site, or you can switch to ShareX if you want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

Xander77 posted:

I've got a problem with ifranview conversion and lpix rightload upload.

I'm using ifranview fullscreen capture and batch conversion. I have "828x444" specified in the conversion settings, but for some reason the files come out as 789x444? Why, and what can I do to change that?

(Also, I've got two lpix upload codes - one is a thumbnail, and one seems to expand the image a bit to fill the screen? I don't really want either of these to happen though?)

Also, rightload uploads to lpix just stall out and fail halfway through, with no explanation. I haven't used rightload in a while - did anything change? Would re-installing help, or can I fix whatever the problem is without doing so? (Of course, I have no idea what the problem could actually be)

I can't speak to the rest of the issues, but the lpix plugin for Rightload has been updated. You'll need to use the new plug-in (the link's at the bottom of the lpix site).

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

TheMcD posted:

It might be that you have a crop set in the batch conversion in Irfanview or are telling it to conserve the original aspect ratio when your conversion settings don't keep the aspect ratio, double-check your settings. If you think everything's fine in the settings, I'm not sure what else could be doing it.
This is what my advanced cropping options look like:

Edit - except a lot smaller. Seriously, what's the LPix setting to "just keep the image at its original size please"?

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Xander77 posted:

This is what my advanced cropping options look like:

Edit - except a lot smaller. Seriously, what's the LPix setting to "just keep the image at its original size please"?

Preserve aspect ratio might be loving with things here. What's the original resolution of the images you're trying to resize?

I'm not sure what's happening with the image sizes on LPix for you - I've never had a single thing like that ever pop up for me, it always had the images just the way I wanted them. Are you sure it's not your browser or something doing that?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

TheMcD posted:

Preserve aspect ratio might be loving with things here.
Thanks. Fixed.

quote:

Are you sure it's not your browser or something doing that?
Oh yeah. For some reason, chrome extends images to fill the entire screen (well, not the entire screen, the entire post section, whatever it's called).

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Question about using Debugmode FrameServer to encode videos edited with Sony Vegas with MeGUI. Is it supposed to take an ungodly long time? The estimated time is an hour and counting and nowhere have I seen it be mentioned that it takes ages for that step (this is before encoding with MeGUI, btw).

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Xander77 posted:

That's a thing the forums does since a while ago. Even without using [timg] images will be resized so posts don't stretch wider than the browser window aka. breaking tables.
If you make your own browser window wider the images should be full size.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

Genocyber posted:

Question about using Debugmode FrameServer to encode videos edited with Sony Vegas with MeGUI. Is it supposed to take an ungodly long time? The estimated time is an hour and counting and nowhere have I seen it be mentioned that it takes ages for that step (this is before encoding with MeGUI, btw).

Is this your first time using the Frameserver?

Order of operations (windows are all shown for reference)

Sony Vegas, select part/entire timeline to render > Render As > DebugMode FrameServer > Name file whatever you want

MeGui, open and press CTRL-R > AviSynth script creator, Find file just named > Save save > check output name, queue

The window that Vegas opens up while signposting isn't important.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Lunethex posted:

Is this your first time using the Frameserver?

Order of operations (windows are all shown for reference)

Sony Vegas, select part/entire timeline to render > Render As > DebugMode FrameServer > Name file whatever you want

MeGui, open and press CTRL-R > AviSynth script creator, Find file just named > Save save > check output name, queue

The window that Vegas opens up while signposting isn't important.

Thanks, that helped a bunch! Vegas still bringing up it's own rendering progress meter was making me think I was doing something wrong.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Trying to write an AviSynth function, but I keep getting "Invalid arguments to function 'Subtitle'":

code:
# Works
Subtitle("Test", align=5, size=64, font="Helvetica", text_color=$FFFFFF, halo_color=$000000)

# Doesn't work
function Watermark(string s) {
    return Subtitle(s, align=5, size=64, font="Helvetica", text_color=$FFFFFF, halo_color=$000000)
}
Watermark("Test")
Can someone explain what I'm doing wrong? I also tried (clip clip, string s) and "clip c" with the same result.

This happens with every other custom function, nothing particular to Subtitle.

I tried finding some other .avsi files to learn from, but I couldn't find any good ones.

ufarn fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Sep 18, 2017

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

You say you tried with the clip as a parameter, but is this what you actually did?
code:
function Watermark(clip c, string s) {
    return c.Subtitle(s, align=5, size=64, font="Helvetica", text_color=$FFFFFF, halo_color=$000000)
}
(That should be the correct way to do it.)

The Subtitle filter overlays a text on an existing clip so you definitely needs to pass an input clip to it.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Ah, I didn't prepend "c.". I tried to do that out of the function, but didn't know to do it inside because I didn't have any examples to go by. Cheers.

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

I wanna get a Super Saiyan Mohawk when I grow up! :swoon:
I'd like to create an SSLP for an old (as in, Windows 95 or older) PC game, but 1) it only plays in fullscreen mode and 2) attempting to record or screencap it only results in a black screen.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

dotchan posted:

I'd like to create an SSLP for an old (as in, Windows 95 or older) PC game, but 1) it only plays in fullscreen mode and 2) attempting to record or screencap it only results in a black screen.

Play it in a virtual machine (VMWare, HyperV, VirtualBox are options) and capture the VM screen from the host OS.

Or play it on real hardware and use a video grabber on the display output.

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

I wanna get a Super Saiyan Mohawk when I grow up! :swoon:

nielsm posted:

Play it in a virtual machine (VMWare, HyperV, VirtualBox are options) and capture the VM screen from the host OS.

Would you be able to walk me through setting up a virtual machine? I managed to get Windows 95 installed on VirtualBox, but was unable to have it recognize my computer's CD-ROM drive.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

dotchan posted:

Would you be able to walk me through setting up a virtual machine? I managed to get Windows 95 installed on VirtualBox, but was unable to have it recognize my computer's CD-ROM drive.

The easiest is often if you can rip the CD to an ISO image, but that won't work with many copy protections.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle
So, I've been making a few gifs using GifCam but I have the feeling they're too big. As an example, one gif is 960x540 and 7 seconds long and it comes out to 34 MB. Is that alright, or are there any suggestings for optimizing them better? I'm basically sticking with the default settings at the moment.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

The only sensible advice I can offer is "don't make seven second 960x540 gifs".

Video that poo poo.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

vilkacis posted:

The only sensible advice I can offer is "don't make seven second 960x540 gifs".

Video that poo poo.

I'm doing it specifically instead of video clips for the One Shot SSLP Challenge.

Which might make the advice :justpost: since it's a gimmick challenge anyways.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
If the gif ends up being gigantic, it's a good idea to turn it into a webm with this program. The quality will be exactly the same, but with a massively reduced filesize and load on peoples' computers/internet. The only hitch is that while the forums handle them fine, the lp archive can't display webms as anything but links that pull up the image externally. Also, some mobile browsers still can't play webms, though most can do Imgur's "gifv" thing nowadays. So if you're not having the LP archived, webms will do fine in the place of especially large gifs.

edit: And a webm technically is a video format, but imo it's pretty much the same thing as a gif from a functionality standpoint and wouldn't break the rules of the challenge.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
A note that iOS and possibly some other browsers don't support webm. Then again there's issues with MP4s with some browsers apparently. It's a pain in general.

Helpful hint for others I had to learn myself. The way the forums embed MP4s are pretty hackish. GIFVs from Imgur and Gyfcat will autoplay, so if you'll have multiple embeds I highly suggest not using either of those sites so those MP4s won't autoplay, plus you get to include sound.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

FrenzyTheKillbot posted:

I'm doing it specifically instead of video clips for the One Shot SSLP Challenge.

Which might make the advice :justpost: since it's a gimmick challenge anyways.

There's a 40+ mb gif of the entirety of Super Mario Bros on the first page of that thread. :justpost:

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Hello. I was excited to try out MastiDS, but the guide for it says it doesn't work on 3DS footage. I know I've seen folks doing fancy screen transitions and stuff for 3DS games. Is there an alternate version of it that works for 3DS? I had a read through the OP and didn't see anything 3DS specific.

EDIT: Actually I think I have been sorted. I was reading an outdated version of the guide. I don't really "get" GitHub so I didn't realize there was another guide in there. Sorry!

Silver Falcon fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Sep 25, 2017

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
Ooops! Wrong thread

Zain fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Sep 26, 2017

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

I am an idiot who has not used AviSynth for like two years. Please help me. I am trying to crop 3DS footage to just either the top or the bottom screen. I was going to mess around with MDS, but I realized the vast majority of the time, the interesting bits are only on one screen anyway. I might still mess with it if this doesn't cooperate.

Here is my script:

code:
raw = AudioDub(FFmpegSource2("O:\Will-it-Cat\WiC-test.flv"), FFAudioSource("O:\Will-it-Cat\WiC-test.flv")) 

top = raw.Crop(0,0,0,-240) 
top = top.PointResize(top.width*2, top.height*2)
bottom = raw.Crop(0,240,0,0)
bottom = bottom.PointResize(bottom.width*2, bottom.height*2)

intro = top.trim(0,1673) ++ top.trim(2805, 3619) ++ bottom.trim(3623, 4214) ++ top.trim(4216, 7017)
hunt = bottom.trim(7018, 7541) ++ top.trim(7542, 38869) 

final = intro ++ hunt
final = final.ConvertToYV12()
return final
Final result just resizes the video, both screens intact. I am most definitely doing something wrong. Vertical resolution of both 3DS screens is 240, and that's the only value I need to change, I think.

Please set me straight. I feel stupid. If the answer is "Just suck it up and use MDS, you big baby," I will do that.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

Silver Falcon posted:

I am an idiot who has not used AviSynth for like two years. Please help me. I am trying to crop 3DS footage to just either the top or the bottom screen. I was going to mess around with MDS, but I realized the vast majority of the time, the interesting bits are only on one screen anyway. I might still mess with it if this doesn't cooperate.

This is the sort of thing that's probably easier to work through in near-real time, so if you want to hit me up on Discord, I might be able to figure it out. The script looks good to me, though - what happens if you return top or bottom? You should just be able to change the last line and open it in VirtualDub rather than needing to render the whole thing.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Returning top gives me both screens, enlarged. Strangely, returning bottom only shows the bottom screen, like it's supposed to. Now I'm really confused.

I stuck my Discord deets in my profile if you want to try to hash this out. A friend helped me with another editing program, so I might just use that to save myself the frustration. But now I'm curious about why it's not working.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Silver Falcon posted:

Returning top gives me both screens, enlarged. Strangely, returning bottom only shows the bottom screen, like it's supposed to. Now I'm really confused.

I stuck my Discord deets in my profile if you want to try to hash this out. A friend helped me with another editing program, so I might just use that to save myself the frustration. But now I'm curious about why it's not working.
Actually it might be worth hitting up the creator of the script directly; here is their SA profile (https://forums.somethingawful.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=172995) and it looks like they can get DM's. They were a massive help to me when I was using the script.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Silver Falcon posted:

Give top = top.Crop (0, 0, 0, 240) a try and see how that works for you. I don't think there should be a difference, but Crop can be kind of weird.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

I realized my problem was the footage I recorded off OBS was weird. Basically I set the resolution too high. Since it was only an 8 minute or so test thing, I just re-recorded and voila! It works now. My script works as written, no issues.

Now, one last thing, is there anything on the GitHub thing for MDS that's like "an idiot's guide to using this thing?" I mean really basic stuff like Import MDS script here, Import your script here, run these commands to do this. The intro Readme doesn't cover any of the commands you can use.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Anyone have any suggestions on reducing the clickity-clacky of mouse and keyboard sounds?

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Jamesman posted:

Anyone have any suggestions on reducing the clickity-clacky of mouse and keyboard sounds?
Post-commentary? Or I think there's a click removal option in audacity, though I'm not sure how solid that is.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
I do have a click removal filter for my program of choice (Goldwave), but it's not really designed for mechanical clicks like that. More like audio pops and crackles. Using it on a vocal track shreds up the voice and doesn't have much impact on the keyboard noises.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Don't talk and type. Then you can manually remove the clicks afterward.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008
Use a quieter mouse and keyboard or move the mic away from the mouse and keyboard.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Jamesman posted:

Buy o-rings for your keyboard if you haven't already?

Other than that, I don't know how much more you can do beyond lowering your gain.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

It's almost never worth the work to attempt fixing a bad recording with post-editing. You need to make sure the recording is good in the first place. The time taken to manually edit out keyboard clacking and mouse clicking would be better spent acting the entire commentary track over again in a new recording.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
If you have an XLR mic, you can also replace your condenser with a dynamic microphone to reduce the pickup pattern.

Other than that, you can try positioning and your mic in different ways, but if echo is not the issue, that probably won't do much for you.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

What are my best options for capturing both screen output and audio on OSX? I want to capture some audio+video from ROMs running in OpenEmu and I tried using OBS for this purpose, but OBS doesn't seem to handle screen audio capturing out-of-the-box on OSX.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Pollyanna posted:

What are my best options for capturing both screen output and audio on OSX? I want to capture some audio+video from ROMs running in OpenEmu and I tried using OBS for this purpose, but OBS doesn't seem to handle screen audio capturing out-of-the-box on OSX.

The problem you're running into is that OSX doesn't by default provide an input sound channel (i.e. accessible to recording devices) that is what its speakers output. Install Soundflower and it'll do that for you (splitting the speaker output into speaker output and an internal input). I've had some issues with it making the speakers pop or go mute sometimes, but the captured audio was always fine.